Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Why are they pushing men to date?
    High school kids should be focus on getting an education not a teen pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The only thing I have an issue with is how this clearly excludes homosexuals. If this class were to prepare people for dating, money, etc... why not include them? Would they get alternate homework?

OT: Nothing misogynist about this at all, unless you are going to also state that its misandrist as well.
    It is Utah, that is why.

That is such a weird thing to give to kids... like what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    It is Utah, that is why.

That is such a weird thing to give to kids... like what the hell.
    I dunno, I kind of get it. Its about social skills, and its being done in a "safe place" ... read the guidelines. They are pretty cool. Don't expect anything, go in groups, etc.

I was actually surprised at how feminist the young boys are. Think about the first several points. They're teaching young girls to be more assertive and at the same time respectful of others. It also teaches them to stop fucking worrying so much about how they look, but also to speak well (apparently this is a feminine characteristic, which is actually misandrist), and to stick to the girl's standards of what she thinks is important and good in a date.

Overall, the list for girls was really good and any reasonable person could see this as helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    WTF is this? Both lists should just read: "Be respectful, don't expect anything, be yourself" Seriously wtf? You like feminine women? Find a feminine woman and date her, don't go around "suggesting" every girl to be feminine, or have a sense of humor, or to not talk about this or that topic. Seriously.
    I wouldn't be surprised if most females of the human species turn out to be feminine.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It literally says "Suggestions for the Girls FROM THE GUYS" obviously the things listed were things the guys found desirable.

So what exactly is the outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by Stasso View Post
    You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

You are a con artist of words and no help to any cause you mindless gender studies drone.
    It is condescending. Nobody should feel forced to act a certain way unless they want to act that way...they still should not be asked to do so. The assignment in the first place is in the wut-territory...

On the contrary, the guys weren't asked to be 'masculine'. Not word for word anyway. If I had gotten this kind of assignment, I'd just pretend it didn't exist. End of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if most females of the human species turn out to be feminine.
    It's a vague term though. What specifically does feminine mean to one person, what does it mean to the next. Most women don't even wear dresses on a daily basis. Skirts maybe, that's it. As one example. And why is the guy -expected- to pay...that's just archaic, both people can pay, and then there's no need to worry about if both eats all their food or not...

But yeah, this assignment is garbage to begin with...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    High school kids should be focus on getting an education not a teen pregnancy.
    That's what condoms and birth control are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    It's a vague term though. What specifically does feminine mean to one person, what does it mean to the next. Most women don't even wear dresses on a daily basis. Skirts maybe, that's it. As one example. And why is the guy -expected- to pay...that's just archaic, both people can pay, and then there's no need to worry about if both eats all their food or not...

But yeah, this assignment is garbage to begin with...
    Imagine that, the average young male might not want a female that is burping and being aggressive.

You really see what you want to see here. A crazy person might see some deep seated misogyny, (if you see that, you'd have to admit misandry exists here and in society just was much) while a sane person might see a class trying to give a safe space for dating. They tell each other to be respectful, dont expect anything, to go in groups etc. While the gender norms here might be a little wonky, its a net positive in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Imagine that, the average young male might not want a female that is burping and being aggressive.

You really see what you want to see here. A crazy person might see some deep seated misogyny, (if you see that, you'd have to admit misandry exists here and in society just was much) while a sane person might see a class trying to give a safe space for dating. They tell each other to be respectful, dont expect anything, to go in groups etc. While the gender norms here might be a little wonky, its a net positive in my opinion.
    Not many do in general...so why is it specifically femine? Why not just "don't be a pig".

I don't see deep seated woman-hating at all, I just see it as excessive and very poorly worded by people who shouldn't be setting the parameters really... The assignment shouldn't even exist.

Also, high school is not a safe space. Dating in general, and shouldn't be, unless you only want specific people to date, or want to push people not being genuine to actually get through their assignments.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-01-13 at 09:17 PM.

This is like the colleges that teach don't rape, why is a school teaching this stuff? The parents can teach them that stuff.

I hope this is an optional class.
    Last edited by Drekker17; 2017-01-13 at 10:15 PM.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Why the eye roll? You really think that if an LGBTQ student had put down as a suggestion "Go on a date with the gender of your choice" that it would have made it onto that assignment?
    I think the preoccupation with teaching to 2-3% of the population instead of 97-98% of the population deserves a roll of the eyes. Not everything applies to every individual all the time - this isn't actually a real problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    When you have a Mom complain about Tracers Pose showing her 'Booty' - and it gets changed by Blizzards OW BOSS.. is this so far fetched? I mean just reading this sounds ridiculous, the girls or boys paper - they both SCREAM "get triggered m8"

So to be frank here: Grow the fuck up and know this was created to TRIGGER people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    "Woman outraged by Utah dating homework triggers basement dweller into outrage"

The irony of the easily triggered being triggered by people being triggered.
    Well thought out and complete answer.

You get an A. Points deducted for punctuation.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Not many do in general...so why is it specifically femine? Why not just "don't be a pig".
    Do you genuinely find femininity hard to identify? While YMMV, the Wiki summary is pretty decent. A few snippets:
    While the defining characteristics of femininity are not universally identical, some patterns exist: gentleness, empathy, sensitivity, caring, sweetness, compassion, tolerance, nurturance, deference, and succorance are traits that have traditionally been cited as feminine.[9][10][11][29][30]
    In Western cultures, the ideal of feminine appearance has traditionally included long, flowing hair, clear skin, a narrow waist, and little or no body hair or facial hair.
    Obviously these are socially constructed markers, but it remains true that we're living in the Western social context. More men than not will prefer woman with long hair, a narrow waist, and a sweet demeanor.

So I read that the class is called Financial Literacy and Adult Roles...so now I find the assignment even dumber. In my high school there was a class called Relationships, as such I think an assignment like that would be appropriate, but in the class she's in I think it's dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think the preoccupation with teaching to 2-3% of the population instead of 97-98% of the population deserves a roll of the eyes. Not everything applies to every individual all the time - this isn't actually a real problem.
    I'd only be mad if the teacher required you had to go on dates with the opposite gender.
    X

Uh, this is weird, to say the least. I'd say the reaction was blind to happen.

What a waste of money in the public education system.

Schools should be educating students about Math, reading, writing, etc. not telling young girls how to behave on a date. Of course OP is more concerned about getting triggered over SJW than realizing that a schools purpose isn't to tell women how to behave on a date. It's like taking a shit in public, stepping in it and then complaining loudly that someone took a shit in public.

It is getting to the point that SJW is the idiots boogeyman, blaming everything and anything on SJW because they themselves can't think their way out of a wet paper bag.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-01-13 at 10:56 PM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do you genuinely find femininity hard to identify? While YMMV, the Wiki summary is pretty decent. A few snippets:

Obviously these are socially constructed markers, but it remains true that we're living in the Western social context. More men than not will prefer woman with long hair, a narrow waist, and a sweet demeanor.
    Well, that's their...'problem' then. People can like what they want to like, that's given, just don't expect everyone to conform to them, not even as 'pointers'.

Respect for other human beings though, that one is a solid pointer, and doesn't try to enforce anything specific to any gender.

I don't see deep seated woman-hating at all, I just see it as excessive and very poorly worded by people who shouldn't be setting the parameters really... The assignment shouldn't even exist.

Also, high school is not a safe space. Dating in general, and shouldn't be, unless you only want specific people to date, or want to push people not being genuine to actually get through their assignments.
    I don't know. I don;t think its crazy to just get people to try things out. Most of the suggestions are fine. I think someone said the class was life experience or something. It looks like to me they are trying to get people to put their toes in the water so to speak. An assignment that shows some awareness isn;t a bad thing. High schoolers date, so pretending like they don't is just silly. Thats like not wanting to teach sex education.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Schools should be educating students about Math, reading, writing, etc. not telling young girls how to behave on a date. Of course OP is more concerned about getting triggered over SJW than realizing that a schools purpose isn't to tell women how to behave on a date. It's like taking a shit in public, stepping in it and then complaining loudly that someone took a shit in public.

It is getting to the point that SJW is the idiots boogeyman, blaming everything and anything on SJW because they themselves can't think their way out of a wet paper bag.
    Or the assignment is about putting people in social situations, something that will open them to new things. Some people might not know how to date safely or respectfully. Some might be too shy. This just gives a common ground and a safer option. Learning social skills is part of what high school is about.