Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Scenario: it's 50 years from now and every job has been automated by artificial intelligence and robots. Your government gives you a basic income for doing nothing, it's enough for shelter and food. What do you do with your days?
    So I wouldn't have to do anything to survive? You say shelter and food; I'm guessing it's enough for other basics as well like clothing and health care.

In that case I'd probably spend all my time doing the 2 things that a do a lot of the time now: reading and playing video games. I'm assuming here that with full automation and no pressure to survive, creative people are creating simply because they have an idea they want to express. So lots of art/games would be IMO of better quality.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Scenario: it's 50 years from now and every job has been automated by artificial intelligence and robots. Your government gives you a basic income for doing nothing, it's enough for shelter and food. What do you do with your days?
    Pretty much this, minus the timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui6g23ygov8

50 years from now I'll be dead or in a nursing home drooling on myself.

The only people that need worry are children today.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    So you think the only thing humans are good for are doing jobs so that we can feed ourselves? Do you think people will be less inquisitive? less inventive? any less of a dreamer than the people of today?
    I think the majority of humans are not self-starters. We're more followers than we are leaders, and jobs give us a directed purpose. They give us a role in society, and ideally, we choose our own roles based on our own innate talents and skillsets, and our jobs allow us to improve upon the existing tech that said jobs utilize; I.E. a computer programmer who devises better code for his job, which makes him more money, better positioning within the company, etc. People do better work if they are rewarded for that work. As much as we would like to think otherwise, most people will not willingly throw themselves into work and improve upon things if they are not directly rewarded for it the way that they ideally will be the way things are now. With very few exceptions, hobbyists will never, ever be on the same level as trained professionals. And a world where the workforce has been replaced by automation is basically a world where there are no professionals, only hobbyists.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-01-10 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I'm a Ancient History researcher/Museum organizer, so my job is garanteed with the eventual automatization of the society.
    guaranteed* and guaranteed to what end? It's guaranteed to be gone sooner than most, a decent AI can run a museum, give better tours than you or anyone else with more information and have every bit of knowledge you have times 1000 without ever getting anything wrong or having to take time to look it up. Your job is actually prime for not existing due to AI replacing you easily, so I hope that's what you meant, guaranteed to be gone soon.

These kinds of jobs need to be gone asap so we can move towards a future where only the people who really want to work will do so and the rest of us can live happily with basic income, it's the only solution that works. I know some people will talk about money coming out of thin air or some other nonsense, but we already create money that way and the majority of money given through basic income just gets pumped back into the system and keeps the economy healthy at the same time. A few too many greedy people in powerful positions and too many stupid people who don't know any better will keep this world shitty for a while longer, but we'll get there eventually.

I'll be a senior citizen rambling about the 'glory days' of MMORPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    50 years from now ill be dead, i dont plan on living past 60.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

automation cant replace my job so im not worried about it.

People have to be behind the scenes keeping these AI in check. These people are probably going to make a LOT of money. I'd like to be one of those people.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play full immersion VR video games all day, if my body can handle it. I'll be well into my 80s by that point.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by weedburst View Post
    guaranteed* and guaranteed to what end? It's guaranteed to be gone sooner than most, a decent AI can run a museum, give better tours than you or anyone else with more information and have every bit of knowledge you have times 1000 without ever getting anything wrong or having to take time to look it up. Your job is actually prime for not existing due to AI replacing you easily, so I hope that's what you meant, guaranteed to be gone soon.
    Quite simple, unlike museums in the past, 21st Century museums have to be creative in order to sell tickets. People no longer want to go to a museum just to get "knowledge", they want to be entertained. Museums are already automated with audio and video guides and yet, more then ever, the educational services are full of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    What job can't a AI + robot replace?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    I would work on ASI.

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    A naive attempt for a taboo sector has been made and its source is available. It isn't a masterpiece, especially given its limitations to convolutional neural networks and images and the creators small amount of outputs, but it does its job properly cutting and annotating sections of videos which the biggest player in its respective industry currently does by hand.

I'm simply responding to your comment that your job will never be replaced. It seemed that you're speaking of your profession in general. Outside of, "Can it actually be done", questions always come down to:
    1) Can my bot surpass human efficiency?
    2) Is it financially feasible.
    1) no. Unless it shared a humanoid shape and dexterity along with the ability to learn,adapt,and improvise it couldn't.
    2) i can't believe it would be in my life time or the life time of my grand children.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Breed some tarantulas and roaches.
    Taroachulas. Dam straight.
    "Warlocks are the class that gives

we give all our spells and abilities to other classes"

- Bamboozer, from the Official WoW Warlock Forum

10+ Year Old Account
    Same thing I do now... figuring out how to apply automation is part of my job already...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    What job can't a AI + robot replace?
    Stand up comedian, party clown, special needs teacher/therapist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post

Like an ostrich with his head in the sand.

10+ Year Old Account
    If AIs take over our jobs then money won't circulate, no one will buy their products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    If AIs take over our jobs then money won't circulate, no one will buy their products.
    Basic income friend!