Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    One mom out of hundreds made a fuss about it. *sheesh*

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42836992&nid=148

SALT LAKE CITY — A family raised concerns this week over a “$5.00 Date” assignment from a class at Highland High School, prompting school district and state administrators to take action.

Jenn Oxborrow and her daughter, Lucy Mulligan, said Tuesday the assignment, issued in an adult roles and financial literacy class, exhibited gender bias.

“It’s just completely unfair, I think,” said Mulligan, junior at Highland.

The assignment to “go on a date” came with two handouts that included several “suggestions” for girls from boys and for boys from girls.

Among the listed suggestions for girls from boys are “don’t waste his money”, “be feminine and ladylike”, "don’t worry about your appearance the whole date”, and “if you think you’re too fat, etc., keep it to yourself.”

“That does give girls, I think, a really negative message about how they should feel about their bodies and themselves,” Mulligan said.

The listed suggestions for boys from girls include “don’t feel entitled to a kiss (or more)”, “dress for the occasion, like you care about her”, “don’t drive recklessly” and “don’t exaggerate to your friends about what happened on the date.”

“There’s so many power and control issues within this, it’s really dangerous,” said Oxborrow, who works as a therapist.

Salt Lake City School District spokesman Jason Olsen said Tuesday afternoon that the handouts had “definite gender bias,” but that the teacher was “mortified” and did not want to “cause hurt” with students.

Olsen said the handouts were not created by the teacher, but instead were pulled from a statewide database of classroom materials that teachers can reference on a variety of topics.

Utah State Office of Education spokesman Mark Peterson said the materials on the Utah Education Network database are user-submitted, and it was unclear how long the “$5.00 Date” handouts had been there or who had placed them online.

Peterson said the materials are submitted by licensed educators.

“Larry Flynt can’t come in and upload something, but a teacher from ‘X’ high school can,” he explained.

Peterson said the handouts were “clearly inappropriate” and had been removed from the database.

Oxborrow and Mulligan questioned why the assignment was part of the adult roles and financial literacy class in the first place, and they said they were glad the district and state responded so quickly.

“It’s just not OK,” Oxborrow said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Sorry, you writing "SJW" in the title made me dismiss you without hearing what you have to say. "Sad!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    the paper says its a list of SUGGESTIONS from the boys on the girls paper, and a list of SUGGESTIONS from the girls on the boys paper. people DO worry about the things on those papers, and they do the things the papers suggest to NOT do. thats why theyre there, as suggestions.
    only a killer would sugget you to kill someone. but ey, if someone suggest you to kill someone, "they are only suggestions". whut

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    There is not enough time in the world for financial literacy makes you wonder what in the hell these educators are doing.
    meh, with a really sharp class you could teach financial literacy in a week. Literacy just notes a basic understanding or working knowledge of the subject. It doesn't imply a detailed discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    meh, with a really sharp class you could teach financial literacy in a week. Literacy just notes a basic understanding or working knowledge of the subject. It doesn't imply a detailed discourse.
    Balancing check books, credit cards, loans, mortage, stocks and investments those are basics plenty of meat here all this was covered in that class 20 years ago when I was in high school. I am not from Utah maybe that's why I don't understand why they would run out of things to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    lel you are right, you said "any state" not any "country".

united states lol confirmed.
    I heard other countries no longer go on dates. The men line up and wait for a woman to pick one of them. Anything else would be sexists on the men's part. The US is behind the times on that one.

Are all SJW and PC people this mentally retarded? They all sound like they've been dropped on their head a few too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    the paper says its a list of SUGGESTIONS from the boys on the girls paper, and a list of SUGGESTIONS from the girls on the boys paper. people DO worry about the things on those papers, and they do the things the papers suggest to NOT do. thats why theyre there, as suggestions.
    I think it's funny that the therapist found gender bias in the student body. Like they knew they had been trying to remove all gender difference, teaching the kids that boys and girls are exactly the same in every way, yet when the kids get a chance to talk, you can see that boys still think and act differently than how the girls act and think.

Like when folks get shocked as studies where young boys tend to gravitate towards playing with vehicles and smashing stuff and young girls tend to gravitate towards dolls and nurturing stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, my issue is less about the underlying misogyny or whatever, and more that telling young girls to "be more ladylike" on a date is just mind-fuckingly stupid.

Be yourself on a date. If the guy doesn't like it, he can fuck right off, because he doesn't actually like you much. If you being you means eating a giant burger and seeing if you can snort milk out your nose, then be you. A guy who doesn't like you for you is never going to make you happy, and pretending to be someone you're not to make him happy is just as bad.

That doesn't mean you can't make concessions to what the other person likes here and there, but pretending you're someone you're not is just fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Balancing check books, credit cards, loans, mortage, stocks and investments those are basics plenty of meat here all this was covered in that class 20 years ago when I was in high school. I am not from Utah maybe that's why I don't understand why they would run out of things to talk about.
    I was in that class too and was bored out of my mind. There's only so many times you can write a fake check before you scream "I get it!!!"

Deleted
    What the fuck, this is gross in general, I'd be outraged over the whole thing frankly.

I think it's funny that the therapist found gender bias in the student body. Like they knew they had been trying to remove all gender difference, teaching the kids that boys and girls are exactly the same in every way, yet when the kids get a chance to talk, you can see that boys still think and act differently than how the girls act and think.

Like when folks get shocked as studies where young boys tend to gravitate towards playing with vehicles and smashing stuff and young girls tend to gravitate towards dolls and nurturing stuff.
    The human body as it is doesnt even knows what is a doll or a vehicle, wtf are you talking about? is all about what they teached from the start.

my god. wanna si that studys saying that boys tend to gravitate to "something".

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, my issue is less about the underlying misogyny or whatever, and more that telling young girls to "be more ladylike" on a date is just mind-fuckingly stupid.

Be yourself on a date. If the guy doesn't like it, he can fuck right off, because he doesn't actually like you much. If you being you means eating a giant burger and seeing if you can snort milk out your nose, then be you. A guy who doesn't like you for you is never going to make you happy, and pretending to be someone you're not to make him happy is just as bad.

That doesn't mean you can't make concessions to what the other person likes here and there, but pretending you're someone you're not is just fucking stupid.
    They didn't tell their dates to be more lady-like. They were asked what they would prefer in their dates. If all those kids said everything to each of their dates that they put on paper, they wouldn't have needed to talk about it. The answer would have been "nothing, we already talked about it and we're good".

There's lots of qualities I would like to see in my friends that I don't tell my friends. "I wish you were more like x", for example. I don't tell them. I accept them for who they are. But if someone anonymously asks me "what would you like your friends to do" or "what traits would you like to see in a friend", I would answer it. Doesn't mean I'm going to Trump around and shout everything I'm thinking all the time. I'm not sure how people can't see this or refuse to see this.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2017-01-13 at 03:34 PM.

I was in that class too and was bored out of my mind. There's only so many times you can write a fake check before you scream "I get it!!!"
    you had really horrible teachers, that was the best class ever for me and there was no fake check writing.

Seems like sound advice. I hope those young gentlemen meet some lovely, ladylike females on this assignment.

*Hopefully these gals have the courtesy to give the boys a goodnight kiss.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-01-13 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I heard other countries no longer go on dates. The men line up and wait for a woman to pick one of them. Anything else would be sexists on the men's part. The US is behind the times on that one.
    Sorry if i ofended you, but this is the first time i see a "date assignement" and is on the united states. and beside the "date assignement" those suggestion and the assignement requiring to follow those and make the other one to SIGN that you tried all of the above suggestions.
    haha this is amazing, im sending this in whatsapp to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    I think its bloody weird that a school is setting homework to go on a date, wtfs up with that?
    This is what I'm more worried about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Utah man, Utah.

There are still mormon sects out there that live isolated and marry off little girls. Several LEOs were found to have been covering up the practice just a few months ago. Check out their rather... interesting marriage laws.

Like I said, Utah.
    Because that is limited to Utah...there are no places on the entire Globe that don't have similar cultural ideals?

The suggestions were apparently from the class. The paper clearly says at the top "Suggestions for the Girls (from the Guys)" and "Suggestions for the Guys (from the Girls)."

What's on the paper is absolutely fine, common courtesy, nothing to get all pissed off about. The fact that the homework was to go on a date though is fucking crazy, and a totally outside the realm of the school's jurisdiction. No school has the right to dictate to a student, and therefore parent, that a child needs to go on a date...for a grade in the class. That's what's fucked up to me.

Oh no, young adults are being provided guidance about how to act in social situations with other people, instead of being told it's acceptable if they want to be a gender queer dragonkin who sexually identifies as a stapler!

The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.