Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Personally, I think television is the better medium than movies nowadays. It's hard to tell a story in movies any more that seems coherent without it being an already-confirmed installment in a series. The MCU took like 5 movies to set up the Marvel Universe so they could skip all the background in the bigger movies.

A one-off movie then gets relegated to being either a mindless, turn-your-brain off flick, or an intense character study with very little in terms of a story in larger world (IE, The Revenant, the Martian, etc).
    I tend to agree with you, in general, that television is the better medium. Take a series like West World - never would have made a good move. Not enough time to tell the right story in the right way. 10+ hours is a terrific way to enjoy characters as they develop, a good plot line with subtle and dramatic twists, and a world that can be explained (well, sort of, lol). Game of Thrones as a movie - no way.

However, there are still terrific movies being made, and to be made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    We can safely ignore your opinion.
    Right back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I tend to agree with you, in general, that television is the better medium. Take a series like West World - never would have made a good move. Not enough time to tell the right story in the right way. 10+ hours is a terrific way to enjoy characters as they develop, a good plot line with subtle and dramatic twists, and a world that can be explained (well, sort of, lol). Game of Thrones as a movie - no way.

However, there are still terrific movies being made, and to be made.
    Television can tell different stories, but I don't think longer is ALWAYS better, especially when a lot of TV is limited in scope by budget. Westworld and Game of Thrones are exceptions to the norm, those are shows with huge budgets and huge followings which few other shows can compare to. I would also suggest that Game of Thrones and Westworld are sometimes TOO slow, trying to pad out the ten hours they need to pad out before they reach the season finale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Who did? 4th graders? Cause that movie was an insult and a slap to the face to all the good movies ever made.
    What's your favorite five movies of the year?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Television can tell different stories, but I don't think longer is ALWAYS better, especially when a lot of TV is limited in scope by budget. Westworld and Game of Thrones are exceptions to the norm, those are shows with huge budgets and huge followings which few other shows can compare to. I would also suggest that Game of Thrones and Westworld are sometimes TOO slow, trying to pad out the ten hours they need to pad out before they reach the season finale.
    I never argued that longer is better. It depends entirely on the movie. Take Hidden Figures, for instance, great movie and terrific biopic(ish) on the women behind the scenes at NASA. Length was great - told a fun story and enlightened us all. Longer would have been useless, and potentially bad.

Passengers, however, needed another 15-30 minutes for some character development. And with Lawrence and Pratt at the helm, it would have been just fine.

I see movies being cut because they were "too long" - and I think the movie industry needs to move away from that. Three hours might be the cap (I realize that's contradictory) but within that time frame, tell your story.

I think you'll see any medium dragging a bit or being rushed a bit because of television time constraints - no way to fight it. Some series that aren't beholden to commercials don't have that issue (GoT and WW being examples on HBO).

She never mentioned Clinton. I know that it might seem like it in America, but politics are not binary, and her speech was not even all that sharply political.
    True, but if she's going to fire shots and Hollywood taking a shit over Trumpet face winning, they better damn well have just had all of these piss speeches ready to go regardless of the winner.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also suggest that Game of Thrones and Westworld are sometimes TOO slow
    I've felt that way as well, at least with GoT, there is SO MUCH source material and a bunch of stuff left out, it makes some of those too slow moments feel slower. I didn't feel it as much with Westworld, but it was/is new and fresh and I never saw the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Cause Deadpool isn't entertaining to watch nor was it Funny with its terrible jokes and mediocrity. It should have been given a score of 3/10, only 3 cause it had good CGI.
    And that's fine. I assume you won't be purchasing a ticket for Deadpool 2? I'll happily pick up the slack there, as I imagine i'll see it more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Television doesn't need to be big budget to compete. I bet the budget of Stranger Things wasn't huge. If you look at series like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, which are "standard" dramas so to speak, the budgets are probably in line with network dramas except for maybe Spacey's salary.

The point is, though, being freed of networks and their standards and practices allows you to explore much different stories never seen on television before, which rival movies that have never had those constraints put on them.

I agree, being on television doesn't guarantee quality. NCIS is an example of that. The premise is intriguing, but more than a decade on CBS has made the show a tired procedural drama where nothing in the world ever really goes forward.

It's a mystery to me why Silence is getting so few nominations and wins. It's a Martin Scorsese movie, and it's supposed to be pretty good, yet nobody is talking about it. Has it had wide-release in the US?

For whom? Certainly not for the movies involved or the actors/people involved. Awards buzz is huge for those types of movies, and most of them only exist because of the awards. Without them, we would mostly have big budget movies. It's a big boost for the actors and directors, who will get a lot more awareness and therefore more clout, which allows them to go make more movies and the movies they want to make.

It also dictates the type of movies that will be made in the future, which is why I care, and that's also why I care about what a movie makes at the box office despite there being no financial gain for me personally.
    That's not what I meant, but never mind.

It's a mystery to me why Silence is getting so few nominations and wins. It's a Martin Scorsese movie, and it's supposed to be pretty good, yet nobody is talking about it. Has it had wide-release in the US?
    13 January, according to IMDb. It's had a widespread release in only a few countries and is currently numbering only 5k votes on IMDb. Too early, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    That's not what I meant, but never mind.
    What did you mean then?

13 January, according to IMDb. It's had a widespread release in only a few countries and is currently numbering only 5k votes on IMDb. Too early, in other words.
    I believe that's the day the voting ends for the Academy members as well, and if they haven't been given an opportunity to see it by now, chances are it will miss the awards-train, which would be odd, since it's a movie that could have benefited hugely from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draggedintosunlight View Post
    Thank God. That movie shouldn't be rewarded with anything.
    You are an evil, evil man and I WILL STOP YOU!!!

I believe that's the day the voting ends for the Academy members as well, and if they haven't been given an opportunity to see it by now, chances are it will miss the awards-train, which would be odd, since it's a movie that could have benefited hugely from it.
    You were wondering why ‘nobody’ is talking about it. It's only been made available to the public in a few places; that's why. As for the voting, there as been a limited release, and it's been screened elsewhere. The people that need to see it for the voting has probably seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    You were wondering why ‘nobody’ is talking about it. It's only been made available to the public in a few places; that's why. As for the voting, there as been a limited release, and it's been screened elsewhere. The people that need to see it for the voting has probably seen it.
    Alright fine, you got me there. Still, it missing out at the Producer Guild Awards was a bad sign for its Oscar noms I think.