10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Lol. I love your last sentence, perhaps you should take your own medicine and own up to it being a good game. But no, you need to find excuse after excuse to validate their loss.
    What the hell? I've literally said just that several times:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Bad officiating aside, however, the game was all it was hyped up to be.
    The blown calls ruin what was an extremely exciting game.
    That's a shame. It was a good game, late blown ref calls aside.
    Maybe you should try actually reading next time?

Quote Originally Posted by jregz View Post
    Golden State, wtf was that? Durant also shit the bed in Q4 again:

0/3 FG, 0/2 3P, 5/7 FT, 5 pts, 0 ast, 2 reb, 2 tov
    If you want an example of a Golden State collapse, this was it. Up 24 to lose by 9? Yeah, that was sad. To be fair, the Grizzlies played an amazing game.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Golden State 0-5 vs teams 2-5 in the NBA lol RIP title chances.
    What? No.

Golden State is 1-3 against teams 2-5 in the NBA (Spurs, Cavs, Rockets, Clippers).
    Golden State is 1-5 against teams 2-5 in the West (Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Grizzlies).
    Golden State is 4-5 against teams 2-8 in the NBA (Spurs, Cavs, Rockets, Clippers, Raptors, Celtics, Grizzlies).

They have 12 more games against teams 2-8 and 6 more games against just teams 2-4. Nothing is even remotely over yet.

Of those top three other teams, one loss was a 1 point loss with blown calls, the other was a double-overtime loss. Both suck, but not really disheartening. The Spurs loss at home on opening day was more daunting, but we'll see later if that was more just growing pains as Durant's first regular season game as a new addition to the roster.

What's worrisome are back-to-back away games against the Rockets and then the Spurs on 3/28-29 before playing the Rockets at home again on 3/31. I'll be happy if we win 2 of 3 there.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Derrick Rose no showed the Knicks game tonight. What a bum. Glad he's not with the Bulls anymore. It amazes me how far he's fallen. I don't know why any team would invest in him next year.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you want an example of a Golden State collapse, this was it. Up 24 to lose by 9? Yeah, that was sad. To be fair, the Grizzlies played an amazing game.
    Just because they collapsed even worse on another night, doesn't stop the Cleveland game from also being a collapse. That's like telling a new college grad with no job and six figures in the hole that he's perfectly fine because he lives in the US compared to kids in central Africa who need to be worried about diseases we long since eradicated, or getting forced into child militias.

---

Anyway, this is just funny at this point:

http://heatnation.com/rumors/report-...ble-for-trade/

Fuk.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Derrick Rose no showed the Knicks game tonight. What a bum. Glad he's not with the Bulls anymore. It amazes me how far he's fallen. I don't know why any team would invest in him next year.
    Sounds like a family emergency.
    Last edited by jregz; 2017-01-10 at 06:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like an excuse to me. He could have called on the flight to Chicago. Very suspicious because he got benched in the previous game. In any case, at least he's not the Bulls problem anymore.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    If someone close to you was in trouble, you might not be in the right state of mind either. We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    When my dad died. I called my boss to tell him I wasn't coming to work for a few days. The flight from Ny to Chicago isn't a 10 minute flight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because they collapsed even worse on another night, doesn't stop the Cleveland game from also being a collapse.
    No. The way you're trying to use it, the word "collapse" loses any semblance of meaning. The way you're using it, 90-95% of games contain a "collapse" at some point... for each team.

What you're talking about is just the normal ebb and flow of the game. The Warriors went on a run and went +12 in 5 minutes, then the Cavs went on a run and went +11 in 4 minutes. That's not a collapse. The lead was within 5 for 90% of the game, because it was a good, close game. Those 10 minutes were pretty streaky, because you had players who were tired, with many substitutions going on.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    When my dad died. I called my boss to tell him I wasn't coming to work for a few days. The flight from Ny to Chicago isn't a 10 minute flight.
    I'm not disputing he wasn't professional. His absence, in the event of a family emergency, was going to happen, professional or not. I don't think a lack of judgement during a stressful time in his personal life classifies him as a bum. That said, I'm going to wait and see.

No. The way you're trying to use it, the word "collapse" loses any semblance of meaning. The way you're using it, 90-95% of games contain a "collapse" at some point... for each team.

What you're talking about is just the normal ebb and flow of the game. The Warriors went on a run and went +12 in 5 minutes, then the Cavs went on a run and went +11 in 4 minutes. That's not a collapse. The lead was within 5 for 90% of the game, because it was a good, close game. Those 10 minutes were pretty streaky, because you had players who were tired, with many substitutions going on.
    Games do have point swings throughout but you are greatly overestimating the size and frequency of these point swings. It's not that common for teams to trade back and forth huge runs. When viewed across all the games in a season, the vast majority follow probability based on point differential, time remaining and possession.

The game was close the majority of the time and that's reflected in the win probability graph (1). Once GSW made their run at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th, the win probability graph accurately reflected GSW's position, just as it reflects the increasing odds for the Cavaliers as they made their improbable run. Why improbable? Because the remaining possessions are greatly reduced at that stage, double digit leads have high correlation for victory (3) regardless of where it happens in the game, and it requires continued offensive and defensive failures and/or successes for the winning and losing teams respectively to become a possibility. This is by definition a collapse as it also requires inaction/poor action on the part of the winning team.

Given the conditions of the CLE-GSW game (fourth quarter, 8:17 to go, up 13, possession of the ball), the winning team wins 96.9% of the time (4). For comparison, the conditions of the MEM-GSW game (fourth quarter, 7:53 to go, up 17) the winning team wins 99.4% of the time (2). These are both ugly losses for the Warriors. There's really no way around it.

I don't know if you're getting caught up on semantics (what is or isn't a collapse) or other language-related issues, but statistically speaking, both games were an absolute failure on the Warriors part. The Memphis game was simply worse, which I clearly stated in my previous post.

(1) http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/w...gid=0021600457

(2) http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/w...gid=0021600550

(3) A team heading into the fourth quarter up by at least double digits (10), without possession of the ball, has a win probability of 86.7%. With possession, that rises to 88.6%.

(4) http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/wpCalc.php
    Last edited by jregz; 2017-01-10 at 08:54 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't see how he could be so distraught as to not even be able to send a text to his agent or Jo or someone to tell them to tell the Knicks he was going home. No matter how serious the family emergency is, I'm almost positive he'll be fined by the Knicks for the no show/no call unless he claims he left so fast he didn't have his cell phone or something.

My gut feeling tells me it has to do with his 4th Q benching but we'll see. A lot of his family and friends live in the rough part of town so unfortunately it's easy to see how something could happen like that as well.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Yeah I don't see how he could be so distraught as to not even be able to send a text to his agent or Jo or someone to tell them to tell the Knicks he was going home. No matter how serious the family emergency is, I'm almost positive he'll be fined by the Knicks for the no show/no call unless he claims he left so fast he didn't have his cell phone or something.

My gut feeling tells me it has to do with his 4th Q benching but we'll see. A lot of his family and friends live in the rough part of town so unfortunately it's easy to see how something could happen like that as well.
    I was also thinking it could have something to do with his kid but it is sounding like it's more of a Derrick Rose issue, not a family issue.

---

EDIT: Who do guys think is MVP as we approach the halfway mark of the season?

There are a few ways to do this:

1) If we go with stats

2) If we go with the established pattern of past MVP winners (best player on a top 3 team at minimum)
    1. James Harden
    2. LeBron James
    3. Kevin Durant
    4. Kawhi Leonard
    5. Kyle Lowry

3) If we go with who is "most" valuable in terms of absolute value (where would the team be without)
    1. Russell Westbrook
    2. James Harden
    3. Chris Paul
    4. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    5. LeBron James

4) If we go with who is most valuable in terms of championship contention (are they realistic contenders without?)
    1. LeBron James
    2. James Harden
    3. Chris Paul
    4. One of Kevin Durant/Steph Curry
    5. Kawhi Leonard

How about you guys?
    Last edited by jregz; 2017-01-10 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Lebron should win it, but I also predict that he will not.

jreg don't edit your posts like that. Just make a new reply so your post becomes the new post in the thread again. I completely missed what you said until I realized El Plastico was responding to you.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Steph would win but KD is taking a lot of credit these days.

Honestly I'd only award it to Harden if Houston makes it to 2seed. There's such a disparity between SAS, GSW, and the rest of the West.

I wanna give it to Lebron but they're not gonna wanna give it to him again. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Giannis! Damn man, it feels good to have real players again!
    You just eliminated the Giants from the playoffs. Haven't you already taken enough from me?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    The Bucks should be legit in the years to come. Giannis has been a statistical beast, Jabari Parker's jumper is coming along, and Middleton hasn't even played yet. Crazy talent, athleticism and length.

Westbrook was left for dead on a OKC team that traded away its best players on the team besides him. Not only does he have that team still winning in the tough western conference, hes leading the league in scoring while AVERAGING a triple double. If anyone else gets any MVP consideration than I question that persons understanding of basketball.

Honesty, if Russ ends up averaging a triple double, he should be the second unanimous winner. I don't care if AD averaged 50 a game, would have to give it to Russ. Barring that, y'all know I love Bron and CP3, i'd love for CP to get it but... he's not doing anything special this season. Rebounding is up 1 per game over career, but not highest in his career. Scoring is down 1 pt per game vs his career. He's just shooting more 3s than normal, but not an insane amount by any stretch. He's just having a CP season. And really, with Dame's scoring being up, Russ doing Russ things, Irving behind healthy... CP doesn't even stand out for point guards this season to me. Which means, Harden if they get 3 seed, otherwise Bron again.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Westbrook was left for dead on a OKC team that traded away its best players on the team besides him. Not only does he have that team still winning in the tough western conference, hes leading the league in scoring while AVERAGING a triple double. If anyone else gets any MVP consideration than I question that persons understanding of basketball.
    You don't think Chris Paul or James Harden have any argument?

FWIW, Westbrook should absolutely be in the running for top 3 MVP candidates but I don't think he'll actually win it. Vast majority of MVPs were on teams that placed third at minimum.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...new-3-3-league

3v3 leauge for retired Nba players. I am going to watch this.

Eh, it's only good for big name NBA guys. I'm sure there are some people who played a few years, fell off the face of the earth, and are in better shape.

I wanna see some 2v2s or 3v3s at the All Star game.

You don't think Chris Paul or James Harden have any argument?

FWIW, Westbrook should absolutely be in the running for top 3 MVP candidates but I don't think he'll actually win it. Vast majority of MVPs were on teams that placed third at minimum.
    Right now I really dont. I mean Harden is amazing, Paul to me is playing like he always does. Westbrook is just another level especially given the circumstances. I get what youre saying in terms of MVP history in going to top teams only but I really hope they ignore it and give it to the guy who deserves it the most even if his team isnt a true contender.