Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Who's the real dummy - Trump or the people who actually made it so that he got into office?

You don't poop in your own bed and proceed to mock everyone for having dirty beds.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Pretty much. Pretty much every good idea from marriage equality to the universal right to vote to landing on the moon to smartphones have come from liberal thinkers. It's a mindset thing.

Conservatism by its very nature driven by fear and ignorance.
    Right, ...... I suspect this is not going to be a particularly productive conversation when you claim credit for technical inventions and not political ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
    I am unsure how this person managed to win an election, but what worries me most is every opportunity he has had, he says he is staying as president for 8 years, as if it is guaranteed he will win the second term's elections.

Here is an example of what a transcript of one of his discussions with the press sounds like. Most of it makes no sense. Most of it is gloating. I'd love to see a news network do an interview to several psychiatrists to analyze transcripts of his press conferences and press interviews.

This is what Vox says: "His simple message — "the Iran deal is bad for the United States" — was interrupted by musings on his uncle’s education, his own education, the power of nuclear energy, prisoners, the intelligence of women, and the negotiating prowess of Iranians. Slate even called on the public to help diagram it."

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ain?yptr=yahoo

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_v..._carolina.html
    If you're still unsure how Trump won, he will just get re-elected in 2020. So, you should prepare for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    If you're still unsure how Trump won, he will just get re-elected in 2020. So, you should prepare for that.
    As if 4 years wasn't scary enough. 8 years ... I am not even sure we will be on the map in the next 4, considering his volatile attitude. Enraging China, NK, and Iran before Jan 20 isn't exactly a good augur for what's to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Right, ...... I suspect this is not going to be a particularly productive conversation when you claim credit for technical inventions and not political ideas.
    Probably not. I know I'm massively generalizing but I feel very confident saying that just about every good idea in the last half of the 20th and all of the 21st centuries has come from a certain kind of mindset. All the social progress, life-effecting tech breakthroughs, the World Wide Web, viable electric cars, medical breakthroughs, agricultural science, smartphones... They don't come from brains afraid of science, patriotically proud of ignorance or blinded by religion.

All conservatism has given the America in the last 20 years is war, debt, two buffoon presidents, deadlocked congress, badly managed private prisons ruled by gangs and overstuffed with minorities and a middle class eviscerated by wealth redistribution. Neoliberalism is pretty cancerous whichever side of politics is running the show, but behind the bluster that's been the problem. Every president since (and including) Clinton regardless of their stripes has been a corporatist neoliberal. Including Trump.
    Last edited by Klingers; 2017-01-13 at 02:48 AM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not. I know I'm massively generalizing but I feel very confident saying that just about every good idea in the last half of the 20th and all of the 21st has come from a certain kind of mindset. All the social progress, life-effecting tech breakthroughs, the World Wide Web, viable electric cars, medical breakthroughs, agricultural science, smartphones... They don't come from brains afraid of science, patriotically proud of ignorance or blinded by religion.
    Too much truth in one post <3
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    Probably not. I know I'm massively generalizing but I feel very confident saying that just about every good idea in the last half of the 20th and all of the 21st has come from a certain kind of mindset. All the social progress, life-effecting tech breakthroughs, the World Wide Web, viable electric cars, medical breakthroughs, agricultural science, smartphones... They don't come from brains afraid of science, patriotically proud of ignorance or blinded by religion.

All conservatism has given the America in the last 20 years is war, debt, two buffoon presidents, deadlocked congress, badly managed private prisons ruled by gangs and overstuffed with minorities and a middle class eviscerated by wealth redistribution. Neoliberalism is pretty cancerous whichever side of politics is running the show, but behind the bluster that's been the problem. Every president since (and including) Clinton regardless of their stripes has been a corporatist neoliberal. Including Trump.
    While i wholeheartedly agree with your statements ; You do realize that in case of <generic politically blinded person>, you have to sling politicals terms like they mean something and forgoe the whole "Reasoning" part, in favor of "Gerd Derm <opposite Political faction>"? :P

- - - Updated - - -

How is taking credit for difference of opinion, a good thing, when your opinion is based on ignorance and fear? it's literally taking pride in the shitpostingfest that all the politically blinded sheep do.

How exactly do we deliberate what is and is not a bad idea?
    This depends a lot on the idea and the context; you can't have one size fits all guidelines for evaluating ideas or else you end up with the asinine way that many people right now evaluate ideas, which is 'my side good, other side bad.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't sound so disappointed. You've been incapable of anything even close to resembling productive conversation for over a year now, so it wouldn't have happened either way.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Probably not. I know I'm massively generalizing but I feel very confident saying that just about every good idea in the last half of the 20th and all of the 21st centuries has come from a certain kind of mindset. All the social progress, life-effecting tech breakthroughs, the World Wide Web, viable electric cars, medical breakthroughs, agricultural science, smartphones... They don't come from brains afraid of science, patriotically proud of ignorance or blinded by religion.

So why have democracy? We know exactly the absolutely correct thing to do? Why not a dictator who can enact these self-evidently perfect policies?

If it is as you say, why allow the forces of Darkness to even win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This depends a lot on the idea and the context; you can't have one size fits all guidelines for evaluating ideas or else you end up with the asinine way that many people right now evaluate ideas, which is 'my side good, other side bad.'
    @Klingers seems to believe to have hit on the last and final political revelations. So I take it you disagree with him or her?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    How is taking credit for difference of opinion, a good thing, when your opinion is based on ignorance and fear? it's literally taking pride in the shitpostingfest that all the politically blinded sheep do.
    And how do we deduce what ones opinion is based on? Do you possess some sort of paranormal sight? A power to read souls and minds? How did you come upon this power?

I mistake you sir, I thought you were just someone who had trouble with the English language and reading, turns out your a psychic.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

@Klingers seems to believe to have hit on the last and final political revelations. So I take it you disagree with him or her?
    Klingers provided explicit examples and explicit reasons why he thought they were bad ideas. Which is basically doing what I said, i.e. ideas should be evaluated on their individual merits.

So you aren't really asking me if I agree with him so much as you're asking me if I agree with your characterization. Which is besides the point; the point being that your question of how we differentiate is a bad question by virtue of being so general as to be unanswerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Klingers provided explicit examples and explicit reasons why he thought they were bad ideas. Which is basically doing what I said, i.e. ideas should be evaluated on their individual merits.

So you aren't really asking me if I agree with him so much as you're asking me if I agree with your characterization. Which is besides the point; the point being that your question of how we differentiate is a bad question by virtue of being so general as to be unanswerable.
    Well it seems Klingers has the view that those of different views are just fearful or ignorant. Seems that there is little room for what could pass for constructive dialog on issues.

If your angle is "I am always right," why talk about anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it seems Klingers has the view that those of different views are just fearful or ignorant. Seems that there is little room for what could pass for constructive dialog on issues.

If your angle is "I am always right," why talk about anything?
    I'm going to be fairly nihilistic here, but I think every conservative act in American politics since George W Bush took office is proof that there is, bluntly, nothing constructive that can be said to people who cling to a certain kind of worldview.

There is no functional compromise. I'm plagiarising this line, but conservatives keep dragging the country further to the right and asking liberals to meet them in the middle.

Let's look at something controversial like Obamacare. Obamacare has failed a lot of people by making healthcare unaffordable. Why? Because its very DNA was corrupted from the start because Obama had to work around vested conservative interests and Republican idiocy. He had to deliver a flawed comromise because he couldn't just burn the whole pre-existing mess to the ground and slap in a proper universal healthcare system like basically every single other functional industrialised democracy in the entire world has. That was the result of compromise with conservatives. They railroad and filibuster and sabotage until they know they can cripple something that would deliver real public good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    By logic and reasoning many women look for high-status males and tolerate a lot for a chance to access them (through marriage or otherwise). And they feel happy when they can get one. Evolution selection pressure was always in that direction, just criteria for "high-status" changes.

And you're trying to shame them into "it's horrible! you should feel horrible that you're allowing them to do this!", despite noone really feeling horrible outside of societal pressures.

Well, he happened to be more liked then Clinton, and that is all that mattered in this election.

And his cabinet choices are refreshingly pro-fact and a lot less feel-good types.
    As a women who has been sexually assaulted twice in her life... It is horrible and seeing Trump throw around that he likes to sexually assault women by using his position of power while people defend it just makes it even more horrible.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be fairly nihilistic here, but I think every conservative act in American politics since George W Bush took office is proof that there is, bluntly, nothing constructive that can be said people who cling to a certain kind of worldview.

There is no functional compromise. I'm plagiarising this line, but conservatives keep dragging the country further to the right and asking liberals to meet them in the middle.

Let's look at something controversial like Obamacare. Obamacare has failed a lot of people by making healthcare unaffordable. Why? Because its very DNA was corrupted from the start because Obama had to work around vested conservative interests and Republican idiocy. He had to deliver a flawed comromise because he couldn't just burn the whole pre-existing mess to the ground and slap in a proper universal healthcare system like basically every single other functional industrialised democracy in the entire world has. That was the result of compromise with conservatives. They railroad and filibuster and sabotage until they know they can cripple something that would deliver real public good.
    There you have it, there is not compromising with THAT worldview?

What worldview can you compromise with?

10+ Year Old Account
    There you have it, there is not compromising with THAT worldview?

What worldview can you compromise with?
    People not operating on fear or spirituality as a primary driver to the exclusion of all else. People who are capable of growth, understanding and change when presented with new information. People who exercise critical thinking when making decisions and contextual awareness when presented with information. People willing to do their own research to back up arguments without cherry-picking from a small subset of conservative news sources. People posessing enough basic empathy and morals to not throw whole segments of a community under the bus for the sake of their own vested interests.

As you can see, that's quite a lot of categories of people you can have a good dialogue with. If certain political leanings don't fit into a single one of those, well...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Would it be wrong to hope that he strokes out soon after inauguration? Pence, while crazy, is still Presidentially crazy.
    So you are basically hoping your new president dies? Did Obama ever get this much hate?

7+ Year Old Account
    People not operating on fear or spirituality as a primary driver to the exclusion of all else. People who are capable of growth, understanding and change when presented with new information. People who exercise critical thinking when making decisions and contextual awareness when presented with information. People willing to do their own research to back up arguments without cherry-picking from a small subset of conservative news sources. People posessing enough basic empathy and morals to not throw whole segments of a community under the bus for the sake of their own vested interests.

As you can see, that's quite a lot of categories of people you can have a good dialogue with. If certain political leanings don't fit into a single one of those, well...
    How do you divine peoples operating reasoning? How do you discern these traits in people? I am curious how you can actually have such an ability to tell?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    So you are basically hoping your new president dies? Did Obama ever get this much hate?
    Generally yes he did.

Though I am not immediately recalling if Anti-Obama people became as violent as Anti-Trump people are becoming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Oh brother, abso-fucking-lutely he did. To this day people wish Obama either dropped dead or got killed. This isn't condoning of those actions but please stop with the willful ignorance.

In these past 8 years I've seen plenty of people wishing Clinton and Obama would get a bullet between the eyes. Hell, even people sell custom made Obama/Bernie/Clinton targets with their face for target practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    What specific type of forced PC'ness riles people up so bad? Every time I read the above claim my brain translates it to , "Racist people are upset about being told to not be racist, and homophobic people are upset they can't treat gays as subhumans." Oh no, society wants us to treat everyone equally and generally be upstanding human beings, the HORROR!!

In the US every black person has to be called African American, yet that assumes all black people in America are Americans.

We can't use he and she to describe people.

I could go on.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.