Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Why in the world would I do that? I'll install it to the default.

I'm not saying it didn't happen to you. What i am saying is that YOU changed the default therefore YOU are responsible for the results, not Origin or anyone else. YOU are the one that changed the default.
    What are we even arguing? Is it acceptable for Origin to create a program that deletes all files without checking to see if they were part of the original installation? Is it acceptable for this problem to be caused by something as simple as it's inability to automatically create a folder like every other program on the planet?

Yeah, totally my fault for assuming Origin would work at a basic level.

I'm convinced that EA could pull anything off and you'd blame the user. "Oh, well, you did this minor change that any other program on the planet handles correctly. It's obvious your fault that this program fucked your computer." It's not like I opened my Windows registry and started changing settings on a whim or something. I have never had a program do this to me before. And I'm certainly not trying to look for pity or recompensation, I am simply warning others of this problem.

Nothing you do or say is going to get me to take blame for what Origin did to my PC with its half-assed programming. I'll accept my faults in an instant, but the only one present in this situation is installing Origin to begin with; again, a mistake I will not repeat.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-01-13 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    What are we even arguing? Is it acceptable for Origin to create a program that deletes all files without checking to see if they were part of the original installation? Is it acceptable for this problem to be caused by something as simple as it's inability to automatically create a folder like every other program on the planet?

Yeah, totally my fault for assuming Origin would work at a basic level.
    You assumed, therefore you are at fault.

I assumed Origin wasn't complete shit. It is complete shit, so I am at fault. K.

How exactly am I supposed to know that Origin will do these things? Where's the warning that "Origin might uninstall all your programs if you put it in the wrong folder, because we've designed this program really poorly". Nah, it's my fault for assuming that EA took basic precautions instead of half-assing the program.

Deleted
    To be totally honest, installing to a path other than default should cause no problems unless the uninstaller is scripted by a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    To be totally honest, installing to a path other than default should cause no problems unless the uninstaller is scripted by a monkey.
    Well yeah, if you tell it a folder to install too. He didn't, he just installed it right into Program Files with no sub-directory.

Deleted
    Ahh, missed that bit, i'm the monkey

Removing the parent folder is a bit of a harsh way of dealing with an uninstall though... inventory based, where parent does not = Origin then leave seems much less likely to break someone who's just installed every game known to man...

I assumed Origin wasn't complete shit. It is complete shit, so I am at fault. K.

How exactly am I supposed to know that Origin will do these things? Where's the warning that "Origin might uninstall all your programs if you put it in the wrong folder, because we've designed this program really poorly". Nah, it's my fault for assuming that EA took basic precautions instead of half-assing the program.
    The program simply deleted its own folder. Nothing weird happening here at all.

Well yeah, if you tell it a folder to install too. He didn't, he just installed it right into Program Files with no sub-directory.
    Most programs create their own folder. TBH I can't think of a single one that DOESN'T do this, but I am sure they happen on occasion. I assumed this is what Origin was doing, which caused the problem in the first place. A minor one, easy to fix.. or so I thought until it started deleting all of my games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    The program simply deleted its own folder. Nothing weird happening here at all.
    I have never heard of an installer for any popular programs released in the past decade that delete things without warning. for instance, WoW will leave your screenshot files and settings in case you install later. Origin deletes everything, including files completely unrelated to it.

This is like stone age quality programming. Monkeys could program a more effective uninstallation program than this. They might as well just make it post a message that says "delete our folder and call it a day". Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

im sorry but, thats what you deserve for installing Origin in the first place

Like I said, it simply deleted the basedir of the application. That you decided to change Program Files into Origins folder can't be blamed on the application. A program deleting the install folder on uninstall also isn't 'acting like malware'. Sure, there are more elegant ways to do it, but it's definitely not unheard of. Calling people EA fanboys simply because they don't agree with you doesn't change anything either. Get off that EA hate bandwagon and deal with the fact you made a mistake, shit happens.

I deleted my RAID setup once by accident. I didn't blame Asus, Western Digital, Microsoft or EA for it either. I forgot to check the settings, only had myself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    im sorry but, thats what you deserve for installing Origin in the first place
    Probably true sadly.

Most programs create their own folder. TBH I can't think of a single one that DOESN'T do this, but I am sure they happen on occasion. I assumed this is what Origin was doing, which caused the problem in the first place. A minor one, easy to fix.. or so I thought until it started deleting all of my games.
    Yeah, most programs do, until you tell it not to, which is what you did. You screwed up and told it not to. Get over it and quit blaming Origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    Like I said, it simply deleted the basedir of the application. That you decided to change Program Files into Origins folder can't be blamed on the application. A program deleting the install folder on uninstall also isn't 'acting like malware'. Sure, there are more elegant ways to do it, but it's definitely not unheard of. Calling people EA fanboys simply because they don't agree with you doesn't change anything either. Get off that EA hate bandwagon and deal with the fact you made a mistake, shit happens.

I deleted my RAID setup once by accident. I didn't blame Asus, Western Digital, Microsoft or EA for it either. I forgot to check the settings, only had myself to blame.
    I said he loved EA because of the way he was trashing me. It was pretty tame compared to the shit he was slinging at me.

Origin suffered from two issues here; first it didn't create a folder (even went I set it directly to /origin -- "this folder doesn't exist", which led me to thinking it would create one logically, since the vast majority of programs do -- every single program I have installed in the past couple days I simply replaced C with E and they worked just fine, but Origin has to be special), then it uninstalled everything when I went to reinstall it. It did all of this without warning.

Sorry, but EA wasting literally days of my time and possibly causing me to have a higher bill due to having a higher download than my limit this month (again, thanks to downloading a lot of this shit twice) because they programmed their Origin software incredibly ineptly is going to leave me blaming them in this case.

I've made mistakes before; I own up to them. I'm sure if you search my post history you'll see a few of them. I'm not perfect, but this sure as hell was not my fault.

More importantly than taking "it's your fault, stop blaming others" from this, you should take "If you are not careful, Origin can delete your program files folder because the software is shitty" from it. This is a cautionary tale more than complaining about Origin.

I hate EA for a number of reasons, it's not like there's one event and suddenly I despise them. This is just the straw (the very large straw) that is pushing me over the edge. If EA went bankrupt it would be great for the industry anyways. Fuck 'em.

Yeah, most programs do, until you tell it not to, which is what you did. You screwed up and told it not to. Get over it and quit blaming Origin.
    K.

PS: I did not tell it not to, but I don't really see any logical reason to be telling you this as you do not listen to anything I say, lol. It doesn't create it's own folder, and it will only use preexisting folders. So unless I manually create the folder, it won't put it in there. I have literally never ran across a program like this. Again, unsure why I am mentioning this since you are undoubtedly going to ignore it and counter with more irrelevant garbage "quit blaming Origin, they can't help that their software is trash" etc.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-01-14 at 03:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No you didn't let it create its own folder which is the correct way, according to what you said was you installed it under program files ... not /Program Files/Origin so when you removed it, it will remove all files under Program Files because that IS the folder in which the files were installed.

I accidentally placed the file in Program Files instead of /Origin or whatever.
    I just uninstalled Origin on my PC to see what would happen, nothing did, it just uninstalled Origin and nothing else, mine is on my SSD in C:/Program Files (X86)/Origin

It was user error, own it and move on.

Deleted
    lol so much hate on the OP. whats wrong with you guys.

I remember like 10-20 years ago installers were often shit/not obvious like this, and as a result i sometimes ended up with things like c:/program files/origin/origin/ as folders. Yeah technically it's his own fault, but cmon who wouldn't want to vent a bit after this happened to them?

also guys: I moved my windows user folder off my SSD, should I just throw my pc out the window cause i dared touch the default?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-01-14 at 03:24 PM.

Deleted
    OP you sound like a whiny entitled POS.
    Gratz.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    lol so much hate on the OP. whats wrong with you guys.

I remember like 10-20 years ago installers were often shit/not obvious like this, and as a result i sometimes ended up with things like c:/program files/origin/origin/ as folders. Yeah technically it's his own fault, but cmon who wouldn't want to vent a bit after this happened to them?

also guys: I moved my windows user folder off my SSD, should I just throw my pc out the window cause i dared touch the default?
    What is not his fault is not realising that origin(fwiw steam does this too, you all have been warned) wipes out the entire directory indiscriminately rather than relying on uninstall data like um, try basically everything that is not steam or origin.

Likewise, I think this thread has been truly appalling.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are there even 400 games for computer ?

lol, all I play is wow.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I have never heard of an installer for any popular programs released in the past decade that delete things without warning. for instance, WoW will leave your screenshot files and settings in case you install later. Origin deletes everything, including files completely unrelated to it.

This is like stone age quality programming. Monkeys could program a more effective uninstallation program than this. They might as well just make it post a message that says "delete our folder and call it a day". Would have saved me a lot of trouble.
    I installed origin today after almost two years of staying away from them. I found it funny that I still have to create a folder for it to install on other drive than C. I don't think they put too much resource in this app of theirs to be honest. The only game company that gave me nightmares with the technical part and account security, really, but I am not going into details, it is just anecdotal evidence. Unpleasant, nevertheless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    All of you computer noobs that are saying that it's normal for a program to delete a folder like this, it's not. Except for piece of shit software like Origin.
    Really, Install software in /Program Files
    with no sub folder and uninstall it.

I dare ya.