Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Someone bit the head off.
    I was hoping no one else saw that.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Sushi is overrated as hell to begin with, so it's obvious it's also going to be overpriced. People like to spend thousands on computers that are shit as well (apple).

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone bit the head off.
    *belches* Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Looks like imitation crab meat in that pic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You should probably pass on buying the $1k coat from your other thread, if you're worried about $9 sushi.
    Wrong it adds up to $50 + for a night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No. Stuff takes skill. People pay like a 100 bucks for a few dribbles haute cuisine at a French place. "Ethnic" food is underpriced in the West imho.
    pretty much. I mean sushi kinda comes closer to what the prices should be.. but even then - the rolls above are special rolls. even in my area where we don't have New York City's "buy as a walk in - get 50% off on basic rolls" - basic rolls are $4-7 each. (eel avocado rolls which are my rolls of choice are usually $6) now. they are not as hard to make as some people think (at least the rolling and cutting part for basic rolls). but you DO need a bit of practice before they look nice and more importantly - the prep prior to actual process of rolling is pretty time consuming and fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Wrong it adds up to $50 + for a night out.
    I'm not going to question your math. It's the part in bold that's important. You can pay for a night out or you can just stay home and make another shame bowl for less than a few dollars. That would generally be day or two old rice, whatever I pull out of my freezer, and whatever condiments I have around. I'd price it at a dollar or two.

That's what I eat, when I cook for myself at home. I'm a professional chef. AND THAT'S WHAT I MAKE FOR MYSELF. Can go into long rants about the bowl of shame. Might even write a cookbook on the concept.

One week at what I consider a living wage? You can buy that jacket. Or you can take 20 people out for an experience. Of course, then you're broke as far as that week is concerned. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    pretty much. I mean sushi kinda comes closer to what the prices should be.. but even then - the rolls above are special rolls. even in my area where we don't have New York City's "buy as a walk in - get 50% off on basic rolls" - basic rolls are $4-7 each. (eel avocado rolls which are my rolls of choice are usually $6) now. they are not as hard to make as some people think (at least the rolling and cutting part for basic rolls). but you DO need a bit of practice before they look nice and more importantly - the prep prior to actual process of rolling is pretty time consuming and fiddly.
    I once worked in a Mexican restaurant. True Mexican. No matter your skill level coming in, you spent weeks just making rice, guacamole, various salsas, and frying tortilla chips. Doesn't matter if you're Michelin Star quality. You went from the basics up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGhostDS View Post
    60$ and you have enough of those items for 150-200$ of sushi in a shop

Tuna steak is probably the most overpriced fish you can get, but damn its good, same thing with crab not to be mixed with Pollock which a lot of bad shop tend to call "crab" and sell the same price, which is bs.

P.s. There is also the amount of skill needed to make them (very) fast, appreciate what they do, it take an hour for the average person to make 6 rolls, for them it take minutes.
    I suppose if you give a shit what it looks like but given the same ingredients, the fancy looking one you pay $25 for in a restaurant, would taste exactly the same as the one you could make at home just molding all of the ingredients together in a ball in your hand
    Last edited by Orlong; 2017-01-08 at 03:04 AM.

That's not sushi. Everything is fried.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    exactly.

I don't understand how some people fail to see pricing structure. Sure there are things that are actually overpriced like beats by Dr. Dre, but some people only value food in what the food actually costs and fail to see that they need to pay the people that prepare the food, they pay the locality and all that stuff that adds up to the cost of preparing that food.
    No, You fail to understand the mark up people put on Sushi for no other reason than "It's Exotic" whereas it is just finger Food. As I said I was a Chef, I balanced Menus. Sushi is way overpriced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    That's not sushi. Everything is fried.
    For our purposes, it is sushi.

Plus the avocado isn't fried. The sushi rice isn't fried..

10+ Year Old Account
    Sushi is the most beautiful looking food that I would never ever eat. I'm actually the only person I know who don't like sushi. When people order it, I always order something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there's also the fact that we are entering a fish crisis where fish may become overfished and certain species may go extinct in the next 50 years.
    Which is why we have fish farms. We can breed all the fish we ever need

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I suppose if you give a shit what it looks like but given the same ingredient the fancy looking one you pay $25 for in a restaurant, would taste exactly the same as the one you could make at home just molding all of the ingredients together in a ball in your hand
    So do it.

Food cost is typically 25% to 40% of your meal. The rest is overhead, and I know you're intelligent enough to calculate that even on a very profitable dish, the restaurant only makes 10-20% profit.

You're also intelligent enough to understand economies of scale. Sure, if you could buy in micro-portions you could make a $15 sandwich yourself for a couple dollars. The reality, however, is you now have 2/3rds of a French loaf, 3/4ths of some deli meat, most of your cheese, some greens you'll pretend should make a salad but never do... in other words, waste.

And no, just plopping ingredients into your hand doesn't work. That goes back to my packet of slush a few posts up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's good, it's worth it. Wash away any regrets with some sake bombs.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

I once worked in a Mexican restaurant. True Mexican. No matter your skill level coming in, you spent weeks just making rice, guacamole, various salsas, and frying tortilla chips. Doesn't matter if you're Michelin Star quality. You went from the basics up.
    sounds fair.
    I just mean.. you can make passable rolls with some practice at home. however. despite being able to make passable stuff at home - I still prefer to buy them from a restaurant, because it IS worth it not having to deal with seasoning and chilling rice just right, other messiness of the prep, not to mention - I have no damn clue how to cook eel the way I prefer, so I would typically buy precooked anyways. in any case... being served and cleaned up after - ALONE, adds to the value.

Which is why we have fish farms. We can breed all the fish we ever need
    Ever tasted the difference between wild-caught salmon vs farmed salmon?

Ever read the research saying the former is better for us, various reasons. Switch boats. Do some research on catfish, specificialy the conditions they have in their farms.

Again, I have a packet of slush with all your nutrients if you don't care...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I typically drop a $100ish when I go out for Sushi with my wife. But we like Nigiri so we pay more for that (4-6 per 2 pieces) and we usually get at least one fancy roll too. Considering that they have to use higher quality materials and have specialized training you pay more for that.
    Specialized training? You act like you need to go to college for 4 years to roll up some seaweed and rice and fish into a log and cut into 4 or 8 pieces. You could probably learn it with less than a week of watching youtube videos or practicing with someone who already makes it

Come on, man. At least eat some Kraft Mac & Cheese. That shit's like 50 cents a box and amazing.
    Dude, it's like $1 here, and only if it's on special in those five packs. Easy Mac is like $1.29 normally.

But totally, you can smash up regular Kraft MnC so many ways. Add spicy mustard, hot sauce, and oregano. That's just one.

I haven't even gotten to what we can do with instant ramen seasoning packets...

I suppose if you give a shit what it looks like but given the same ingredients, the fancy looking one you pay $25 for in a restaurant, would taste exactly the same as the one you could make at home just molding all of the ingredients together in a ball in your hand
    Cooking With Orlong on PBS.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland