A lot of good reasons are --SNIP--. That is, if we want to be honest about it and really answer the OP's question.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-01-11 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    If you are not a rabid fanboy and you take a hard look around you realize there is no real drop in demand for a quality mmo.
    How did the interests moved elsewhere when at least 10 mil people come back to try every expansion hoping and dreaming it might not be as atrociously designed as the previous one that made them and all their friends quit in disgust ?
    The quality of the game is not an issue right? Thats why FF XIV had for a time more active players than Wod. Thats why tons of people go and look for private servers of older expansions.
    Today retail wow is shit and thats the major reason why people are unsubbing faster than worse wod periods.
    No it didn't. It has 6 million accounts created. Not active players. Just like GW2 has around 7 million accounts. Not active players.

It was new and shiny. Now it is just same old same old every expansion. That is why each expansion is great for the first couple of months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    That's your experience, and it's fine, that certainly happened with many others. I had T5 already cleared, and having the first few bosses of the new tier being reletively acessible felt normal as dificulty increased as you progressed further into the dungeon. And this is my point above all. Having a raid or a tier, with a decent amount of bosses, where you start rather easily and dificulty goes inscreasing as you move along has to be considered good game design.
    My argument is not that there shouldn't be easier bosses at the start of a raid, I quite like that also, its more that Kael/vashj were far too difficult for most raid groups and so you had the really rather annoying set up where we were, for months, only raiding the first half of certain raids, then packing up and going somewhere else.

It was actually super annoying.

This is asked I think ever other month since I can remember..my answer is still the same...the major factor was the game being new to you and you being new to it. When everything is new the zones the professions the classes the rotations etc of course that first time will leave an impression.

OP's question more loaded than the baked potato I had for lunch yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    OP's question more loaded than the baked potato I had for lunch yesterday...
    Your potato was carrying a loaded gun? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Your potato was carrying a loaded gun? :O
    Yep, a machine gun firing bacon bits at passersby.

As for what the OP is digging at...having personally fiddled with a vanilla server recently, I still chalk it up mostly to nostalgia. That said, in my brief time playing there, I will say that having lower level mobs/areas that aren't complete faceroll made for a bit of fun. The way heirloom gear works in WoW, combined with the Cata revamp having made a lot of those areas/mobs easier anyway, makes the leveling process so pathetically easy that it practically goads people into paying up for the level boost just to save time.

I'm not advocating for the boost, though; I'd rather see the leveling content of the game have at least some bite to it. I would almost say nerf heirlooms while we are at it, but as a vet who had farmed up every conceivable combo of heirlooms for any spec I would think to play, that would be a kick in the teeth.

Not to start game vs. game debate, but I definitely like how FF14 handles such items way more than how they are done in WoW. For the uninitiated who may be curious: At level 15, players can run the Hall of the Novice, which is 6-7 mini-trials aimed at teaching players bare minimum basics to how to play their role (tank, healer, dps). It gives the player a decent set of gear for that level, but most importantly, it gives a ring with +3 to all stats (which is a pile for an item that is usable at level 1) and +30% xp up to level 30. One can also obtain a helm/circlet which grants another 20% xp (it is basically the way they grant xp boost via Recruit a Friend). So there's a nice boost of xp for a fair while, but the stats on those items (the helm has nothing but the xp bonus) are not even in the ball park with WoW heirlooms.

...Ok, I'll stop there before I get smacked with "game vs. game" by mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And here we see two perfect examples of what happens when some people run out of arguments: they resort to ad-hominem, insulting the intelligence and/or character of people with opposing views.
    you have no argument, you never did

"blizzard didnt stop posting sub numbers because the sub numbers suck"
    thats out in left field and indefensible

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post

Lol you are one to talk with the only one reason sub losses happened rant. Hey but whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night, bud.

Hey, remember 30 fucking pages ago when I asked you to give us a legitimate reason for Blizzard to release subscriber levels? I'm still waiting.

I do. You just constantly ignore it.

Two things: one, you're wrong. Blizzard doesn't have any reason to show us, the consumers, their sub numbers, and any "reason" you make up are nothing but pure speculation. Two, that was never my argument in this thread. Shows how much you don't read the posts of people who disagree with you and just make up stuff and strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Hey, remember 30 fucking pages ago when I asked you to give us a legitimate reason for Blizzard to release subscriber levels? I'm still waiting.
    to show you how well the game is doing....now why would you have to ask that?

Why do they need to do that? Blizzard as a company is doing damn well with all the games they have. All those tasty services in the games that bring in extra money. Sub count doesn't mean nearly as much if someone spends 5 dollars MORE than the sub cost to buy a token to sell in WoW.

The fact that is was new. Exploration was still a thing. Everyone was still learning, everyone was engaging with one another. That sense of community is what I miss most.

But, that's about it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

The only way vanilla WoW will ever be considered better than current in my opinion is that new car smell. Twelve years later, the car doesn't smell fresh anymore no matter how many new coats of paint it gets.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm doing some research and I'd like to hear your opinions guys and gals
    Wrong question. Better would be:
    Do you feel that Classic World of Warcraft was better than current World of Warcraft? (Follow-up) If so, why?

Don't make draw a conclusion before you ask the question, if you're truly wanting to do research. Let the answers guide you.

The game is doing well enough that Blizzard dedicates a great part of their own convention to solely talk about World of Warcraft and Q&A about the game. That tells us the game is still well and good.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2017-01-12 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrm365 View Post
    Wrong question. Better would be:
    Do you feel that Classic World of Warcraft was better than current World of Warcraft? (Follow-up) If so, why?

Don't make draw a conclusion before you ask the question, if you're truly wanting to do research. Let the answers guide you.
    Yeah as if that was their goal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Everything was new and exciting.
    Same reason i was hooked on Guild wars, i was new to the MMORPG genre.

While i think current wow is a much better version of wow than vanilla in terms of QoL and content, 12 years of experience takes away the excitment and the joy of just learning new things.