Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    You did this to yourself. I'm not gonna empathize with a heroin addict, why should I with a food addict? Make an effort, stick to it, and stop making excuses for yourself. Everyone suffers setbacks, but excuses are exactly that: excuses. No one needs to walk in your shoes because no one picked them but you.
    You're obviously a fairly ignorant person so I won't bother throwing a lot of statistics at you, but I didn't pick to be born with Tourette's and OCD predisposing me (you have NO idea how much...) to addiction. I didn't choose to get prescribed medication when I was 9 years old that cause my appetite to increase ten-fold at a point in my life I was too young to understand. I didn't choose to have two parents working full-time and bring take-away home almost every night of the week.

As an adult I didn't choose to get injured BADLY, doing fairly innocuous non-risky things, MULTIPLE times.

A life lesson for you:. Empathy is not about giving people an unlimited free pass in life, but it is a fairly basic, human baseline thing to think, and not necessarily in words, "I wouldn't want to go through the bad stuff the people around me are going through. Maybe I'll be a little bit less of a self-righteous cunt to the people around me today and make their lives a little bit easier. It won't cost me anything."

But to be fair, maybe you're just not wired that way. You either give a shit about other human beings or you're one bad day away from being Ted Bundy ;-)
    Last edited by Klingers; 2017-01-09 at 01:10 AM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Yes, and it's because alot of jobs don't require body power, only brain power. People want to have fun when not at work, so those that don't find "working out" fun and have a job that doesn't require body work are going to wind up fat unless they use their spare time to not have fun.

My husband is one of those people. He is Air Force, but works in cyber security. His job is PURE brain power. When he gets home, he spend his time doing what he enjoys, playing video games. He is now, 10 years later, fatter then he was when he joined the Air Force. He is not TOO fat for the AF, but he is def fat.
    Taking care of yourself isn't always fun.. I would love to eat candies, ice cream, cakes, chocolate and shit everyday but that would destroy my teeth and health so I don't. I instead eat boring normal healthy food.

Brushing your teeth everyday is also a chore, but you do it anyway because you don't want your teeth to fucking rot away. Maintaining your weight is the same.. You don't need to visit any gym, just don't eat too much and go for a walk or do some exercises at home.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There are three people that I know of where I work that definitely have such conditions.
    I bet nothing which couldn't be solved with proper diet and meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There are three people that I know of where I work that definitely have such conditions.
    Do they? Or are they those same types of people I work with that claim a thyroid condition, yet eat out three times a week and drink nothing but Coke while claiming their ankle and/or back hurts and they can't exercise?

hypoglycemia is a common enough problem.

And some meds make a person gain weight.

*shrugs*
    Of the three only one goes on flights, and he usually does "business class."

- - - Updated - - -

Do they? Or are they those same types of people I work with that claim a thyroid condition, yet eat out three times a week and drink nothing but Coke while claiming their ankle and/or back hurts and they can't exercise?
    More like water...all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    You're obviously a fairly ignorant person so I won't bother throwing a lot of statistics at you, but I didn't pick to be born with Tourette's and OCD predisposing me (you have NO idea how much...) to addiction. I didn't choose to get prescribed medication when I was 9 years old that cause my appetite to increase ten-fold at a point in my life I was too young to understand. I didn't choose to have two parents working full-time and bring take-away home almost every night of the week.

As an adult I didn't choose to get injured BADLY, doing fairly innocuous non-risky things, MULTIPLE times.

A life lesson for you:. Empathy is not about giving people an unlimited free pass in life, but it is a fairly basic, human baseline thing to think "I wouldn't want to go through the bad stuff the people around me are going through. Maybe I'll be a little bit less of a self-righteous cunt to the people around me today and make their lives a little bit easier. It won't cost me anything."

But to be fair, maybe you're just not wired that way. You either give a shit about other human beings or you're one bad day away from being Ted Bundy ;-)
    Speaking as someone with OCD and depression, as well as a long line of drug and alcohol addicts in my family, I absolutely do understand. I give a shit about people, but I don't indulge them in their self-destructive behaviors. No one has a choice in how they're born, but they do have a choice in what they become and how they deal with adversity. You either sink below it or rise above. I hope you do the latter, but my way of cheering people on is different than the coddling most people expect/want.

Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Taking care of yourself isn't always fun.. I would love to eat candies, ice cream, cakes, chocolate and shit everyday but that would destroy my teeth and health so I don't. I instead eat boring normal healthy food.

Brushing your teeth everyday is also a chore, but you do it anyway because you don't want your teeth to fucking rot away. Maintaining your weight is the same.. You don't need to visit any gym, just don't eat too much and go for a walk or do some exercises at home.
    No point in living if you are not going to have fun when not at work.

If you want to live that way, go ahead. Us? A short life of fun after work > a long life of no fun after work

OR, we, as a society, can ensure our work REQUIRES us to do PT on work hours like the AF does (if society wants everyone to remain unfat) instead of expecting people to live unfun lives outside of work hours.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-09 at 01:21 AM.

No, because you can put a bag on it or stretch out your gangly legs or something. Just because you don't use all of it, doesn't mean you don't pay for all of it. But fat people can't suddenly not take up two rows of seats. They use more than the one seat they paid for, so they should pay for having to use that extra three or four seats.
    They won't let me put my legs in the aisle or keep luggage on my seat.

And I can't suddenly gain weight to take up the entire seat. Gaining healthy weight is actually more difficult than losing it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as someone with OCD and depression, as well as a long line of drug and alcohol addicts in my family, I absolutely do understand. I give a shit about people, but I don't indulge them in their self-destructive behaviors. No one has a choice in how they're born, but they do have a choice in what they become and how they deal with adversity. You either sink below it or rise above. I hope you do the latter, but my way of cheering people on is different than the coddling most people expect/want.
    I'm sorry you've been through that yourself but I'm going to give you some free advice here: Your version of "cheering people on" is actually less than helpful, it's toxic. That old addage of "if you have nothing nice to say" is quite apt when dealing with others' adversity.

And as someone with OCD and depression, I'm sure you've had your bad days. The brain is a complex organ. When you're down or in a bad place sometimes it doesn't matter how much you rationalise with yourself how bad something is. If your neurochemistry is fucked by any combination of burned-out reward circutry, chronic sleep deprivation, depression, drugs (legal or otherwise) or any one of a dozen other factors then it can, in a very real sense, work completely counter to your long-term best interests. If you have never actually experienced that state of mind then I understand why you think the way you do, and if you have then you shouldn't be making those kind of arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm sorry you've been through that yourself but I'm going to give you some free advice here: Your version of "cheering people on" is actually less than helpful, it's toxic. That old addage of "if you have nothing nice to say" is quite apt when dealing with others' adversity.

And as someone with OCD and depression, I'm sure you've had your bad days. The brain is a complex organ. When you're down or in a bad place sometimes it doesn't matter how much you rationalise with yourself how bad something is. If your neurochemistry is fucked by any combination of burned-out reward circutry, chronic sleep deprivation, depression, drugs (legal or otherwise) or any one of a dozen other factors then it can, in a very real sense, work completely counter to your long-term best interests. If you have never actually experienced that state of mind then I understand why you think the way you do, and if you have then you shouldn't be making those kind of arguments.
    The only way I pulled myself out of those bad years (believe me, I wish they'd only been days) was to be this way to myself. I used to think too far into the future, or try to rationalize every piece of my behavior because I felt entitled to feel that way. But the more leeway I gave myself, the worse I got. I was never going to get better, despite seeing psychiatrists and taking a plethora of medication. It works for some, but it never worked for me. I never got better, and I was in a constant downward spiral until I decided it was me that needed to change. Not just my actions or reactions, but the core part of me. I had to stop justifying everything I did, I had to stop being a victim, and I had to stop being my biggest fan. It took a long time, actually about a full year of constantly rewiring my brain to not be how it's been my entire life, but it gave me a lot of insight into myself and my motivations. Most of the excuses I gave to people weren't for them--they were for me. The moment I stopped excusing myself and made an effort to get better, I actually did. It wasn't overnight, and it's still not something that's "fixed" or probably ever will be, but I'm a million times better than I used to be or thought I could be, and even that is probably an understatement.

If you take offense to what I say, that's fine. But I've learned you can only take offense, you can't give it. If you can become comfortable with yourself and strive to make a change, someone else can't hurt you. If you own your faults, they can't be used against you. When you know you, you can be you.

The only way I pulled myself out of those bad years (believe me, I wish they'd only been days) was to be this way to myself. I used to think too far into the future, or try to rationalize every piece of my behavior because I felt entitled to feel that way. But the more leeway I gave myself, the worse I got. I was never going to get better, despite seeing psychiatrists and taking a plethora of medication. It works for some, but it never worked for me. I never got better, and I was in a constant downward spiral until I decided it was me that needed to change. Not just my actions or reactions, but the core part of me. I had to stop justifying everything I did, I had to stop being a victim, and I had to stop being my biggest fan. It took a long time, actually about a full year of constantly rewiring my brain to not be how it's been my entire life, but it gave me a lot of insight into myself and my motivations. Most of the excuses I gave to people weren't for them--they were for me. The moment I stopped excusing myself and made an effort to get better, I actually did. It wasn't overnight, and it's still not something that's "fixed" or probably ever will be, but I'm a million times better than I used to be or thought I could be, and even that is probably an understatement.

If you take offense to what I say, that's fine. But I've learned you can only take offense, you can't give it. If you can become comfortable with yourself and strive to make a change, someone else can't hurt you. If you own your faults, they can't be used against you. When you know you, you can be you.
    While I am so happy that you were/are able to get better, not everyone is able, and not having empathy for those that lack the ability to get better is something I hope our society will never devolve to - the thought of the ways we would be willing to treat those humans if we lacked empathy for them is horrifying - I mean, I think Hitler only explored the tip of some of those ways in the treatment of those he deemed unable to get better.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-09 at 01:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

It's good to hear you're in a better place now. Well done getting where you have.

In a way you're right about taking and giving offence, but I my advice would be to not forget that you can have a bit of contextual and situational awareness before aggressively shooting people down and it doesn't cost you much. Even on the internet. Those are my last words on the subject. Peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Airlines in general are terrible, its a means to an end, not something people actually enjoy unless your on an emirates business class flight.

Obesity however is something that should be tackled, not worked around, if she wants to spend time creating an open dialogue than use that time to tackle your illness, and enrich your life once again.

This isn't business and is comfortable enough.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I don't mind sitting next to fat people. What I can't stand is sitting next to loud kids or crying babies/toddlers, or sitting behind someone that reclines their seat clear the fuck back.
    I cant stand sitting next to people who don't understand the concept of soap and deodorant

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Some people share how they've been physically hurt by fellow passengers. “I had a guy once slam the arm down in between us, which is really painful,” says one woman. “Somebody slamming something into the side of your body hurts!” She wasn't alone in her experience, either. Another person says, “He kept pushing the arm down which was like pushing into my belly and my thigh."

I wouldn't like it either if someone was sexually assaulting me with their fat rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Because weight is subjective? Do you honestly feel like a 240 pound man who is 6'4 should have to pay for 2 seats while a 220lb 5'0 female can get away with 1 seat?
    Planes aren't designed to accommodate fat people, thats why a plane in long and narrow. Maybe if they put the seats in a different configuration like facing the side of the plane instead of forward it could work, until then pay for 2 seats or don't fly.

lol becomes the size of 2 people, blames airlines for making small seats and blames the society is broken. Excuses excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a fairly large guy, and I was recently on an economy class flight. I fit into the seats (including being able to buckle my seatbelt) just fine, and the only inconvenience I had was that my shoulder kept getting bumped by people walking by me (I was in an aisle seat.) Minor inconvenience.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you're bigger than me, I guess it would suck for you, but since we're talking about a very tiny fraction of the population, I don't know what else to suggest aside from buying two seats.

For reference, I am 295lbs, and 5'9". I've got really big arms (it's not all fat, y'know), which is why my shoulders kept getting bumped, but I do have a Homer Simpson belly too.

@Atrea there is no problam with big people. Tall and big. That is not fat. Disturbed? Nah, if anything I would be impressed and challenge you to some arm wrestling or something for fun. Really watching that video disgusted me also on side bar there were other disgusting bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I'm a fairly large guy, and I was recently on an economy class flight. I fit into the seats (including being able to buckle my seatbelt) just fine, and the only inconvenience I had was that my shoulder kept getting bumped by people walking by me (I was in an aisle seat.) Minor inconvenience.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you're bigger than me, I guess it would suck for you, but since we're talking about a very tiny fraction of the population, I don't know what else to suggest aside from buying two seats.

For reference, I am 295lbs, and 5'9". I've got really big arms (it's not all fat, y'know), which is why my shoulders kept getting bumped, but I do have a Homer Simpson belly too.
    I'm 6'4, aisle seats are a little better than mid-row seats. God I hate those.