Thread: So AT&T..

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So AT&T..

Called me out of the blue today and told me that they now offer faster internet for cheaper. Apparently they now have fiber lines to my neighborhood and I'm eligible for it. Currently I pay $84 for 28MB download and 1.5 MB upload (was $50 for 2 years but promotion ran out). They need to redo some wires and get me a new modem and I'll pay $65 per month for 1000 MBPS Down and 1000 MBPS Upload. No promotional price that jacks up in a year,No installation fee, no new contract. Basically called me and said " you are paying us too much money for too slow of speed. Can we increase your download speed by 35X and your upload speed 666X with no money out of pocket and save you $20 on your bill every month"- "Well shit yeah you can!"

For someone that has dealt with AT&T before, this has me kind of wary. Why in the hell would they do this? They could stiff me for shitty speeds and charge me more. After getting all the info from the guy and setting a date to get new modem/rewire, I flat-out asked him - This doesn't seem to be your companies MO when dealing with customers. His response makes sense on the surface - Customer Retention " We've lost numerous accounts in your neighborhood and it's getting worse. One of our competitors is offering the 1000/1000 speed for a similar price and we are trying to keep good customers from switching to them"

So, I was curious if any of you have had something similar happen to you? Am I missing the fine print here? Am I metaphorically walking into a trap with them? Like I said, everything seems legit but I have my doubts about ATT

I'm dubious about the 1000 upload speed because mines been shit everywhere I have ever been but I'm also ignorant when it comes to fiber vs speeds available. But to be honest, there is nothing I do in my house that will ever require either 1000 down or 1000 up. We haven't issues with the 28 we've been on.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Probably because another fiber company is coming in soon.

I got a similar offer from TWC (their offer was 300/100 for $40/mo) because a new fiber company came to my area and was offering 1000/1000 for $70/mo.

Find out when the new fiber company is coming to your area then tell ATT to go screw themselves for not doing this sooner for you.

Are you really paying 80+ $ for 28 MB internet ? lol what a fucking ripoff

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Called me out of the blue today and told me that they now offer faster internet for cheaper. Apparently they now have fiber lines to my neighborhood and I'm eligible for it. Currently I pay $84 for 28MB download and 1.5 MB upload (was $50 for 2 years but promotion ran out). They need to redo some wires and get me a new modem and I'll pay $65 per month for 1000 MBPS Down and 1000 MBPS Upload. No promotional price that jacks up in a year,No installation fee, no new contract. Basically called me and said " you are paying us too much money for too slow of speed. Can we increase your download speed by 35X and your upload speed 666X with no money out of pocket and save you $20 on your bill every month"- "Well shit yeah you can!"

For someone that has dealt with AT&T before, this has me kind of wary. Why in the hell would they do this? They could stiff me for shitty speeds and charge me more. After getting all the info from the guy and setting a date to get new modem/rewire, I flat-out asked him - This doesn't seem to be your companies MO when dealing with customers. His response makes sense on the surface - Customer Retention " We've lost numerous accounts in your neighborhood and it's getting worse. One of our competitors is offering the 1000/1000 speed for a similar price and we are trying to keep good customers from switching to them"

So, I was curious if any of you have had something similar happen to you? Am I missing the fine print here? Am I metaphorically walking into a trap with them? Like I said, everything seems legit but I have my doubts about ATT

I'm dubious about the 1000 upload speed because mines been shit everywhere I have ever been but I'm also ignorant when it comes to fiber vs speeds available. But to be honest, there is nothing I do in my house that will ever require either 1000 down or 1000 up. We haven't issues with the 28 we've been on.
    Gratz sounds like fiber is coming to your backyard and they are forced to compete, I wish comcast made me that offer >.> though i cant complain about speed after they showed their face and fixed the faulty line the price is kinda steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskayz View Post
    This is why no competition is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Jesus christ, 84$ for 28mb, i pay like 40 for 100/100, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    How is that possible in the land of the Free Market and beautiful opportunities ?

kinda feel bad for their customer services

I get like 1.2 Mibs here.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So we had our home phone, TV package and internet all thorught them for like $150 a month for 2 years, which was cheaper than seperately, after the 2 years it was like $300 a month so we swapped TV to Dish and got rid of the home phone. Then it was like 45-50 a month for 2 years and when it ran out, I wasn't too interested in switching. Partly because I just auto-pay the bill out of the business every month and partly because I didn't wanna go through the hassle of switching. Especially when the next company was gonna do the same exact thing (low intro rate then similar price )

I live in San Antonio. There is no lack of providers. Plenty of competition. I sternly refuse to use Time Warner for anything after the bullshit I went through with them. Don't really care if they were double the speed for half the price. Wouldn't give them my money.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

10+ Year Old Account
    We pay 160$/mo for 100 Mbs bundled with TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JustForThisThread View Post
    Probably because another fiber company is coming in soon.

I got a similar offer from TWC (their offer was 300/100 for $40/mo) because a new fiber company came to my area and was offering 1000/1000 for $70/mo.

Find out when the new fiber company is coming to your area then tell ATT to go screw themselves for not doing this sooner for you.
    This seems to be the case. Was talking to a neighbor just now and he said google fiber is here. (not sure how true his statement is though)

10+ Year Old Account
    My thought exactly.

You know what they say about a fool and their money though...
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

So we had our home phone, TV package and internet all thorught them for like $150 a month for 2 years, which was cheaper than seperately, after the 2 years it was like $300 a month so we swapped TV to Dish and got rid of the home phone. Then it was like 45-50 a month for 2 years and when it ran out, I wasn't too interested in switching. Partly because I just auto-pay the bill out of the business every month and partly because I didn't wanna go through the hassle of switching. Especially when the next company was gonna do the same exact thing (low intro rate then similar price ).
    How can something as basic as internet and phone get to 300$ ?
    I've lived in northern africa and could get the same kind of package with better speeds for the equivalent of 45$ a month, which was still considered expensive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    We pay 160$/mo for 100 Mbs bundled with TV.
    What the hell

I've lived in northern africa and could get the same kind of package with better speeds for the equivalent of 50$ a month, which was still considered expensive
    TV was in there too. But I thought $300 was too much too. That why we swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Jesus christ, 84$ for 28mb, i pay like 40 for 100/100, lol
    I pay 20 for 110/100. I win!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

TV was in there too. But I thought $300 was too much too. That why we swapped.
    Yeah tv bonus channels included too (a lot of them are free otherwise)
    But if you really pay 150$ a month for that I'll really consider opening a snake oil factory where you live

- - - Updated - - -

How much is water/electricity ? Just curious

Yeah tv bonus channels included too (a lot of them are free otherwise)
    But if you really pay 150$ a month for that I'll really consider opening a snake oil factory where you live

- - - Updated - - -

How much is water/electricity ? Just curious
    Water and sewer is $27-$30 - more if we water the lawn in the summer.

Electric includes our trash service and our natural gas (heater,water and oven are all natural gas) and its usually around $150 a month, can peak up to $250 in the summer if its consecutively over 100 degrees for days on end.

Family of 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I've lived in northern africa and could get the same kind of package with better speeds for the equivalent of 45$ a month, which was still considered expensive

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell
    The cost of living in Miami ...

Deleted
    do they pay for the installation of the new wiring? or do you?

I thought energy was cheaper in the us like gas usually is. 150$ sounds a lot, I live in Europe right now and get mad when I get 70€ bills during winter

Do you also pay for healthcare ? That sounds like a lot overpriced mandatory monthly bills tbh
    I know food and taxes are lower but at this point I don't even know if that's a better deal