Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Sounds like you are telling the boys they should just sit down and shut up. They give their subjective opinion and your response is that the boys in class are misogynists.
    Once the school hands these sheets out, it is not a subjective opinion anymore. At that point, these become school-sanctioned guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    The heck is this?
    Schools are asking them to go on a date?

But yes, the suggestions sounds like something someone wrote in the 1940s.
    "Have her home in time", "Be feminine and lady-like"?

Thats ridiculous.
    Whats so "1940s" about dropping your date home in time??????? So if her dad told her to be home by 10 you're just gonna say "nah girl, don't worry about it?"

What the fuck is this surreal homework assignment from the 1950s?

Utah is one weird place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    You are there to learn relevant things. Do you want your education spent on how to date boys?

If so, don't come crying about not having a education for a relevant job later on, then, lol.
    Dude, it's not about "how to date boys". Did you not see the 2nd paper? It's on the first post, you just have to scroll down. The assignment was about seeing a date from the opposite sex's perspective. One paper the boys wrote about what they prefer in their dates, and the 2nd paper was about what girls like to see in their dates.

I think it's funny that people are fine with teaching little kids in school all about having sex, but if we want to teach them about dating, it's way too taboo....but the sex part is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Once the school hands these sheets out, it is not a subjective opinion anymore. At that point, these become school-sanctioned guidelines.
    The sheets were written by the students. There's nothing sanctioned by the school there. It literally says, "these are from the students". So if you aren't familiar, that's like a disclaimer, so the kids know it's not the state saying that, it's the other kids. The purpose is to start a discussion.

Deleted
    Oh noes, a person in Utah had an opinion about a rather odd assignment, quick we must correct this injustice by typing angrily on our keyboards that'll teach those darn SJWs!

On-topic: It is a rather strange assignment in my opinion but I actually kind of like it. Granted, I still feel that is more the responsibility of a parent to teach their kids but whatever.

Deleted
    Dude, it's not about "how to date boys". Did you not see the 2nd paper? It's on the first post, you just have to scroll down. The assignment was about seeing a date from the opposite sex's perspective. One paper the boys wrote about what they prefer in their dates, and the 2nd paper was about what girls like to see in their dates.

I think it's funny that people are fine with teaching little kids in school all about having sex, but if we want to teach them about dating, it's way too taboo....but the sex part is fine.
    What does dating a person, have for relevance, of your state funded education?

Do you think you will get a job based on that? Why should we waste society resources, on something that people can do, by being social?

"Do this. Do this. Don't do that. Do this. Be like this. Make sure to do this."

"Be yourself."

lol?

What does dating a person, have for relevance, of your state funded education?

Do you think you will get a job based on that? Why should we waste society resources, on something that people can do, by being social?
    What does consumer math have to do with a state funded education? There's tons of stuff I learned in school that have absolutely nothing to do with the work I do to earn money. Like the vast majority of what I learned doesn't translate into what I do for a living. Are you suggesting we should replace public schools with Tech Schools? To be honest, I don't know that I'd be completely against that, there could be a place for it, but in general I think you learn a ton of stuff that make you a more well rounded and intelligent person by being exposed to more subjects. My criteria is that the subject is something that can be useful for you in life.

Deleted
    What does consumer math have to do with a state funded education? There's tons of stuff I learned in school that have absolutely nothing to do with the work I do to earn money. Like the vast majority of what I learned doesn't translate into what I do for a living. Are you suggesting we should replace public schools with Tech Schools? To be honest, I don't know that I'd be completely against that, there could be a place for it, but in general I think you learn a ton of stuff that make you a more well rounded and intelligent person by being exposed to more subjects. My criteria is that the subject is something that can be useful for you in life.
    Then they should reform the system further more, to remove things that are not relevant to building up to you getting a job.

Otherwise there is no real purpose to going to school, other than "Exposure".

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    "Do this. Do this. Don't do that. Do this. Be like this. Make sure to do this."

"Be yourself."

lol?
    The point of the exercise was to point out things the opposite sex likes, or finds annoying. I can be myself while withholding something I would do when I'm by myself and not do it when I'm on a date.

I have one persona when I'm by myself. I have a different persona when I'm with my family. I have a different persona when I'm with my friends, and I have yet a different persona when I'm with my co-workers. All of these persona's are still "me". I'm still being myself, while choosing to do things that ingratiate me with those I'm with and I choose not to do things that annoy them. Personally I find it helpful to know what those things are.

The girls were asking to be home on time and the boys were saying they preferred it if their dates acted more feminine. As a guy who prefers feminine women, I suppose I'm ridiculous too. I'm fine with that.
    just curious, what do you see as acting more feminine?

The sheets were written by the students. There's nothing sanctioned by the school there. It literally says, "these are from the students". So if you aren't familiar, that's like a disclaimer, so the kids know it's not the state saying that, it's the other kids. The purpose is to start a discussion.
    It also says "Make sure you try and follow".

Then they should reform the system further more, to remove things that are not relevant to building up to you getting a job.

Otherwise there is no real purpose to going to school, other than "Exposure".
    The point is to become well rounded. Most people have no idea what they want to do for a living when they are a kid. There's a lot of people in college that still have no idea of what they want to do, and yet other people who are actively in the work force that still don't know what they want to do. Sure they are doing something, it pays the bills, but it isn't what they want to be doing.

The exposure also gives me a greater understanding of the life around me and the world I live in. I don't need literature or history to get a job, but it makes me a more intelligent person to have had those subjects. So while I'll say the line is very subjective, as far as what should be taught in school, I believe it has to be more than the simple basics of knowing what you will need to know to get a job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It's deeply misogynistic, but that's not the biggest issue. Scoring kids on their social interactions is little different from the Chinese citizen score system that hit the headlines recently.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7375221.html
    There was no score. It was for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Whats so "1940s" about dropping your date home in time??????? So if her dad told her to be home by 10 you're just gonna say "nah girl, don't worry about it?"
    But she does not have to make sure the guy is home in time?
    This is some IS level bullshit only it's in Utah, not in Iraq.

The girls were asking to be home on time and the boys were saying they preferred it if their dates acted more feminine. As a guy who prefers feminine women, I suppose I'm ridiculous too. I'm fine with that.
    And for people that does not like their women "feminine"?
    It's a silly attempt at forcing thier medieval values on these children.

I dunno, I would be annoyed by something instructing me to "be a man!"
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    The point is to become well rounded. Most people have no idea what they want to do for a living when they are a kid. There's a lot of people in college that still have no idea of what they want to do, and yet other people who are actively in the work force that still don't know what they want to do. Sure they are doing something, it pays the bills, but it isn't what they want to be doing.

The exposure also gives me a greater understanding of the life around me and the world I live in. I don't need literature or history to get a job, but it makes me a more intelligent person to have had those subjects. So while I'll say the line is very subjective, as far as what should be taught in school, I believe it has to be more than the simple basics of knowing what you will need to know to get a job..
    Learning relevant skills for a job can be baked in with history and things akin. Whilst i still find Math to be somewhat relevant, in todays society and the upcoming automation, i'd say Programming needs to be a lot more relevant in Schools.

And that's just a premonition, assuming you'd reform lower echilons of schools up to College etc., given the upcoming lay-off of people.

Really, i share the sentiment of fluff knowledge, but fluff is literally that, it's fluff - It's not helpful to develop skills not determine what one WOULD want to do.
    You get more exposure to what you WANT to do, if you get exposure to it.

Deleted
    They weren't teaching them about culture. They were attempting to start a discussion so they could see a date from the opposite sex's perspective.
    Gas.. spending money? Going on a date in a restaurant is a cultural thing. Not everyone is interested in doing it ever. Some people prefer to go to clubs, some invite their date over and cook for them, some prefer the shooting range. To each their own.

Deleted
    This is such a non-issue to get worked up over. Even more hilarious that people here on the forum do and call
    It misogyny.

Learning relevant skills for a job can be baked in with history and things akin. Whilst i still find Math to be somewhat relevant, in todays society and the upcoming automation, i'd say Programming needs to be a lot more relevant in Schools.

And that's just a premonition, assuming you'd reform lower echilons of schools up to College etc., given the upcoming lay-off of people.

Really, i share the sentiment of fluff knowledge, but fluff is literally that, it's fluff - It's not helpful to develop skills not determine what one WOULD want to do.
    You get more exposure to what you WANT to do, if you get exposure to it.
    How do you become a programmer without knowing math though?
    Good understanding of math must be one of the most relevant and important skills you can have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it bad to have groups of guys and girls have a discussion about what they like in a date or what makes a date more or less enjoyable? You think maybe the boys and girls should go to separate schools so they don't have to talk to each other, much less see each other, so they can focus on academic studies only?

I guess I'm just not following why having an open discussion about dating between the students is a bad thing. Seems like the perfect venue for it. Where do you think this type of discussion / study should happen?
    Never said it was bad. Just kinda weirded out by it. Why the fuck does the school care about their dating lives?

The school is there to educate about science, art, mathematics, and languages...not give out "how to behave on a date" assignments to the students.

Dunno, I guess I can see some upsides to it. But, I'm just not fond of the "one size fits all" approach this list encourages. Different people are different people. Things that work for one person will drive others away and telling them that these "suggested" (even if they are suggested by the students) are the best options is narrow.

It's just a weird assignment all around as (realistically) there is no possible way to pass or fail unless you go out of your way to do so.

Having said that, I probably would have asked if it was compulsory to participate. If it was, I would have done the bare minimum to pass it without much thought about it because I, quite frankly, wouldn't have cared. And if it wasn't, I would have trashed it and gone back to reading my books.

So I'm probably not the best person to talk to about this topic.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2017-01-13 at 10:29 AM.