Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Of course they are considering it and taking it seriously. The problem is considering it and taking it seriously doesn't translate to you screaming "jump" and them replying with "how high". I would say now that Blizzard has ditched the concept of "yearly" expansions the odds have gone up. It doesn't mean next week we will have legacy servers but I do feel it went from a basic zero to a basic possibility.

If they really wanted to cash in on the concept they should bundle it into the next expansion which sells boxes and earns subs. I think with the games eventual and somewhat steady decline it only makes sense to makes to try to have a big cash grab over it and with it also possibility lure people from both sides of the line to play the other to retain subs if only for a few months longer than average. If the concept really works than they could bundled BC legacy into the fallowing expo and so on. If it doesn't than you drop the matter and got a solid reason to why.

But at the same time I wouldn't hold my breath either. Official legacy servers might only come about once the games full retail run has come to an end which could be a long ways off still.
    The last public comment on it, from Stockton, was "It's something we'd like to do, someday." Doesn't sound like it's a priority, or even at a business planning stage, even though some usual suspects translated that as "we're doing it". The same ones who were making smug comments about "we'll see when they announce them at Blizzcon". Which didn't happen - they wouldn't even allow comments about it in the Q&A's. I suspect they're as sick of it as a lot of us are.

But, it doesn't matter. Blizzard will do what they want, it's their game. At this point, these threads are the equivalent of a 6 year old tugging at their mommy's skirts going "Mom? Mom? Mommy? Mom? Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? Mommy?" for hours every day, to get a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    But I want official legacy. Not some private server. I want Blizzard to do an official legacy server.
    This shares my sentiments exactly.

Sure generic cola from the grocery store has sugar, calories, and fizz, but it's not quite the same thing in the end. A 2 liter bottle ends up half drunk, resting safely in the fridge until it expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Your signature has you openly admitting to engaging in illegal activities. You should be in jail.

Blizzard should NEVER release vanilla servers. Let's not go backwards, only forward.
    If you are a man, send the FBI here in Greece to put me in jail. If you have got balls, that is.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

1. There's a vanilla thread.

2. I thought Mods said that there will be no vanilla WOW threads outside of the megathread...

3. Mods, help with this situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Any desire to do something that you did in the past is nostalgia.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I regularly replay old games I've played and won many times over.
    But then why do people here keep using it as a bad thing?

If you want to get into that...

Objectively Fallout 4 is better in a lot of ways: more detail, better graphics, faster loading, compatibility with newer computer systems, more stable, more open-world, more sound and music (and of better quality). Of course, what you prefer depends on your experience and personal level of taste. I never played Fallout 2. I started with Fallout 3. When I tried 1 and 2 I didn't like them at all. If I'd played them when they first came out I'm sure I would regularly re-play them again the same as I do with games like Pool of Radiance, Mass Effect, Warcraft 1 & 2, etc.
    Holy shit, I fucking love Pool of Radiance. But dear god can it be so brutal trying to play it now. I also love the ME series but playing ME1 feels like it needs a severe graphics overhaul. ME2 is totally fine to me in apperance and play so I enjoy it the most of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    1. There's a vanilla thread.

2. I thought Mods said that there will be no vanilla WOW threads outside of the megathread...

3. Mods, help with this situation...
    1) Different topic

2) There is no Megathread.

3) The other thread's core existence was based on taboo topics. This topic focus's on Blizzard specifically, what they publically stated, and what they may or may not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Obsession is a hell of a drug.
    I should market that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maduk View Post
    Oh god, this is great.
    Hahah the noooooo button cracked me up

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Seriously... talking about private servers, and basically beating this dead "Legacy/vanilla/Nost" horse is still against the forum rules, isn't it? Enough is enough.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Holy shit, I fucking love Pool of Radiance. But dear god can it be so brutal trying to play it now. I also love the ME series but playing ME1 feels like it needs a severe graphics overhaul. ME2 is totally fine to me in apperance and play so I enjoy it the most of the 3.
    If you like Pool of Radiance, I'd recommend Might and Magic. The first 3 were excellent, IMO, with 3 being the highlight. 4 and 5 were OK, 6 degraded into 3D, then it got worse, and the series went bankrupt :P

Yes. I would call stealing illegal, wouldn't you?

Openly playing on servers with assets that they don't own is called stealing.
    I don't think they are actually "stealing" something by just playing on the servers. The actual people who made the servers and stuff would be the ones "stealing" the IP of Blizzard. People playing on the servers are just playing this version illegally, which is still different from stealing, the most Blizz would ever do is they could ban your main account if they wanted to and they could prove your main account and the private server one.

I still wouldn't call the player stealing just by playing the game

15+ Year Old Account
    Your signature has you openly admitting to engaging in illegal activities. You should be in jail.

Blizzard should NEVER release vanilla servers. Let's not go backwards, only forward.
    Playing on Nost isn't against the law. Hosting a server infringes on copyright laws. There's all kinds of steps required before anyone even goes to court, let alone jail. But hosting it in a country such as Russia means your laws aren't enforceable. Nost still sucks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Wrong on so many levels...

First, "doing something we did in the past" is absolutely not the definition of nostalgia. Or it would mean that breathing is nostalgia, walking is nostalgia and watching TV is nostalgia, which would be completely nonsensical.
    Nostalgia is about liking something only because of the fact we liked it in the past. If you genuinely like something regardless of having doing so in the past, it's not nostalgia, it's just something you like, duh.
    I like coffee, it's not because my first coffee was good, it's just because I fucking like the taste. I like The Lord of the Ring, it's not because of the misty-eyed rememberance about when I read it when I was young, it's because I love fantasy and well-built world and so on.
    I like listening some musics that aren't especially good because I listened them when I was a child : THESE are nostalgia.

So if I like Vanilla because it reminds me of my first time playing WoW, it's nostalgia. If I like Vanilla because I like the design, it's not.

The problem with all the Vanilla discussions is the complete unability by a bunch of people (and I'm staying polite) to understand what nostalgia is and when it applies, and instead using it as a buzzword allowing them to switch of their brain and spam it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Seriously... talking about private servers, and basically beating this dead "Legacy/vanilla/Nost" horse is still against the forum rules, isn't it? Enough is enough.
    I hope there is someone who opens a thread about Vanilla server for each and every time a fucktard drooled "BUH NOSTALGIA !" or "ROSE-TINTED GLASSES DUUUR !" on the forums.
    Just for the kicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    But then why do people here keep using it as a bad thing?
    Well, part of the problem is that those of us that never played in classic (I started in 3.3) can't understand people who want it back. Nostalgia is a powerful thing and it isn't necessarily bad but it does whitewash the past. I've tried classic and I didn't like it because I have experienced what is, objectively, a more fluid and stable game in retail World of Warcraft (subjective "it's good" aside). So when people come up against those they don't understand, they throw out "nostalgia".

To be fair, it is nostalgia that brings people to want to experience classic again. The problem is, how expensive is it really for Blizzard to do and is it worth it for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Pool of Radiance (the gold box game), can be won in an hour or two, it's so easy. Just clear slums, then Kuto's Well, the Library, Podol Plaza, the graveyard, then it should unlock the fight through to the castle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, part of the problem is that those of us that never played in classic (I started in 3.3) can't understand people who want it back. Nostalgia is a powerful thing and it isn't necessarily bad but it does whitewash the past. I've tried classic and I didn't like it because I have experienced what is, objectively, a more fluid and stable game in retail World of Warcraft (subjective "it's good" aside). So when people come up against those they don't understand, they throw out "nostalgia".

To be fair, it is nostalgia that brings people to want to experience classic again. The problem is, how expensive is it really for Blizzard to do and is it worth it for them?

Pool of Radiance (the gold box game), can be won in an hour or two, it's so easy. Just clear slums, then Kuto's Well, the Library, Podol Plaza, the graveyard, then it should unlock the fight through to the castle.
    I started at the very beginning of 3.0, but I felt in love with the game again when I was able to put my hands on earlier version of the game. It's not a matter of nostalgia in all cases. The game was quite simply another game.

There's no doubt that the game is more polished today than back then, but let's not pretend that Vanilla was worse on all accounts. There's an interest to try this even without living it when it happened.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Playing on Nost isn't against the law. Hosting a server infringes on copyright laws. There's all kinds of steps required before anyone even goes to court, let alone jail. But hosting it in a country such as Russia means your laws aren't enforceable. Nost still sucks.
    Yes, but I don't know if the modified client is against the law.

But hosting it in a country such as Russia means your laws aren't enforceable.
    Yes, Russia is quite an asshole in this regard.

Illegal? *snort*. Really?

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I regularly replay old games I've played and won many times over.
    It's not a bad thing at all - and it's not even nostalgia, it's just enjoying it, it's the same reason we buy movies and music, it's something we like to return to. I have a folder of old PC and Mac games I'd love to revisit, but I don't have the time to track down emulators and such, or set up an old machine to run them. (I have a Mac Cube in storage for that, exactly, but - time and money...)

The issue here isn't looking down at people who want to return to the original game, good or bad, it's the tantrums and inability to accept "no" from a specific group of people that drives these threads. Certain suspects cry all the time about "anti-vanilla' attitudes, when that is a minute, obscure part of the discussion - the issues have been Blizzard saying it's too much work, and too expensive, and certain suspects throwing tantrums and making up fairy tales to rebut that - and now concocting "promises" when none were made - this is just impatience and a furthering of their agenda, dressed up in different paint. Their agenda is obvious, and it's not surprising at all they've started the drumbeat again with this thread, now that the other thread was (mercifully) killed. And, I suspect the same will happen to this one, because the tired old arguments are being hauled out, yet again, and the same circular arguments being started, by the same people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Wrong on so many levels...

First, "doing something we did in the past" is absolutely not the definition of nostalgia. Or it would mean that breathing is nostalgia, walking is nostalgia and watching TV is nostalgia, which would be completely nonsensical.
    Nostalgia is about liking something only because of the fact we liked it in the past. If you genuinely like something regardless of having doing so in the past, it's not nostalgia, it's just something you like, duh.
    I like coffee, it's not because my first coffee was good, it's just because I fucking like the taste. I like The Lord of the Ring, it's not because of the misty-eyed rememberance about when I read it when I was young, it's because I love fantasy and well-built world and so on.
    I like listening some musics that aren't especially good because I listened them when I was a child : THESE are nostalgia.

So if I like Vanilla because it reminds me of my first time playing WoW, it's nostalgia. If I like Vanilla because I like the design, it's not.

The problem with all the Vanilla discussions is the complete unability by a bunch of people (and I'm staying polite) to understand what nostalgia is and when it applies, and instead using it as a buzzword allowing them to switch of their brain and spam it.
    I am not talking about having coffee, which is, by the nature of needing to eat and drink to survive, a repetitive event with no end. Your comparison is ridiculous.

Nostalgia is the wistful/sentimental feelings you get when you think about a past event, such as where you grew up, old friends, games you played as child, devices/technology no longer available, even something as simple as gas prices. Sometimes nostalgia can be satisfied by playing those old games, getting out those old things, or visiting places you've been in the past.

Any desire to do something again from your past, not a necessarily repetitive event (like breathing, seriously??), is based on nostalgic feelings and desire. That's not a bad thing. It is human nature to romanticize the past and remember it as better than it was, and visiting it again can be therapeutic and a good way to relieve stress (depending).

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Thanks for regurgitating one of the least compelling pro-Legacy circlejerks from the megathread, Vineri. I'm surprised it took you nearly two weeks to get around to it.

To quote myself from the thread during one of the seven-hundred-thirty-six thousand times it was mentioned there: Blizzard's words are not wholesale promises and to latch onto them and try to hold them accountable for things which they haven't said is borderline psycho ex-girlfriend. But really, that's a pretty apt analogy for pro-Legacy as a whole. Just a crazy group of ex-WoW players who can't accept their game has changed. If only WoW had Dr. Phil, maybe we could work things out in front of a live audience.

I anxiously await your multi-colored word-by-word breakdown.
    For all the complaining you did in the megathread, it didn't take you long to jump into this one.

I don't care either way about private/legacy/whatever servers. But it cracks me up when each side accuses the other of going in circles, particularly when it's the same people copy+pasting the same arguments with slight variations.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    1) Different topic

2) There is no Megathread.

3) The other thread's core existence was based on taboo topics. This topic focus's on Blizzard specifically, what they publically stated, and what they may or may not do.
    Meh, I could see the vanilla server's come at a WAY later date. Maybe for when we're at around WOW's last years LORE wise...

But, as of now. Idk, blizzard seems to want to focus on legion as of now. Maybe they are doing something with it, and they want it to be a surprise. No one knows. And it's all about waiting.

Either way, I won't play vanilla. Not ever...again.