Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Great, she has a larger soapbox, that does not give her opinion more validity.
    Well maybe if Trump wasn't such a terrible person she wouldn't have needed that soap box to tell the world how terrible he really is. Of course this is lost on a majority of Trump people that just buy into that Streep was wrong because she dared speak ill of the God Emperor.

Naw, they are entitled to their opinion. Its not as though it carries any more weight than yours. Its an opinion. An opinion that pretty much every one in the room shared, it didnt even take courage to spout it. She knew she would be met by cheers and adulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Great, she has a larger soapbox, that does not give her opinion more validity.
    Again i'm not sure about that. How many people instantly believe something when it comes out of a celebrities mouth. I'm not really talking politics more philosophy here but i'm going to use Donald Trump as an example. If he puts an opinion on twitter like "I don't think Korean people work hard enough" how many people are going to take that opinion as their own without any further investigation or thought because it's him saying it. Does that give a celebrity in the modern world more validity?

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Again i'm not sure about that. How many people instantly believe something when it comes out of a celebrities mouth. I'm not really talking politics more philosophy here but i'm going to use Donald Trump as an example. If he puts an opinion on twitter like "I don't think Korean people work hard enough" how many people are going to take that opinion as their own without any further investigation or thought because it's him saying it. Does that give a celebrity in the modern world more validity?

People giving weight, blindly, to an opinion, does not make the opinion MORE valid.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I really don't understand this romanticization of the working class nor that any criticism of Trump is suddenly directed at them.

People giving weight, blindly, to an opinion, does not make the opinion MORE valid.
    Depends on their choice of opinion surely? If she had given an opinion on acting that would be more valid.

A man who has spoken before the UN on the environment. Made two documentaries about it, created a foundation, traveled the world experiencing change and talking about it, engaged in discourse with the outgoing and incoming president on the issue knows nothing I assume? Why because you probably don't agree with him so its easier to dismiss the vessel instead of the words?
    Show me a smart original thought, or even a smart thought, that has ever come out of his mouth and we can talk. He pays for access, the end.

Depends on their choice of opinion surely? If she had given an opinion on acting that would be more valid.
    Sure I can grant that.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Don't worry you had these two who hated Meryl's speech.

Gibson, an Anti-Semite and Vaugh, the person who killed True Detective

I also saw tweets championing these two. You can have Mel Gibson.

https://twitter.com/JacobEngels/stat...15302232588290
    I never liked Vince Vaughn anyways. And I know there's some irony in that, with me blasting Trump for calling Streep over rated because she disagrees with him. But my disdain for Vaughn started long before the election and has nothing to do with his political beliefs.

He just plays the same damn character in every movie he's in. He's got no acting range at all.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think the funny thing is if she has ranted against Obama everyone defending her would be trying to set her on fire, oh you partisans crack me up. As far as her acting ability I can't say, she's usually in stuff I have no interest in.
    I would welcome legit criticism about Obama, nor am I a Democrat.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    And Trump is?
    I didn't talk anything about Trump... But if you started - Trump is a president of USA, so I guess he's better at politics than she is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I would welcome legit criticism about Obama, nor am I a Democrat.
    I am a democrat and I welcome legit criticism about Obama. I have a few issues with the man myself.

See, I actually have the maturity to admit that the people I support in politics aren't perfect and recognize mistakes they make. It's disturbing how people are so blindly hateful of everything Obama does or blindly supportive of everything Trump does. Like wtf?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I thought her speech was really great, but I know there are quite mixed feelings on celebrities using their platform to voice their own feelings/opinions on some very flammable subjects.

Personally I think if you have such a platform and can use it in a way to better the world in some capacity then do it.

What are your views on celebrities using their celeb status as a platform? And your general thoughts about what she speaks about in her speech?

Speech:
    I think being an actor doesn't automatically qualify you to address political concerts any more than average Joe.

One could make the case that actors are less in touch with the world the majority of people experience every day, so it would be downright irresponsible to try affect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I think being an actor doesn't automatically qualify you to address political concerts any more than average Joe.

One could make the case that actors are less in touch with the world the majority of people experience every day, so it would be downright irresponsible to try affect it.
    Why are actors less in touch? Seriously, people act like actors are all so smug and elitist. Maybe some are, but I'm sick of these people who get so up in arms when anybody calls Trump on his bullshit. We SHOULD be calling him out on things like this. I don't care if he was mocking him because he was disabled (the most likely scenario) or whatever other excuse you people make for him; at at the end of the day, it was unprofessional, juvenile, and unbecoming of a president of the united states.

So kudos to Streep. I don't care how rich she is or how many awards she has, at least she has authenticity (Protip - Being rich and famous does not automatically disqualify you from being authentic like some Trump fanatics seem to think). The only elitists here are the Trump fanatics who use working class "elitism" (if that even exists) to justify how any criticism of Trump is somehow unwarranted.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2017-01-09 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post

Is the argument that only people with political backgrounds should be giving political commentary?

Here's the thing though, Trump has been doing it for years. Trump isn't a politician and is about as Hollywood as they come without being an actual movie star.

I thought we valued the political opinions of non-politicians?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    My issue isnt that they're using their fame to talk about politics, my issue is that they are acting like they're better than the rest of america and proceed to talk down to us because they are on tv or in movies. All they're really doing is echoing the opinion of their handlers.
    Just reason number 74 why Hillary lost.

She thought she was making some grand speech, probably getting all kinds of attention and accolades after. All she did was hurt the country and divided us all more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post

She thought she was making some grand speech, probably getting all kinds of attention and accolades after. All she did was hurt the country and divided us all more.
    Likewise, one of the reasons of her downfall, I think, is her "Basket of Deplorables" analogy.

People on the edge between democrats and republicans probably didn't take well that one candidate would stomp on them even though they are not remotely close to the alt right.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post

She was directing her commentary to Trump. Please stop conflating Trump and "the rest of America". I really don't even think you people watched her speech, you're just parroting what you think she said.

Also, the jabs at Hillary are pathetic. Will you people ever stop kicking this dead horse? Hillary lost fair and square, and yes, the deplorables comment was probably not her greatest moment. We're talking about Trump now, so you should either remain on topic or make your own thread.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2017-01-09 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    What are your views on celebrities using their celeb status as a platform?
    The old woman in the 15.000$ dress has every right to get up from her 2.000$ dinner and express or fake (don't know, don't care) moral outrage about a politician mocking a journalist.

Her filter bubble will be happy with her, but the vast majority of ordinary citizens is more likely to adapt their opinion on artists than their opinion on Trump. After all there was no outrage from Hollywood when Hillary mocked voters as deplorables.

The last few 'grand causes' championed by 'Hollywood' iirc were equal pay for female actresses (aka when 12 million $ is not enough) and global warming (aka I came here in my private jet to tell you how disappointed I am you're not using energy saving lamps). I'd like to see numbers, but wouldn't be shocked to see they are actually harming their side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I think actors, unless we're talking about the gentleman in my avatar should stick to acting.
    Are you saying actors shouldn't have free speech? If your president can say whatever he wants or act like a fool, then so does everyone else in the public eye.
    #boycottchina

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Are you saying actors shouldn't have free speech? If your president can say whatever he wants or act like a fool, then so does everyone else in the public eye.
    No silly, that would imply I said 'should be forbidden from..'.