Deleted

is there water available in FF XIV?

as the title asks, is there water available in FF XIV similar to wow?
    sometimes i find myself running low on mana in instances (mainly when tanks decide to pull god knows how many mobs) & i was wondering if vendors sell water so i can drink after a few heavy pulls?

Not water, but Ether. Though TBH it's not going to help much. My advice? Ask the tank to slow down. If he doesn't, fuck it. Let him die, and then tell him to slow down. If they kick you cos you're 'bad', their problem, not yours. Otherwise they'll learn to adjust.

Deleted
    cheers for that, mate.
    i had a tank pull shedloads in ARF 20 minutes ago & then started to pull more when i was pretty much out of mana, so i left.
    i couldnt see the point in trying to heal, as i had no mana to heal with.
    plenty of things to do while i waited for the 30 minute CD.
    like post here

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    cheers for that, mate.
    i had a tank pull shedloads in ARF 20 minutes ago & then started to pull more when i was pretty much out of mana, so i left.
    i couldnt see the point in trying to heal, as i had no mana to heal with.
    plenty of things to do while i waited for the 30 minute CD.
    like post here
    Yeah some tanks are ignorant but I do understand them wanting to pull a load. Especially if there are 2 SMNs and a Scholar or any other AOE heavy classes. Trash just melts when you have the perfect AOE composition in dungeons. But don't be afraid to ask them to pull a bit less.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-12 at 07:21 PM.

Just playing devils advocate.

Max Ether to bail you out of a really tight spot, but like stated, it's not really that useful.

Also Aetherflow on CD (sch), Shroud of Saints as needed (whm), I'm sure AST has something too.

Use low mana impact heals unless necessary. Physic, Cure1, Regen, Benefic1. "Necessary" is even relative. I will allow the tank to drop below 1/4 while I'm dotting mobs up, and I'll still heal them back with just regular old physic. Of course while farming dr-ex, I trust my gear and (most) tanks gear enough to pull that off.

Use your procs. If you are a whm and proc a free cure2, then let the tank fall below half. Use your free cure2 to max effect, even if regular cure doesn't take much mana.

Sometimes the gear difference is such that there is no chance of saving mana (or the tank is a lot less geared than they seem to think they are). This is even more likely if you are farming ARF for healing gear (tomes), which I assume you are, since that (or first time completion) is the only reason to be in that hellhole.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've run out of mana though (without slacking off and not paying attention). Not trying to show off or put you down. Just playing devil's advocate. Are you sure you did all you could?

I main a healer, so all I can do is try to help you. Can't speak to the incompetance of the tank. If it seems like I'm going after you: Just trying to help
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2017-01-12 at 07:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Just playing devils advocate.

Max Ether to bail you out of a really tight spot, but like stated, it's not really that useful.

Also Aetherflow on CD (sch), Shroud of Saints as needed (whm), I'm sure AST has something too.

Use low mana impact heals unless necessary. Physic, Cure1, Regen, Benefic1. "Necessary" is even relative. I will allow the tank to drop below 1/4 while I'm dotting mobs up, and I'll still heal them back with just regular old physic. Of course while farming dr-ex, I trust my gear and (most) tanks gear enough to pull that off.

Sometimes the gear difference is such that there is no chance of saving mana (or the tank is a lot less geared than they seem to think they are). This is even more likely if you are farming ARF for healing gear (tomes), which I assume you are, since that (or first time completion) is the only reason to be in that hellhole.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've run out of mana though (without slacking off and not paying attention). Not trying to show off or put you down. Just playing devil's advocate. Are you sure you did all you could?

I main a healer, so all I can do is try to help you. Can't speak to the incompetance of the tank. If it seems like I'm going after you: Just trying to help
    thats cool mate, im not taking it as criticism.
    im just finishing off the storyline quests as ive not long hit 60. ilvl is 144, should i do other instances 1st, before stepping into ARF?
    i know i have to get thaumaturge to lvl 26 for swiftcast, but i was going to do that after i had finished the storyline.
    not long started playing FF & there is still so much i need to do, but not in any kind of rush.
    i play a WHM if that helps?
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2017-01-12 at 07:47 PM.

Nah. You're doing right at your level. ARF is tricky. It gives the most (farmable) tomes of anything... but that makes it highly likely that both you and the tank (and the dps) are moderately geared. Just keep an eye out. If the tanks taking a lot of damage and things are slow dying, you need to be super careful with how you approach things.

Unfortunately the gear discrepancy is such that you have to farm ARF for a little bit when you first get there before you can really move on.

Fortunately gear has progressed so much since when ARF was current that each item you buy will be a massive upgrade, so you won't be there too long.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    thats cool mate, im not taking it as criticism.
    im just finishing off the storyline quests as ive not long hit 60. ilvl is 144, should i do other instances 1st, before stepping into ARF?
    i know i have to get thaumaturge to lvl 26 for swiftcast, but i was going to do that after i had finished the storyline.
    not long started playing FF & there is still so much i need to do, but not in any kind of rush.
    i play a WHM if that helps?
    Get yourself into void ark as soon as your ilvl permits it, it'll drop ~200 gear for you which you can use to start getting into alexander and higher level duties.
    Should also spam Palace of the Dead for a decent weapon once you clear floor 50 and get your weapon/armor to +30.

The best thing you can do is keep the tank at 60-70% unless they are trying to pull everything. This has become common right now at points like the final area of great gubal hard mode where ADD tanks will PULL.GODDAMN.EVERYTHING. and unless you are raid geared you are not healing that if you arent experienced. Either the tank gets the message or its a bust thats not on you.

Deleted
    thanks for all the messages guys
    edit - i thought i would give it another bash tonight & completed it with a really good group & mana wasnt a problem this time. amazing cut scene at the end, but they always are ive noticed.
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2017-01-13 at 11:46 PM.

There is no "food to regen" system that you're used to from WoW where you can Eat(HP)/Drink(MP) to restore quickly.

FFXIV deals with this by granting players generous Out of Combat regen rates at low levels. At higher levels healers will get access to spells which increase their mana regen. This is sometimes referred to as a "Refresh" effect, such as WHM ability Shroud of Saints.

If you're playing content at the lower levels you simply don't have the tools to deal with an obnoxious amount of damage coming in and once your OOM, you're pretty much OOM unless you have a supply of Ether on hand. Try asking the tank nicely for 3-7 seconds every other pull. I think that as long as you position your request positively ("Hey, I love the pace but I don't have my regen spells yet. Can I get 10s or so?") it should go over fine.

If you're at high levels you'll start seeing bigger and bigger pulls in dungeons. This works if the tanks are using their cooldowns appropriately and your risk of going OOM is pretty minimal since you'll have your MP regen tools.

In any case, try talking to your group. I think you'll find them pretty reasonable as the community here tends to be pretty chill.
    I enjoy a variety of games, but prefer those that have a core system of progression. If you found my comment helpful, let me know! If you believe I can improve my style of communication, let me know!
    WoW: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rimes/advanced - WCLogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...est#bracket=-1 - FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...cter/11002859/

MP management for WHM includes Shroud of Saints and Assize. The former is good as a threat dump also in the event you attract some unwanted attention from mobs, but it's primary use is to regen some mp while in combat. Assize restores 10% of your MP when used, although I would suggest it being used as an aoe dps spell moreso than to simply restore mp. Since it is a fairly large aoe radius, be mindful of other nearby mobs that you may or may not want to pull.