Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    So many arguments here about how "the mean old airlines are squeezing us together!". The economic principle of the invisible hand is causing that, not an even James-Bond-villain. If 1000 people need to fly, and airplanes work at this weight and size, then we can fit X seats into the plane, where each seat is Y size. The problem is then when so much more of the population is becoming an outlier and "not fitting" into that seat.

You can have an argument on why people are fat now, and why it's getting worse, but that argument is not the purpose of sharing OP's article, I would reckon.
    @Tennisace "If they are so large that they encroach into their neighbour's seat then they should buy 2 seats or buy a business class fare."

With this argument premise, I would say that I agree with your proposal.

Airline seat costs were designed based on price per space used, as the inside of an airplane is precious space.

Ergo, If you are larger than the X size of the seat, you are taking up more than your fair share.

Should we design larger seats? I really, really hope not. If 1 row of seats has 4 seats, each seat costs $100, then that row is worth $400. If we make bigger seats, then that $400 worth of space is now 2 seats of $200. Not only did we increase (drastically) the cost to fly, we have also (drastically) reduced the number of total seats available.

The Invisible Hand will take care of the rest and completely ruin air-travel as we know it.

I typically fly business or first class and even on an MD-80 I had zero issues fitting into my seat im 5'9 .

Typically the cheaper seats are what? 2-3 inches smaller? I still would of had room and my waist is a 38 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    @Tennisace "If they are so large that they encroach into their neighbour's seat then they should buy 2 seats or buy a business class fare."

With this argument premise, I would say that I agree with your proposal.

Airline seat costs were designed based on price per space used, as the inside of an airplane is precious space.

Ergo, If you are larger than the X size of the seat, you are taking up more than your fair share.
    That's what I don't understand about this topic. A quote from the article:

“He kept pushing the arm down which was like pushing into my belly and my thigh."

That literally means the person was over the divide and onto the other seat. This isn't an argument of who should have rights over the armrests but rather a fairness issue. If you're literally spilling onto another persons seat, you should pay more... that's fair. It's not even about being mean, we each paid X-amount of dollars and it's already uncomfortable enough in the airplane without the potential of someone taking my already too small seat.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Ouch, why educate yourself
    You're the one posting bullshit which is debunked in a 5-sec search or the tiniest bit of common sense, you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.
    I like being the size I am. You don't. Sucks to be you.
    I'm pretty happy with my size. I wouldn't be happy with yours. Not that's a surprise, but reading comprehension is really not your forte.
    Aww, don't like my size? Sucks to be you. I like my size, so I have no issues.

Bad knee I was born with. Weak heart runs in my family. Not that you care, or anything.
    It's comical how all the facts points to one thing, and your word point to another.
    Somehow I'll follow the facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    And telling people to "stop being fat" or other bullshit like that is only making things worse. People who are actually obese often cannot exercise on their own (or rather at all), and eating less and less while being completly immobilized might only lead to making situation worse.
    People don't become fat magically or (save maybe for a minuscule percentage) through "genetics". As it was pointed already, even identical countries when it comes to affluence, job distributions and even geographical proximity (like first-world countries in Europe) have hugely different percentage of obesity (usually, the more anglo-saxon the culture, the more obesity). It proves that obesity depends on behaviour, so nothing that is enforced on people against their will.
    So yeah, fat people are fat because they have bad habits. I won't be a complete asshole and harass them, but I have zero sympathy for them, and if their fat becomes an annoyance for me I have the right to be irrated by them.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-01-10 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Because weight is subjective? Do you honestly feel like a 240 pound man who is 6'4 should have to pay for 2 seats while a 220lb 5'0 female can get away with 1 seat?
    True weight is subjective, so they should not base it on weight, but girth.

I think that if you are so big (wide) that you take up two seats, then you should have to pay for two seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    This, and it's a pain in the ass as a tall person too. "Just buy 2 seats" is a terrible argument. Some people struggle to get money for a flight, and to double the cost is just a stupid solution.
    If you are struggling to buy a plane ticket, maybe you should rethink your priorities and not be flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    We knew he'd get around to a veiled fat shaming thread eventually.

OT: Honestly, they should just have a section of larger seats.
    Larger Seats = Less Seats = More $$ per Seat.

So in the end, you will still have large people bitching that they have to pay more than someone that is in a smaller seat.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use more of a subscription than someone else should they charge you more? I see lots of people who cant put their bags in the storage areas because people use that up too. Maybe we should also charge them more.
    A subscription to a service != buying a ticket for a seat. Nice try though.

As for Carry on. It should have strict max size and each seat should have a designated space (cubby hole) that no one else can put stuff in, unless you don't have carry on, and they ask you and you say it is ok to use it. It should also be one carry on bag per seat max. No Bag + Laptop bag + whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Larger Seats = Less Seats = More $$ per Seat.

So in the end, you will still have large people bitching that they have to pay more than someone that is in a smaller seat.
    You're correct and I agree, especially since most airlines (save Southwest types) offer bigger seats for people, which cost more as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    As for Carry on. It should have strict max size and each seat should have a designated space (cubby hole) that no one else can put stuff in, unless you don't have carry on, and they ask you and you say it is ok to use it. It should also be one carry on bag per seat max. No Bag + Laptop bag + whatever else.
    FAA does regulate max size of overhead and under seat storage. Problem is most airlines attendants don't care. I personally hate people having a big bag, big "under the seat but we all know I'm going to shove it overhead" bag and a personal bag. That said, I've seen some attendants force people to check a bag if they see them putting 2 things in the overhead.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

This, and it's a pain in the ass as a tall person too. "Just buy 2 seats" is a terrible argument. Some people struggle to get money for a flight, and to double the cost is just a stupid solution.
    Well they could take the train instead? Though they might have to pay double there, too. It's a choice really ... if you can't afford the price for two seats, either don't eat as much or don't travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with yours.
    I don't really care about what makes you happy or not nor is it my job to ensure you are happy unless you are paying me to do so.

OR, we can both care about what makes each other happy and work together to ensure we both are happy.

But as long as you act like I need to alter my life to ensure your happiness, you will have to pay me to do so.

I don't really care about what makes you happy or not nor is it my job to ensure you are happy unless you are paying me to do so.
    God, your reading comprehension is just abysmal.
    You were the one saying I was unhappy with my weight, I was pointing that it wasn't what I said.
    But as long as you act like I need to alter my life to ensure your happiness, you will have to pay me to do so.
    I don't care about how you live your life, as long as I don't sit in the plane next to you and you start to impede on my own space.
    Calling bullshit on ridiculous claims on an Internet forums has no relevance at all about how your life affect my happiness. Your logic is just completely broken.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-01-10 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could lose weight or is that too hard of a concept? probably...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way you are not lying since I only eat what I said I eat per day and maintain my 345lbs for 3 years now.
    Maintaining 345 pounds? How is that possible unless you are eating and living an unhealthy lifestyle? You don't see 345 lb women in the slums or 3rd world countries do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Maintaining 345 pounds? How is that possible unless you are eating and living an unhealthy lifestyle? You don't see 345 lb women in the slums or 3rd world countries do you?
    Maintaining weight is easy, losing it is hard.

as long as I don't sit in the plane next to you
    Fix your issue yourself or pay someone to help you fix your issue.

It's not my job to ensure you don't sit next to me so you can be happy, unless you pay me.

- - - Updated - - -

You were the one saying I was unhappy with my weight
    No, I did not.

I said:

"I like being the size I am. You don't(like me being the size I am). Sucks to be you."

"Aww, don't like my size? Sucks to be you."

That is saying I don't care if you don't like the size I am, it's not my job to ensure you are happy with the size I am, unless you pay me to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Maintaining 345 pounds? How is that possible...
    I doubt you could afford what I would charge you to answer that.

I tried to answer it for free, but the tards want to cling to being blind sheep.

So, no more answers without payment first since no one wants the truth for free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Maintaining weight is easy, losing it is hard.
    For me, it's mostly the opposite. I tried to stay around 130lbs because that is where I feel comfortable at, or even to gain a little bit more - but fell back to like 110-115 over the past months. Without actually trying to lose weight. It just varies a lot from person to person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Pretty much impossible to not lose weight with rhat caloric intake if youre 5'4 and 345 lbs.
    For good measure she should start off with hour long walks every day as well.

For good measure she should start off with hour long walks every day as well.
    No thanks, I enjoy the size I am and prefer to not inflame my bad knee.

Fix your issue yourself or pay someone to help you fix your issue.

It's not my job to ensure you don't sit next to me so you can be happy, unless you pay me.
    It's not up to me to fix anything if some fat ass is overflowing from her chair and intruding my space. I'm not the one at fault.
    And yes it's your job to ensure to not take the space of others.

It's not up to me to fix anything if some fat ass is overflowing from her chair and intruding my space. I'm not the one at fault.
    And yes it's your job to ensure to not take the space of others.
    Pay me to get out of your way or get sat on, tough guy. OR, buy your own airplane to ensure I don't sit on you. Good luck!

Pay me to get out of your way or get sat on, tough guy. OR, buy your own airplane to ensure I don't sit on you. Good luck!
    That has to be the most retardedly broken reasoning I've witnessed.
    "pay me to not intrude on your space !!!"
    But then you've only sprouted stupidities and denial since the beginning, so I guess it's not unexpected. Also this strange obsession with being paid must hint at yet another unhealthy mental disturbance.

Also fun to see some clown talking about "tough guy" when she's all about posturing on the Internet ^^

That has to be the most retardedly broken reasoning I've witnessed.
    "pay me to not intrude on your space !!!"
    But then you've only sprouted stupidities and denial since the beginning, so I guess it's not unexpected. Also this strange obsession with being paid must hint at yet another unhealthy mental disturbance.

Also fun to see some clown talking about "tough guy" when she's all about posturing on the Internet ^^
    I am not the one going around the thread "get outta my way fatties!".

I am replying to that with "nope", however.

I am fine with sharing space with you even if you encroach on my space a bit.

If YOU are not fine with it, it's YOUR problem, YOU deal with it.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-11 at 07:43 AM.