Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So, anyone try 23&me DNA testing?

I sent my sample off, and uh, if the results are true I need to rethink some of the things I've said for certain nations/ethnicities....

Has anyone else tried this company's testing? Are they accurate or should I take it with a big pinch of salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Tell us your results and all the horrible and now awkward things you said.
    Nein

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Are they accurate or should I take it with a big pinch of salt?
    I have not done the testing myself but I know several who have and the results seem to be fairly legit. There does always seem to be an element of surprise...but I don't know if that's due to inaccurate test results or due to misconceptions about how pure our regional DNA is as a species.

Pleeeease tell me it's about those problematic Mexicans and Serbians. Mexicans get a pass because of all the great fast food, but the Serbians?
    I was thinking about doing this too even though I am pretty sure my DNA is just a mess. No famous people at all except two separate executions during the Salem witchcraft trials and both of them died in pretty gruesome public burnings. Looks like I am destined for public service.

I've been curious about that company myself.

As a caveat though, you need to remember that DNA is semi-random. You have 4 grandparents. Say for example that they are 100% Irish, African, German, and French respectively. It's theoretically possible to be 50% Irish and 50% French regardless of who your ancestors are.

Here's more of an explanation for that (it also mentions 23&me):
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...her-and-father

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    Pleeeease tell me it's about those problematic Mexicans and Serbians. Mexicans get a pass because of all the great fast food, but the Serbians?
    I was thinking about doing this too even though I am pretty sure my DNA is just a mess. No famous people at all except two separate executions during the Salem witchcraft trials and both of them died in pretty gruesome public burnings. Looks like I am destined for public service.
    I never had an issue with Mexicans. I love Mexicans. Same with Serbs. I'm Greek, so Serbs historically are on good terms with Greeks.

My results were basically 50+% North European with the largest chunk being French/German at 14% and about 49% South European with the largest chunk being "Balkan" at 25%.

My father's American but never really knew his ethnic background. He assumed Scots-Irish. He said he thought he had Native American descent, due to his great-grandmother looking Native and having the surname "Savage", which was apparently common for assimilated Indians. But the DNA doesn't show any Siberian/Native American ancestry.

What do these labels really mean anyway though? If the results say you're half Mexican and half Serbian, I suppose that is kind of cool to know, but both of those countries are less than 200 years old meaning that those identities are modern inventions. Naturally both of those countries have been home to a jumbled mix of ethnic groups, each of which in turn came from a homeland that itself had a mixed population, etc. I suppose it's conceivable that you're descended from a long line of Aztec emperors on one side and Illyrian warrior queens on the other, and as far as bullshit claims go that is a pretty entertaining one to make, but what more can you really say beyond that?

I sent my sample off, and uh, if the results are true I need to rethink some of the things I've said for certain nations/ethnicities....

Has anyone else tried this company's testing? Are they accurate or should I take it with a big pinch of salt?
    Racist takes DNA Test and discovers he's one of the races he hates! You won't believe what he does next!
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Racist takes DNA Test and discovers he's one of the races he hates! You won't believe what he does next!
    So, who have I been racist against exactly?

My ancestry could beat up your ancestry.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

My ancestry could beat up your ancestry.
    Pfft you are descended from an unbroken line of beta cucks.

It was mostly a joke (Like a Buzzzfeed headline)...but you did say you may have to rethink some of the things you've said about certain ethnicities...so, if you have been racist, you'd be the one to know about it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It was mostly a joke (Like a Buzzzfeed headline)...but you did say you may have to rethink some of the things you've said about certain ethnicities...so, if you have been racist, you'd be the one to know about it.
    Meh, the ethnicities in question are white too, so it's more a nation thing than a racial thing. You know how Europe can be.

Meh, the ethnicities in question are white too, so it's more a nation thing than a racial thing. You know how Europe can be.
    Well, if it's just a nation thing your DNA doesn't really factor into it much. You can continue to have the same feelings towards people of that nation that you had previously. It's more of an issue with that national culture than ethnicity.

10+ Year Old Account

Keep in mind a few things.

23andme has already been shut down a few times for shoddy product. It's not perfect. It's for fun, not education or information. Don't make decisions off it without consulting a doctor and getting a real, actual test for something.

Your medical information (not the actual private stuff, but information nonetheless) will likely be sold off to a company for use. It's not a huge deal but some people have issues with that.

What purpose are you wanted to do it? Just for ethnic research? I don't even quite understand what you said with the 'rethinking'. Really, all its going to do is make you worry about stuff for no reason.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Like 77% southeast asian, 13 east asian(chinese) and 7 south asian and the rest nonspecific east asian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What purpose are you wanted to do it? Just for ethnic research? I don't even quite understand what you said with the 'rethinking'. Really, all its going to do is make you worry about stuff for no reason.
    He probably didn't and was just a good chance to spark a controversy.

10+ Year Old Account

You're Greek, the chances of you not having a bit of every nation from Portugal in the West to India in the East are slim to none. Have you seen how widespread the reach of the Byzantine Empire was? They had people from all over Europe, Asia and Africa for centuries intermingled.

You think you've got confusing results, I am half-English and half-Greek Cypriot, I'd be more surprised if there was a nation in the world I don't have some genetic relationship with.

Haven't done DNA testing, but according to my mother I have English, Irish, German, Jew and Aboriginal in my bloodline.

I think that entitles me to be offend everybody.

I was a bit surprised, I'm whiter then sour cream but apparently I'm not.

imgur.com/su8qDcx unable to post links due to limited post count.