Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    yea, im clueless - ask my dhf riend doing 600k st now and my pally friend doing like 1.2m burst lol.

your not the brighest apple but you are correct, the buffs were to compensate for the removal of thing slike might, and secondary stats, however they were also to balance overall OBVIOUSLY. and blizzard is on record saying theyhre happy w/ where ppl now are.

unfortunately that means most classes where theyve been all along.
    What your "friends" are doing was pretty standard pre-patch already if you had appropriate gear and fight duration so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. Maybe your DH didn't play Momentum properly previously and now benefits from a viable no-momentum rotation if he was doing significantly less previously.

By the way, gotta love how you need to throw in an insult as well just because you have no actual arguments... also ironic how you fail at basic English grammar while calling others "not the brightest apple". Overall a pretty pathetic display of projection I have to say.
    Last edited by GT4; 2017-01-10 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally the two specs you mentioned by name weren't buffed but compensated for other changes that reduced their DPS. Ret lost GBoM and had its legendaries nerfed significantly. DH lost two fel rush charges per minute from an artifact trait change which is a huge nerf to any momentum build (= all pre-patch builds), demon blades was reduced from 75% to 60% proc chance (this replaces your generator so it's equivalent to the generator doing 20% less damage and generating 20% less resources) and the legendary ring's bonus to resource generation was significantly nerfed as well.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not true. The stat conversion changes were directly made up for by secondary stats on jewelry being increased and all stats on non-jewelry being increased. Not only is that trivially easy to see on PTR (being 897 average, my secondary stat percentages actually stayed roughly the same and I got a free primary stat buff to boot), it was also described in a blue post before it was applied.

For most specs, the spec auras simply make up for the 5% crit loss (agility classes), talent nerfs, class changes, legendary nerfs, etc. but for some they were also used to bring up specs that were slightly lacking. Vengeance DH, Brewmaster Monk and WW Monk basically got an extra 5% tacked onto the 4% compensation for the crit loss because they weren't doing particularly great.
    While about the "stat rebalance" you're right, the aura were, and they said it clearly, were an offset to grant specs to retain their performance pre patch.
    I'm really, really sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    While about the "stat rebalance" you're right, the aura were, and they said it clearly, were an offset to grant specs to retain their performance pre patch.
    I'm really, really sure about it.
    It doesn't matter how sure you are because it should be absolutely obvious to anybody that a 9% damage buff to basically all abilities in combination with SEF fixes (which allow you to pick SEF without a damage loss for fights with AoE) contributes way more damage than you lose by losing 5% crit. The same would be true for brewmasters as well.

You can even see it if you go through the PTR changes. At first, basically all specs that had 5% crit removed got a 4% damage buff (some directly got a bit more because of other changes) and later on they increased that buff for a bunch of specs that were underperforming in PTR raid tests. Those specs happened to be the ones that are already underperforming on live as well.

It was basically even stated in a blue post here:
    TLDR version: Many class tuning changes for this build (and subsequent builds) are not likely to appear directly via datamining. Tooltip values for spells should still show their new amounts properly in-game, but many of these changes are being done in a way that's less apparent through datamining.

For more clarity on why: we're getting to the point of the PTR development cycle where we're starting to make heavy changes intended for overall performance balance between classes. In the past, this would have been done by changing each affected spell individually, which can be a slow process. To allow for more rapid iteration during the PTR process, we're instead those putting changes into a passive aura for each spec. That means only 1 "spell" needs to be modified, instead of several, which allows us to make more adjustments in total per build.

Once the PTR cycle is concluded, these adjustments will most likely be moved from that passive aura into the baseline spells, but in the meantime, please be aware that what's seen via datamining may not immediately show all of the actual changes that have taken place.
    It was never even remotely stated that those auras are supposed to make specs perform as they do on live (and they actually don't... just look at SV for the first time simming higher than BM/MM in proper gear thanks to their global damage buff).

tl;dr: The auras were an easy knob on PTR to make class tuning changes once they were happy with how your rotation plays out... it's ignorant to believe they'd only use those to make specs perform as on live (even underperforming specs) when there was never anything stated like that by Blizzard and underperforming specs in 7.1 clearly got stronger overall with those changes.
    Last edited by GT4; 2017-01-11 at 09:17 AM.

Here is my biased opinion after last nights raid, take this with a grain of salt.

I raid with a small group of friends who range from in the 90% tier to the 40% tier of damage for their class. I am normally in the 50-60% tier at the moment, I drop hit combo's once in a while and get too much chi not enough energy (something I am working on). But last night my dps went up signifcantly. Normally I am in the top 3 but 1-2% damage done behind the top 2. Last night we all did more damage but instead of 1-2% it was closer to .1%. All of our DPS went up for the entire raid, so I would bet based on this we moved up a bit and are in the middle of the pack again.

I have to say I am honestly a bit sad that hit combo / serenity is still the best for longer fights, I was hoping to have my minions running around killing stuff cause it looks cooler but oh well.

As I said I am not top tier but I'd say we are in a better place than we were before the patch and I still love the feel of the monk.

Deleted
    How is this possible, last night simmed myself, serenity was 347k, WDP/SEF was 334k, WDP/SEF + DHC was 343k, and you are telling me that after the serenity nerf and SEF fix/buff serenity is still better (or its all about the DHC?)?

Cherry picking blue posts aint fair.
    For references, the early blues when they reworked the stat scaling and jewelry budget.

Btw you really went off track so much from what i meant: dont judge a buff/nerf by the aura alone.

Else fire and shadow are ludicrously buffed. Which ofc is far from true.

My dps really picked up after the buff and I also switched to Xuen and WDP. I'm having a lot of fun using different talents. My dps may still be better with serenity, but I was in the mood for something new now that the dps differentiation isn't so stark.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Looked at logs earlier and WDP was dominating even for logs without DHC. Alas since SEF receives a much larger bonus from the spiritual focus trait I don't see how serenity competes once that trait is acquired. Longer duration, larger damage modifier, 2 charges and WDP in SEF favour vs serenity's no chi cost.

Also puzzles me how serenity with RJW wins in large target fights. I imagine RJW from the clones would apply the crane mark. Hence if you had 15 targets clumped and SEF running a single cast of RJW would apply 15 crane marks. Certainly that would beat serenity?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    Looked at logs earlier and WDP was dominating even for logs without DHC. Alas since SEF receives a much larger bonus from the spiritual focus trait I don't see how serenity competes once that trait is acquired. Longer duration, larger damage modifier, 2 charges and WDP in SEF favour vs serenity's no chi cost.

Also puzzles me how serenity with RJW wins in large target fights. I imagine RJW from the clones would apply the crane mark. Hence if you had 15 targets clumped and SEF running a single cast of RJW would apply 15 crane marks. Certainly that would beat serenity?
    RJW caps at 5 targets.

RJW caps at 5 targets, RJW is also cast by clones so would not their RJW also mark 5 unmarked targets? Or does RJW have limited functionality with SEF and only applies damage? That would seem kind of odd because TP/RSK/BoK apply mark for the clones so why would RJW be any different?

Or does RJW have some limited functionality which hard caps it at marking 5 targets only? I assumed if there 10 targets and you did nothing else the first RJW would mark 5 targets and a second cast of RJW would mark the other 5, is that incorrect?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    RJW caps at 5 targets, RJW is also cast by clones so would not their RJW also mark 5 unmarked targets? Or does RJW have limited functionality with SEF and only applies damage? That would seem kind of odd because TP/RSK/BoK apply mark for the clones so why would RJW be any different?

Or does RJW have some limited functionality which hard caps it at marking 5 targets only? I assumed if there 10 targets and you did nothing else the first RJW would mark 5 targets and a second cast of RJW would mark the other 5, is that incorrect?
    Incorrect yes - atleast what i tried. I rjw'd once, got 5 stacks. Rjw'd again and got to 8. So i guess it hits target that already have the stacks aswell, in which case it doesn't focus targets without it.