10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't trust self driving cars, lol.
    I understand the appeal and all... but software is stupid.

Haha that cloud platform is so useless... Pay by hour and buy your own game.
    Just use PS Now or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Difference between those two is that film and sports are very much static, in sports case assuming not a lot of overtime. Video game however is not and very much up to the individual. Not many want to have a time limit on their head ticking when they're playing a game. It changes the dynamic of "enjoy this game" to "beat this game". Then the technical issues of it with latency and bandwidth. Nvidia already screwed up two times, this is the 3rd attempt.

For an example, say... GTA V at release, so $60 at that point. Lowest quality per hour rental time of $25 for 20 hours. Right up front you spend $85 vs $60. Say it takes you 30 hours or so to beat the game. That's $50 extra right there. At 100 hours you could've gotten a 460/470/1050/1050Ti at that point.
    The only usage I can see it is for travel, but after having been in enough hotels of all qualities, the chances of meeting their requirement (this is assuming their grid/now service) of 20 to 50Mbps download bandwidth at a hotel, is not happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    That limit already exists: once you subtract work, sleep, gym, and basic hygiene time a typical adult doesn't have the kind of free time they did as a college student.

I'm lucky to get 100 hours a year worth of video games. Last year I managed to play:
    • Waracraft—1 character from 100 to 110
    • Undertale
    • Inside
    • A few rounds of Splatoon (while at work)

That seems to be a trend among my peers: even your spare time is earmarked for maintaining social connections—gotta go them cocktail parties—family obligations and whatever other traps getting old has brought.
    Hours is going to depend a lot on the individual. One of my friend works 3 13-14 hour shifts and 4 days off. Nevertheless, this isn't a timer on your own life. This is a game where one of the thing about interactive media is you can take it at your own pace. This part is kind of a different world view thing so it's very reasonable to see it differently.
    Plus, with the shift away from desktop computers the ability to buy a PCIe graphics card doesn't account for much. Notebooks have been more than half the computers sold for a decade and things are looking worse for desktops every year (example). On the other hand, Apple is shipping around 200 million iPhones each year and Android is out-selling Apple at least 4:1. Even if you argue that 2/3 Android phones are shit-tier garbage devices for India and China, that's still near enough to half a billion "pretty good" mobile devices vs ~100 million desktop PCs. People just aren't as interested in the performance a discrete graphics card in a desktop PC can give them and so graphics card sales are down too (example). That trend is no doubt influenced by "dull office boxes" no longer getting crappy discrete GPUs for Excel users, but it really does look like the glory days of "big iron at home" are probably behind us.
    The numbers Nvidia are pulling is 1 billion pc are not game ready and many are without the capability to install a card. It's very broad I realize but that's not me saying it. Just looking at what anandtech's live blog thingy says.
    Phone has nothing to do with Nvidia's marketing and target. Their market place right now is on the desktop/laptop place. You can't lump in everyone that has a phone or laptop to someone that is going to be a Steam user and play games. I noted Steam because that's their interface for playing and purchasing games. The service is meant for people that play games with an emphasis on steam, not just users in general.
    I was in 10 hotels in 10 states in the last month and had connections good enough to stream 1080p60 video (so a minimum of 16mbit/s) in all of them. Heck, I was streaming video from iTunes U on a tiny Learjet 40 going between Las Vegas and Santa Monica while in flight 3 weeks ago.

Bandwidth isn't the killer for this application, it's latency and consistency. When you can have a 3 or 4 minute buffer for your content you can have a pretty good experience even with a connection dropping 1% of the packets and 200ms of jitter. Interactive media can't have those huge windows so you need a connection with low jitter and low latency. Assuming fast dedicated hardware to encode/decode on each end of the connection you can do an amazing amount of 'good enough' video in just 10mbit: certainly enough to be acceptable to people who are comfortable playing games on an Xbox. Whether you can make that feel responsive is another question.

I have no idea what the state of hotel internet is like in Western Europe: I've always just used my cellphone with a disposable SIM card to tether when I'm not staying at my own property or with family. Still, I don't imagine it's universally worse than America.
    Can't really compare the two as you kind of noted it. Again, I'm using Nvidia's number though for their previous iteration of Nvgrid/now which is 20Mb/s for 1280x720@60 or 50Mb/s for 1920x1080@60. Also resolution and refresh rate are not indicative of video/audio bitrate and bandwidth requirement as those are not mutually inclusive. It's very bad to use it as a way to estimate bandwidth overall as it is never going to be consistent. Ones I've been to, typically at 4-5Mb/s, a few outliers at 20Mb/s iirc then again this is off the top of my head speedtest thing that I can think of that wasn't in Asia. Taiwan / Japan's internet are nice... at least compared to the US. Granted I haven't really traveled around the US that often the past few years, so brain may be outdated. Most of my travels these days are to Taiwan.
    And yes you are right latency is a huge thing. Something that is in no way control of the user due to server location and ISP. It isn't really a strong suit for people that don't live near the server location or have garbage internet.

I won't deny there's a niche for it especially for travel, I personally actually use game streaming type service via PS4 to PS Vita. It's pretty reliable through internet though LAN is uhh... worse, somehow... yeah I don't get it either. However it has nothing to do with phone and the only mobile platform they have are laptops. However unlike the PS4 remote play, this requires an additional fee along with your own game purchase and it doesn't have the capability to be remote played onto the phone (if you have a Sony phone or if you decided to get all hacky).
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-06 at 05:36 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got a credit line increase on my Best Buy Citi bank credit card and threw caution and control to the wind and got the legendary Canon 50mm L USM f1.2 lens.

TIME. FOR. PORTRAITURE.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    So honestly, you should try and free lance at the very least, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people paid me last year and I already have 2 shoots scheduled that are paying me, this month, and then another who is just trying to figure out where she wants to do it and what look exactly she desires...

1 of the shoots is for business professional pictures as well as some sexy lingerie, possibly nude photography. ;o

The other is a friend and her fiancee for some engagement photos, and she's actually also pregnant right now, so some baby photos potentially in the spring!

- - - Updated - - -

It needs to snow again though, I want some nice snowtography.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap.

"A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Sony joined Panasonic and now offers an OLED TV using an LG panel as well...

Disappointing. When are we getting any real competition with different manufacturers approaching problems in different ways? LCD is probably going to be able to catch-up if they continue this slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    *cough* CLED *cough*
    Did Panasonic demo their new LCD or not? I'm being lazy atm. Aka I didn't pay attention to CES all that much actually. Oddly...
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-09 at 06:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    *cough* CLED *cough*
    Did Panasonic demo their new LCD or not? I'm being lazy atm. Aka I didn't pay attention to CES all that much actually. Oddly...
    Just new OLED TVs I think. They were trolling us, I knew it was too good to be true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Just new OLED TVs I think. They were trolling us, I knew it was too good to be true.
    I am sad face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was also trolled... New card apparently was a rare breed of defective ones that literally*crash when you install*any AMD display driver whatsoever. It worked fine for a week bt decided to give me trouble yesterday, and after reinstalling Windows 10 times today trying to fix it I found a thread in AMD telling that there's no fix and the recommended action is give it back if you still have warranty.

Went to the store today, they'll test it and call me tomorrow. Such misfortune.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-01-10 at 06:44 PM.

While I'm not particularly a fan of them as a company, wow.
    Not cool.
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/232...-25-000-dollar
    At least they're innovating

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Holy crap.

I mean, I know that PSUs are one thing not to skimp out on while building a PC, but I'm still confused about what's so noteworthy about this one to warrant that price...

(Side note: Holy hell has Linus's channel gone bonkers with uploads.)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While I'm not particularly a fan of them as a company, wow.
    Not cool.
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/232...-25-000-dollar
    At least they're innovating
    I read about that theft. I can't fathom how anyone thought that was either a good idea or worth the risk.

As an idea, I'm not onboard with the idea of a triple monitor laptop. It seems like it would too big, heavy, and power hungry as a portable device. Besides, angling my head down at the screens is uncomfortable for extended periods. Granted, I don' travel often, so I can use my desktop and not have to compromise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Happens every CES.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Happens every CES.
    Well he has a lot of employees that many youtube channels don't, I hope he can put a lot of videos.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    And those thumbnails -.-

For the triple monitor laptop, I don't see the point -- for me. I can think of scenarios where some would like it, but I don't have a carreer that puts me about much. So I don't really value laptops at all anymore. For me, they are an awkward middle-ground between having a usable computer (desktop or media center) and a portable throw-around media consumption device (tablet or phablet). But then again, others swear by them so eh.

As for the three monitor part of it, I don't see why not. If you are already using a gaming notebook, chances are you are going to have a behemoth anyway.
    In the Christmas-New Years downtime period sale, I finally bought my first secondary monitor, so I'm still getting used to having two. : P
    But it's nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. (viewing distance is the issue atm)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's made in Japan, is really the only distinct thing about it. As opposed to Taiwan or China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hey, Taiwan operator finally pushed Nougat.

And yeah, the multi window whatever is smaaall, and in turn useless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    And those thumbnails -.-

For the triple monitor laptop, I don't see the point -- for me. I can think of scenarios where some would like it, but I don't have a carreer that puts me about much. So I don't really value laptops at all anymore. For me, they are an awkward middle-ground between having a usable computer (desktop or media center) and a portable throw-around media consumption device (tablet or phablet). But then again, others swear by them so eh.

As for the three monitor part of it, I don't see why not. If you are already using a gaming notebook, chances are you are going to have a behemoth anyway.
    In the Christmas-New Years downtime period sale, I finally bought my first secondary monitor, so I'm still getting used to having two. : P
    But it's nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. (viewing distance is the issue atm)
    Well now that we are still talking about it....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how the FIRST FUCKING COMMENT mentions Trump.

GAHHHHHHHHHH

- - - Updated - - -

Hey @Xuvial, I was watching a thing on NOVA last night about New Zealand, I want to come take pictures. Will you take me in to lower my cost of visiting? XD

The fucking plane tickets are like $1,000+ USD for a round trip! O_O Which my dad said he was impressed by, expected much more expensive.
    "A flower.