Page 1 of 2
LastLast

7.1.5 Survival Hunters

With the buff to Survival Hunters, how do you feel about the spec now? If you haven't played the spec yet, they're viable now [They were viable in 7.0 too imo..] but they should do great in Nighthold and mythic +
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2017-01-10 at 03:31 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    With the buff to Survival Hunters, how do you feel about the spec now?
    I like most of the changes, Explosive Trap being the major exception. It's really troublesome to have to target an area while doing your rotation, specially if target is moving.

I already disliked Explosive Trap before that. I don't think a trap should be part of rotation. IMO, they should make it the old glyphed version (knocks back enemies when it is triggered), without damage, then change our AoE rotation somehow.

Another thing I don't like is the change to Snake Hunter while keeping the other talents in that row the same. They should make Mortal Wounds more appealing (a simples addition like "Mongoose Bite extends Lacerate duration on the target by 2 seconds" would be enough) at least.

But overall the changes are good.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    I like most of the changes, Explosive Trap being the major exception. It's really troublesome to have to target an area while doing your rotation, specially if target is moving.

I already disliked Explosive Trap before that. I don't think a trap should be part of rotation. IMO, they should make it the old glyphed version (knocks back enemies when it is triggered), without damage, then change our AoE rotation somehow.
    Yeah its a dps loss too isn't it?

It's really troublesome to have to target an area while doing your rotation, specially if target is moving.
    You're probably aware, but you can macro those "place reticule on ground" type spells such as Flare/Death and Decay/Blizzard etc. so they work on mouse location. It removes the press key + click ground situation which avoids losing your target by mistake and other issues it presents.

Examples;

/cast [@player] Explosive Trap

Drops the Trap at your feet in a single press of the key.

/cast [@cursor] Explosive Trap

Places trap wherever your mouse cursor is in a single key press without the need to click anywhere.

#showtooltip Explosive Trap

This would be my new macro for traps in 7.1.5

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Yeah its a dps loss too isn't it?
    Not sure, but I don't think it is.

Traps as part of rotation is really weird, specially for a melee spec. We have an entire talent row in which our choices are: improve Explosive Trap damage, add Caltrops (another area targeting skill) to rotation or add Steel Trap (yet another area targeting skill) to rotation. Then a talent later that improves Explosive Trap AGAIN.

Traps shoud be utility-only IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    You're probably aware, but you can macro those "place reticule on ground" type spells such as Flare/Death and Decay/Blizzard etc. so they work on mouse location. It removes the press key + click ground situation which avoids losing your target by mistake and other issues it presents.

Examples;

/cast @Player] Explosive Trap

Places trap wherever your mouse cursor is in a single key press without the need to click anywhere.

I'm aware of those, but I don't think either is optimal. @cursor can be a problem if you take too long to find the cursor in the screen. @Player can make the trap not trigger depending on circunstances (target moves away from you just as you cast it). I'd really like an option to not use traps in rotation.

At least the increased CD on traps makes them be used less often.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2017-01-10 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post

Examples;

/cast [@player] Explosive Trap

none of those traps work?

Waylay in practice is absurd for steel trap.

Most creatures don't wander around anyways to set this up properly lol

also its only 150% on players

I'm not too crazy with the changes to be fully honest.

First off Waylay, I find placing the traps extremely annoying and time consuming. I'm mainly referring to the changes to Explosive trap. I wish explosive trap was like dragonsfire grenade in which you just threw it at the targeted enemy (obviously it wouldn't be a trap but just rename it). With the increase to Caltrops, it probably will also become highly viable so I guess macroing will be the solution--hopefully.

Secondly, I really dislike Lacerate not having a cooldown. I logged onto my hunter and after a while I was trying to figure out why all of a sudden my rotation felt extremely clunky. I realized it wasn't the trap but lacerate. I do like being able to Lacerate multiple targets but honestly it's one more thing I'm having to manage. SV hunter is already the king of "plate spinning". You have multiple cooldowns you have to track, mongoose windows, Way of the Mok'Nathal (if specced), etc.. For me, at least, Lacerate's cooldown simplified the "plate spinning" and allowed me to just hit lacerate when it came off. Now I'm having to also watch my bleed uptime as well as everything else.

Hopefully, I get used to everything and I like them, but as of right now, that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearyllus View Post

First off Waylay, I find placing the traps extremely annoying and time consuming. I'm mainly referring to the changes to Explosive trap. I wish explosive trap was like dragonsfire grenade in which you just threw it at the targeted enemy (obviously it wouldn't be a trap but just rename it). With the increase to Caltrops, it probably will also become highly viable so I guess macroing will be the solution--hopefully.

Secondly, I really dislike Lacerate not having a cooldown. I logged onto my hunter and after a while I was trying to figure out why all of a sudden my rotation felt extremely clunky. I realized it wasn't the trap but lacerate. I do like being able to Lacerate multiple targets but honestly it's one more thing I'm having to manage. SV hunter is already the king of "plate spinning". You have multiple cooldowns you have to track, mongoose windows, Way of the Mok'Nathal (if specced), etc.. For me, at least, Lacerate's cooldown simplified the "plate spinning" and allowed me to just hit lacerate when it came off. Now I'm having to also watch my bleed uptime as well as everything else.

Hopefully, I get used to everything and I like them, but as of right now, that isn't the case.
    I'm starting to get used to Lacerate. I think being able to use it on multiple targets is worth it.
    But traps shouldn't be part of the rotation of a melee spec.

@cursor can be a problem if you take too long to find the cursor in the screen.
    If you have trouble finding your cursor, check out yolomouse. https://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/

I've been playing since vanilla, and my hunter was the first character I created.And I always hoped to see a hunter spec that used their melee weapons and fought side by side with their pets, then along comes Legion "Joy!!" dream answered.A complex spec that had its issues but I stuck with and have enjoyed every minute. But I too do feel that the changes in this patch are sapping the fun from the spec by over complicating an already complex spec. the main issue for me are having to use now target reticles
    for the traps used in the general rotation, the use [@player] [@cursor] within macros ease the use somewhat, but the traps in question only have a 5m range which hamper use on a mobile target if you use [@player]tag and limit your movement if you use the [@cursor] tag (this because of using the mouse to move).
    Im hoping they see these changes as a major hit to play-ability and revert them to pre patch functionality.

Fingers Crossed!

I feel like explosive trap sucks, caltrops has higher priority even in single target. Even with Expert Trapper it does relatively low damage. So I have Spitting Cobra and catrops, because in most fights that are movement heavy Spitting Cobra and caltrops lead to more consistent dps.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearyllus View Post

This thats about how i feel too, right now it feels really clunky where it used to feel smooth, also dmg seems to have gone down drastically because of the clunkyness.

ditch the 2 second arming stupidity its garbage

Still melee, and therefore still not worth playing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Still melee, and therefore still not worth playing
    What a constructive piece of feedback good sir.

I like the changes well enough save explosive trap like most people. I'll get used to it though probably.

Deleted
    I used to play with caltrops for a while so I am used to manually targeting stuff thus I don't mind that explosive trap is ranged now. Heck, I even welcome it.

As for the buffs, damage buffs ain't bad. I'll take it.

Waylay seems a bit of a useless passive in pve but I found use for it in pvp so it's okay. Many specs have useless passives. No point in crying over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    What a constructive piece of feedback good sir.

I like the changes well enough save explosive trap like most people. I'll get used to it though probably.
    It's funny how people act like we are just trolling when we say the problem with Survival is it being melee. That is exactly the problem with Survival, it is the reason why hardly anyone is playing it, and we are dead serious when we say that is why it's not worth playing as a hunter.

Reticle dropped abilities feel terrible for melee classes. I never had an issue with my Mage, Warlock, or even ranged traps with my Hunter when we had Trap Launcher and other specs had DPS traps but holy hell do reticle aimed spells just feel incredibly wrong as melee. I'm not sure why but they just seem to be an antithesis to how melee moves and feels in close range combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Reticle dropped abilities feel terrible for melee classes. I never had an issue with my Mage, Warlock, or even ranged traps with my Hunter when we had Trap Launcher and other specs had DPS traps but holy hell do reticle aimed spells just feel incredibly wrong as melee. I'm not sure why but they just seem to be an antithesis to how melee moves and feels in close range combat.
    What she said!!!!