10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So one more month til the fan fest or w/e

1 more month and maybe blue mage.....
    And/or dancer

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started the other day, I haven't played since 2.0. Have a 50, everything else is 20-30. I am so freaking lost on what to do haha, so much to do and I stopped playing in the middle of crafting apparently.. good grief. It is a mess getting back into.

What i barely see anyone talking about is wether we will get new abilitiesand spells for already existing jobs.
    Now that they are merging a fair amount, i don't see why not, but there's just been, zero talk about it.

Finally an adjust glasses emote, clearly Yoshi has patrician tastes and understands megane girls are love, megane girls are life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Could already adjust your glasses if you were sch/smn =P

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Games should most certainly have both gameplay and story.
    Not always the case, Tetris is by far the most played game on the planet and that doesn't have a shred of story. Some of the most sucessful gaming franchieses by far are built on little to no plot at all - games like Pokemon, Mario and Minecraft.

Gameplay and story however should be one and the same. You are told the story through gameplay and you learn who the characters are through their gameplay. A game Devs priority should always be gameplay, and any story should be there to serve it.

If your games mechanics and your game story are at odds with each other you end up with a tattered mess of plot holes at best, or something completely none-sensical at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Dark Souls technically has a good story but it's so vague and difficult to piece together that most people aren't going to figure out what is actually going on.
    You don't need to figure out exactly whats going on to get the gyst of it however. I brought it up as an example since the story of Dark Souls is told almost entirely through it's world environments and it's items, then is reinforced by the games mechanics. Nothing that happens in the story breaks the games own internal rules. Nothing the player does within the rules breaks the games story. Thats why I praised it so highly, they've got mechanics and story in harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    ....Doom and Dark Souls are being cited as high examples of storytelling in gaming and RPGs are almost always abysmal? Am I taking CRAZY PILLS?!
    Doomguy is characterised extremely well through his gameplay alone. You don't need to be told how aggressively he doesn't give a shit, because you can see how aggressively he doesn't give a shit through his gameplay. You don't need to be told that Demons are absolutely terrified by him, you can see that they are during the Glory Kill animations. Admitedly he's not the most complex of characters, but it's undenyable that he's far more expressive with a lot less than most video game protagonists.

Most RPG's on the other hand have bad storytelling because it's storytelling. You're stopped from playing the game to be told more of the story. You are shown the story through cutscenes andget to know the characters through their diologue. It's entirely seperate from both the gameplay and the games mechanics, as though it takes place in it's own little bubble divorced from the rest of the game. If your story and your game are completely separate why not just make them completely separate to begin with? Turn the story into a novel and the gameplay into a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    And/or dancer
    And/or Samurai

And/or FREELANCER (joke)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Dumb movie reference aside... it also made little sense.

I always thought it would lead to a huge underground dungeon/raid type environment like Uldaman. It only makes sense. Uldum ended up being an open-top more desert type place and why? Why didn't we know years ago? Flight has been in WoW's story for so much longer, how easy it would have been for Brann or someone else to just fly over and say "oh look, there's a whole other race of people here! And a wind place! Wow!"

Nope. Or, you know, someone could have taken a boat around the coast. -.-
    Oh, but don't you remember? The whole zone was magically cloaked until the Cataclysm broke it. So it's totally believable. Really. Honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    What i barely see anyone talking about is wether we will get new abilitiesand spells for already existing jobs.
    Now that they are merging a fair amount, i don't see why not, but there's just been, zero talk about it.
    So long as they get rid of Wanderer's Minuet, or add in a mobility-based song as an alternative (unlocks WM-only shots and retains autoshots, but WM-only shots have their damage brought in-line with the other shots), I'm happy. Otherwise, I'll prolly main Red Mage or Monk in Stormblood.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, the feels. Spoilers for the end of ARR/strong langage because screw this I'm emotional:

So I just saw what transpired at Ul'dah. Nothing can beat Raubhan slaying the little shit in half. Fucking Raubhan. My only regret is that he did not slay the other and the fucking traitor But everything else has been so dark, it's bordering on the Red Wedding. I've barely stepped in Ishgard, where I'm supposed to speak to the Fortemps' servant. And damn that music with the light touch of piano. Seriously, stop screwing with my emotions, stupid game.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Could already adjust your glasses if you were sch/smn =P
    But what about us NIN's that want to be Log Horizon tier, WHAT THEN?!?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    But what about us NIN's that want to be Log Horizon tier, WHAT THEN?!?
    You're not cool enough...clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Oh god, the feels. Spoilers for the end of ARR/strong langage because screw this I'm emotional:

So I just saw what transpired at Ul'dah. Nothing can beat Raubhan slaying the little shit in half. Fucking Raubhan. My only regret is that he did not slay the other and the fucking traitor But everything else has been so dark, it's bordering on the Red Wedding. I've barely stepped in Ishgard, where I'm supposed to speak to the Fortemps' servant. And damn that music with the light touch of piano. Seriously, stop screwing with my emotions, stupid game.
    dont forget to explore the city for the 3 new jobs, two have guilds but one involves finding a back alley with a dead body in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    So long as they get rid of Wanderer's Minuet, or add in a mobility-based song as an alternative (unlocks WM-only shots and retains autoshots, but WM-only shots have their damage brought in-line with the other shots), I'm happy. Otherwise, I'll prolly main Red Mage or Monk in Stormblood.
    I have to say that I like it. Not sure how big the damage numbers vary for a close to perfect timed bard with his minuet compared to other classes but to me this is more like a arcane-mage-burst phase. Something you look forward to do as long as possible which means normally you will delay your big shots CDs quite a bit, you will have to know about boss mechanics and your damage-cooldowns to time it as fitting as possible.

I only got stressed at first, when I tried to really do the perfect rotation nonstop (having seen most encounters for the first time that was quite terrible). That was the main reason I downloaded ACP, really wanted to see how bad I did when I just played comfy instead of pushing for 100%. For now since I haven't done anything outside of duty-finder it's more than enough to me. Not sure about the serious stuff though.

I am really interested to see what they do in this announced combat revamp.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    dont forget to explore the city for the 3 new jobs, two have guilds but one involves finding a back alley with a dead body in it.
    They changed it so that the quests appear on the map now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I have to say that I like it. Not sure how big the damage numbers vary for a close to perfect timed bard with his minuet compared to other classes but to me this is more like a arcane-mage-burst phase. Something you look forward to do as long as possible which means normally you will delay your big shots CDs quite a bit, you will have to know about boss mechanics and your damage-cooldowns to time it as fitting as possible.

I only got stressed at first, when I tried to really do the perfect rotation nonstop (having seen most encounters for the first time that was quite terrible). That was the main reason I downloaded ACP, really wanted to see how bad I did when I just played comfy instead of pushing for 100%. For now since I haven't done anything outside of duty-finder it's more than enough to me. Not sure about the serious stuff though.

I am really interested to see what they do in this announced combat revamp.
    My entire issue with WM is thematic. If I wanted to play a turret caster, I could have rolled BLM and gotten better numbers for my trouble. The appeal of BRD was trading some damage for mobility in fights and songs to help my teammates. I don't care about how much more damage I do with WM on, I hate it. It ruined the entire feel of the Job for me because it turned an agile, nimble archer into a boring turret-caster with worse numbers than Black Mages (but better numbers than Machinists, who are also saddled with turret-casting mechanics, because Bards aren't at the mercy of RNG procs).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Wanderers Minuet has had a lot of flak over the last 2 years and they did mention they want to "redesign" Bards so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    My opinions are wrong?
    Taking that out of context. My response was in regards to how you stated video games are not the appropriate place to tell a story, when several successful games exist that do just that. This game being one of them, whether you like the story is obviously subjective. I called it your opinion when you actually just made a statement. Opinions can't be wrong, but they can be so far removed from reality as to be "wrong" or at the very least disregarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Gameplay and story however should be one and the same. You are told the story through gameplay and you learn who the characters are through their gameplay. A game Devs priority should always be gameplay, and any story should be there to serve it.

If your games mechanics and your game story are at odds with each other you end up with a tattered mess of plot holes at best, or something completely none-sensical at worst.

Doomguy is characterised extremely well through his gameplay alone. You don't need to be told how aggressively he doesn't give a shit, because you can see how aggressively he doesn't give a shit through his gameplay. You don't need to be told that Demons are absolutely terrified by him, you can see that they are during the Glory Kill animations. Admitedly he's not the most complex of characters, but it's undenyable that he's far more expressive with a lot less than most video game protagonists.

Most RPG's on the other hand have bad storytelling because it's storytelling. You're stopped from playing the game to be told more of the story. You are shown the story through cutscenes andget to know the characters through their diologue. It's entirely seperate from both the gameplay and the games mechanics, as though it takes place in it's own little bubble divorced from the rest of the game. If your story and your game are completely separate why not just make them completely separate to begin with? Turn the story into a novel and the gameplay into a game.
    Your opinion and expectations differ too much from mine for us to agree on this I think. Nothing wrong with that though. I enjoy the type of games you're talking about, but also enjoy the kind you seem to want to change.

Doom is not even CLOSE to a story telling game. Having enough context to make what you're doing have some semblance of cohesion doesn't mean it tells a story. I'd rank DOOM up there with Super Mario Bros in level of story complexity and you stated Mario has no story.

And it's called story telling because you're being TOLD the story. It can't be bad story telling just because it's storyTELLING... you just want to experience it differently. The writers wrote a specific story, with specific actions and deaths and rescues and sometimes cringeworthy moments that they want you to see and experience exactly as they wrote them. Final Fantasy has ALWAYS been about playing the game using it's game mechanics and moving along so you could advance the plot. If you came across an area that allowed you to go off and explore, cool, but the core game was still ultimately about moving from plot point A to plot point B while using the game mechanics to get you there. FFXIV is no different. Just because YOU don't like the story, that doesn't mean the game should change to cater to your whims. There are plenty of people, me included obviously, that like it just the way it is. Stop trying to make Final Fantasy XIV into a game that's NOT Final Fantasy.

OT: Hoping for Blue Mage in the reveal, I don't care what role it is.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Oh, but don't you remember? The whole zone was magically cloaked until the Cataclysm broke it. So it's totally believable. Really. Honest.
    Oh right! Now I remember!

Silly me, random magic crap that is never again mentioned or even explained is just dumb. =|
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    On a more light hearted but FF related note.
    https://twitter.com/h__mutsu/status/745950134815457280