Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Norwegian mass murderer says prison isolation 'damaged' him.

Let me first start off by saying the prison system here in the US is a wreck. It really serves zero purpose beyond housing those who have broke the law.

The following article however does shed some light on going from one extreme to the other.

Source Article

Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik told a panel of judges Thursday that his solitary confinement in prison had deeply damaged him and made him even more radical in his neo-Nazi beliefs.

Dressed in a black suit, the right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a 2011 bomb attack and shooting spoke coherently and without emotion as he addressed the panel considering if his isolation is inhumane.

"I have been damaged by the isolation ... (and) radicalization has been a consequence of it," a stone-faced Breivik said. "I have not been a little hurt, I have been very damaged."
    Sejersted said Breivik lives in conditions that are better than the ones for many other inmates. In compensation for his solitary confinement, he has a three-cell complex where he plays video games, watches TV and exercises. Breivik also is served coffee and newspapers in the morning.
    I'm all for rehabilitation, except in the most egregious cases (and he certainly counts as one), but reading the red part just makes me shake my head.

On one extreme you have the US Prison System, then on the polar opposite spectrum, a mass murderer (who I believe can never be rehabilitated) lives in what amounts to a private apartment hes just not allowed to leave.

You are welcome to hop on Google for other images for what his "living conditions" are like. He literally lives better than most homeless people is my guess.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-01-12 at 07:07 PM.

Should be happy to be in Norway, he could have gotten hanged or spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement with just a bed and 4 walls.

Isolation is torture which Norway ofcourse would do anything to not engage in.

They should just run him over with a truck and call it an accident.

Every time this guy gets in the news it's torture for the families of the children he murdered.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Would it kill you guys to be consistant?

None of you pretend to be this outraged with terror suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Would it kill you guys to be consistant?

None of you pretend to be this outraged with terror suspects.
    Could put him into a brazen bull for all I care I would gladly light the fire under it, it have always been my opinion since I was a kid that we should kill all people who commits random acts of violence or murder in general there is no reason to keep people like that taking up space on this planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish this guy (and all mass murderers/terrorists really" would stop making it into the news, when they're obviously just after attention.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    I wish this guy (and all mass murderers/terrorists really" would stop making it into the news, when they're obviously just after attention.
    This. We shouldn't forget their actions but we need to forget the people and not give them headlines.

My problem is and of course it is a personal opinion, there is in fact a certain threshold where someone can't be rehabilitated.

Its not a happy thought to have, but that is the reality of the world we live in.

Can anyone in Norway say they think this guy can be "fixed" and re-integrated into society as a free man? Would you volunteer to be his neighbor should the state declare him rehabilitated?

7+ Year Old Account
    Do prisoners have internet access? They should all be working as mechanical turks for free that way they can contribute to society.

I like how he claims it has radicalized him, like he wasn't before when he killed a bunch of people lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    My problem is and of course it is a personal opinion, there is in fact a certain threshold where someone can't be rehabilitated.

Its not a happy thought to have, but that is the reality of the world we live in.

Can anyone in Norway say they think this guy can be "fixed" and re-integrated into society as a free man? Would you volunteer to be his neighbor should the state declare him rehabilitated?

Yeah I agree, until we develop the technology to alter brain chemistry and patterns there is a certain point where someone cant be rehabilitated .

Let me first start off by saying the prison system here in the US is a wreck. It really serves zero purpose beyond housing those who have broke the law.
    Not true, it's a deterrence not to break the law, yes yes we know this deterrence doesn't work for some people but to say it doesn't work is down right crazy.

No, i don't think he can be fixed, but i am not willing to give up our successful system over just him.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Yeah I agree, until we develop the technology to alter brain chemistry and patterns there is a certain point where someone cant be rehabilitated .
    We do have that technology though...

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    We do have that technology though...
    But you are not entitled to use it unless he volunteers.

Why is he given attention?? You don't get more "radicalized" than his state when he commited the crimes. He should be put in PROPER isolation. 1 small room without windows for the rest of his miserable life.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Do prisoners have internet access? They should all be working as mechanical turks for free that way they can contribute to society.
    Yeah, our prisons in Norway do have internet access. Heck, inmates are even given Playstations, Xbox or whatever. They believe in rehabilitation in this country instead of just locking everyone up in a shitty cell, and honestly, it seems to be working. Now, if they deserve it, that's a whole different question, I personally don't think so but if it helps, why not. The craziest part is that Breivik can actually one day walk the streets of Oslo again as a free man should they no longer see him as a threat to humanity.

But I highly doubt that is gonna happen.

Isolation is overrated.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    AFAIK he is barred from internet access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Norwegian Government should just ship his ass to a US Prison. A worthy use of our tax dollars IMO.