Thread: [TV] Sherlock

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    And the third when he was working on Magnussen. And very heavily in the last year's special episode. The "wait, he's an addict?" from last two pages is weird as hell.
    Yeah, obviously from reading the original stories I knew Holmes has a history of drug use. For some reason, in the TV show I'd never noticed that aspect of it in the same way.

To be honest, I just think a lot of people, myself included, don't remember all the fine details of the previous seasons, because it has been so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Yeah, obviously from reading the original stories I knew Holmes has a history of drug use. For some reason, in the TV show I'd never noticed that aspect of it in the same way.

To be honest, I just think a lot of people, myself included, don't remember all the fine details of the previous seasons, because it has been so long.
    You do have a point about the proper seasons (especially in terms of second one because the addiction angle was even more minor there than it was in third), but the special episode wasn't that long ago and it was one big trip of Sherlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It hasn't really been that long... If you can't remember things from 2 years ago it might be time to work on your memory. And as others pointed out, in the Abominable Bride he took a cocktail of drugs(and made a list) to take his trip back in time.
    Series 3 was 2014. Three years ago. I watched it but I don't really remember much about it other than the primary plot. Sorry if this offends you.

one of my favorite tvshows , last episode s4 e2 was amazing

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably one of my favourite Toby Jones performances in last night's episode. He was just so damn brilliant.
    The episode itself was great, although it could've done without so much ghost Mary in it. It just got overbearing in the last 30 minutes or so, and I think the whole secret sister thing came out of nowhere and seemed overly convoluted for my little brain.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Probably one of my favourite Toby Jones performances in last night's episode. He was just so damn brilliant.
    The episode itself was great, although it could've done without so much ghost Mary in it. It just got overbearing in the last 30 minutes or so, and I think the whole secret sister thing came out of nowhere and seemed overly convoluted for my little brain.
    To be fair... I'm actually convinced she's the real moriarty, with the other guy being a puppet. I figured this before this season, and my suspicions grow bigger. Why? Because the "Moriarty" that took out the Chinese circus lady for knowing too much seemed to have a very different demeanor (even if all we saw was text) from the man who gave his gun a bj

Did you guys notice that the therapist and the other two women were one and the same before the big reveal? I was kicking myself afterwards for not noticing that
    Last edited by Swizzington; 2017-01-10 at 04:55 PM.

Did you guys notice that the therapist and the other two women were one and the same before the big reveal? I was kicking myself afterwards for not noticing that!
    No, I didn't notice either, and I usually pick up on these things. Must have been the camera angles. Btw you may want to spoiler tag your post.
    Last edited by Feredir; 2017-01-10 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    No, I didn't notice either, and I usually pick up on these things. Must have been the camera angles. Btw you may want to spoiler tag your post.
    Oh yeah good point. I edited it. Can still see it in your quote though

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh it's been a few days now, if people come into the thread not having seen the episode after all this time, it's kinda their own fault...

But this is a discussion that's been had 1000000x on this forum and we've never had a solid answer, so lets just move on.

I did not see that twist coming AT ALL! I was like 90% sure that Sherlock had imagined the whole thing, because they'd gone out of their way to plant the idea in our heads with John talking to Mary. Guess I fell right into their trap...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you guys notice that the therapist and the other two women were one and the same before the big reveal? I was kicking myself afterwards for not noticing that
    When I watched the first episode I told my girlfriend that there is something about the lady on the bus. When I saw the second episode today, I said "isn't faith the therapist?" to which my girlfriend said "I don't think so".

So. Nearly had it.

Also, the name of the episode sort of gave the whole thing away. As well as Mary's video from episode 1.
    Hi

I noticed that the therapist and the fake daughter of the bad guy was the same character...didnt notice that it was the same woman from the bus with Watson tho and after they revealed that I dont know how I didnt see that earlier

Great episodes, I don't understand the complaints either. The 1800s episode that was released awhile ago is probably my all-time favorite...these last two episodes have been full of suspense, very well done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I noticed that the therapist and the fake daughter of the bad guy was the same character...didnt notice that it was the same woman from the bus with Watson tho and after they revealed that I dont know how I didnt see that earlier
    I didn't notice...I think I was distracted by the therapist's accent. I wondered how I didn't notice (but also, why didn't Sherlock?).

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Great episodes, I don't understand the complaints either. The 1800s episode that was released awhile ago is probably my all-time favorite...these last two episodes have been full of suspense, very well done.
    Hmh. I thought it was so bad it put me off even wanting to watch the current season, an impression the first episode's feedback just reinforced.

Though apparently the second episode is pretty good. Maybe I'll have a look when it completes if the third one holds up too.

The new episode was much better than the first, and I get Sherlock's "super powers", but I'd like em to tone down the far reaching deduction a bit. I get that it's part of his lore and plays into comedy relief, but the whole 2-3week in advance deduction was kinda much for me (similar to finding Mary after she goes globe trekking).
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The reason Sherlock didn't notice should be apparent. Drugs.
    Maybe. The show depicts him as still being insightful while high, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I didn't notice...I think I was distracted by the therapist's accent. I wondered how I didn't notice (but also, why didn't Sherlock?).
    I think the reason they didn't have Sherlock notice was simply to leave the twist for the audience. His skills weren't that hampered by his drug use. Disguises were also a big part of Sherlock's character in the books, but you can't really fool the audience with Benedict Cumberbatch in a wig and colored contacts. He's too... unique looking. This gave Moffat the chance to use the disguise aspect of the books with a new actor that would fit into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    The new episode was much better than the first, and I get Sherlock's "super powers", but I'd like em to tone down the far reaching deduction a bit. I get that it's part of his lore and plays into comedy relief, but the whole 2-3week in advance deduction was kinda much for me (similar to finding Mary after she goes globe trekking).
    He admitted that was just a tracker though. And "Mary" did go through Sherlock's deduction fairly decently.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I think the reason they didn't have Sherlock notice was simply to leave the twist for the audience. His skills weren't that hampered by his drug use.
    Well yeah. It's a plot twist that also creates a plot hole. But whatever, it's a minor issue so shrug. There are lots of shows out there with far more plot holes.

The episode 2 ending was a little cliche/trope-y. Of course there's a reason that endings like that are popular, they're an effective cliffhanger.

10+ Year Old Account
    He says it himself when he chases after Faith. He's catching up with his brain. It's terribly fast. ^_^

It seems he notices the details and pretty much instantaneously makes a subconscious deduction from them, but the conscious thought of the deduction doesn't necessarily follow as immediately as it usually seems. The drugs slow down the time it takes to reach that intuitive leap to the result that it was a couple of minutes before the deductions became conscious thought and he realised he had to go after Faith.

When it comes to the therapist, we saw that he instantly dismissed her from the moment he met her, and then she pretty much made herself somewhat scarce for the rest of the encounter. As well, other than her connection to John and her house making for a good meeting place, she was entirely irrelevant to the Culverton-Smith case. I doubt he would have troubled himself to even remember her.

So between her seeming irrelevance, that it's not until the mortuary he had zero reason to think Faith wasn't who she says she was, and the much more pressing matter of Culverton-Smith, there was no reason for that deduction to do anything but sit there ticking away in the subconscious of his mind. And thanks to the drugs we already know that it would take longer for it to come forth than it normally would have done anyway. If there was a deduction made at all.

Only caught up last night, and tempted to watch it a couple more times before tonight's episode. After the disappointing first episode, I didn't have high hopes for this season since the second episode is usually the weakest of the three, but that really was an excellent episode.

Almost wish I weren't raiding tonight, so I know I'm going to miss episode 3. Oh well. Guess I'll catch up as soon as I can afterwards.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.