View Poll Results: Is this jacket worth it?

Voters
213. This poll is closed
  • Yes

94 44.13%
  • No

119 55.87%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's a beautiful rain coat and it does serve its function, I am just super fucking pissed that you can't have anything at all touch the coat while wearing it which does not seem normal to me. Like, I was afraid to rest my back against something after contemplating wearing it for a second time, but didn't want to spend another three hours trying to get stains out, which is why it's on my coat rack to this day. I have a feeling that is why it was discounted.
    This is exactly what I mean in my post right above this one. Are you trying to say people have luck with white clothing not getting completely trashed looking at the slightest touch of dust?

You say "you can't have anything at all touch the coat while wearing it", so are you trying to say these $1000 white clothing people buy can accidentally touch the slighest bit of dirt on a car door handle and it wipes right off, or if you wash the item of clothing it comes right out? Perhaps that's my problem, I'm not instantly washing the clothing if that happens, but I sure as hell would never want to have to do that either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Wealth and worth is all relative, right? /rolleyes

I spent $120 CAD on my new Vans jacket and it was on sale for 20% off. That's as high as I'd be willing to go; What's paying more going to get me other than a different shade of black or grey?
    As if that jacket is gonna keep you warm in -15 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Was looking at the menu and a green dragon roll is going for 14 bucks at a decent restaurant?

By the time you buy a few other items you're gonna be spending what? $50+ just for a night out when you include tax and tips. Pretty crazy.
    I like sushi rolls as much as anyone but you could afford 3-4 good meals with that price.

This makes this whole coat thread just funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    This makes this whole coat thread just funny.
    Not really. One is a coat, one is dinner. Your logic doesn't add up at all

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    This is exactly what I mean in my post right above this one. Are you trying to say people have luck with white clothing not getting completely trashed looking at the slightest touch of dust?

You say "you can't have anything at all touch the coat while wearing it", so are you trying to say these $1000 white clothing people buy can accidentally touch the slighest bit of dirt on a car door handle and it wipes right off, or if you wash the item of clothing it comes right out? Perhaps that's my problem, I'm not instantly washing the clothing if that happens, but I sure as hell would never want to have to do that either.
    So with my other white coats, I get crap on them all the time. Like, I have spilled coffee on my $400 cream colored North Face parka too many times to count. However, it comes out every single time with a bit of soap and water in the wash. Sames goes with the cheap-ish London Fog raincoat. This raincoat in question was washed several times with several different stain removers, and the staining did not come out until I used nail polish remover. And that process still took several hours. Mind you, I didn't actually spill anything on that coat, the staining simply came from the coat touching other things while wearing it (messenger bag, shopping bags).

My experience with the white raincoat is unusual, especially given the material. Now, if I was wearing a white jacket made out of canvas material, then I'd definitely expect to get dirt all over it (although I'd hope that it would get clean again with a bit of bleach in the wash).

You know, I've always been curious how people can have white clothing (ESPECIALLY shoes) for more than a few weeks and still have zero stains on it. I mean, just touching a car door handle is going to get dirt on it.

Shoes are a definite though, I have zero idea how people can have white shoes and virtually no dirt on them.
    My 2 pairs of white shoes do get stains on them It's annoying! Invent white boots that are immune to stains, and you're an instant billionaire, I promise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not really. One is a coat, one is dinner. Your logic doesn't add up at all
    Yea really cause it seems ur theme of the day is complaining about prices at places.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    My 2 pairs of white shoes do get stains on them It's annoying! Invent white boots that are immune to stains, and you're an instant billionaire, I promise!
    Exactly though, I'm talking about people who can own a pair of white shoes for more than a month and they still look brand new. It's mind-boggling.

$250 dollars.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Exactly though, I'm talking about people who can own a pair of white shoes for more than a month and they still look brand new. It's mind-boggling.
    Well you can wash some pairs of shoes, some are also made out of a stain-resistant material. Also possible that they don't wear the shoes very often or for very long.

Need to keep wiping them clean literally after every visit outside. ^^ Basically same with my white pants in not so great weathers. They go straight into laundry after one use because they get dirty below knees.

Maybe I'll try treating the jacket with one of those super hydrophonic stain resistant/water repellant sprays. I'm not using the jacket anyway so if it ruins the fabric then w/e.

Between this and your sushi thread, it seems like your problem is that you have a taste for trendy and fashionable things, but don't really have the money to afford that kind of lifestyle, to which I say, welcome to the real world. This isn't to say that it's necessarily wrong to buy overpriced stuff for stupid reasons, but you can't be blowing your money left and right and then turn around and complain about the cost of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Maybe I'll try treating the jacket with one of those super hydrophonic stain resistant/water repellant sprays. I'm not using the jacket anyway so if it ruins the fabric then w/e.
    Worth a try I think, if you're already not using it because of stains. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Between this and your sushi thread, it seems like your problem is that you have a taste for trendy and fashionable things, but don't really have the money to afford that kind of lifestyle, to which I say, welcome to the real world. This isn't to say that it's necessarily wrong to buy overpriced stuff for stupid reasons, but you can't be blowing your money left and right and then turn around and complain about the cost of living.
    Yeah. However, I think that if you live in a cold climate (like the OP does) spending a lot of money on a coat is justified. It will last you a long time....I don't know about $1k per se but my North Face jacket has lasted me nearly a decade, and will likely last me several more years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Worth a try I think, if you're already not using it because of stains. ^^
    It's either that or use it when it's going to touch ABSOLUTELY NOTHING which seems pretty unreasonable, even if I forego a backpack while hiking....

Deleted
    I would look at women a loot different if they would only wear very very expensive stuff. Hope women invest a lot in this.

I would actually look at them in a 2D environment!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Nice armchair analysis and way off. Try again though. I just want value. That's what wise people do

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Looking at Canada current temperatures pretty much -20 c to -30 c, good winter clothes seem no extra luxury.

However there's a big difference in picking clothes based on style, trends, brand names or just regular, more expensive isn't automaticly better.

I use this map usually to quickly view the world temperatures http://www.infoclimat.fr/cartes/3d.php , let's just say , there was snow here in the morning but now it's in the "green" again, +5c.

Western European weather shifts around a lot the last weeks based on wind directions, and sea temperatures.

I was in finland last year, and 1 night of -20 was not something I was used to
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-01-08 at 04:04 AM.

Yes, 1000 is too much for a jacket.

No one needs to spend more than 200 on a jacket.