Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Nonsense, the code is already out there. Even if they had to start from scratch, private servers have already coded everything upto AQ, and are ready to release AQ already, this has been done by volunteers for no money. I'm sure Blizzard could either ask them for it, or have their own highly trained and paid developers do it for them.
    No, the code is out there for the hacked up version of the client they used. All these servers are based off the leaked beta client in Vanilla. So that's like saying oh, the game uses a sql database so you should just be able integrate that into the Oracle database that Blizzard uses. Plug and play right? Plus all the server architecture and hardware is obviously the same? Battle.net integration? All that was hand coded and the only similarity is the interface in the game. Not to mention they could embed poisonous database records allowing Nost admins to have access and/or create things they normally wouldn't be able to. So no. You aren't going to use the hackjob server from Nostralius. Blizzard is a major corporation, not some developer coding from their basement using bluehost.com to host their server.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You are under the incredibly misinformed opinion that working on emulated version of WoW is anything like working on the retail version of the game. They don't even use the same database. It's apples to oranges. Here's Chilton's response on this subject:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Schreier: Don’t the {redacted} people have that data?

Chilton: No, they don’t actually. So what they did is went back and reverse-engineered it. They spent countless hours researching on YouTube, looking at, ‘OK how many hit points do you think that monster has, I think I saw a video that showed it with, you know, 2,152 hit points, so that’s the number of hit points we’re gonna give it.’ And they’re just kinda guessing and approximating on a lot of stuff. Which is cool, and they did an amazing job of making it feel like a very authentic experience. But ultimately the way they implement their data is in no way similar to the way we do it. So it’s not like we can even take that data and put it in the game, because they actually aren’t even really compatible - they have a completely different approach to creating content.
    In any case, this is getting dangerously close to discussing topics which we aren't even allowed to mention around here. But please realize the implementation of Blizzard-sanctioned Legacy is not that simple and it's borderline insulting to your cause to pretend that it is.
    So if they are really authentic, and play the same, what exactly is the problem?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You are under the incredibly misinformed opinion that working on emulated version of WoW is anything like working on the retail version of the game. They don't even use the same database. It's apples to oranges. Here's Chilton's response on this subject:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Schreier: Don’t the {redacted} people have that data?

Chilton: No, they don’t actually. So what they did is went back and reverse-engineered it. They spent countless hours researching on YouTube, looking at, ‘OK how many hit points do you think that monster has, I think I saw a video that showed it with, you know, 2,152 hit points, so that’s the number of hit points we’re gonna give it.’ And they’re just kinda guessing and approximating on a lot of stuff. Which is cool, and they did an amazing job of making it feel like a very authentic experience. But ultimately the way they implement their data is in no way similar to the way we do it. So it’s not like we can even take that data and put it in the game, because they actually aren’t even really compatible - they have a completely different approach to creating content.

In any case, this is getting dangerously close to discussing topics which we aren't even allowed to mention around here. But please realize the implementation of Blizzard-sanctioned Legacy is not that simple and it's borderline insulting to your cause to pretend that it is.
    WoWhead was probably their major source of numbers data.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Uhh except for the fact that everybody who plays Vanilla WoW right now accepts that the game starts as it did at launch and follows the same rough timeline as Vanilla WoW did.

Nobody is seriously calling for the game to stop when they reached BWL.

Maybe they should employ some of the guys who've already made a totally working Vanilla game, might be a smart idea and save them a lot of time before facing the IMPOSSIBLE task of making Vanilla WoW work.
    This is the ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    IF were doing legacy I want BC and MoP back. You're fine if we skip vanilla correct?
    If you find enough interest in TBC and MoP servers then sure, that'd be cool to see. However, right now all I know is there's a huge, huge demand for Vanilla servers and blizzard are actively discussing it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    I don't follow what you're saying... How is "moving forward" not developing new content?
    You, and a lot of people, argue that Blizzard should focus on new content rather than old, instead of assigning developers to maintain Legacy content. That was what my comment was referring to. Sorry if I mistook what you were trying to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    This is the ideology.
    Experience with emulation software does not necessarily guarantee competence with the legacy code that Blizzard would want to use.

Two programs: one done in C++ and another done in some other development environment may do exactly the same thing but that doesn't mean that developers on one could competently manage the other.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

So if they are really authentic, and play the same, what exactly is the problem?
    The fact that it's an emulated version of the game and there's no way they'd ever bother trying to integrate emulated code into Battle.net due to the innumerable security risks it poses? They have the original source, too. I literally just said this. How is this not getting through to you?

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Experience with emulation software does not necessarily guarantee competence with the legacy code that Blizzard would want to use.

Two programs: one done in C++ and another done in some other development environment may do exactly the same thing but that doesn't mean that developers on one could competently manage the other.
    Software compilers are more readily avaiable. It's unclear what your complaint is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Software compilers are more readily avaiable. It's unclear what your complaint is.
    It's not a complaint. It's a statement of fact. And you should better inform yourself about what a compiler actually does.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Are you actually suggesting that the difference between what Blizzard does on retail WoW is able to be compiled from the database emulated private servers use? Like, I know you might not be a programmer but the very fact that you think something like this is even possible is a bit perplexing.

Except they're not authentic. At all.

If you find enough interest in TBC and MoP servers then sure, that'd be cool to see. However, right now all I know is there's a huge, huge demand for Vanilla servers and blizzard are actively discussing it
    How do you gauge huge? What percent of the playerbase? How many people? Where is the threshold from "Medium demand" to "Huge demand?"

By the time this comes out now Pantheon will probably of launched sadly. Was pretty excited though, but their lack of communication not with just us, but Nost also it seems has me thinking they just screwed with everyone. Some of you guys still give them money even after doing scumbag things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Oh, how do you know there is a quote " huge, huge demand" for people who want to pay for a vanila server? Please, do link the sources showing this as I am curious to read them.
    How about the fact that there's private servers out there now struggling to keep up with the demand and facing 4 hour queues to even log into them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except they're not authentic. At all.
    Except they are totally authentic, even Chilton above admitted that.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's not a complaint. It's a statement of fact. And you should better inform yourself about what a compiler actually does.
    C++ : very efficient.
    Java : Moderate efficiency.

Java simply has a huge amount of overhead. C++ gets to the core and runs FAST.

C++ does it better. Vanilla was C++.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    By the time this comes out now Pantheon will probably of launched sadly. Was pretty excited though, but their lack of communication not with just us, but -snip- also it seems has me thinking they just screwed with everyone. Some of you guys still give them money even after doing scumbag things like this.
    Yeah I'm sure this kickstarted MMO is totally different from the rest of the so called "wow killers" or kickstarted ones right? Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah I'm sure this kickstarted MMO is totally different from the rest of the so called "wow killers" or kickstarted ones right? Oh wait.
    I'm sure you can't find one source anywhere that has claimed this MMO to be that. Not only that, but not sure how you got that out of my comment to begin with.

Except they are totally authentic, even Chilton above admitted that.
    Are you intentionally ignoring the fact that emulated Blizzard-sanctioned Legacy won't happen just to continuously harp on about the sanctity of private realms? Hello?

You're literally using information from the developer themselves to support an opinion which is directly antithetical to their actual position. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trolling. But I really can't tell at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    I'm sure you can't find one source anywhere that has claimed this MMO to be that. Not only that, but not sure how you got that out of my comment to begin with.
    Meh was more in reference to there is always a minority these days going on about it. That bit wasn't aimed at you personally dude. Little rant on my part there basically. But again I don't see any crowdfunded project going well especially MMOs recently. I mean I wish them luck and I support their ideas of group focused content but meh I just don't see anything special in it personally.