Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Matchmaking system makes practicing/trying new chars terrible

The system seems to match you against opponents based on your performance on your best/main chars, even if just playing quick play. So either you end up being a useless carry because you might be playing against 3k rated players and maybe you play the char you are practicing on at 2k, or you end up being 'that guy' that picks Hanzo and everyone blames for making the team lose. The only time it seems to work out is when you have one of those teams with no tanks or healers where there is no team synergy at all, in which case you just get completely destroyed by a pug team with any amount of coordination.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    id be ever so grateful if i could at least get queued with people who arent level 13 playing bastion and widowmaker on attack. im tired of having to play reinhardt to bail out these people

like one second you're playing tracer or whatever and your team is garbage completely awful doing nothing then you switch reinhardt and suddenly you get the distinct impression they don't need assistance wiping their ass

im lvl 35 getting into the game.

had it since release, recently had some time to put some effort into it.

for me if you want to learn new heroes go to Quick play and tell the haters to shut the fuck up.

if they wanted to win and rank, theyd be playing competitive.

if they dont like it they should get more freinds and make premades for quickplay.

each to their own, play how you want to play.

Haters Gonna Hate.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is a lot more to it than that... people wouldnt care what you play as long as you are contributing but most people can't even figure out there is more than one way to the objective

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    there is a lot more to it than that... people wouldnt care what you play as long as you are contributing but most people can't even figure out there is more than one way to the objective
    Had one team last night where everyone took a different route to the objective. That didn't go well.

10+ Year Old Account
    people just dont understand the strengths and weaknesses of their heroes

if you can get behind a reinhardt who has his shield up protecting in the front and hit him in the back it is devastating but no people just want to shoot at it and they dont even pick the right hero to shoot at it
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-01-03 at 10:42 AM.

Yep, I've been saying this for a while. Probably one of their biggest flaws. In a game that is supposed to foster not having a main and picking counters, the game itself doesn't do much to encourage players to step out of their comfort zone.

It's really just a shortcoming of the entire MMR concept though. What this game could really use is a MMR free mode, where getting better at the game gives you a better chance of doing well at the game, rather than just placing you against better opponents who drag you back down to average.

Deleted
    It's quite annoying really. But after yesterdays game I kinda understand why also.

I'm usually up against Masters/Grandmasters in QP (Had a rank 4400 on my team once) and it's almost impossible to play some other characters I suck at, like a Tracer or Widow. One character doing like nothing in higher ranked games makes a huge difference.

Then I joined a friend's game, who's in Silver/Gold. Ended up with 80% kill participation while playing Pharah (I think I have 150+h on her now). It was fun for once, but not so much for the other team :P Even though we lost the final point on Kings Row attacking. Guess this is also the reason why there's so many smurf accounts.

Don't think there's anything we can do about it. Just have to suck it up and deal with it. On the plus side though, practising against better players deff makes yourself a better player too.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Yep, I've been saying this for a while. Probably one of their biggest flaws. In a game that is supposed to foster not having a main and picking counters, the game itself doesn't do much to encourage players to step out of their comfort zone.

It's really just a shortcoming of the entire MMR concept though. What this game could really use is a MMR free mode, where getting better at the game gives you a better chance of doing well at the game, rather than just placing you against better opponents who drag you back down to average.
    Or they could have some sort of 'free-servers' list where players could run their own servers, even if they had to pay a monthly fee or something to run one, and players could set any mode they wanted on those servers (like with CS servers). I believe I read somewhere that pro teams somehow have their own servers, I wonder how it works in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    It's quite annoying really. But after yesterdays game I kinda understand why also.

I'm usually up against Masters/Grandmasters in QP (Had a rank 4400 on my team once) and it's almost impossible to play some other characters I suck at, like a Tracer or Widow. One character doing like nothing in higher ranked games makes a huge difference.

Then I joined a friend's game, who's in Silver/Gold. Ended up with 80% kill participation while playing Pharah (I think I have 150+h on her now). It was fun for once, but not so much for the other team :P Even though we lost the final point on Kings Row attacking. Guess this is also the reason why there's so many smurf accounts.

Don't think there's anything we can do about it. Just have to suck it up and deal with it. On the plus side though, practising against better players deff makes yourself a better player too.
    Perhaps part of the reason why there are so few options in the system is because blizzard wants to encourage smurf accounts, but even in the case of smurf accounts that don't play any competitive, if you win every game it seems that your hidden match making rating will go up really quickly. I imagine its worse at a level where people are averaging around 100 hours on their 'main' chars, then you get a buff like with symmetra recently and you have a huge number of people suddenly trying to learn a char that was very rarely played up to that point.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Perhaps part of the reason why there are so few options in the system is because blizzard wants to encourage smurf accounts, but even in the case of smurf accounts that don't play any competitive, if you win every game it seems that your hidden match making rating will go up really quickly. I imagine its worse at a level where people are averaging around 100 hours on their 'main' chars, then you get a buff like with symmetra recently and you have a huge number of people suddenly trying to learn a char that was very rarely played up to that point.
    Encourage how? Because it's hard to play a character you never play? Or do you mean something else?

And yes, in QP you get put back into your proper ranking real fast. Seen some lvl 20s already playing with us, and sometimes even below that. Gotta keep in mind the fast levelling too. So I see smurf accounts as a waste of money, and time.

Just play QP just ignore people who get mad if you don't switch, you need to practice somewhere.

QP is where people go to practice characters they don't normally play so they naturally are not going to be bringing their best. If your ideal of fun is to play QP to win all the time then you are going to have a hard time finding fun because it is you who are in the wrong place.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    QP is where people go to practice characters they don't normally play so they naturally are not going to be bringing their best. If your ideal of fun is to play QP to win all the time then you are going to have a hard time finding fun because it is you who are in the wrong place.
    How the fuck is it "practicing" if you have no intention of winning?

10+ Year Old Account
    worddddd

just because im garbage at McCree doesnt mean im not going to try to win

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are just trying to learn your aim and the maps just play a custom game vs Ana bots. 200%dmg, headshots only. (As long as your character can headshot).

Or play vs AI until you get the hang of your character, then go to quickplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    How the fuck is it "practicing" if you have no intention of winning?
    Triggered for sure.

Your reading comprehension sucks. Deadman was saying that people don't play their "mains" in QP, he never said anything about throwing the game. If you are so adamant about winning, stay the fuck out of QP.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    people just dont understand the strengths and weaknesses of their heroes

if you can get behind a reinhardt who has his shield up protecting in the front and hit him in the back it is devastating but no people just want to shoot at it and they dont even pick the right hero to shoot at it
    When it's a Pharah shooting at his shield . . . You can get up, over and behind his shield! Even if he uses his shield to block your rockets, now your team has their opening.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I really don't care if people bring their a-game or if people are doing bad in quickplay, but when people are trolling or not even trying to win it's pretty frustrating.
    Can't really practice your char so well when a torbjörn builds a turret next to spawn and repeatedly suicides off the cliff while a reinheart tries to solo-flank their team and a mercy is trying to get kills...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    When it's a Pharah shooting at his shield . . . You can get up, over and behind his shield! Even if he uses his shield to block your rockets, now your team has their opening.
    But that would put you right in the range of the enemy team that's cowering behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    But that would put you right in the range of the enemy team that's cowering behind it.
    Sure, the situation changes the viability of that tactic, but my point is, if you can get around the shield, it might be better than shooting at the shield.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Sure, the situation changes the viability of that tactic, but my point is, if you can get around the shield, it might be better than shooting at the shield.
    The shield literally lasts seconds with proper gameplay. There really isn't much of a reason for flanking it instead of shooting it.