can I replace i3-4150 with i5-7600k?

I'm guessing I can't but just want to make sure.
    I'd like to upgrade my CPU, but if I must upgrade my Mother Board and RAM as well I will just wait for RYZEN release to see how that's going for us, customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I'd like to upgrade my CPU, but if I must upgrade my Mother Board and RAM as well I will just wait for RYZEN release to see how that's going for us, customers.
    your going to want to so you can get the best out of your new cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    your going to want to so you can get the best out of your new cpu.
    I plan to, but can't buy everything at once, can I atleast put new CPU in that old MoBo for a while?

Deleted
    I plan to, but can't buy everything at once, can I atleast put new CPU in that old MoBo for a while?
    my psycic waves are disturbed, can't see clearly that old MoBo -- i get image of potato, or is it hampster. whatever you do, don't tell what motherboard you have...
    Last edited by mmoce25a800b33; 2017-01-10 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    my psycic waves are disturbed, can't see clearly that old MoBo -- i get image of potato, or is it hampster. whatever you do, don't tell what motherboard you have...
    Lmao, I wish I could remember from top of my head, anyway, figured people might know what sockets those two CPU's go to.
    I found this:

i5-6600k --- FCLGA1151
    i3-4150 --- FCLGA1150

I've no idea if those are absolutely different or the same stuff just never but still compatible.
    Last edited by Tokas; 2017-01-10 at 11:36 AM.

No, an i5 7600 will not fit in a motherboard that can take an i3 4150. They are different processor generations, and use different pin layouts, so it would not physically fit in the socket, let alone work with the chipset. You would need a new motherboard and, most likely (unless you can find a current gen board that takes ddr3, though that would seriously hold it back) new RAM, as the i3 4150 would be using ddr3, while ddr4 is the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Syri79 View Post
    No, an i5 7600 will not fit in a motherboard that can take an i3 4150. They are different processor generations, and use different pin layouts, so it would not physically fit in the socket, let alone work with the chipset. You would need a new motherboard and, most likely (unless you can find a current gen board that takes ddr3, though that would seriously hold it back) new RAM, as the i3 4150 would be using ddr3, while ddr4 is the new standard.
    Thanks, waiting continues then

Barring a miracle, Ryzen is hugely unlikely to be competitive with a decently overclocked i5-7600K.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Barring a miracle, Ryzen is hugely unlikely to be competitive with a decently overclocked i5-7600K.
    Depends on what you mean by competitive.

If it is within 10-15% on IPC (instead of behind 40-45%), but is cheaper, i'd call that competitive. Especially since theyll have more cores and threads at every price/performance point.

Considering how few games are CPU bound as long as your CPU isn't super-garbage, as long as they land Haswell/Broadwell performance, theyll be in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao, I wish I could remember from top of my head, anyway, figured people might know what sockets those two CPU's go to.
    I found this:

i5-6600k --- FCLGA1151
    i3-4150 --- FCLGA1150

I've no idea if those are absolutely different or the same stuff just never but still compatible.
    your socket sizes are bolded. those numbers MUST match on the Mobo & CPU for them to physically fit together.

if you knew that already, im sorry. it kinda sounded like you might over look that. a mistake i made many years ago and had to learn the hard way to double check them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    your socket sizes are bolded. those numbers MUST match on the Mobo & CPU for them to physically fit together.

if you knew that already, im sorry. it kinda sounded like you might over look that. a mistake i made many years ago and had to learn the hard way to double check them.
    Didn't know, that's why I'm here Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I'm willing to wait and see... after all my first PC had AMD Athlon 950mhz and some 64mb AMD video card, so nostalgy factor alone makes me want them to win this "race"

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Depends on what you mean by competitive.

If it is within 10-15% on IPC (instead of behind 40-45%), but is cheaper, i'd call that competitive. Especially since theyll have more cores and threads at every price/performance point.

Considering how few games are CPU bound as long as your CPU isn't super-garbage, as long as they land Haswell/Broadwell performance, theyll be in the game.
    Most games are CPU bound on a single thread, at least under DX11. That's why cheaper i3 PCs can outpace an 8350.

IPC is supposedly similar, but we still don't know what Ryzen will be clocked at on launch, how many cores the affordable chips will have or how much it costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Z87/Z97 board (Again, we need to know what board you -actually- have), you could get a 4690K which is more or less just as good, and be set on CPU until ~2020
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yes you have to upgrade mobo and ram 7600k is a new chipset and ddr4 i3 4150 is ddr3 ram. Just wait thats what i am doing for my game rig ill be going ryzen or 7700k. Using a i7 4790k atm so pretty old

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    Just wait thats what i am doing for my game rig ill be going ryzen or 7700k. Using a i7 4790k atm so pretty old
    You're going to notice virtually no difference, honestly. The 4790K isn't even that old, either.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You're going to notice virtually no difference, honestly. The 4790K isn't even that old, either.
    Well i will the 4790k with dd3 is struggling to keep up with my sli 1080s. Main reason is the ddr4 uppgrade the 1080 benefits from it