10+ Year Old Account
    I had about 200+ (sitting at around 18000+ hours played now) days played from Vanilla to Wrath and I still like Legion more. I had my fun in vanilla (I knew Gnomer inside and out on my level 40 rogue and used it to learn mob aggro ranges and better stealth) and had lots of fun in TBC, but the game only started getting good for me around Wrath (I took my time and leveled my paladin and shaman in about 3 weeks) and will remain the only expansion I had the most fun with a guild (until most everyone left it around the ICC 11 month lull).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    So, it's a matter of opinion? So, one can argue that playing on a non-blizzlike server would offer a decent vanilla experience?
    Ask any non biased person, that plays on the best ones. I doubt it, because a non-blizzlike server, would be intentionally altered in some way. A non-blizzlike server is most likely not even close to the same game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    It is vanilla no matter what you say. You are arguing, that people are only playing for every reason, besides the fact they just enjoy it more than retail. Noone is even arguing that it is exactly like how it used to be. But if you are wanting the vanilla experience, these servers are more than capable of giving you that. Also vanilla came out in 2004. You don't seem to know these simple facts, yet here you are saying how vanilla was this and that.
    Sure, it's fucking vanilla, when you do first quest to kill 10 boars and get full bag of gray crap to sell or when you have 100 people in the same location when servers actually supported, like, 1/5th of this population. Seriously, i've played my share of private servers, they are no way near to what vanilla wow used to be.

Literally yesterday friends i used to play in classic brought me onto one quite popular private server (literally to bring up some nostalgia about old times), it was a huge echo chamber of "wow this game is so much better than retail, blizzard sucks, people don't play private servers because they are illegal" that i had to turn on combat log just to stop my eyes from bleeding (which we all agreed on), and it was nowhere near the experience it used to be. Server claims it has x1 exp x1 drop rates, but seeing the amount of junk and money i had by level 10 - it was way off. Also how crowded this thing was, i used to play on high pop horde-only server and i don't remember ever seeing this much people, arguing about who should be killing next quest mob spawn.
    I enjoyed nostalgic feelings, slow grind, seeing my blue and green bars actually go down when you pull 3-4 mobs, but people were just retarded here, i couldn't stand it and they couldn't stop talking about blizzard and start actually playing the game
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-01-10 at 01:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Sure, it's fucking vanilla, when you do first quest to kill 10 boars and get full bag of gray crap to sell or when you have 100 people in the same location when servers actually supported, like, 1/5th of this population. Seriously, i've played my share of private servers, they are no way near to what vanilla wow used to be
    Have you played the recent ones? I have, and I find it very hard to argue they are, "nowhere near to what vanilla wow used to be". Now if you played on some random vanilla server years ago, I wouldn't doubt you. And come on man, when I say it is vanilla, I mean more than just 100 people in the same location, or working quests.
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    because shadow bolt and fireball does holy damage for it to be relevant kappa
    Obviously for Ret Paladins. For a raid then yes Judgement of Wisdom is better.

Actually, i can't argue any further. The term blizzlike is so nonsensical there is no point in continuing this.
    It's a perfectly cromulent word.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Obviously for Ret Paladins. For a raid then yes Judgement of Wisdom is better.
    Obviously for PvP you wanted to say, where judging SoC, stun into auto+ judge SoComm was a guaranteed one-shot. If target didn't died - repentance(or whatever the disorient ability there is) and repeat SoComm judge while spamming /laugh. Vanilla PvP at its finest

- - - Updated - - -

Have you played the recent ones? I have, and I find it very hard to argue they are, "nowhere near to what vanilla wow used to be". Now if you played on some random vanilla server years ago, I wouldn't doubt you. And come on man, when I say it is vanilla, I mean more than just 100 people in the same location, or working quests.
    yes, i've played the one with 10k queue time, most of the time it was circle jerk how old times are better from people who never actually been to said old times or played private servers all the way
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Actually, i can't argue any further. The term blizzlike is so nonsensical there is no point in continuing this.
    All it means is what it says, with unaltered drops, xp, damage, etc. But most of these servers that advertise that they are blizzlike, are bad servers or not actually blizzlike.

The only thing I think is better is the social aspect/community servers and flavor rp abilities/roles.. like when Hunters used to feed their pets, rogues needed vanishing power.. etc. I also like the idea of spending a few months leveling and adventuring like in vanilla before we reach end game. It makes the game longer and its not like you arent eventually going to reach the raids.

It was new. That's it. People were playing everquest back then. And when they did play WOW, most people that WERE new to the mmorpg process didn't know wtf to do. Only a number of people saw what naxx looked like on the inside. Only 2-3% of the player base had ever fought c'thun. And it wasn't because of the fact that it wasn't because of the fact that it was "Hard", or "Good". It was just because it was new.

We only had 1-2 AMAZING mmorpgs (Star Wars galaxies, and Everquest), so having a new game felt EXCITING!

Now, people are making MMORPGs left and right. And they either fail, or they just become a WOW clone. Black desert had a good idea that fell flat. GW2 is fun, but just for the time being. And FFXIV is actually nice, but...then again....some people find it either too weebish, or just not their style. They want a game that's not too dark, nor too cartoonish. And WOW has a perfect mix on not just the west/east, but to both realisitc/cartoonish styles.

That's what people saw when playing WOW! And now, with legion's release finally going through. People are over-looking too much into classic. They put on their "Rose" tinted glasses, saying that Classic was SO much more amazing that Legion. But then again, they're just stuck, living in the past. The balance of vanilla wasn't the best, it all just felt as if it was heading towards the ever-quest/SW galaxies players. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But, idk...so many new guys didn't have time to play it. And most of the subs that Vanilla got were from former everquest/galaxy players. But, WC3 did have some influence on that as well.

However, when WoTLK popped. The casuals, even more WC3 players, and children saw how cool wrath was, as an expansion in general. So, they played it. Infact, I think it was the casuals that made WoTLK go up from 6-8 million players, to 12 fucking million. They had fun. However, nothing rules forever. People grew up, and the game started losing subscriptions. Most of the time it was either cause casuals were complaining, or the fact that people kept growing up...

Now, blizzard has been pushing from 1 community, to the next. And it works (Sometimes), but then it doesn't. Remember WoD? -___- Yeeeahhh.

But, legion is doing WELL! And with 7.2 coming on the PTR soon, it's finally time we hype ourselves up again. Cause, to me. Blizzard is going ALL out with legion. And I could see it.

But, 1 thing still bugs me though: The people saying that legion is worse than WoD!

Want me to tell you what most people thought of, when playing WoD?: Selfies, 1 patch, apexis, and garrison stuff. While seeing the legendary questline BS. THAT'S IT!

Now, here's legion: AP, Pvp honor lvls, WQs, Nighthold, LOTS of 7.2 content coming, suramar, that dragon questline, mythic+s, and more.

Could go on. But call me a fanboy, and ignore ALL of my past stuff. I dare ya.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm doing some research and I'd like to hear your opinions guys and gals
    Its really a much better game now I think that even hardcore nost people will after a hard look say, that WoW, as a game, is better in its current version

I think what is more important, is to ask what made classic wow such a great/better experience to play through. I think it has alot to do with the time it came out and how new the genre of MMO was for most people, who took up the game. Having a brand new expereince with the game and also having to constantly pay for it, made alot of people fanatic players, because they felt like they had to play to get their moneys worth. Furthermore, alot of people were in their teens or early 20s when they started playing WoW, which gave them alot of time to actually put into the game, which ended up reducing the harm of many of the tedious farming features in Classic WoW.

Overall, it had alot to more to do with how the playerbase was at the game then how good the game actually was.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    All it means is what it says, with unaltered drops, xp, damage, etc. But most of these servers that advertise that they are blizzlike, are bad servers or not actually blizzlike.
    One of the most popular private servers out there that re-opened and people here had all the hopes in the world for it has altered drop rates while saying that it doesn't (or at least clueless loud players of this server say that it doesn't), since when having 5 6slots by the level 5 became unaltered drop rate?

I was also shocked that people on private server talk about live server more than people on live servers instead of focusing on the game. I've got into a party for a elite quest for low levels and these 2 guys couldn't stop talking about how cool it is, playing on an illegal server. It reminds me of 14 years old kids smoking and thinking that it's cool because it's forbidden
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-01-10 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    However, when WoTLK popped. The casuals, even more WC3 players, and children saw how cool wrath was, as an expansion in general. So, they played it. Infact, I think it was the casuals that made WoTLK go up from 6-8 million players, to 12 fucking million. They had fun. However, nothing rules forever. People grew up, and the game started losing subscriptions. Most of the time it was either cause casuals were complaining, or the fact that people kept growing up...
    This is wrong, TBC ended at 11mil because thats when heavy advertisement really started, i remember WoW banners EVERYWHERE, LITERALLY along with free gear from the Season 1--->Season 2 fuck up and then Wotlk barely added 1 million, its where the actual decline started happening because ICC lasted to long and even the casuals caught up and the whole "EVERYONE GETS TO RAID, DIFFERENT DIFFICULTIES GUYS" started.

Then Catacylsm upped the difficulty for the masses when they were used to facerolling stuff and they didnt like it.

When it comes to Vanilla WoW vs Now?

Only difference is: RPG vs ARPG

WoW used to go by RPG standards, not caring about balance, just acting like the usual RPG rules, resistances, so on, so on, long questlines etc.

It evolved past that, people need to understand that, there is no RPG element left apart from leveling, and its an Action RPG game pretty much.

Its exactly the same game in its core though, exactly the same game, Max level-->dungeons-->Raid-->Wait for next.

As someone that was there in Vanilla, in pretty much BiS gear or close to BiS from Naxx/AQ40 i can tell you for a fact, Vanilla was a pile of trash compared to today WoW, it just had the RPG element, that is all.

Unless you consider it fun, running around in so much gear that anyone that doesnt have same gear as me or isnt a tank i can 2 shot with my white attacks, not even discussing abilities, yeah it was fun when i was 18-19 and you know, having the feeling of "BOW DOWN PEASANTS", now that i am near 30, i simply cant pretend Vanilla WoW was good .

Good for 2005-2007? Yes.

Good as "New cool thing and RPG element?" Yes.

Good as anything after 2010? Hell no, evolve people.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-01-10 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Well I was asking for reasons why classic is better than current, not the other way round, and either way I can't really do much with feedback when it's in the form of "no it isn't".
    Then what you are doing is not research. You're just trying to create an echo chamber. In research, you take the data you collect and draw a conclusion from it after careful examination of the data. Yet in this thread you started with the "conclusion" already set (vanilla is better) and are now trying to find "data" to support your conclusion.

At least be honest and admit you're just trying to make an echo-chamber.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

7+ Year Old Account
    The main thing that I think makes classic better than current: in classic the game was new.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    My experience (anecdotal, I know) and logic - people who started with WoW were obviously more in the gamer community than people who joined later.
    If you know your only evidence is anecdotal, why bother refuting what I said? People have always been assholes on the internet, the Vanilla WoW community wasn't a shining beacon of purity. People weren't holding each others' hands and singing kumbaya by a campfire. Perhaps the nature of the game forced more cooperation but people did still all of the same bullshit then that they do now. I just don't believe people are any more toxic now than they were then. It's just way more socially acceptable to be an absolute fuckwad these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If you know your only evidence is anecdotal, why bother refuting what I said? People have always been assholes on the internet, the Vanilla WoW community wasn't a shining beacon of purity. People weren't holding each others' hands and singing kumbaya by a campfire. Perhaps the nature of the game forced more cooperation but people did still all of the same bullshit then that they do now. I just don't believe people are any more toxic now than they were then. It's just way more socially acceptable to be an absolute fuckwad these days.
    In fact, i will take current loot system over anything that we used to have. I'll take any system that removes an ability of player X to fuck over player Y on rewards that he will get from some sort of an activity. Seriously, people think that "it's hunter weapon" is some sort of a funny meme? It was a disaster. And most of the time hunter player knew what he was doing by rolling on that angerforge battleaxe

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    This is wrong, TBC ended at 11mil because thats when heavy advertisement really started, i remember WoW banners EVERYWHERE, LITERALLY along with free gear from the Season 1--->Season 2 fuck up and then Wotlk barely added 1 million, its where the actual decline started happening because ICC lasted to long and even the casuals caught up and the whole "EVERYONE GETS TO RAID, DIFFERENT DIFFICULTIES GUYS" started.

Then Catacylsm upped the difficulty for the masses when they were used to facerolling stuff and they didnt like it.

When it comes to Vanilla WoW vs Now?

Only difference is: RPG vs ARPG

WoW used to go by RPG standards, not caring about balance, just acting like the usual RPG rules, resistances, so on, so on, long questlines etc.

It evolved past that, people need to understand that, there is no RPG element left apart from leveling, and its an Action RPG game pretty much.

Its exactly the same game in its core though, exactly the same game, Max level-->dungeons-->Raid-->Wait for next.

As someone that was there in Vanilla, in pretty much BiS gear or close to BiS from Naxx/AQ40 i can tell you for a fact, Vanilla was a pile of trash compared to today WoW, it just had the RPG element, that is all.

Unless you consider it fun, running around in so much gear that anyone that doesnt have same gear as me or isnt a tank i can 2 shot with my white attacks, not even discussing abilities, yeah it was fun when i was 18-19 and you know, having the feeling of "BOW DOWN PEASANTS", now that i am near 30, i simply cant pretend Vanilla WoW was good .

Good for 2005-2007? Yes.

Good as "New cool thing and RPG element?" Yes.

Good as anything after 2010? Hell no, evolve people.
    Mmhmm. I see.

I barely played during BC, and only ever went through parts of BT. That is all. So, I apologize for my misconception of the sub count...

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul some expansions had more than others.

Vanilla, BC, Wrath, and MoP felt unique and alive.

WoD and Cata didn't.

Legion feels a bit like Vanilla to me but darker like wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Then what you are doing is not research. You're just trying to create an echo chamber. In research, you take the data you collect and draw a conclusion from it after careful examination of the data. Yet in this thread you started with the "conclusion" already set (vanilla is better) and are now trying to find "data" to support your conclusion.

At least be honest and admit you're just trying to make an echo-chamber.
    What would be the point in collecting irrelevant data? The whole thesis is to find things that made one version better than the other. It's like writing an article about why Blu-ray is superior to DVD and then starting to talk about why DVD is better. I'm sure there are arguments why DVD is better but they are completely irrelevant to the subject.