Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    You are claiming she shouldn't talk about Trump's mocking of a disabled person if she doesn't also - or instead - talk about other problems. That is a fallacy of relative privation.
    Perhaps you aren't familiar with Meryl Streep's politics and that's okay. I won't fault you for that. But pointing out a hypocrisy is not a fallacy.

Pro tip: Don't try to defend the indefensible. You'll only look like a fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So what's the test here? "Hi, are you a muslim?"
    No, I don't know what his vetting system will be- he didn't bother to tell me (go figure).

I imagine it will involve some identity verification, a background check along with some questioning.

Once again, it is only muslims who are attempting to enter the country that are not citizens. So just asking "Hi, are you a muslim?" just wouldn't be effective since they are all good if they are a citizen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Still sounds like banning all muslims. We already have a vetting system that can take more than a year and typically a minimum of like six months. Wanna know how many refugees have committed terrorist acts? Wanna know how many american citizens have committed such acts? One of those numbers is zero. Please, tell me more about this connection between their religion and terrorism while completely ignoring the connection between Christianity or any other religion and terrorism.

Getting into forbidden topics though so you probably shouldn't.
    Honestly, if you don't see the connection by now- after the last 15 years in news, I just can't help you.

I wouldn't bother explaining it anyway, since it has been done to death. Also, it is a forbidden topic.

I am fine with him vetting anyone from any country or any religion. I think we should vet every single person that comes into this country. We aren't a flophouse or something.

If the vetting takes too long for them, then they can go back to their country- I guess they didn't want to come here that bad if they can't wait a little.

I am also fine with offering refugees temporary housing in tent cities by the border with humanitarian aid while we vet them. We can teach them English, our laws, some job training and our traditions while they wait. It will be a free educational experience and they get to enjoy learning about a new culture while they wait! It's a win-win (I know the libs and aclu would never allow that though- reminds them of the WWII camps).

We could do it mostly through volunteers and charity- it probably wouldn't even cost us that much! I am sure all the dems and libs that just care so so so much about all these people will run down there to help! Hillary and Obama will be on the front lines handing out water and food, since they both now have so much free time. It will be glorious!

Here is why I like vetting (just one reason):

Think of this situation:
    Someone murders a person in his/her home country then flees justice and goes to the USA (not so far fetched, criminals in the USA have been known to flee to Mexico, Canada or South America) to hide.

We don't check them, let them right in. They are never brought to justice. Technically, we aided and abbeted a fleeing fugitive just by being lazy and not checking.

The shot at football and MMA is a great example of why I think people in "high culture" are basically a bunch of cunts. I'm more educated and knowledgable than 99%+ of these people and I vastly prefer MMA to anything these people have ever done; framing this as a negative thing says much more about their ignorance of the world than mine.

Also, the notion that MMA isn't multi-ethnic and multi-cultural speaks further to the ignorance of the Hollywood crowd. What a pathetic, insular bubble these people live in.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Really? Are you just regurgatating the ideas you heard online?

The fact that the Media says something about refugees being a problem, can be condensed into the fact that they occupy camps somewhere or perhaps have a high populace in a certain city - They are nothing on the level of causing an actual problem for the system.

And even if they have effects, they are basically just irrelevant, like i tried to point out with the numerics i provided.
    how about the Paris bombings, the Niece truck attack, the Brussels bombing and all of the other attacks across Europe? Were they just made up attacks that never happened because we heard the news online?

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    No, I don't know what his vetting system will be- he didn't bother to tell me (go figure).

I imagine it will involve some identity verification, a background check along with some questioning.

Once again, it is only muslims who are attempting to enter the country that are not citizens. So just asking "Hi, are you a muslim?" just wouldn't be effective since they are all good if they are a citizen.
    And you're comfortable with the government doing background checks to find broad stroke religious affiliation at the border or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    how about the Paris bombings, the Niece truck attack, the Brussels bombing and all of the other attacks across Europe? Were they just made up attacks that never happened because we heard the news online?
    10-15 people get hit by a truck. France has 66 million people.

That's approximately 1.51e-7% of the population being affected. Do you realize, how small of a fraction, that is?

Media blows shit up to put you in a eternal state of hyperbole while the big leagues keep you down under the boot of surpression and keep the middle-class fighting each other.

The fact that 10 people dying to a truck gets you riled, but hundreds dying in the ocean from attempted immigration etc, just goes unmentioned.
    We can hyperbole death all you wish, we can huff and puff who did what and who died from what - But if the fact that 30 people die from random lunatics, then maybe we ought to start talking numbers on the rest of the issues too?

My point is, Don't let media get to you. They're full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    She doesn't care when the Clintons steal billions from the Haitian people. Or when Obama kills innocent families with drone strikes. She only pretends to care about foreigners when a Republican is in office. She's what's wrong with the two party system. She's as fake as the characters she plays on tv.
    For god's sake shut up about Hillary.

Hillary is the definition of irrelevant at this point. We are talking about the actions of Trump and Trump only and yes, his actions are disgusting and inexcusable as a future POTUS. Hillary didn't get elected. Hillary is not here. Trump is here, and Streep's comments are directed at him and him alone as the future president.

And even if we were to compare these two things, you are missing the point Streep is making and even why she is the person making it: the power of influence. Trump is president and needs to be far, far more careful with what he as president does. When he does something that can be perceived as mocking a retard on a stage, that has a ripple effect because millions and millions of people see that the POTUS is seemingly mocking a retarded person on stage and as such fill in their own blanks, growing contempt for retarded people.

Influence is a concept I'm guessing you can't grasp though, so let me break it down. The Clintons doing nasty, shady shit behind the scenes isn't okay but that fact isn't a proclamation from Hillary onstage telling people to rob charities. Trump doing idiotic shit on stage is an okay for other similar shitty behavior and that is absolutely not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    10-15 people get hit by a truck. France has 66 million people.

That's approximately 1.51e-7% of the population being affected. Do you realize, how small of a fraction, that is?

Media blows shit up to put you in a eternal state of hyperbole while the big leagues keep you down under the boot of surpression and keep the middle-class fighting each other.

The fact that 10 people dying to a truck gets you riled, but hundreds dying in the ocean from attempted immigration etc, just goes unmentioned.
    We can hyperbole death all you wish, we can huff and puff who did what and who died from what - But if the fact that 30 people die from random lunatics, then maybe we ought to start talking numbers on the rest of the issues too?

My point is, Don't let media get to you. They're full of shit.
    my point is terrorist attacks still exist and there are different refugees you can choose from instead, they dont have to be from the middle east. You could pick ones from South america maybe, or China, or maybe even India.. doesn't matter so why pick ones that have a higher chance to kill you vs ones that dont?

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    my point is terrorist attacks still exist and there are different refugees you can choose from instead, they dont have to be from the middle east.
    This part here says everything we need to know about you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I thought her speech was really great, but I know there are quite mixed feelings on celebrities using their platform to voice their own feelings/opinions on some very flammable subjects.

Personally I think if you have such a platform and can use it in a way to better the world in some capacity then do it.

What are your views on celebrities using their celeb status as a platform? And your general thoughts about what she speaks about in her speech?

Speech:
    I think she has every right to use the platform she was given by the Golden Globes, as long as they don't mind. Clearly, they did not. I sort of doubt her personal platform would have been adequate to make this big of news, were she not on that show, but that is a nit pick.

She, like any citizen, has every right to speak her mind, no matter how fucking empty it is. I do find it to be an interesting phenomenon however, that some actors seem to have this deep desire to be judged on their own words, instead of the words of others that they perform. Yet, other actors do not.

What I think is supremely amusing about her comments, is that she likely has no idea how many more millions of people watch sports than attend movies. I'm not saying it's an either or, but merely pointing out the time spent watching is dramatically different. She is one of the most famous actors, yet we collectively have probably only averaged 10 or 20 hours viewing her art. Meanwhile, football is on for hours and hours every weekend, every Fall.

I'm getting to the thread late, and I'm sure my points are repeats of others. But, I would just like to add that this smug attitude that people who enjoy different entertainment, than that which she provides, are somehow below her, is pretty much why Hollywood is hated. So, she speaks out about Hollywood being picked on, and then tries stick up for them by pouring gasoline on the fire. This is not a deep thinker.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-01-13 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The shot at football and MMA is a great example of why I think people in "high culture" are basically a bunch of cunts. I'm more educated and knowledgable than 99%+ of these people and I vastly prefer MMA to anything these people have ever done; framing this as a negative thing says much more about their ignorance of the world than mine.

Also, the notion that MMA isn't multi-ethnic and multi-cultural speaks further to the ignorance of the Hollywood crowd. What a pathetic, insular bubble these people live in.
    Why are you so offended? Aren't you commonly crying on here how every non-STEM should major in STEM? You promote this pathetic, insular bubble all the time trying to tell people to live like you and you're suddenly blown off a cliff because some equally pretentious individual from "high culture" essentially says what you always say all while you're crying about the E's being pretentious pricks?

For reference, I agree. The shade at football and MMA fans was unnecessary as I've already said with @Theodarzna but he isn't a whiny hypocrite.
    Last edited by twiddler; 2017-01-13 at 07:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Why are you so offended? Aren't you commonly crying on here how every non-STEM should major in STEM? You promote this pathetic, insular bubble all the time trying to tell people to live like you and you're suddenly blown off a cliff because some equally pretentious individual from "high culture" essentially says what you always say all while you're crying about the E's being pretentious pricks?

For reference, I agree. The shade at football and MMA fans was unnecessary as I've already said with @Theodarzna but he isn't a whiny hypocrite.
    Yes shots fired at MMA and football kinda ruined her speech. Like she said: be humble, but you lowlife mma fans should be ashamed, hehe. And biggest MMA star is foreigner, cant say it about Hollywood. So many fighters from many exotic countries. And yet death in mma is very uncommon, but you know actors... (Ledger,Williams) fighting often with clinical depression (high stress etc.)
    On other hand Trump reacting to her speech via twitter...is it for real?, I don't live in USA but what i can say kinda childish behavior... and its your new president lol.
    Overall very good speech, really, thats why actors can be good politicians (Regan, John Paul II).

Quote Originally Posted by drakus View Post
    Yes shots fired at MMA and football kinda ruined her speech. Like she said: be humble, but you lowlife mma fans should be ashamed, hehe. And biggest MMA star is foreigner, cant say it about Hollywood. So many fighters from many exotic countries. And yet death in mma is very uncommon, but you know actors... (Ledger,Williams) fighting often with clinical depression (high stress etc.)
    On other hand Trump reacting to her speech via twitter...is it for real?, I don't live in USA but what i can say kinda childish behavior... and its your new president lol.
    Overall very good speech, really, thats why actors can be good politicians (Regan, John Paul II).
    If you are just now figuring out that our president-elect tweets like a 12 year old 4chan user, I have no idea what rock you have been under. It's pretty much exactly as you describe.

Deleted
    If you are just now figuring out that our president-elect tweets like a 12 year old 4chan user, I have no idea what rock you have been under. It's pretty much exactly as you describe.
    Yes i know but i don't live with Trump 24/7. I know he was twitting before weird stuff, but right now, after election he shouldn't do it. USA looks bad because of it and it's not rational...

Quote Originally Posted by drakus View Post
    Yes i know but i don't live with Trump 24/7. I know he was twitting before weird stuff, but right now, after election he shouldn't do it. USA looks bad because of it and it's not rational...
    I agree he should not do it. I disagree that we should care what other countries think of our leaders. I sort of doubt Germans really care what Americans think of Merkel, for example.

I think people taking the MMA part seriously are being ridiculous. It was a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    When rich, famous people have conservative views, they are successful, hardworking, talented, honest citizens. People to look up to.
    When rich, famous people have liberal views, they are arrogant and eccentric, part of an elite club, and use fame to crap on others. People who should shut up!

Oh, Trumpuppets, your brains are wonderful!
    I'll never get over the irony of Trump supporters calling people elitists.

Trump lives in a LITERAL gold house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I think Trump is an idiot, I also don't see why celebs seem to think they have some sort of authority on politics, or why the Golden Globes is the right time to talk about politics. They are actors not political analysts.

That being said I don't have a problem with people using their right to free speech.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    This is what the left does ... they take something like "We need to do something about illegal immigrants" and turn it into "THE REPUBLICANS WANT TO DEPORT EVERYONE WHO ISN'T WHITE!" and everyone claps and thinks "oh, boy! they sure are tolerant, decent people, those champions of humanity!" ... it's impossible to argue with the left because the left doesn't even know what the argument is -- they manipulate it into something you can't argue against.

"What? You hate love? Why do you hate love?"

"What? You hate poor people? Why do you hate poor people?"

"What? You think black people are more capable of taking care of themselves? Why are you a racist bigot?"

Etc etc.

Excellent video. I don't expect the liberals to learn from it though. They will most likely fascistically double down and screech till they have disenfranchised even more people. Neo-liberalism is truly a mental disease.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-14 at 12:32 AM.

Because you believed in me i dared to try!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think people taking the MMA part seriously are being ridiculous. It was a joke.

I'll never get over the irony of Trump supporters calling people elitists.

Trump lives in a LITERAL gold house.
    Even the most diehard Trump voters have to realize that, given the choice, their God Emperor would pick the Hollywood crowd over his own supporters any day of the week. His entire life has been spent trying to win the approval of the "cool kids" and it burns him up inside that they'll never accept him.