Looking to get back into console gaming O.o, where to start.

I havent owned a console since the original playstation and miss the simplicity and experience consoles can give i guess. I mainly want to play fallout 3 and new vegas on console to start with (and red dead redemption, heard good things about that game) so basically this thread is xbox 360 vs ps3 and which route i should go. Looking on gamestop i can get 250gb models for around 120 bucks, but gamestop has a deal currently for a 360 slim that comes with 5 games red dead included, but given that i have never used a xbox controller im not sure id dig it.

Xbox: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/con...-bundle/128647
    5 free games
    Not sure id like controller
    No blu ray player
    Gotta pay for online play (not sure id do much online play anyways)

PS3: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles...rbished/101900
    No free games
    Free online play
    Blu ray player

I am sure id like to play other games as well but to start i just want to replay fallout series and give red dead a shot, so console exclusives dont really figure into the equation for me. I do kinda think those consoles are a bit overpriced but i dont know of any other good options, i dont want to deal with craigslist because id have to drive an hour minimum and ebay does not offer a retail store like gamestop where i could return if i wasnt happy with the condition etc. Other option would be go for an xbox one s for 250 bucks at walmart but the idiots made it white! What were they thinking lol (it would look so out of place in my entertainment center).

One other option would be to go with a 4gb xbox 360 and add a 1tb HDD for 50 bucks putting total at 130, but wouldnt get any of the free games.

The xbox 360 had superior performance for most games that gen so that'd be worth taking into consideration. I remember when I had to decide between red dead on either I went with xbox due to those performance reports. I think this was true for fallout games as well.

I had both from launch dates and my xbox got the most playtime by far, this was due in part to my preference to the xbox controller over the ps3. If you have larger hands the xbox controller is better.

Hmm ive actually heard the opposite from the minimal research ive done, that the PS3 had overall better hardware but it was harder to code for. As for controller im sure id like the ps3 better so that is a consideration i guess. I can also go super cheap and get an OG style xbox 360 for 60 bucks but with no HDD and just play the games off the optical drive lol. 60 dollar PS3's seem to be out of stock.

A more ridiculous reason im leaning toward PS3 is matte black and would be easier to keep clean lol. Also like the idea of slot load vs tray on the 360. Still havent ruled out 360 yet tho, ps3 is just ticking more boxes atm.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-01-11 at 05:56 AM.

I mean, if you are not going to play online just go with w/e console exclusives that might interest you. Blu-ray players are dirt cheap atm, wouldn't even consider it that much of a feature imo.

Want to play Halo, Gear of War, Forza etc? 360.

Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted, jrpgs? PS3.

You say that it may not matter now, but you are buying a console for console exclusives. If you only intend to play RDR and FO3, then go with w/e is cheaper tbh. Even the cheapest option isn't worth 2 games IMO.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I mean, if you are not going to play online just go with w/e console exclusives that might interest you. Blu-ray players are dirt cheap atm, wouldn't even consider it that much of a feature imo.

Want to play Halo, Gear of War, Forza etc? 360.

Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted, jrpgs? PS3.

You say that it may not matter now, but you are buying a console for console exclusives. If you only intend to play RDR and FO3, then go with w/e is cheaper tbh. Even the cheapest option isn't worth 2 games IMO.
    Well i might play online but i dont really know anyone that is a console gamer, just kind of a bonus that PS3 online play is free from what ive read compared to 360 where you gotta get the gold pass to do anything basically.

This just came in stock, shame its like the worst 60 dollar model they offer (id rather have the backwards comp version or the 160gb model):
    http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles...urbished/68183

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy both off of craigslist for the price of one of them

Free games aren't useful if you don't play them. Pick out games you want. Both of them are last gen so they go for double digits
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Buy both off of craigslist for the price of one of them

Free games aren't useful if you don't play them. Pick out games you want. Both of them are last gen so they go for double digits
    Like i said craigslist is a major hassle for me, i live an hour from metropolitan area. And to be honest ive looked and gamestop beats craigslist pricing, not even kidding.

10+ Year Old Account
    I somehow completely missed that part. I only mention it because I used to repair and sell them, and now I can't do that anymore because people usually can buy them for like $50 at the most. Buuut I also live in the city so the market is there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I somehow completely missed that part. I only mention it because I used to repair and sell them, and now I can't do that anymore because people usually can buy them for like $50 at the most. Buuut I also live in the city so the market is there.
    Ya its weird, people think their ps3's and 360's are worth more than they are at least in minnesota lol. The deal i linked above is really the best it gets, 5 games and a refurb 250gb 360 for 120 bucks, you really cant do any better on craigslist (maybe 10-20 bucks but lose the option to return plus i gotta drive a ways, so meh).

Just judging from the links you provided the xbox 360 will give you more bang for your buck. I personally like the 360 over the PS3, the UI is better IMO. With the one you linked it comes with the jasper chipset so you dont have to worry about RROD.