Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Timewalking raids.
    That's about as close to Vanilla as walking in a homemade tin suit is about living in medieval times.

They are seriously considering it for year 2028

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I am so sick of seeing people say that "specs are broken"... "lots of classes aren't viable!!"
    People bashing on Vanilla usually just parrot what they heard on the forums, and what is said on the forum is just clichés which have become accepted truth due to constant repetition. You can notice it's always the same handful of memes which are repeated, and which tend to be just the most catchy of the exagerrated complains people posted during Vanilla.

It's a bit like if people looked at threads saying how Emerald Nightmare mythic was undertuned, and got so caught up in the repetition that, several years later, it's seriously claimed that EN Mythic was tuned as a "normal" or "LFR" difficulty raid, and people saying "no, it was just undertuned mythic" are mocked as wearing "rose-tinted glasses".

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That's about as close to Vanilla as walking in a homemade tin suit is about living in medieval times.
    And it's about as close to actual Legacy as you're going to get in the next two to five years. :^)

Of course they are considering it and taking it seriously. The problem is considering it and taking it seriously doesn't translate to you screaming "jump" and them replying with "how high". I would say now that Blizzard has ditched the concept of "yearly" expansions the odds have gone up. It doesn't mean next week we will have legacy servers but I do feel it went from a basic zero to a basic possibility.

If they really wanted to cash in on the concept they should bundle it into the next expansion which sells boxes and earns subs. I think with the games eventual and somewhat steady decline it only makes sense to makes to try to have a big cash grab over it and with it also possibility lure people from both sides of the line to play the other to retain subs if only for a few months longer than average. If the concept really works than they could bundled BC legacy into the fallowing expo and so on. If it doesn't than you drop the matter and got a solid reason to why.

But at the same time I wouldn't hold my breath either. Official legacy servers might only come about once the games full retail run has come to an end which could be a long ways off still.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    I don't know what you remember of 2004, but everyone wasn't a cavemen. What happens on private servers is not a reflection of what happened on retail. A spec could have very well underperformed on retail, but be viable on a private server. They are not one in the same.
    They were brand new to the game. They had no idea what they were doing, the specs were perfectly fine, people just did not know how to gear for them or play them and labeled them as "noneffective and not viable"

What a great way trying to get this thread closed by constantly calling a certain servers name, even if the OP was talking about a different topic.

Implementing legacy servers is not as simple as it looks, if it was then they'd just done so ages ago. They'll need more time to figure out how to handle these servers, for example do you just start over with all the old patches relaunching over time or do you just keep the server locked in the latest patch. And they'll want to integrate it into Battle.net, vanilla WoW used to have a different launcher. I expect to hear something in the next Blizzcon, but so far they've been quite busy with Legion and Overwatch around the time that Legacy server talk became a huge thing.

They said they were talking, instead of dismissing it.
    Get over it.

What does it matter if your personal and artificial timeline is not being met.

There would absolutely be certain expectations that a 3rd party is not obligated to provide.
    Better support being one of them.
    That isn't something trivial to implement, nor cost or resource free.

For the sake of this discussion I will say they are going forward with it.
    Do you want it done properly, or do you want it rushed at which point you and others would whine again.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-13 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny, you say you are sick of it and provide 4 example of which 2 are only "somewhat viable". And the biggest laugh I got is calling retri "somewhat viable" and giving an example of a 50% dps difference. Yes, this is 2017 and on a Vanilla server this would be totally unacceptable because...it is 2017 and people cry over 5% less dps as "Blizzard cannot balance classes".

Let us not forget that 2 of the four classes you mentioned were faction specific. Oh yeah, and changing speccs was horrible expensive.

But, yes. Please do provide us with examples how it didn't matter if you rolled a warrior, druid or Paladin tank, because they were all balanced and all the same. And how every dps specc was competitive. (It better look like this http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/ - and even this is cause for outrage)
    For one, I never said ANYTHING about Tanks. It is a well known fact that Warriors are the Tanks in Vanilla (Although Druids and Paladins CAN OT/Tank packs)
    Secondly, I NEVER said anything about every DPS spec being competitive, I believe my words were VIABLE.

--SNIP--

Shadow Priest doing 280 DPS - VIABLE.
    Elemental Shaman doing 220 DPS - VIABLE.
    Feral Druid doing doing 239 DPS - VIABLE.
    Retribution Paladins are pretty hard to find, but if they were in that list, they'd probably be doing around 140.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-01-13 at 07:58 PM.

Why am i going to pay my monthly subscription for the current game when resources is taken from that game and put into something hardly anyone wants ? you are hearing from the vocal minority, not the silent majority. Players won't be staying on vanilla wow servers. Its a waste of time and energy. Energy better spent on fixing the current game and move forward. Not take a GIANT leap back the borefest that was vanilla.

If they set up their own subs for vanilla servers, and their own team to work on it. go ahead. Don't care. But no fucking way the current game i am paying for is going to suffer because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Why am i going to pay my monthly subscription for the current game when resources is taken from that game and put into something hardly anyone wants ? you are hearing from the vocal minority, not the silent majority. Players won't be staying on vanilla wow servers. Its a waste of time and energy. Energy better spent on fixing the current game and move forward. Not take a GIANT leap back the borefest that was vanilla.

If they set up their own subs for vanilla servers, and their own team to work on it. go ahead. Don't care. But no fucking way the current game i am paying for is going to suffer because of it.
    :cue the "Blizzard is a huge company which makes billions of dollars they can make Legacy no problem" fallacies:

Dunno how long some people need to realise that anything Blizzard says is a PR stunt.

- taking Legacy seriously
    - faster expansions
    - more content / no content drought
    - PTRs and especially class tuning hotfixes one week after their release

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, maybe then that is another answer that belongs in a Vanilla thread like "Why did people like Classic" - because we were allowed to play whatever was "viable". Sort of. (Our shamans and Priests were all still healers though - when you need to gather 40 people three times a week, you cannot pick and chose)
    You can do Molten Core easily with 20-25 people DPSing. You do NOT need the max of 40 to clear Molten Core, hell.. Even back when Vanilla was still retail, half the raid was AFK anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Blizzard had a heck of an interview back last November 2016.

The interview was with World of Warcraft game director Ion Hazzikostas.

Blizzard on World of Warcraft Legacy Servers: 'It's Something We're Taking Seriously'

6 Nov 2016

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...king-seriously

Some notable quotes:

"There's no question it's something we want to do"

"It's about the pre-Cataclysm world,It's about level-capping, the old skills being what they were, etc. A lot of it is about nostalgia. A lot of it is about literally trying to re-experience what you remember from 2005-2006. Nostalgia is powerful."

My question remains, exactly how seriously is Blizzard taking the concept of Legacy servers? They still entertain the topic on their forums via a Classic Vanilla thread as a sticky, but the header info on the sticky is severely old.

Blizzard Classic thread (official):
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749678358

The official thread is old. How sincere is Blizzard??

*** This is in no way intended to be a version bashing thread or one promoting private servers. Please don't go there.

They took it in consideration, and since is a waste of time and no big monetizing, go play nost

They said they're taking the idea seriously. That doesn't mean they're going to do it.

I think Blizzard waffles and overthinks a lot of stuff (hi transmog) but this is not one of them IMO. It's really delicate. It's hard to implement and harder still to figure out the right way to do it. Just throwing it out and being like "hey classic servers go do the thing if you want" would probably be the wrong move.

Blizzard on World of Warcraft Legacy Servers: 'It's Something We're Taking Seriously'

6 Nov 2016

Some notable quotes:

"It's about the pre-Cataclysm world,It's about level-capping, the old skills being what they were, etc. A lot of it is about nostalgia. A lot of it is about literally trying to re-experience what you remember from 2005-2006. Nostalgia is powerful."

My question remains, exactly how seriously is Blizzard taking the concept of Legacy servers? They still entertain the topic on their forums via a Classic Vanilla thread as a sticky, but the header info on the sticky is severely old.

*** This is in no way intended to be a version bashing thread or one promoting private servers. Please don't go there.
    How sincere is Blizzard? Not at all sincere. It's all lies and BS.

Blizzard will never do legacy.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account

6 Nov 2016

Some notable quotes:

Already a thread of this topic. As well, most that thread was killed due to most Nostalgia, whom boosted the talk of it, decided to say 'fuck it' and throw a tantrum. Since then, not much talk has happened.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    So. The thing is. I just can't make my Mind up if they will make it or not. Cus it goes down to.
    They can make it, but there are so many If's.. Like What path will we start with. 1.0. or 1.4 What SHOULD they fix, What abouts bugs, what about enterface all that is pretty big questions that needs to be answered before it is a go.

But, Why would they, Blizzard can only "make" money if it cost something, And I dont think people want to subscribe to another WOW. So it would have to either be. Pay ones, and then can play it(like Guild wars) or As long as you are actively subscribed to wow you can play vanila as well.

But also leads me to, Why would they? It would surely Split up the player base. Hard core raiding Guilds already say it is kind of hard to find Enough Dedicated people. Now, many people will Focus on vanila. Feel the Ques are bad now? well Less people, for sure not everyone will play Vanila, and people may only play it for a few weeks, then go back, but as long as people are playing Vanila, less are playing "current" wow.

I want to play it, I loved vanila, but it is not a better game, And I just dont think it will happend. For it may not Split up blizzards Developer Team, cus people "JUST " want vanila wow, but it will split up customer support, and that is already God awfull, i on EU am HAPPY if i get a reply within 6 Hours, even when Main quest, part of a Chain is bugged.. it would also not help on that, For Vanila server would also require Support and GM's, so unlikely Blizzard would hire that many more, they would just split their Resources.

You still don't get how PR talk work? You still take answers like 'it's definitely something we're looking into' / 'we're discussing a lot about it' / 'it's something we take very seriously' literally?

Customer relationship 101: Never say no, even if it's clearly no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    You still don't get how PR talk work? You still take answers like 'it's definitely something we're looking into' / 'we're discussing a lot about it' / 'it's something we take very seriously' literally?

Customer relationship 101: Never say no, even if it's clearly no.
    To be completely fair, Blizzard's stance has been a very firm no for a very long time. See: The Great Wall of No. If anything, there is something to be said about Blizzard's stance evolving from a flat "nope" to a "nope, not now."

edit: Not to give credence to people holding Blizzard to promises of things they haven't said. Yes, their mentality has seemed to change but I doubt we'll be hearing anything official in the works before the next few expansions are done.