Thread: Lack of Ranged?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    With MoP monks didn't get much attention at first, since only pandas could be it. But when that got changed OMG people was rolling them, and many for pvp.
    Monks kinda got screwed in terms of endgame representation because they were put in as a non-Hero class. The original idea was to let them start at a high level a la DKs and DHs, but the devs realized how much the pandaren starting zone themed around the monk class (down to beginning your training in a monastery by an old monk) so they made it a level 1 class, which hurt its representation due to the level grind's numerous problems at the time coupled with a bit of a rollercoaster in performance for all three specs.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    This. It's annoying to play a pure DPS class and be the guy who can't help get a group going but they keep marrying healing and ranged dps specs. Even with druid it's much better to combine cat + bear than balance + bear since cat and bear can share gear, consumables and such.
    Really?

Bear:
    Versatility; Mastery; Haste with Crit Bottom.
    Consumables: Flask of Ten Thousand Scars, Unbending Potion, Seed-Battered Fish Plate.

Feral:
    Mastery; Critical Strike; Versatility with Haste bottom.
    Consumables: Flask of the Seventh Demon, Potion of the Old War, Nightborne Delicacy Platter.

Time for a new pew pew class

Mech tinker class next?

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Perhaps its just my experience, but like since forever there have always been more people playing melee classes - and that has just increased with the amount of new melee classes being introduced.
    I vanilla people joked around with "world of rogue craft" because rogues was OP in pvp, and therefore many people played them.
    In BC where hordes could get paladins and alliance have shamans, all of a sudden many people was playing ret (and it was face roll good/easy).
    Wotlk we got tons of DKs and in periods of being OP many people play them.

With MoP monks didn't get much attention at first, since only pandas could be it. But when that got changed OMG people was rolling them, and many for pvp.

Now in Legion many play DH because of "omgimillidan!" And ofcause it is the new class. Many play monks now as they are OP in pvp, and 7.1.5 did do the same to DH.. OP.

When people ask in /1 (and yes they do..) about what class is the strongest for pvp, people say DH/monk/FDK which all are melee.
    All new players to the game roles OP classes - and since top 3 is melee , guess what? We get more people playing melee..
    So why people play melee is partly because of bad balancing.
    This was never true; not in the beta, not on live.

I dunno why but I reckon Warden will be next which means... another Melee.
    You will probably disagree but as it stands everyone has a class hall.. OH well, lookie here at Isle of Watchers where Wardens are training and the Vault of Wardens and they can't possibly fix it and kick the demons out after Legion noooo... Not been the lore since TBC, happened to be hiding in the lore as much as death knights either... and much more.
    Anyway.
    Wardens could be interesting, would totally lack a ranged. Kinda. I guess you could throw that chakram and then strike a pose in the meantime, like boomarang?

On the flipside. Do a Ranged/Healer hero class.
    And it being like a Witch doctor, yes similar to Diablo but the difference is trolls and stuff and the whole voodoo scene totally fits in better with it. Not to mention, this kinda vein was in there before 2012.
    Anyway, totally would be cool so they use like the theme of tiki masks or dolls to gather health then heal others by damaging themselves, or something of siphoning and redirecting health around to make it a quite a different experience.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-01-14 at 01:21 AM.

I cant see Wardens being a class unless blizz can really get creative to stop it from looking like a rogue/Demon Hunter hybrid. Though lorewise it would make perfect sense Gameplay wise it wouldnt.

As for a new range class seeing the Gnome leaders mech suit during the Broken shore questline and seeing Gallywix kick ass in his mech suit in the Demon invasion opens up such a possibility for a mech suited class that only gnomes and goblins can be.

But Blizz would never create a class that only 2 races can be........

All three new classes they've added are melees, doesn't surprise me there are way more melee than ranged. They need to add new classes that can do ranged dps, or change existing specs into ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by gsfgsjjkg View Post
    I cant see Wardens being a class unless blizz can really get creative to stop it from looking like a rogue/Demon Hunter hybrid. Though lorewise it would make perfect sense Gameplay wise it wouldnt.

As for a new range class seeing the Gnome leaders mech suit during the Broken shore questline and seeing Gallywix kick ass in his mech suit in the Demon invasion opens up such a possibility for a mech suited class that only gnomes and goblins can be.

It's not like they didn't add Draenei into the mix for The Burning Crusade out of thin air, oh wait they did.

Nope, never

Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    Nope, never
    I thought that way about demon hunters but never underestimate the power of lack of ideas!

I guess sacasm doesnt carry over too well online.
    To be fair, they have a lot of monopoly to add to the gameplay. They denied Monks and Demon Hunters for a while in terms of World of Warcraft and added them. Gameplay for WoW Demon Hunters are kinda unique now but people kept seeing Demon Hunters for WoW as the ones in Diablo and that idea did clash with WoW hunters.

Draenei was a prime example of a complete non-existent component being added when funnily it was going to be Pandaren then went nope.
    They can add anything, for years people assumed Illidan is dead, from 2008 i think Black Temple came and now 8 years later he's not quite dead. World is their oyster.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-01-14 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    To be fair, they have a lot of monopoly to add to the gameplay. They denied Monks and Demon Hunters for a while in terms of World of Warcraft and added them. Gameplay they are kinda unique now but people kept seeing Demon Hunters for WoW as the ones in Diablo and it that idea did clash with WoW hunters.

Draenei was a prime example of a complete non-existent component being added when funnily it was going to be Pandaren then went nope.
    They can add anything, for years people assumed Illidan is dead, from 2008 i think Black Temple came and now 8 years later he's not quite dead. World is their oyster.
    Thing is if they added Wardens 2 or 3 xpacs ago it wouldve worked fine but now there is just too many melee leather classes and they would need to make the warden class stick out otherwise it would really be a monk/rogue/DH hybrid that only roleplayers would be interested in.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Uhm, I can't answer that, for in all the tiers I've played, there's never been a lack of ranged.
    When did you stop raiding? Dragon Soul?

Ranged has been in high demand for atleast two expansions now and for Mythic raiding there simply isnt enough supply of them and that was the norm in WoD and continues to be the norm in Legion thanks to the 20 man requirement.

Adding more ranged classes doesnt fix the issue though. Much like adding new tanks never actually fixes the lack of tanks issue. It simply distributes that current role across more specs.

Sure, you get the FOTM rerollers on things like Death Knights and Demon Hunters to see how they played, but it never actually adds a meaningful amount to those melee roles.

The specs need to be made to be attractive and the role needs to be fun. During MoP, melee was downright loathed due to mechanics being cancerous for them. THe answer? Make melee brain dead and that really hasnt changed to much. WoD saw that ranged dealt with mechanics and going further along, Blizzard removed the ability for many of them to do that as well as DPS, through removing many on the move abilities.

Now its the norm that Melee is frowned upon over ranged, creating a higher demand.

Adding classes isnt the answer, fixing the way melee and ranged DPS do their jobs and handle mechanics is. Couple that with some of the ranged DPS specs being flat out terrible for damage its not hard to see why they are in such high demand.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2017-01-14 at 02:02 AM.

Thing is if they added Wardens 2 or 3 xpacs ago it wouldve worked fine but now there is just too many melee leather classes and they would need to make the warden class stick out otherwise it would really be a monk/rogue/DH hybrid that only roleplayers would be interested in.
    People will play what's given them really. Once upon time people had to roll Orc for Shaman and Human for Paladin and that's all we got.
    Rogues at one time weren't pirate-y and now they are (and by god, thanks they did because it was getting stagnant).

They could incorporate a lot of things a develop it. As I said, its up to them and I have to say they have added in new classes such as Monks and Demon Hunters without causing much issue and fitting in nicely, it's not like they can't be original with Wardens. They are more akin to assassins which are rogues so that rules out monks as they aren't peaceful or embodiment of spirit and more of wrath incurred, they aren't like demon hunters as they aren't infused with demonic essence and all that jumbo... They are jailors and bounty hunters so there is that window there.
    To be honest they could go all out crazy, abandon all hope and give it to Demon Hunters as a spec haha. Solve it being on 2 spec class!

Maybe ranged is overall less fun right now. My hunter was my main for years, this expansion I hated MM and BM, and only play Survival. I mostly play my demonhunter and healers. I'm even leveling various classes, deciding which one to stick to, and while mage, warlock and priest aren't terrible...my monk, warrior and rogue are more fun. Yes you can switch to ranged, but honestly unless you do heroic and mythic raids, most people don't really care if you're melee.
    X

This just in: there's a lack of ranged DPS

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    This just in: there's a lack of ranged DPS
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#difficulty=4

Melee 374057
    Ranged 392453

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    Over 100000 of the ranged (25% of them!) are the bottom 3 dps in that chart. /sad
    Last edited by Fafnar; 2017-01-14 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    They should probably stop introducing new melee classes then. 3 to zero ranged.
    In their defence the 3 melees they've added have all made sense. DKs and DHs were always planned, Monk is an RPG staple and was thematically appropriate when they decided to add it. I'd love to see a new ranged class but I don't have any objection to those they've added.

There will never be a ranged tank
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor