10+ Year Old Account

Pound sterling hits a new 31-year low against the dollar

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7521916.html

The pound has tumbled to a new 31-year low against the dollar with the US currency boosted ahead of President-elect Donald Trump's press conference.

Mr Trump gave his first formal media briefing since winning the US election on Wednesday, with investors eager to get more details on his policy framework.

Jane Foley, head of currency strategy at Rabobank, said that the dollar is rising because the “market is hoping for a bit more meat on the bones” in relation to Mr Trump’s financial policies.

Sterling dropped as low as $1.2039 before rebounding slightly to just above $1.21 by the time the London market closed.

This is a more than three-decade low for the currency, excluding the flash crash on October 7 that sent the pound plunging more than 6 per cent to $1.18.

Benjamin Mandel, a strategist at JP Morgan Asset Management, said on Wednesday that “Trumponomics is likely to prop up growth and reduce recession risk” which in turn will “act as a near-term positive for the US economy”.

Ms Foley also said that in parallel to the dollar move, the pound is coming under consistent pressure as result of the lingering uncertainty around Brexit.

In her New Year TV interview on Sunday, Prime Minister Theresa May said Britain will not attempt to cling on to “bits of EU membership”.

Fears among currency traders and investors that the UK is heading for a hard Brexit – in which access to Europe’s single market would be sacrificed in favour of tighter controls over immigration – have tended to weaken the pound while suggestions that the UK could retain access to the EU single market have helped it to recover.

The pound is likely to drop around 5 per cent to $1.15 against the dollar after Ms May triggers Article 50 in March, starting the two-year countdown to leaving the EU, according to a Reuters poll of more than 60 foreign exchange strategists.

FUD, fear uncertainty, doubt. I would bet on Britain if I had the money.

The EU will leave Britain in the economic zone, I'm thinking.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I never encounter fellow Brits that really care about this

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    FUD, fear uncertainty, doubt. I would bet on Britain if I had the money.

The EU will leave Britain in the economic zone, I'm thinking.
    What ? Brexit is when Britain wants to run from that zone, so how should EU keep them from running ? .

10+ Year Old Account
    the pound sterling is not a useful commodity to trade in compared to the greenback, so being at a 31 year low is neither here nor there.
    Hi

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the pound sterling is not a useful commodity to trade in compared to the greenback, so being at a 31 year low is neither here nor there.
    But UK relies on imports and exports. Euro this, Dollar that: exchange rates matter.