Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I'd love a new Advance Wars game. That could potentially sway me to get a Switch.
    Eh? I'd rather see another Battalion Wars game for a 3D system, Advance Wars was sorely lacking on the 3DS and portables are where it belonged.

http://mw.nikkei.com/sp/#!/article/D...7A100C1ENK000/

Nikki is estimating the Switch at ¥25000 or $250.

10+ Year Old Account
    A £200 tablet and people still think this is going to be ps4 level of capability...it's a great price point mind.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...statedistrict/

Reddit rumor: Gamestop is requiring all employees to come into work tomorrow morning for a Switch information meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...statedistrict/

Reddit rumor: Gamestop is requiring all employees to come into work tomorrow morning for a Switch information meeting.
    I mean, that's not really a rumor. I guess the date it's taking place on might be but every district will have their employees in to explain the hardware to them, launch games and what not to tell them how to sell the product. That's the shitty part of working at gamestop, it's your job to try and entice people into buying something not just to ring up their shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I mean, that's not really a rumor. I guess the date it's taking place on might be but every district will have their employees in to explain the hardware to them, launch games and what not to tell them how to sell the product. That's the shitty part of working at gamestop, it's your job to try and entice people into buying something not just to ring up their shit.
    That's just retail in general. I work at a grocery store, so I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    That's just retail in general. I work at a grocery store, so I should know.
    It's not though. The random employees you get in the Walmart or Target electronics sections aren't trained to sell video games to you. Just to get what you want out of the case and ring it up.

Was a district manager for gamestop many moons ago, it's more like working at a pawnshop or selling used cars then working in most other retail locations. Minimum wage employees having to meet quotas and shit is pretty laughable when you think about it. Gamestop is going to expect to have their first few months of Switch shipments sold out in preorders and they'll fire/take hours away from employees with low preorder numbers if those goals aren't met.

The only places that really compare don't sell video games, mostly shoes or clothes stores in malls and what not.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-09 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you say so.
    Show me the grocery store or department store that makes their minimum wage employees actually be salesmen and have quotas to meet... I'll be waiting. Until then keep adding productive shit to the discusion, and you guys can keep posting anything reddit does on the switch no matter how captain obvious it is and getting butt hurt when that is pointed out to you.

Show me the grocery store or department store that makes their minimum wage employees actually be salesmen and have quotas to meet... I'll be waiting. Until then keep adding productive shit to the discusion, and you guys can keep posting anything reddit does on the switch no matter how captain obvious it is and getting butt hurt when that is pointed out to you.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't think I've EVER been approached by anybody at a grocery store to buy something. In fact, I do most of my grocery store shopping at Meijers, so they sell a LOT more than groceries and nobody bothers to sell me anything.

The ONLY place I've had this happen to is maybe Fry's... not many retail stores do comission-based selling anymore, and with good reason.

At the very least, most retail does push employees to get people to sign up for any cards and promotions.

Home Depot wants employees to get customers to have stuff installed through Home Depot for example. It's very much along the same lines. Not as much as Gamestop though from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't think I've EVER been approached by anybody at a grocery store to buy something. In fact, I do most of my grocery store shopping at Meijers, so they sell a LOT more than groceries and nobody bothers to sell me anything.

The ONLY place I've had this happen to is maybe Fry's... not many retail stores do comission-based selling anymore, and with good reason.
    Yea frys and best buy will have employees just there to try and talk to you and gauge what you're looking for/make suggestions which are the closest comparisons I could think of in any stores that sell video games.

Half of the walmarts/targets/meijer you go to probably has some chick working the electronics section that knows jack shit about video games let alone how to sell you on buying something. That's if they have anyone there at all, can't count how many times I had to go to the service desk just to make some angry employee have to come unlock the box for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I've been in both Walmart and Target and had very good conversations about upcoming games and hardware with employees working the area.
    Let me guess with some random 20 some year old college kids who actually play games, not because the stores educated them on it. Go find a random 45 year old mom working the electronics at walmart and see if she knows what Persona 5 or an Xbox Elite Controller is. Signs point to no, where as a gamestop employee regardless of their hobbies would be educated on buzzwords to say for both.

Best Buy employees receive similar product training to what you get at GS. I know because I used to work there.
    Yes best buy employees are trained to be helpful and show you stuff to buy, they don't have quotas though. They're usually not even the person who rings you up, they just greet you when you come in and gauge if you need assistance finding something. Not exactly the same as Gamestop, where you're trained to try to get someone to buy more then what they just came in the door for. Best Buy you get canned for failing a secret shopper test bad, gamestop you get canned for not having X amount of preorders on your register and X amount of power up rewards memberships sold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our local game staff are shit. One girl told a customer that the ps4 'slim' was the old one, I had to inform the customer that wasn't the case otherwise they would have left the store. Maybe I should have let them. Slowest customer service ever too.

Also when discussing switch/gamestop... Yes if you want the damn thing at launch in the US preorder it in store at gamestop. Unless you want to wait in line for opening at a department store.

Online preorders might not even be a thing knowing Nintendo(and also because Amazon US and Nintendo are not exactly friends when it comes to hardware). Nintendo is only shipping 2 million in 2 months WW.

Nintendo is going to create a damn artificial shortage with this thing, it's almost guaranteed with those numbers. PS4 sold 5 mil in 2 months and was virtually sold out everywhere for that time span. That was without a Japanese launch. This thing is gonna be like 5 per store NES mini bullshit all over again.

For whatever reason Nintendo is riding a lot of hype right now, literally had Wii Us and 3DS sold out for the majority of December and we already know about the NES mini. Nintendo has been in the black ever since their return to conservative shipments. The 3DS and Wii U launches where both over shipped failures.

So yea, if you want a Switch in the US on launch day be at your local gamestop to preorder it at opening on the day preorders open.(Heard both 13th and 16th passed around).

Or be smart and don't touch the thing until Nintendo starts supporting it properly outside of doing Wii U port jobs on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    A £200 tablet and people still think this is going to be ps4 level of capability...it's a great price point mind.
    The thing doesn't compete with the 4k versions of PS4 and XBone so a 200 pricepoint could be possible.

Biggest reason why the Wii sold as much as it did was because it was cheaper then the PS3 and 360 at launch, price plays a huge factor and you saw that with the Xbone sales numbers vs PS4 after Microsoft dropt the Kinect and lowered the price to be more in line with the Ps4.
    Last edited by ati87; 2017-01-09 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    The thing doesn't compete with the 4k versions of PS4 and XBone so a 200 pricepoint could be possible.

Biggest reason why the Wii sold as much as it did was because it was cheaper then the PS3 and 360 at launch, price plays a huge factor and you saw that with the Xbone sales numbers when they dropt the Kinect and lowered the price.
    The Wii was overpriced as fuck at launch. It was $250 for an overclocked gamecube hardware wise. The same gamecube that was $99 meanwhile there was a $250 360 SKU on the market at the same time that shit on it. Only the PS3 was more expensive, the 360 launched at $299 and was already on the market for a year when the Wii came out and had great deals that holiday.

Let's not create some fantasy world where the Wii was reasonably priced, it was over priced as hell and Nintendo made a large profit off every Wii that was sold. The Wii sold well because it caught a very flash in the pan market of gamers that don't even have any interest in console gaming before or after it. It wasn't because it was "cheap".
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-09 at 10:10 AM.

The Wii was overpriced as fuck at launch. It was $250 for an overclocked gamecube hardware wise. The same gamecube that was $99 meanwhile there was a $250 360 SKU on the market at the same time that shit on it. Only the PS3 was more expensive, the 360 launched at $299 and was already on the market for a year when the Wii came out and had great deals that holiday.

Let's not create some fantasy world where the Wii was reasonably priced, it was over priced as hell and Nintendo made a large profit off every Wii that was sold. The Wii sold well because it caught a very flash in the pan market of gamers that don't even have any interest in console gaming before or after it. It wasn't because it was "cheap".
    The Wii was competing with the PS3 and XB360 and not with the Ps2 gen, so whatever your opinion is/was in regards to the capabilities of the Wii it is false to state that it was competing with the PS2 and Xbox.

And for the launch price the Xboxe 360 wasn't just 300 (whatever currency) it was closer to 400, then PS3 was even more expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_la...es_and_pricing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_3...es_and_pricing

Again for 7th gen the Wii was the cheapest priced console at launch which is a contributing factor to it's sales numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    The Wii was competing with the PS3 and XB360 and not with the Ps2 gen, so whatever your opinion is/was in regards to the capabilities of the Wii it is false to state that it was competing with the PS2 and Xbox.

And for the launch price the Xboxe 360 wasn't just 300 (whatever currency) it was closer to 400, then PS3 was even more expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_la...es_and_pricing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_3...es_and_pricing

Again for 7th gen the Wii was the cheapest priced console at launch which is a contributing factor to it's sales numbers.
    The 360 launched at $299.99. It had a $399.99 sku that came with an HD, HDAC cables, the remote and a 1 month XBL membership. The base sku was $299.99 and that was at launch, a year before the wii launch. When the Wii launched the 360 has a $250 sku on the market that came with a pack in game.

Did you even read what you linked?

The Wii was the same price as the 360 was when it launched. In 2008 the Wii actually became more expensive then the 360 as the base 360 model dropped to $199.99 and the Wii was still $250. The Wii wasn't some amazing success because it was good value just stop, it was overclocked gamecube hardware and it was competing with the 360 which was pretty top of the line hardware at the time.

Something people need to take into consideration with all the hubbub with the switch as well if it was not mentioned yet is that the Switch IS going to replace both the 3DS an Wii U within 2 years of its launch. All the signs point to the 3DS also coming to its end as the switch plows forward and the fact that Nintendo no longer have a home console R&D center becasue the handheld and console divisions were merged into one. Once the 3DS developers start moving over to the switch we will have a better idea on the timeline. I think the end all be all nail in the 3DS coffin will be nailed once the Switch Monster Hunter is announced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also when discussing switch/gamestop... Yes if you want the damn thing at launch in the US preorder it in store at gamestop. Unless you want to wait in line for opening at a department store.

Online preorders might not even be a thing knowing Nintendo(and also because Amazon US and Nintendo are not exactly friends when it comes to hardware). Nintendo is only shipping 2 million in 2 months WW.

Nintendo is going to create a damn artificial shortage with this thing, it's almost guaranteed with those numbers. PS4 sold 5 mil in 2 months and was virtually sold out everywhere for that time span. That was without a Japanese launch. This thing is gonna be like 5 per store NES mini bullshit all over again.

For whatever reason Nintendo is riding a lot of hype right now, literally had Wii Us and 3DS sold out for the majority of December and we already know about the NES mini. Nintendo has been in the black ever since their return to conservative shipments. The 3DS and Wii U launches where both over shipped failures.

So yea, if you want a Switch in the US on launch day be at your local gamestop to preorder it at opening on the day preorders open.(Heard both 13th and 16th passed around).

Or be smart and don't touch the thing until Nintendo starts supporting it properly outside of doing Wii U port jobs on the cheap.
    I used to work at GS. I've 'sworn them off' after parting ways and been absolutely fine other than having to use them for my Hyrule New 3DSXL. Best Buys gaming club and online ordering has been fantastic for me. That said I KNOW what I want and when to order. I only go in store for games that are already released and I don't care to wait 2 days for (free) shipping. God help you if you need to use the service desk though. Amazon has been a solid backup too, but their 20% is only on new release, not new condition.