Make My 2009 Prebuilt Desktop Not Lag In Games

So in 2009 or 2010 or something my parents got me a prebuilt Hp desktop from Best Buy. At the time, it was enough. Now, it's absolute garbage [for gaming]. I'm goddamn sick of lowering simple games to 800x600 resolution at the absolute lowest settings, only to get 9-20 FPS.

These are the desktop specs (pic is from the sticker on the side of it):

Here's like the inside of it if you open the case:

This is what I'm asking for: Tell me a way to overclock the GPU or the CPU, or tell me of some piece of hardware I can buy and plug in to the desktop so that I can raise my FPS when playing games. All I want is 25+ FPS at 1280x720. That's not much to ask, right?

And I know what you're gonna say. "Just build a new computer." I know, I will...eventually. It's a very daunting task, what with all the wires being connected and all the parts and...I'll build a new computer this year some time...but for now if you can help me raise my FPS in games, I'd appreciate it.

It looks like you need a dedicated GPU something like a GTX 1050 ti or RX460 would set you off, anything further than that and you would need a new Power Supply as well because yours is probably 300 or so watts and doesn't have the additional power connector to support those higher end cards.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2017-01-09 at 05:30 PM.

You are very limited to what you can do with it since its so old. ;/

15+ Year Old Account
    You cant make it not lag. In cpu bound games you will suffer extremely, in GPU bound games maybe get a little better with a new video card, however you will have bottlenecks from the older hardware especially at 2.8 GHz, it was decent at the time, but not to today's basic standards for gaming.

Time for a new machine, even a basic inexpensive last gen one will be better than what you currently have.

Post what games you are trying to play.

I would recommend a RX460 or GTX 1050.

That will give you a performance boost since you are using a ATI HD4200. You could also look up the max ram that MOBO supports.

So here is a simple upgrade path.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $148.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 12:49 EST-0500

I would not recommend anything else, any higher and u mite as well just save up for a new build. GPU upgrade will give you a massive boost in performance and CPU will be come ur bottleneck. There is nothing you can do about that but games will run better and you will have room to tweak settings and not run at such low res.

Also I would apply some thermal paste to the CPU because as old as it is, good chance it needs it.

Edit: Changed the video card slightly, to make sure the size should fit. You can also buy the same video card from Newegg for like $10 more.

Edit2: If u need one without a 6pin connector I can change the card to something else.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-09 at 05:57 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    It looks like you need a dedicated GPU something like a GTX 1050 ti or RX460 would set you off,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I would recommend a RX460 or GTX 1050.
    Where would you even plug that in to the mother board? I'm pretty sure the desktop has an integrated graphics card, which means...do I unplug that and add what you're suggesting, or is there an empty slot for a graphics card on the motherboard now, or........?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I could do it, but it would only look like the same computer from the outside. Just buy whichever system from the build of the month fits your budget. What you have now isn't worth upgrading.
    Sounds scary. All the wire connections are the scary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Post what games you are trying to play.
    I mostly play Paladins. I played some Telltale Games but even like Game of Thrones, the main menu would lag me horribly at 1900x1280 (or w/e the resolution is) so I had to downgrade to even play. I wanted to play Outlast but...it's so laggy and it's not fun to play a horror game in bad resolution. I also wouldn't mind buying like Tomb Raider or Watch Dogs or other 3rd person shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Where would you even plug that in to the mother board? I'm pretty sure the desktop has an integrated graphics card, which means...do I unplug that and add what you're suggesting, or is there an empty slot for a graphics card on the motherboard now, or........?
    Do you see the PCIE slot right under (above with how ur pic is angled) the CPU.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The p6654y has a 250w PSU from an unknown manufacturer with no details and supports up to DDR3-1333 so take those in to consideration. It's also an AM3 board so the best you could do as far as a processor is concerned are used Heka, Deneb or Thuban cores.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I mostly play Paladins. I played some Telltale Games but even like Game of Thrones, the main menu would lag me horribly at 1900x1280 (or w/e the resolution is) so I had to downgrade to even play. I wanted to play Outlast but...it's so laggy and it's not fun to play a horror game in bad resolution. I also wouldn't mind buying like Tomb Raider or Watch Dogs or other 3rd person shooters.
    I would not run games any higher then 1280x720 on that computer.

To be honest if it was me I would just save up and upgrade.

If u give me a budget I can put something together cheap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a budget? You could upgrade your video card and then memory to 8GB, you will get a little boost maybe even playable for around $200 and if it still isnt satisfying you, you could use the parts you bought in a new build when more money becomes available so it wouldn't be a waste.

I would get 4GB, (2-2GB sticks) of ram, populate the 2 empty slots you have and a nVidia GTX 1050Ti or AMD RX 470 and a EVGA 430W PSU, that would be around $230 and that may solve your issues or at least get you to 30-35fps maybe more. Then if you upgrade to a newer system you could still use those items providing its last gen as the newer systems utilize DDR4 memory and yours is DDR3

To be honest if it was me I would just save up and upgrade. If u give me a budget I can put something together cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Do you have a budget?
    I think upgrading this desktop I'm willing to spend like $100 to try something if it's likely to succeed. Maybe $150 for guaranteed improvement.

Otherwise I'd just spend like $800 to $1200 on a new computer. Building a new computer is the problem, not the price. All those wires needing to be attached is scary.

Insert new GPU in there

I think upgrading this desktop I'm willing to spend like $100 to try something if it's likely to succeed. Maybe $150 for guaranteed improvement.

Otherwise I'd just spend like $800 to $1200 on a new computer. Building a new computer is the problem, not the price. All those wires needing to be attached is scary.
    Well my post above is around $150 and should be a noticeable upgrade. You can also buy all the parts you want and pay a local computer shop to put it together or a friend.

I was a nervous wreck when I put mine together but it is quite simple. Watch some youtube video's on how to do it if u want.

I do personally recommend a full upgrade over upgrading this computer. If you need a GPU without a 6pin connector (the one I linked has one and is only for OCing) then ill change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The wires literally only go where they're supposed to go. You couldn't plug them wrongly even if you wanted.

If that is truly the case then you should just go out and get a new build and simply have someone to put it together if you don't want to.

Updated my list again.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $149.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 13:26 EST-0500

Replace ur ram with the two from this and this GPU does not require a 6pin connector. This is the only upgrade I would recommend and anything more I would just do a new build.

There will be a performance boost (but CPU will be ur bottleneck) and should last you until u build a new PC (within the next year or two).

This is a band-aid fix to be 100% clear.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-09 at 06:29 PM.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TILI725.jpg[IMG]

Insert new GPU in there
    Well my post above is around $150 and should be a noticeable upgrade.
    I don't think I need the RAM. I feel like GPU is bottlenecking me. I would buy the $100 GPU you suggested but I really don't think it's gonna be compatible.

The "spot" for the GPU slot doesn't even look like it has an end bracket to be able to screw the video card into...

If you need a GPU without a 6pin connector (the one I linked has one and is only for OCing) then ill change it.
    I would overclock this desktop because I really don't care that much about it breaking, but for a newer computer I wouldn't want to deal with overclocking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The wires literally only go where they're supposed to go. You couldn't plug them wrongly even if you wanted.
    What if there are missing wires? How do I know which wires connect to which? What if I don't plug in the power supply wires to everything that needs it? Or the hard drive wires? Or the USB wires? Or the CD player.

If that is truly the case then you should just go out and get a new build and simply have someone to put it together if you don't want to.
    Any recommendations? Best Buy? Micro Center? Order it online from Amazon? A physical place is preferable.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Blueobelisk
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrfekt View Post
    You are very limited to what you can do with it since its so old. ;/
    Watch for Chaud's build of the month posts. You can snag some parts for a decently running computer for under $400.

I've also seen pre-built Asus machines (in-store) at best buy for a decent price.

Perhaps a steam machine?

--snip--
    If you just want a GPU boost then get the one on post #17

The metal plat infrount of the PCIE socket can be removed and those two white cords. You can remove the tie on them to give the GPU more room. You would just unhook them put the gpu in and then hook them back in over the gpu.

Like I said this is a band-aid fix.

If u don't mind linux I recommend this
    http://www.gamestop.com/pc/consoles/...-i3-1tb/121862

It will work just fine for you until u build the PC you want, also you can put windows on it if u wanted. I recommend it over the post I made to upgrade ur PC even more so since its just $100 more.

I think u can do normal desktop shit (youtube and so on) on it. But if not just game on it and use ur desktop for everything else.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-09 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if there are missing wires?
    If you forgot either of the 2 that go to the motherboard - Computer won't even boot.
    If you forgot the graphics card - Won't post, it'll beep you telling it.
    If you forgot any of the non mandatory things (including HDs, DVD players and any other thing you might have) - You simply won't have those working. In the case of the HD the BIOS will tell you that you have no bootable drive found.
    How do I know which wires connect to which?
    Wires connect to plugs, and the format of said plugs only work for the wires they're supposed to be connected at. You REALLY shouldn't be afraid of this part at all, if you've ever built anything with LEGO it's basically the same thing.
    What if I don't plug in the power supply wires to everything that needs it? Or the hard drive wires? Or the USB wires? Or the CD player.
    The protection circuits won't allow the computer to work without things it need to work, relax.

I build my first PC when I was 11 or something, if I could do it back then you can do it now too.