Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Maybe trump will be the billionaire president that realizes they have taken so much and will return some value to the people not at the top?
    You cannot be this naieve.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-01-10 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Which policies in particular?
    He claims that they are job killers, yet Anevers posted that Obama's policies created over 11 million jobs and saved another 1.5 million in the auto industry. He has no fucking clue what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    Jack Ma's been having these types of meetings for awhile. He met with Obama back in May, and has been pretty vocal about wanting to create jobs, though he's also in favor of lowering the corporate tax burden literally to 0. Obama obviously wasn't in favor of something so drastic, so it's possible that he's testing the waters of such a proposal on Trump.

Weird thing is, when Ma showed up at the White House for lunch with Obama, conservatives had a shitfit, for Obama daring to meet with a prominent Chinese businessman who had built a company to compete with a successful american one.
    Good point. Ma/Alibaba really wants to begin providing American cloud services and general e-commerce. Will Trump take a step back from his anti-Chinese stances and open the door for the Chinese or will he set aside his difference and continue to allow the dominance of both sectors by his favorite critic, Jeff Bezos?

And when Trump fails in about everything he has been saying, he will only blame "others". As a true narcissist would do.

Deleted
    I might have misunderstood something, but let me get this straight... people are now comparing:
    - 6 million jobs created over 8 years by obama overall
    -- to --
    - 1 million jobs being discussed about over 5 years in cooperation with 1 company?

10+ Year Old Account
    1M jobs over 5 years comes down to 200k/year, which is about what the US job market gains on a quarterly basis right now.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Do you Americans really hate Trump that much? You sound like you hope he doesn't create a million jobs just so you can garner some imaginary internet points at his expense.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbientEpicuros View Post
    And when Trump fails in about everything he has been saying, he will only blame "others". As a true narcissist would do.
    If you ever pay close attention to anything Trump has ever done, you will notice something that stands out pretty starkly: Trump never "loses". That is to say, Trump will NEVER admit to any form of failure or loss. Either Trump wins, or the Other Guy cheated. Whenever anything good happens, it is always because of how awesome Trump is. Whenever anything bad happens, Trump is pathologically incapable of admitting that he had anything to do with it. It is always someone elses fault, or someone cheating, or some other excuse.

Add this to the fact that the man changes his opinions more frequently then a runway full of fashion models change clothes, and has a nasty vindictive streak a mile wide with pretty much no compunction about taking his anger out on you for pretty much any perceived slight, and you have a walking disaster waiting to take office in less then 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You did gain something -- at least you should have gained the ability to better negotiate your own wage against the new minimum wage. The problem is many people in that income area that puts them just ahead of the minimum never use that to their advantage even though it's been available to them since the introduction of the minimum wage. As a Chicagoan I'm familiar with the introduction of new taxes on the general population but that has nothing to do with wage increases as much as it has to do with poor leadership and funds being spent for the wrong reasons.

Prices will continue to increase with or without cost of living increases to off-set them. The problem is so many people are afraid to ask for those raises out of fear of job loss no matter what skills and/or education they possess. Corporations like the McDonald's franchise that Fugus mentioned do like to scapegoat wage increases for the reason they price gouge -- it keeps the general citizenry of low-middle class and working poor people fighting about who deserves what.
    Quite a long post while never really knowing what i get paid. All i said was i get paid over it. My issue with this is that its not really helping the people who need it. Oh and before u bring it up im only livung here temporarily and i dont need a 100k house just for 2 years before i go back to the great north.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I'm just wondering how much the Kremlin pays these 'trump supporters' and if there is an American version of that job.
    Same pay tennis and genn gets paid for making dumb threads. But lower than the pro vanilla thread posters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Do you Americans really hate Trump that much? You sound like you hope he doesn't create a million jobs just so you can garner some imaginary internet points at his expense.
    You just described how are politics work. We only want our side to win so much thst we will discredit anything the other side did regardless how good it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's hope that he can do it.

The talk is excellent but what we really need is action and results.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Quite a long post while never really knowing what i get paid. All i said was i get paid over it. My issue with this is that its not really helping the people who need it. Oh and before u bring it up im only livung here temporarily and i dont need a 100k house just for 2 years before i go back to the great north.
    Doesn't matter what you get paid if you're over the minimum you can still negotiate yourself a raise. My service unit for example collectively bargained for a raise with the Chicago minimum wage climbing to $13/hour by 2019. The Company agreed to give us 13% over the 5 year period and in which to do so raised the price per ton on box car and grain hopper loads by sixteen cents or about $16 per car. For me personally that is a raise from $550/day (based on a 9 hour day) from when the negotiations started or $61.11/hour to $588.50/day as of January 1st or $65.38/hour. By the time the increases end it'll be up to $621.50/day or $69.05/hour. So just as a labor differential I have to move an extra 4 1/2 cars per 9 hour shift to offset the extra $72/day I'll be paid by in 2019.

It does help the people it's supposed to but only if it remains ahead of inflation and price increases. Raising the wage too slowly does nothing and raising it too quickly causes a system shock, and we end up with more companies like the aforementioned McDonald's who price gouge and blame the increase in wages. The major issue is that we have a nation that pays all of its workers too little so that when discussions like these come up about how to fix the problem many believe they're being paid decently even when they're not despite any applicable skills or education they may have.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    If Trump is personally responsible for creating millions of jobs, that will be great. And I'll commend him for it.

But it's hard to take much of this seriously, given his penchant for lying about jobs he's created or saved.
    Exactly, considering all of the jobs that he has taken credit to saving or creating, outside of the Carrier strong arm stunt he pulled, had nothing to do with him or his announced policies. I will be the first one saying he did a good job if he can bring sustainable jobs here. bringing back manufacturing that will only be replaced by automation shortly, i.e. the Carrier jobs, is not something that should be praised. I also do not want it to be a Gov. Perry situation like in Texas, who claimed to have this great job growth. After you look at the numbers most of those jobs were min wage fast food type jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Good point. Ma/Alibaba really wants to begin providing American cloud services and general e-commerce. Will Trump take a step back from his anti-Chinese stances and open the door for the Chinese or will he set aside his difference and continue to allow the dominance of both sectors by his favorite critic, Jeff Bezos?
    His anti-Chinese stance is just red meat. His stuff is still made there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I'm just wondering how much the Kremlin pays these 'trump supporters' and if there is an American version of that job.
    You missed out on being a ctr shill on reddit.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but...how?

At time of writing, American goods made up about $15 million (with an M) in sales in the entire last year. Alibaba did $17.8 billion (with a B) in business in November alone. American goods are just not a big part of Alibaba right now.

Even if these jobs were all minimum wage jobs -- and I'll remind everyone that Trump wants to remove the minimum wage, but one thing at a time -- $14,500 per year times one million people is one thousand times the total amount of sales the USA had in all of last year. Growth of 100,000% in five years is well past "holy shit" and balls deep into "impossible without a scam".

In addition, to the best of my knowledge, Alibaba is not planning on building factories or making goods. I mean, they might have to build some delivery hubs, but once built, those construction jobs are gone -- or, they'd use already existing construction companies. Neither is useful job creation. They are a logistics company. So these one million people would be some mix of tech support for their automated delivery centers, delivery drivers, and probably some translators into Asian languages. That's fine and all, but let's note that UPS has a total staff of under half that. FedEx is even less. So somehow, the idea of Alibaba expanding into the US would have to create over half a million jobs in already existing businesses, just by their very presence.

And all of this is assuming that US-Asian relations don't just hold steady, but actually improve. Such relations would be threatened by a President who doesn't understand the relationship between China and Taiwan, or who wants to expand the fleet specifically to combat China, or who wants to impose a massive new tariff on imported goods. Or all three.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying that, when a company named after the guy who led forty thieves, decides to join with the most bankrupt, debt-ridden, fraudulent businessman in the USA and says he'll create a million jobs by selling our expensive goods to a country that increasingly hates us, I'll choose not to take that statement at face value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    So far, he's done nothing.
    He did, he got elected and the Dollar simply crashed by 14% in a frickin' short time

Import costs growing by 10% is tough. But that's what Trump wants, right? No imports, only made in USA

So the ones believing Trump's bs are the ones who don't know how to add? Yea, why would that surprise anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    He did, he got elected and the Dollar simply crashed by 14% in a frickin' short time

Import costs growing by 10% is tough. But that's what Trump wants, right? No imports, only made in USA
    Hey, high import taxes was a method used plenty of years ago, before globalization and so on, to force the population to buy things made in their country. Surely it'll work for a country that is highly dependant on imported goods to manufacture. /s Especially since the main problem with many American products is the quality, not necesarrily the price

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I understand some Trump supporters are a little detached but this thread takes the biscuit
    Yep Obama created jobs through meetings and spending taxpayers money. He was somehow solely responsible.

Trump OTOH is trying to bring jobs to the US through meetings and without costing the taxpayers a cent. Yet he should receive no credit for trying.

Then you have the trump lies crowd who conveniently forget about email servers.
    "Maybe sno isn't from another planet like we all think, he's from the future.
    Or more likely he's from the past."
    - Fubar

Quote Originally Posted by Snodog View Post
    Yep Obama created jobs through meetings and spending taxpayers money. He was somehow solely responsible.

Trump OTOH is trying to bring jobs to the US through meetings and without costing the taxpayers a cent. Yet he should receive no credit for trying.

Then you have the trump lies crowd who conveniently forget about email servers.
    It's 2017 and arguments are still "but her emails!!!", roflmao
    Trump is a hypocrite, he produces his stuff overseas but boasts at "look at what I'm doing with these Mexico jobs!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    TBF Americans really have a bizarre political system and mindset, it's why it's always considered entertainment to other nations

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post

We Tired of Winning yet

Trump isn't even President yet and has lined up 1.5 million jobs and saved thousands from leaving
    let me put that in context Obama has a net gain of only 6 million in 8 years
    This is just more of your kool-aid drinking rubbish. And Trump is already a known and proven liar in regards to his promises and deeds. Until it happens, it's not on the board.