Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Cool to see Atlanta won something

The Crown beat GoT, Westworld, and Stranger Things? Actually I've never seen it so I can't say if it was better than them or not. Almost might have to check out This Is Us
    I have and it wasn't. No way it beats any of those shows - it's possible the voters didn't understand the other and sort of came home to mama with their simpleton vote. It is/was a fine series, but not even close to Westworld (or the other two - but WW is as new as Crown, while the others are in multiple seasons now).

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Didn't watch it, but I read about her anti-Trump speech. Look, I'm not a fan of his, but I also recognize that a privileged millionaire wouldn't know what the average, every day hard-working American goes through. Celebrities don't really live in the real world, yet it's easy for them to run their mouth about politics? Yeah, no. She's out of touch.
    It's also rather dull and predictable at this point. Thankfully a lot of people have caught on to the bias that exists in the entertainment industry. Many political issues are far from clean cut and yet these out of touch celebrities seem to be under the impression that they are. It's a clever way to maintain relevance, though, I'll give her that.

It'd also be pretty great if political biases were eliminated from these events altogether so the focus could be on the actual work supposedly being celebrated.

It's unfortunate this thread is all about that one political statement, instead of about the movies, but I guess more people have an opinion about actresses speaking their mind on political-ish issues than on movies they probably haven't seen.

Democracy's only saving grace is that it's better than the alternatives we have come up with in my opinion, but when we DO have a democracy, I find it absurd that people can't voice their opinions because "what do they know about politics". The answer is: apparently enough to vote on it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-01-10 at 12:10 AM.

Have an opinion, but don't speak for others and tell me what I want.... what I need. Don't try to relate to a life and hardships you don't experience because of your wealth and status.

Not you personally.
    Having read her speech, she never ever talks about "relating" to things she doesn't experience, at most she talks about empathy.

Deleted
    Have an opinion, but don't speak for others and tell me what I want.... what I need. Don't try to relate to a life and hardships you don't experience because of your wealth and status.
    Lol typical muricanishm ego here.
    Merryl knows what you called blue collar worker well enough as she works with them all the time or are you so DELUSIONAL to think everyone on set is rich?....

was a great speech she gave and I still hope one brave murican puts things right by gunning down that orange clown

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Nice to see The Night Manager won a couple awards,if you haven't watched it yet,you should, Hiddleston and Laurie are fantastic.
    Great series. I watched it on a whim and ended up binging it.

TV-shows are such a time-commitment and there's so many of them, I don't have a super good overview of what should be seen besides the really big ones. I would like to see more, but it's hard to have time for both that AND movies AND anime AND other interests. Can't consume all the media, unless your name is Fencers.

Personally, I think television is the better medium than movies nowadays. It's hard to tell a story in movies any more that seems coherent without it being an already-confirmed installment in a series. The MCU took like 5 movies to set up the Marvel Universe so they could skip all the background in the bigger movies.

A one-off movie then gets relegated to being either a mindless, turn-your-brain off flick, or an intense character study with very little in terms of a story in larger world (IE, The Revenant, the Martian, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Personally, I think television is the better medium than movies nowadays. It's hard to tell a story in movies any more that seems coherent without it being an already-confirmed installment in a series. The MCU took like 5 movies to set up the Marvel Universe so they could skip all the background in the bigger movies.

A one-off movie then gets relegated to being either a mindless, turn-your-brain off flick, or an intense character study with very little in terms of a story in larger world (IE, The Revenant, the Martian, etc).
    I thought so too for a bit, but I've found it to rarely be true. The biggest advantage of the MCU is that you know the characters better, the world-building is not very complex. Most TV shows also don't really have interesting settings I find, and they are usually slow and dragged out. One of the reasons I started to prefer anime is because their 22-minute episode format usually encourages them to not waste time. Most shows also don't have the budget to go epic, which is generally what I want when you have as much time as shows do.

Dumb ass Meryl lol Not sure I've ever seen any of her movies. I'd assume she's been in something I've seen? I just know the name and I'm really glad we have the electoral college for this election, I'd hate for her and her yelk to have "won" this election.

Sucks that most of the things I watch didn't win anything. I think i might have to watch The Crown, if it beat out GoT, Strange Things and Westworld... only thing I heard was the Queen giving head, but I don't usually like period pieces like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Dumb ass Meryl lol Not sure I've ever seen any of her movies. I'd assume she's been in something I've seen? I just know the name and I'm really glad we have the electoral college for this election, I'd hate for her and her yelk to have "won" this election.
    Her "yelk", as in, people who support diversity, free press and advocate empathy?

Best thing about this year's Golden Globes was seeing Trump get triggered on twitter.

The Crown winning was a sham. La La Land 7 nominations was also a fucking sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Her "yelk", as in, people who support diversity, free press and advocate empathy?
    That's certainly not Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post

The Crown winning was a sham. La La Land 7 nominations was also a fucking sham.
    Haven't seen The Crown or La La Land, but both of their victories seem pretty plausible based on what they are. Who should have won in those categories otherwise?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    That's certainly not Clinton.
    She never mentioned Clinton. I know that it might seem like it in America, but politics are not binary, and her speech was not even all that sharply political.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-01-10 at 03:19 PM.

The Golden Globes are a fun show if you are into that kind of thing, but the awards are absolutely meaningless, especially compared to the Oscars.
    The Oscars are pretty meaningless, too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    The Oscars are pretty meaningless, too, though.
    For whom? Certainly not for the movies involved or the actors/people involved. Awards buzz is huge for those types of movies, and most of them only exist because of the awards. Without them, we would mostly have big budget movies. It's a big boost for the actors and directors, who will get a lot more awareness and therefore more clout, which allows them to go make more movies and the movies they want to make.

It also dictates the type of movies that will be made in the future, which is why I care, and that's also why I care about what a movie makes at the box office despite there being no financial gain for me personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    How does Deadpool not win anything?!
    Cause Deadpool isn't entertaining to watch nor was it Funny with its terrible jokes and mediocrity. It should have been given a score of 3/10, only 3 cause it had good CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Cause Deadpool isn't entertaining to watch nor was it Funny with its terrible jokes and mediocrity. It should have been given a score of 3/10, only 3 cause it had good CGI.
    We can safely ignore your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Most people enjoyed Deadpool, hence why it was a huge financial and critical success. That said, no way it was going to win against La La Land. Would be interesting to see how it would have fared in a pure comedy category though, since La La Land would most likely also have rolled over the drama movies too.

The WGA did actually nominate Deadpool for Best Adapted Screenplay, so there is a chance it will get nominated for that category at the Oscars as well, which is probably the biggest form of award recognition it can hope for.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-01-10 at 04:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people enjoyed Deadpool, hence why it was a huge financial and critical success.
    Who did? 4th graders? Cause that movie was an insult and a slap to the face to all the good movies ever made.