Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I would be willing to bet there was only one gun in the video that was legal. If so, it's a great example of the difference of having legal guns or not having legal guns. The illegal gun would have been there either way. (well except for the fact this is in a gun store that wouldn't exist if guns were not legal)

Mormolyce meant gun ban, not gun control. He says the phrase, but based on posting history it is not hard to come to the real conclusion.

Logic tells me the robber was already a prohibited person (illegal) and the gun was either a straw purchase (illegal) by a friend/family member, or stolen (also, illegal).

"Or, crazy thought..." Laws don't stop people who don't care bout laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Mormolyce meant gun ban, not gun control. He says the phrase, but based on posting history it is not hard to come to the real conclusion.

Logic tells me the robber was already a prohibited person (illegal) and the gun was either a straw purchase (illegal) by a friend/family member, or stolen (also, illegal).

"Or, crazy thought..." Laws don't stop people who don't care bout laws.
    Even bans will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Let's just get rid of all the laws then. But yeah, a gun ban wouldn't work. Just need an actual national database.
    I didn't say that at all. Not even close.

Your fallacy of an argument pretends that no laws regarding firearms currently exist. Quite the contrary we have a very extensive set of laws on guns with some of the most harsh punishments for violating those laws.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-01-13 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just get rid of all the laws then. But yeah, a gun ban wouldn't work. Just need an actual national database.
    The only purpose of a database is for confiscation.

What do you mean by national database? You mean of actual gun owners or of permitted owners?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The only purpose of a database is for confiscation.
    Yeah, if that is what he is saying, hell...fucking...naw.

Also, this thread title is fake news. Nobody was robbed. =D
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-01-13 at 07:15 AM.

Obviously, what's the downside exactly?

And there are many many times when people can become convicted felons without having their guns confiscated.
    I'm more concerned with private data being hacked / FOIA access, than confiscation personally.

Media outlets have already proved they are willing to release the addresses of permit holders in some areas for agenda propelled pieces. Guns can be worth a lot of money as well so allowing the chance for that data to be ransacked is unacceptable.

I'll entertain the idea of a database once our government can seal up every other database of peoples information they currently house. (PS: that is rhetorical, we know it will never happen)

10+ Year Old Account

And there are many many times when people can become convicted felons without having their guns confiscated.
    There is a simple solution to the convicted felon in possession: life in prison w/o parole in solitary.

Another armed citizen stopping an attacker, this time the victim was a cop: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/12...fficer-ambush/
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2017-01-13 at 07:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    so only outcome in your book would be kill him or he gets away, brilliant
    Yes, I'd rather one dead guy who's made a very deliberate poor life choice than the many dead, injured and traumatised innocent victims of firearms-assisted crime.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

The downsides to a database are numerous. For one, they could be used for confiscation at a later date, however fucking unlikely that is. Another issue is criminals and ill acting government officials could take advantage of this knowledge. Hell, there was a story just a couple of years ago where someone released a private list of conceal carry permit holders. We spent a lot of internet here at MMO-C discussing that beauty. However, the last reason is just because fuck the man, we are not submitting to any bull shit list of people who own completely legal personal property.

You are correct that felons pretty much never are asked to give up their guns, and our laws don't allow for police to just go search their homes. We could clean up some of the loop holes, and not impact legal ownership by very much at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you skipped a few steps there. I'm saying that fairly often people become felons for whatever crime unreleated to the gun and then do not get their guns confiscated. So, if they go to prison and other people, possibly not the best of people, have access to those guns then where do you think they end up?

I just think overall it would help reduce the amount of guns on the black market and that's the best way to fight gun violence. Make it where your average gang banger can't afford guns on the black market.
    I would rather get the criminals out of circulation. Besides, an AK-47 in parts of Africa goes for less than $100, Im sure I could smuggle tons of those in. Hell, I have been offered an AKSU-74 before....

There is a simple solution to the convicted felon in possession: life in prison w/o parole in solitary.

Another armed citizen stopping an attacker, this time the victim was a cop: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/12...fficer-ambush/
    I'm not sure how a solution that OUTRAGEOUSLY violates the constitution, as well as many ideals we hold dear, could ever be considered a simple solution. That is more like a simpleton solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I'm not sure how a solution that OUTRAGEOUSLY violates the constitution, as well as many ideals we hold dear, could ever be considered a simple solution. That is more like a simpleton solution.
    Only idiots care about pandering to criminals. The ONLY way to ensure criminals add no more victims is to remove them from society, and the only way to save them from each other is to keep them apart.

Only idiots care about pandering to criminals. The ONLY way to ensure criminals add no more victims is to remove them from society, and the only way to save them from each other is to keep them apart.
    I don't know why you are insulting me and calling me names. I did not call you names. Is your argument that weak that the only way to win, in your mind, is to insult people and call them names? Is this what passes for intellectual political discourse to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    That was considered graphic? The guy just lies down for a nap.
    My thoughts exactly. Seeing a few rekt-threads in my days this one felt very casual...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Good good. I completely support being able defend your property by any means necessary. Hopefully it'll deter others from attempting the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Good good. I completely support being able defend your property by any means necessary. Hopefully it'll deter others from attempting the same.
    I take it you didn't watch the video? When someone storms in with a gun pointed at your head, it's not your property that is your primary concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I don't know why you are insulting me and calling me names. I did not call you names. Is your argument that weak that the only way to win, in your mind, is to insult people and call them names? Is this what passes for intellectual political discourse to you?
    No, it is a simple statement.

Do you realize how silly you sound right now?

Deleted
    Are you so deranged that you can't even tell what you write? You literally refer to a generalized group as idiots.