Thread: Vaping

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I tried vaping for a while, but it just wasn't doing it for me since they didn't really replace cigarettes and I ended up smoking in addition to vaping, which pretty much made the latter entirely pointless. I eventually just decided to quit cold turkey and as far as I'm concerned, that's really the only way it'll ever really happen.
    I quit smoking years before I started vaping, problem is no matter how you quit the desire to smoke is always there.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

I learned about vaping from the hilarious h3h3 parody on his youtube channel. From there I did some investigating and found some quite alarming indications that it wasn't a good idea.

The medium to which these liquid flavors are manufactured is not controlled or regulated by the FDA. An unknown amount of metals are being inhaled along with liquid nicotine. To compound the health risks certain brands have been found to have formaldehyde, diacetyl and other ingredients used in antifreeze. Never mind the very real risk of the vape device overheating, catching fire or exploding causing potentially serious injury. I just don't see a compelling reason to want to try it.

I see it as a fad that kids picked up to be part of the cool kid crowd. As of yet there is no scientific study that has concluded that e-cigarettes are linked to helping people quit smoking. In fact just the opposite, studies have proven that liquid cigarettes are being used as a catalyst to get young people hooked on cigarette smoking. Like anything else it will have a life cycle and be phased out once the FDA slaps more regulations down on e-liquids. I see vape stores already starting to shudder, which is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by belleflop View Post
    I learned about vaping from the hilarious h3h3 parody on his youtube channel. From there I did some investigating and found some quite alarming indications that it wasn't a good idea.

The medium to which these liquid flavors are manufactured is not controlled or regulated by the FDA. An unknown amount of metals are being inhaled along with liquid nicotine. To compound the health risks certain brands have been found to have formaldehyde, diacetyl and other ingredients used in antifreeze. Never mind the very real risk of the vape device overheating, catching fire or exploding causing potentially serious injury. I just don't see a compelling reason to want to try it.

I see it as a fad that kids picked up to be part of the cool kid crowd. As of yet there is no scientific study that has concluded that e-cigarettes are linked to helping people quit smoking. In fact just the opposite, studies have proven that liquid cigarettes are being used as a catalyst to get young people hooked on cigarette smoking. Like anything else it will have a life cycle and be phased out once the FDA slaps more regulations down on e-liquids. I see vape stores already starting to shudder, which is to be expected.
    1.) This is why you don't be e-juice from china

2.) This is why you don't buy mods and batteries from china

3.) This is why you don't buy premade coils or coil supplies from china

4.) There is however a real risk from people running these huge wattage mods not knowing what they are doing. No argument there.

On topic:
    About the clouds...all the people I've met who vape and who want to go for clouds do it because they like to do tricks. I'll have to say some of those tricks are pretty cool. One guy I knew could make a 3 ft. tornado on my pool table.
    As long as you don't blow smoke in my face or feel the need to tell me about your newest 750$ mod constant then I don't really mind people who vape.

Off topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Stick to the vaping disucssion, don't start cross discussing the well done meat issue in here as well.
    Good god I read that thread last week. Is it still a conversation? 0.0

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    I just wanted to respond to this part. from the discussions ive seen, any attraction to minors could be met with juices which have 0 nicotine, thus never allowing for that aspect of the addiction. and sure vaping isn't without risk bu the only alternative to those said kids would be actual cigarettes which have worse things then nicotine.

also pretty much every business ive been in and the one I work for you have to follow smoking policy when it comes to vaping. so that means outside in the smoking area.
    I have met some young people who take their nicotine mg "with pride." Its still a gateway in the sense that it makes nicotine addiction easier for them to get into. A lot of juices and flavors only come in the nicotine variety as well. I'm unsure if thats a marketing strategy on the companies' part, or if nicotine is part of the flavor (as you can taste it) or what. However if your vaping friends want to try your new flavor, they have to exposed to the nicotine. And if the flavor is only 2mg, its very very easy in the moment to assume its such a small amount that you'd rather just try the flavor.

Speaking of friends who talk about vaping too much, why do I know all of this. I don't vape
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

So I'm gonna ignore the edgelord hipster vape haters and get straight to the OP, to save my faith in humanity dropping further.

First, you need to question why you vape. For me, it was to get off of smoking after 7 years of it has shot my lungs to shit and breathing at night became more effort than it should have been. Now that I've moved on to vaping I can actually breathe now. So for me, vaping is simply for a nicotine fix when under stress, and because I like a good hit of blueberry every once in a while. Beats tobacco taste, anyway. So any tank and any battery pack is fine with me as long a it can give me a long hit--which mine does.

Second, you need to figure out your budget. I don't even know what the pack or tank of my vape is, but it only cost me £30 for the whole thing, and it's lasted me for half a year so far with no sign of it dying on me.

Lastly, make your decision. If you want something that's gonna give you a huge hit and mass amount of vapor, you won't have a choice but to spend a good deal of money on it. A friend of mine has the exact same setup as your friend does, and he spent around £80-£100 on it. Shop around and see if you can find anywhere that may have sales on or have clearance sections. That's your best bet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I tried vaping for a while, but it just wasn't doing it for me since they didn't really replace cigarettes and I ended up smoking in addition to vaping, which pretty much made the latter entirely pointless. I eventually just decided to quit cold turkey and as far as I'm concerned, that's really the only way it'll ever really happen.
    I had a hard time at first. I finally said, "Fuck it", one morning, took my last pack of cigarettes and broke them all. You can't smoke what you don't have. You have to force yourself to accept that you're still getting the nicotine, then it becomes easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I quit smoking years before I started vaping, problem is no matter how you quit the desire to smoke is always there.
    This is true for me so far, I bought a small vape pen a few years ago to try and quit smoking, and I just didn't enjoy it, so I just kept smoking, until April 2016, when I just decided that was enough and quit, using patches for 2 weeks then just off everything, I was going to go down the vape route again, but personally felt I didn't want to quit one thing to only become dependent on another, I wanted to be free completely. So did just that, However the feeling of wanting a cigarette, is there in the back of my head all the time, some days are stronger than others, some days I don't think about it at all, and of course the longer I have been off them, then the lesser and easier it gets.

I personally didn't find vaping to be useful or something I wanted to do in order to quit smoking , but I do know it has helped people, friends and family, to get off cigarettes and so therefore its a good thing in my opinion.

However I do take a step back when I find out, people that have never smoked in their lives, have suddenly taken up vaping, it boggles my brain, that while yes, vaping is *healthier* than a cigarette, it still has its negatives, so why would someone thats never smoked, want to take up a habit that can still be addictive in a sense. As an ex smoker, I guess that just shocks me, as I wish I had never started smoking in the first place
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2017-01-08 at 06:36 PM.

Vaping is for people that dont have the strength or actual will power to quit smoking or not jump on bandwagons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    This is true for me so far, I bought a small vape pen a few years ago to try and quit smoking, and I just didn't enjoy it, so I just kept smoking, until April 2016, when I just decided that was enough and quit, using patches for 2 weeks then just off everything, I was going to go down the vape route again, but personally felt I didn't want to quit one thing to only become dependent on another, I wanted to be free completely. So did just that, However the feeling of wanting a cigarette, is there in the back of my head all the time, some days are stronger than others, some days I don't think about it at all, and of course the longer I have been off them, then the lesser and easier it gets.

I personally didn't find vaping to be useful or something I wanted to do in order to quit smoking , but I do know it has helped people, friends and family, to get off cigarettes and so therefore its a good thing in my opinion.

However I do take a step back when I find out, people that have never smoked in their lives, have suddenly taken up vaping, it boggles my brain, that while yes, vaping is *healthier* than a cigarette, it still has its negatives, so why would someone thats never smoked, want to take up a habit that can still be addictive in a sense. As an ex smoker, I guess that just shocks me, as I wish I had never started smoking in the first place
    Some people vape for the flavors, others to simulate something they loved doing - some because its the scene they're in. You can quit smoking with vape, but you can't do it with a 25 dollar pen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ewokgangbang View Post
    Vaping is for people that dont have the strength or actual will power to quit smoking or not jump on bandwagons.
    false, but you have all the answers Mr Internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    E-liquids are facing mounting and growing FDA regulations. Some new ones are coming into effect very soon.

Hell I live in GA and bottles I buy local are already popping up with that god awful CA warning label "everything in the world is known to cause cancer".

Most local people don't even sell their own cocktails anymore, all they do is import in pre-made stuff from big money companies that can actually appease the new FDA regulations. (aka $$$)
    Yeah its sad really, because to have it lab tested is just killing the little guys.

- - - Updated - - -

1.) This is why you don't be e-juice from china

2.) This is why you don't buy mods and batteries from china

3.) This is why you don't buy premade coils or coil supplies from china

4.) There is however a real risk from people running these huge wattage mods not knowing what they are doing. No argument there.
    Rule of thumb guys, don't put shit in your mouth if its from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Yeah its sad really, because to have it lab tested is just killing the little guys.
    Bah! You don't realise that its cheap because fucking governments can't tax e-juices, because e-juice is not a "tobacco"? Don't worry, as soon as sneaky fucking lawyers find their way to avoid existing laws or just tobacco companies will finally push their government lobbies and you'll have e-juice taxed, vaping will instantly stop being cheaper than analog death sticks.

As far as internet statistics know, the number of smokers goes down with every year, while the number of vapers rises with every year. Tobacco dealers lose serious money, and the amounts of money they lose grows with every year. Governments lose serious amounts of money as well, because less tobacco sold = less taxes payed. This is war, and like all modern wars it is information war. If e-juices really had any serious downsides at least comparable to analog cigarettes levels of harm, you'd already had all the scientific info, since lots of independent scientific teams studied e-smoking in all forms (guess who funded studies?) and found literally nothing.

Also, just so you know, while your typical, wikipedical composition of e-juice is nicotine, propylene glycole, glycerine and aromatisers, only glycerine is a must have component to make e-smoking possible - and it makes small puffs with no aroma of any kind.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Which "studies" exactly?

Hopefully not the one where they tested a bunch of atomizers at absolutely ridiculous voltages and running them dry as shit for inordinate periods of time that no sensible user would ever do?

Presumably that is the case, since you bring up formaldehyde, of which the amounts produced (even in that bullshit test) were still lower than trace amounts found in the goddamn atmosphere and merely a fraction of what is found in tobacco smoke. As for diacetyl, no, not a chance unless you're buying some bargain basement chinese garbage and even then it's entirely dependent upon what flavourings are added. Diacetyl isn't produced from the carriers or nicotine, it is from flavours that include "buttery" flavouring. I personally mix my own as it is absurdly cheaper, using nothing but USP grade vegetable glycerin, liquid nicotine and food grade flavouring.

For those curious, one can produce a full liter of juice for about $70 (CAD) this way, which is about 33-35 bottles, or a little over $2 a bottle. If anything, that alone makes it much more favourable to cigarettes without even addressing the health considerations. Even chain vaping (and I do hate the term, but whatever) a 30mL bottle could last 4 to 5 days. I'm not a scientist but 50 cents a day versus a pack of smokes a day, it doesn't take a math genius to figure that out.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    I quit 20 cigarettes a day for vaping. Saving me 90% of what I spent on cigarettes. I have more stamina when running despite being in worse shape. Also my clothes and appartment doesn't smell.
    It's nice that you can't smell it in your apartment anymore, but once they start smelling like smoke a non-smoker will always be able to smell it. You can shampoo the carpet with a vacuum fed by the power of a thousand suns, rip out the sheetrock and replace it, sacrifice 10 virgins to the dark gods of scent... and it will still be noticeable. May god have mercy on the sanity of whomever inherits your apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by xact4 View Post
    It's nice that you can't smell it in your apartment anymore, but once they start smelling like smoke a non-smoker will always be able to smell it. You can shampoo the carpet with a vacuum fed by the power of a thousand suns, rip out the sheetrock and replace it, sacrifice 10 virgins to the dark gods of scent... and it will still be noticeable. May god have mercy on the sanity of whomever inherits your apartment.
    I never smoked in my house when I did smoke, but what the OP needs is called an ozone generator to really get all of the smell out.

Washing the walls and carpet is a good start, but the ozone generator is what finishes the job.

You run that inside the house for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokgangbang View Post
    Or for those who kinda like smoking anyway, but would rather do so in a way that doesn't make your clothes stink like a fuckin ashtray or having to go outside when it's -30C to do so, or want a better alternative in general that isn't filling their bodies with thousands of chemicals and carcinogens that don't exist in atomized ecig liquid.

But hey, don't let that stop ya from your myopic judgments

Deleted
    At first I thought we were talking about weed here, lol. But I guess with the e-cigarettes this is also called vaping nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Which "studies" exactly?

Hopefully not the one where they tested a bunch of atomizers at absolutely ridiculous voltages and running them dry as shit for inordinate periods of time that no sensible user would ever do?

Presumably that is the case, since you bring up formaldehyde, of which the amounts produced (even in that bullshit test) were still lower than trace amounts found in the goddamn atmosphere and merely a fraction of what is found in tobacco smoke. As for diacetyl, no, not a chance unless you're buying some bargain basement chinese garbage and even then it's entirely dependent upon what flavourings are added. Diacetyl isn't produced from the carriers or nicotine, it is from flavours that include "buttery" flavouring. I personally mix my own as it is absurdly cheaper, using nothing but USP grade vegetable glycerin, liquid nicotine and food grade flavouring.

For those curious, one can produce a full liter of juice for about $70 (CAD) this way, which is about 33-35 bottles, or a little over $2 a bottle. If anything, that alone makes it much more favourable to cigarettes without even addressing the health considerations. Even chain vaping (and I do hate the term, but whatever) a 30mL bottle could last 4 to 5 days. I'm not a scientist but 50 cents a day versus a pack of smokes a day, it doesn't take a math genius to figure that out.

https://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2016/we...sion11790.html
    http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/12/5/5215
    http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smo...h.html#sources

I think the argument that CH2O (Formaldehyde) is found in the atmosphere is a false equivalency. Mainly because of the ingestion method. Concentrating a trace amount of any compound with said delivery method increases exposure risks.

https://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2016/we...sion11790.html
    http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/12/5/5215
    http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smo...h.html#sources

I think the argument that CH2O (Formaldehyde) is found in the atmosphere is a false equivalency. Mainly because of the ingestion method. Concentrating a trace amount of any compound with said delivery method increases exposure risks.
    The first is just a symposium...there is no data.

The second says right in the synopsis "Based on currently available data, overall exposure to metals from EC use is not expected to be of significant health concern for smokers switching to EC use, but is an unnecessary source of exposure for never-smoker." Ergo, better than cigarettes, but don't start if you aren't a smoker. Shocking information there I tell you what.

Even better for the second link is this part:

Results: The average daily exposure from 13 EC products was 2.6 to 387 times lower than the safety cut-off point of PDEs, 325 times lower than the safety limit of MRL and 665 to 77,514 times lower than the safety cut-off point of RELs. Only one of the 13 products was found to result in exposure 10% higher than PDE for one metal (cadmium) at the extreme daily use of 1200 puffs.
    The third doesn't make any conclusions at all other than "kids shouldn't use it." "Don't use them if you're pregnant." "Don't use them around pregnant people." More amazing revelations!

And it's hardly a "false equivalency," you inhale the atmosphere don't you? Yes (duh), in larger and more frequent quantities than any ecig vapour. If the ppm is lower or equal, then it makes absolutely zero difference.

I never smoked in my house when I did smoke, but what the OP needs is called an ozone generator to really get all of the smell out.

Washing the walls and carpet is a good start, but the ozone generator is what finishes the job.

You run that inside the house for a period of time.
    We smoked inside sparingly, kept to one room, (of course it still spreads to all areas of the house, but our living room was the centre of it) and when we quit in April, I scrubbed our home from top to bottom with sugar soap, and vinegar, all the woodwork, flooring, radiators, furniture, basically anything that could be washed got washed, and all soft furnishings, we bought a new bed, but our sofa was relatively new, so that was steam cleaned and febreezed constantly for months.

My mum is a non smoker, never smoked in her life, and she's always going on about how she can't smell smoke in our home anymore, how much more pleasant to visit now, So it is possible I guess. I say this because I had looked into air cleaners before, but read that it can have adverse effects on people, so I stayed clear of ozone generators.

Yes the smoke does permeate the woodwork, but if you keep on top of keeping it scrubbed down, then eventually you won't have a smell coming from it, well enough that you can't notice it anyway. also a lick of paint after keeping it scrubbed for a while helps.

I am so sensitive to the smell of smoke since quitting, I smell it everywhere I go, outside shops etc, where peeps are smoking, heck if my neighbours out in his garden smoking and we have our window open, it kills me, makes me feel ill (which is a good thing i guess haha). If my house smelled like that constantly since quitting I would deffo have to move lol.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Bah! You don't realise that its cheap because fucking governments can't tax e-juices, because e-juice is not a "tobacco"? Don't worry, as soon as sneaky fucking lawyers find their way to avoid existing laws or just tobacco companies will finally push their government lobbies and you'll have e-juice taxed, vaping will instantly stop being cheaper than analog death sticks.

As far as internet statistics know, the number of smokers goes down with every year, while the number of vapers rises with every year. Tobacco dealers lose serious money, and the amounts of money they lose grows with every year. Governments lose serious amounts of money as well, because less tobacco sold = less taxes payed. This is war, and like all modern wars it is information war. If e-juices really had any serious downsides at least comparable to analog cigarettes levels of harm, you'd already had all the scientific info, since lots of independent scientific teams studied e-smoking in all forms (guess who funded studies?) and found literally nothing.

Also, just so you know, while your typical, wikipedical composition of e-juice is nicotine, propylene glycole, glycerine and aromatisers, only glycerine is a must have component to make e-smoking possible - and it makes small puffs with no aroma of any kind.
    Big tobacco and douchey lawers are trying pretty hard to make sure they corner this market too... I don't think it will ever be as expensive as analog though, as price goes up the more starter kits you will see for noobs and most intermediates already mix their own. Right now its just easier to buy it.