Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The US Army Wants Biodegradable Bullets That Sprout Plants

http://www.seeker.com/the-us-army-wa...188620267.html

Not only are bullets a physical hazard, but they're an environmental hazard, too. At US Army training facilities around the world, hundreds of thousands of spent shells litter proving grounds. Because there is no efficient way to clean up the shells, they're left where they fall.

But that's a problem. The shells, which contain metal and other chemicals, can rust and pollute soils and groundwater.

The DoD wants to do something about it, though. They're soliciting proposals for biodegradable bullets "loaded with specialized seeds to grow environmentally beneficial plants that eliminate ammunition debris and contaminants."

Such materials best suited for these bullets could include the same biodegradable plastics used to make water bottles or plastic containers. Or it could be some other material altogether.

According to the request for proposal, the US Army Corps of Engineers' Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory has already developed and tested seeds that can be embedded into a biodegradable composite. They've been bioengineered to germinate only after they've been in the ground for several months.

Proposals are being solicited until February 8, after which time, the chosen contractors will produce the biodegradable bullets as part of a three-phase process. In phase one, the contractor will focus on making 40 mm to 120 mm training rounds. "Bullets" might be a bit of an understatement here. Even the smaller 40 mm rounds, which are essentially grenades, are pretty hefty (see image below).

he 120 mm rounds are even bigger; they're used in tanks.

Phase II includes developing a prototype and the means to manufacture it and phase III has the biodegradable round transitioning to use at the Army training facilities.

The plants that grow from the seeds could also help remove soil contaminants or feed local wildlife. According to the proposal, "Animals should be able to consume the plants without any ill effects."

In other words, these bullets won't kill.

Deleted
    A funny thought.

Bullets that won't kill? Bad rounds. TANK shells that are plastic and won't blow up due to the amount of propellant necessary? Impressive and I'm waiting for that!

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess asking the US to stop sticking their fat nose everywhere is to much to ask?
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The subtitle had a pretty important piece of information that turns this form 'silly' to 'not so silly':
    The Department of Defense is soliciting proposals for training rounds that won't pollute.
    Training rounds. They're not asking for ammo that lets them grow plants in the Middle East. Basically, they're saying that our training rounds are fucking up our groundwater and they want a way to train without screwing ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ah well, training rounds.

Gives new meaning to "Ima plant one in yo ass"
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    This is such a stupid idea. Just like any other "green" product, they wil work half as good as traditional lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This is such a stupid idea. Just like any other "green" product, they wil work half as good as traditional lead bullets
    Commenting without reading again I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    For training. They're not proposing that we seriously go lob seeds at our enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

When i read title, i imagined bullets that plant seeds sprouting in corpses of your enemies...

There is no way in hell a army training base has spent shells lying around. I had to spend days finding and picking up used blanks.

That being said for training I would of loved to have bio bullets.

The beginning of Flower Warfare
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    "It not just they shot me into my knee, one week later a daisy grew out of it!"

Um, I don't believe they're proposing the actual bullets be made of plastic. Just the shells.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

10+ Year Old Account
    "Not only are bullets a physical hazard, but they're an environmental hazard, too. At US Army training facilities around the world, hundreds of thousands of spent shells litter proving grounds. Because there is no efficient way to clean up the shells, they're left where they fall."

Not sure of metallurgy, but wouldn't a magnet pick them up pretty easily? And from there, can't they be melted down and recycled?

I might be way off though, not sure.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    Um, I don't believe they're proposing the actual bullets be made of plastic. Just the shells.
    Housing little explosives in a plastic shell, I wouldn't want to fire any of that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    "Not only are bullets a physical hazard, but they're an environmental hazard, too. At US Army training facilities around the world, hundreds of thousands of spent shells litter proving grounds. Because there is no efficient way to clean up the shells, they're left where they fall."

Not sure of metallurgy, but wouldn't a magnet pick them up pretty easily? And from there, can't they be melted down and recycled?

I might be way off though, not sure.
    brass & copper arent very magnetic.

They can't pick up shells with a magnet?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they are for practice why not sabot the rounds and practice with a smaller projectile? Sabots can be made from biodegradable material.