Guardian: Relic Choice for Mythic +10 and up

Are people still shouting thrash relics at this level? Or should I be aiming for relics that boost AM/Surv?

Deleted
    trash trash trash

Quote Originally Posted by LuRu9 View Post
    thrash thrash thrash
    Fixed*****

Damage is everything even in high M+. For progression raiding (on single target fights) you might want the 4% armor on ironfur, or the .5s increase on ironfur.

I use x1 ironfur duration and x2 Ironfur effectiveness as my 3 relics.
    Giving it a total of (assuming you've already put 3 points into the traits already) 120% effectiveness and 2 seconds long. Which smoothly works with Guardian of Elune, making your ironfur's 10 seconds. Here's a list i made from looking at the current content's loot tables:

Fire Relics:
    Rocket Chiken Rocket Fuel (Assault On Violet Hold) 4% effect
    Sloshing Core Of Hatred (Emerald Nightmare) 4% effect

Blood Relics:
    Prisoner's Wail (Vault Of The Wardens) 4% Effect
    Monsterous Gluttony (Neltharion's Lair) 4% Effect
    Grisly Schism (Return To Karazhan) 4% Effect
    Fenryr's Bloodstained fang (Halls of valor) 0.5 Time
    Memory Of Betrayal (Return To Karazhan) 0.5 Time

Life Relics:
    Corrupted Knot (Dark heart thicket) 4% Effect
    Bioluminescent Mushroom (Emerald Nightmare) 4% Effect
    Snapped Emerald Pendant (Black Rook Hold) 0.5 Time
    Love's Intermission (Return To karazhan) 0.5 Time
    "Liberated" Un'goro Relic (Broken Isle World Boss - Flotsam) 0.5 Time
    Swell Of The Tides (Trial Of Valor) 0.5 Time
    Last edited by JaxiTV; 2017-01-09 at 09:44 PM.

Deleted
    You make it sound like you can just go out and get whichever relics you want and swap them out whenever you like

I use whatever i happen to have acquired of the highest ilvl. That so happens to be 2xThrash and 1xBarkskin CD reduction

However, should i get any Mangle relics of equal or higher ivl, i would swap out the Thrash ones any day.
    Last edited by mmocb2358cdeee; 2017-01-10 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evory View Post
    You make it sound like you can just go out and get whichever relics you want and swap them out whenever you like

I use whatever i happen to have acquired of the highest ilvl. That so happens to be 2xThrash and 1xBarkskin CD reduction

However, should i get any Mangle relics of equal or higher ivl, i would swap out the Thrash ones any day.
    Thrash is worth about 15-20 ilvls compared to another normal trait. I'd never replace it for a maul crit trait or a 1% stam trait.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    Thrash is worth about 15-20 ilvls compared to another normal trait. I'd never replace it for a maul crit trait or a 1% stam trait.
    Its worth that for DPS, but DPS might not be what you care about, at least going into Nighthold. I'm personally using 2x Thrash and 1xIronfur Duration. Ironfur Duration so that I can hit the 2 stacks of Ironfur threshold without having to get excessive amounts of Haste, then Thrash for DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Evory View Post

I have the exact same relics. Sadly, my thrash relics are 39 and 40... I recently got a 48 1% stamina relic and I was wondering if it's worth to replace the 40 ilvl thrash relic. Idk, I feel weird having such a low level artifact, when even my feral/resto off off offspecs have more...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellshout View Post
    I have the exact same relics. Sadly, my thrash relics are 39 and 40... I recently got a 48 1% stamina relic and I was wondering if it's worth to replace the 40 ilvl thrash relic. Idk, I feel weird having such a low level artifact, when even my feral/resto off off offspecs have more...
    ilevel is just a number. For survivability its absolutely worth it, its a pretty big upgrade (8 ilevels on two items, mainhand and offhand, + 1% stam is a lot of survivability), but for DPS the Thrash relic is just super strong. If you find that you are very rarely getting in to danger and/or regularly able to forget Survival Instincts is even a thing, its a good idea to try and invest in more and more DPS. It allows you to push more M+ and overall become more efficient, which will itself translate into more survivability (via AP and drops) in a much more efficient way than going overboard on survivability.

However, end of the day a tanks primary job is don't die, so its never the "wrong" choice to go for survivability, but do so for the right reasons, not for the epeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    ilevel is just a number. For survivability its absolutely worth it, its a pretty big upgrade (8 ilevels on two items, mainhand and offhand, + 1% stam is a lot of survivability), but for DPS the Thrash relic is just super strong. If you find that you are very rarely getting in to danger and/or regularly able to forget Survival Instincts is even a thing, its a good idea to try and invest in more and more DPS. It allows you to push more M+ and overall become more efficient, which will itself translate into more survivability (via AP and drops) in a much more efficient way than going overboard on survivability.

However, end of the day a tanks primary job is don't die, so its never the "wrong" choice to go for survivability, but do so for the right reasons, not for the epeen.
    Thanks for the response. I'm not thinking of epeen, it's just ridiculous to not upgrade your items because the lower one is better. Blizzard keeps saying "we want to make it so that if you get 10+ ilvls you'll upgrade etc bla bla", so you know, was wondering when do I have to upgrade? )

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshout View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'm not thinking of epeen, it's just ridiculous to not upgrade your items because the lower one is better. Blizzard keeps saying "we want to make it so that if you get 10+ ilvls you'll upgrade etc bla bla", so you know, was wondering when do I have to upgrade? )
    That rule won't really ever apply to relics (unless the ilvl difference is insane) as the plain stat increase is often far worse than a specific trait. Like for defense, an 860 UE is certainly more useful than an 880 mauler relic, despite losing 6 or so ilvl on the weapon. This will only get "worse" in 7.2 when relics improve two traits instead of one, may lead to situations where you equip a *shitty* world quest thrash + mangle damage relic over a mythic raid one lol

Quote Originally Posted by roi View Post
    That rule won't really ever apply to relics (unless the ilvl difference is insane) as the plain stat increase is often far worse than a specific trait. Like for defense, an 860 UE is certainly more useful than an 880 mauler relic, despite losing 6 or so ilvl on the weapon. This will only get "worse" in 7.2 when relics improve two traits instead of one, may lead to situations where you equip a *shitty* world quest thrash + mangle damage relic over a mythic raid one lol
    Yeah the Maul one is a no go, unless its 50 ilvl vs nothing. I have my limits )

I replaced an 880 UE with 890 stamina earlier, eventually might regret it, greed won, but at least I joined the 895 club

Quote Originally Posted by roi View Post
    I replaced an 880 UE with 890 stamina earlier, eventually might regret it, greed won, but at least I joined the 895 club
    If you have more than 11% haste there's no need to slot specifically for UE.
    The general rule is. 11% with tier set without UE.
    6% with tier set, with 1 UE.
    0% haste with tier set with 2 UE.

Minimal haste requirement to make best use of the tier set that is.

Just as an FYI Thrash relics are actually worth 40 ilvls on a relic and if you have Luffa's then they are worth 60 ilvl. This is purely from a DPS standpoint. If you ever have questions please feel free to stop by the druid discord and hop into the guardian channel. Plenty of helpful folks there that will take time to talk you through whatever dilemma you are facing.

Quote Originally Posted by Protozoa7 View Post
    Just as an FYI Thrash relics are actually worth 40 ilvls on a relic and if you have Luffa's then they are worth 60 ilvl. This is purely from a DPS standpoint. If you ever have questions please feel free to stop by the druid discord and hop into the guardian channel. Plenty of helpful folks there that will take time to talk you through whatever dilemma you are facing.
    Take an upvote. Oh wait, not on reddit. Nvm

1) not having existential crisis 2) already on discord 3) no pity fucks required right now!

3x Thrash all the way, gl finding a high level fire relic though, mine is 860 (still my weapon ilvl is 900 cause of the other two being high). It drops from opera boss in Kara (so base ilvl 860 requiring some nice warforging rng), HoV which is one of the worse instance to farm in high mythic+ and Nightbane (again you need to get super lucky cause of the huge variety of drops).

You can easily 3 chest +9 HoV in at least the sanguine weeks (volcanic/overflowing), and there's always a million keys for it since very few people want to boost it. You could try to bring like a bunch of fire mages who can also loot the relic for you, as the trait is kinda bad for them. Ret palas also like HoV for the trinket AND can loot fire relics, however sadly for them the trait is actually good.

HoV is too long to hardcore farm on high mythics (and very dependable on affixes), I can't force my mates to run it with me since it's totally counterproductive for AP farm and unless I really have to, I stay away from pug'ing anything in order to keep my sanity at a decent level. Considering all of the above, having it 860 is ok-ish with me.