10+ Year Old Account
    Why i got feeling, ME:A Multiplayer will be the same like in DA:I?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Basically way back when, one British retailer told businesses to have their deliveries ready by Friday so they could sell/advertise it over the weekend when everyone did their shopping. Shortly thereafter most stores and businesses across Europe started doing the same.

Fast forward to today and it is just the routine and it would require effort (however small) to change that routine, so no one really cares to do it.

---
    And the article doesn't state it, but digital distributors respect those "street" dates because publishers tell them to. Mostly to not hurt retail sales/stagger release. IE: The game launching on Tuesday on Steam, and thus no one buying it at retail because why wait three days to play the game? Or the game launching early on Steam to problems/bad reviews/controversy/etc., and then that hurting retail sales days later...

So they just say Friday, the end, in the EU. Like Tuesday in the US (Tuesday was chosen for largely the same reason in the US, we're just bigger so it was logistically better to stock shelves earlier in the week to make sure everywhere had stock by the weekend).
    Oh...
    ... That's... Kinda' dumb... Especially with how today's distribution and trade works... Rather surprised that hasn't changed.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    snip
    I think your mistake is that you assume that Synthesis ending makes organics into "less organics", that can no longer experience the same amount of pleasure from the same activities, etc. Which is not correct: you get aspects from both, neither being diminished by the other. You can just as much enjoy tasty food, love and sex, work in arts, science. In fact, you probably can enjoy them much more than before, as synthetic improvements of your body are very likely to significantly sharpen your senses.

Brainwashed or not, I think this is the endpoint of our evolution in real world in any case: improving ourselves to the point of being hardly distinguishable from highly intelligent machines. The Synthesis ending merely accelerates it, bypassing possibly thousands years of technological and societal evolution which would lead to that in the end.

I don't know, to me the choice was a no-brainer. But then, I am a nerdy geek and a geeky nerd, the idea of something like this makes me squeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I chose Destroy. I don't get why anyone would choose otherwise. The whole point of the game was to eliminate the Reaper threat. And no I don't consider Destroy to be the Renegade option(I was Paragon through and through).

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, honestly at this point the ME3 ending is pretty much irrelevant. They have shipped us off to Andromeda so they'll never have to open that can of worms again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Meh, honestly at this point the ME3 ending is pretty much irrelevant. They have shipped us off to Andromeda so they'll never have to open that can of worms again.
    A long-term goal of the Andromeda Initiative is to establish a "space highway" back to the Milky Way. So, eventually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    I chose Destroy. I don't get why anyone would choose otherwise. The whole point of the game was to eliminate the Reaper threat. And no I don't consider Destroy to be the Renegade option(I was Paragon through and through).
    Every ending option of ME3 eliminates the reaper threat.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Oh i dunno, maybe because Destroy ending equals genocide of the Geth and any other artificial intelligence, such as EDI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    A long-term goal of the Andromeda Initiative is to establish a "space highway" back to the Milky Way. So, eventually.
    It's the goal of the Initiavite. Doesn't mean Bioware will ever have to follop up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think your mistake is that you assume that Synthesis ending makes organics into "less organics", that can no longer experience the same amount of pleasure from the same activities, etc. Which is not correct: you get aspects from both, neither being diminished by the other. You can just as much enjoy tasty food, love and sex, work in arts, science. In fact, you probably can enjoy them much more than before, as synthetic improvements of your body are very likely to significantly sharpen your senses.

Brainwashed or not, I think this is the endpoint of our evolution in real world in any case: improving ourselves to the point of being hardly distinguishable from highly intelligent machines. The Synthesis ending merely accelerates it, bypassing possibly thousands years of technological and societal evolution which would lead to that in the end.

I don't know, to me the choice was a no-brainer. But then, I am a nerdy geek and a geeky nerd, the idea of something like this makes me squeal.
    I'm a nerd and a geek, but the idea of taking a choice like that OUT of hands of individuals? terrifies me. who the hell am I who the hell is Shepard to make that choice for everyone. and Synthesis especially in the way that it is describe like this utopia where everyone is the same? homogenizes people. it takes away the growth people have made to find common ground and forces them to be happy together by taking away their free will essentially. because that's the only way to turn so many dis-separate people into a hive. how exactly do we enjoy food btw, when food has also been changed? remember plants have circuitry too, as do animals, the ENTIRE GALAXY WAS CHANGED.

synthesis assumes that Geth and Edi are not alive, unless they are made partly organic. so much for free will and self determination. synthesis assumes that people are incapable of cooperating unless they are forced to do so by being turned into this "we are all the same" hive its built on an assumption that machines and organics cannot cooperate (despite EDI and her crew, despite multiple games where Geth and Quarians actualy agree to mutual cooperation), unless they are turned into hybrids of one another. instead of speeding up out evolution synthesis dismisses any and all progress we have made so far

and don't even get me started on specifics of how that is accomplished. why does Shepard need to be melted down - does everyone now have parts of Shepard's DNA, is everyone now in part - Shepard? what the hell is even that beam. how the hell does one person having some mechanical parts mean that merge is now possible, how do you go from body horror of FREAKING HUSKS to happy utopia just because Shepard's DNA was added to a mix? how can you even LOOK at husks and the rest and think - yeah, this is definitely the best idea for everyone.

and.. I think i just talked myself out of pre-purchasing Andromeda. why its relevant? Mac Walters is the lead on it. and he is the one responsible for the conflicting mess of ideas and "we are doing this "for the feelz" even though it makes absolutely NO sense and is contradictory/out of character for people involved" story telling.

P.S. Edi and geth dying in destroy make no goddamn sense either. its arbitrary "we had to make destroy unappealing" condition. and don't even get me started on activating it via shooting a goddamn tube, or it being there in a first place even though star child would pretty obviously not want us to pick it, and just... christ, if this is the quality of writing we are getting in Andromeda - my sci-fi loving heart just died a little inside.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-01-13 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I have my doubts that BioWare will actually do that (with the conflicting endings of ME3) there would have to be a retcon or somehow all biological/mechanical life in the Milky Way Galaxy gone/dead. I think it's just a goal of the initiative "lore-wise" for the story, and not something that will happen.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware just can't return into Milky Way without canonizing certain set of outcomes. Too much is hanging on Shepard's decisions and that's not just the ending, but many more before that.

I'm a nerd and a geek, but the idea of taking a choice like that OUT of hands of individuals? terrifies me. who the hell am I who the hell is Shepard to make that choice for everyone...
    Politically Shepard is a Spectre, empowered by the Council (the de facto rulers of the galaxy) to preserve stability through whatever means deemed necessary. In spiritual terms, according to Javik, Shepard is the Avatar of our Cycle and Exemplar of Victory. In pragmatic terms Shepard is the person on the spot who has to make a choice how the galaxy proceeds away from the mass-extinction event with no path being clearly more ethical than the others (even without the death of EDI and the Geth, Destroy is till a mass genocide of the final forms of many species through galactic history.) In historic terms (we learn after the fact) Shepard is the shepherd who, according to Buzz Aldrin, seemed to have made the correct choice in the end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Spectres are in a weird place for politics. They have unlimited authority in the form of the Council. Yet their own species expect them to further advance their own goals. There are plenty who are lone wolves. Do the work that they are asked and they run their own operation. There are also plenty who are essentially agents for their own governments.

While it is necessary for a government as large as the Council to maintain such a force where they can directly intervene without needing a fleet to do so. It runs the risk of having dangerous factions pop up under the leadership of a Spectre. It happens in Star Trek where Section 31 openly starts to influence events.

Imagine if you continued down your path as a Spectre. You've built ties to a major number of research and weapons manufacturers. You can very well start to acquire funding to operate your own fleet and army.

10+ Year Old Account
    To become a Specre you need to have considereable skills in combat, hacking, diplomacy and even detective work. Leadership skills are also a big bonus.

For those reasons Spectres often come with a background in their respective nation's or race's elite military or espionage organizations. So while a Specre should only answer to the council, it's unlikely that the organization that trained them will just let their investment walk away when they are likely to be one of their best operatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Politically Shepard is a Spectre, empowered by the Council (the de facto rulers of the galaxy) to preserve stability through whatever means deemed necessary. In spiritual terms, according to Javik, Shepard is the Avatar of our Cycle and Exemplar of Victory. In pragmatic terms Shepard is the person on the spot who has to make a choice how the galaxy proceeds away from the mass-extinction event with no path being clearly more ethical than the others (even without the death of EDI and the Geth, Destroy is till a mass genocide of the final forms of many species through galactic history.) In historic terms (we learn after the fact) Shepard is the shepherd who, according to Buzz Aldrin, seemed to have made the correct choice in the end :P
    specters are not elected by the people to be their leaders. spectres are elected by the COUNCIL. to be their OPERATIVES. and operative making a decision like that? is way out of line. more over. the whole decision in a first place didn't fit the game, didn't fit themes of the game, made no sense within the scientific laws of the game and was just arbitrary "Shepard is a Jesus figure who must die, becasue we are tired of making games about them" no choice is more contradictory to those themes when set up as a GOOD choice? is synthesis. to the point where even right before the damn sequence with the tubes, we see a result of said synthesis and indoctrination. on Illusive man. its NOT pretty. you cannot just steal and ending from another game and then not even fit it properly into your own story (cough, Deus Ex, cough) I'm not the biggest fan of transhumanism, but you can handle it well.. and then there's ME3 ending.

oh and Shepard originally was named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shepard . the whole god metaphor was added much later and not even properly set up. IMO.

P.S. if you are talking about genocide of the reapers? based on that whole "we preserve the species by melting them down" shlock? no. genocide was committed by the reapers. those species and everything that they were? is gone. considering that reapers have destroyed as much as possible of what was left of those species civilizations to the point where if we do find some scattered artifact, we can't do much about it because there is no longer any context left? they have a VERY interesting idea of cultural preservation right there.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-01-14 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    specters are not elected by the people to be their leaders. spectres are elected by the COUNCIL. to be their OPERATIVES. and operative making a decision like that? is way out of line. more over. the whole decision in a first place didn't fit the game, didn't fit themes of the game, made no sense within the scientific laws of the game and was just arbitrary "Shepard is a Jesus figure who must die, becasue we are tired of making games about them" no choice is more contradictory to those themes when set up as a GOOD choice? is synthesis. to the point where even right before the damn sequence with the tubes, we see a result of said synthesis and indoctrination. on Illusive man. its NOT pretty. you cannot just steal and ending from another game and then not even fit it properly into your own story (cough, Deus Ex, cough) I'm not the biggest fan of transhumanism, but you can handle it well.. and then there's ME3 ending.

oh and Shepard originally was named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shepard . the whole god metaphor was added much later and not even properly set up. IMO.

P.S. if you are talking about genocide of the reapers? based on that whole "we preserve the species by melting them down" shlock? no. genocide was committed by the reapers. those species and everything that they were? is gone. considering that reapers have destroyed as much as possible of what was left of those species civilizations to the point where if we do find some scattered artifact, we can't do much about it because there is no longer any context left? they have a VERY interesting idea of cultural preservation right there.
    They don't claim to preserve the species, they claim to preserve biological life. Since, in their opinion, if left unchecked biological life will destroy itself completely.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    They don't claim to preserve the species, they claim to preserve biological life. Since, in their opinion, if left unchecked biological life will destroy itself completely.
    I was responding to this sentence in a reply I quoted.
    even without the death of EDI and the Geth, Destroy is till a mass genocide of the final forms of many species through galactic history.
    you know the whole assumption of what reapers do to the species is preserve them.

I know that for whatever reason synthesis has its fans. but... I cannot see it as anything other then body and mind horror and gross violation of autonomy of countless species of the galaxy.

10+ Year Old Account
    snip
    Shepard decides the fate of the galaxy anyway; no matter what he/she does, in the end only he/she has a say in it. I fail to see why he/she wouldn't choose the logical option to speed up the process which will happen naturally anyway. And no, no one's free will is taken away, the Catalyst explains it well: what happens is the merging of synthetics and organics, not destruction of organics and replacement by synthetics. The only drawback I can see to it is that, since consciousness is somewhat shared, everyone feels not only each other's pleasant thoughts and feelings, but also the negative ones - but then, it is also natural: any progress leads to both negative and positive effects.

Let's see what other options we have:
    A) Blue ending: Shepard becomes the supreme tyrant, with Reapers as his/her means of controlling the galaxy - no, thanks, I think this is exactly what I've fought against all 3 games.
    B) Red ending: Shepard consciously murders billions synthetics and organics with numerous synthetic parts. That's worse than what Reapers have been doing, in my eyes: those, at least, preserved what they've reaped in some shape.
    C) Refusal ending: Shepard gives up at the moment when he/she was finally able to put an end to possibly billions years of constant suffering on the galactic scale. Eww...

With this kind of choice, not choosing Synthesis ending just because Shepard couldn't ask everyone's opinion first seems very strange to me. It's like being offered a billion dollars which you can freely donate to anyone you want, and then say, "Eh, I haven't asked their opinion, so I'll reject this billion. Throw it in a garbage can instead". I mean, I understand people having made an other choice, but to me personally this isn't even a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Shepard decides the fate of the galaxy anyway; no matter what he/she does, in the end only he/she has a say in it. I fail to see why he/she wouldn't choose the logical option to speed up the process which will happen naturally anyway. And no, no one's free will is taken away, the Catalyst explains it well: what happens is the merging of synthetics and organics, not destruction of organics and replacement by synthetics. The only drawback I can see to it is that, since consciousness is somewhat shared, everyone feels not only each other's pleasant thoughts and feelings, but also the negative ones - but then, it is also natural: any progress leads to both negative and positive effects.

Let's see what other options we have:
    A) Blue ending: Shepard becomes the supreme tyrant, with Reapers as his/her means of controlling the galaxy - no, thanks, I think this is exactly what I've fought against all 3 games.
    B) Red ending: Shepard consciously murders billions synthetics and organics with numerous synthetic parts. That's worse than what Reapers have been doing, in my eyes: those, at least, preserved what they've reaped in some shape.
    C) Refusal ending: Shepard gives up at the moment when he/she was finally able to put an end to possibly billions years of constant suffering on the galactic scale. Eww...

With this kind of choice, not choosing Synthesis ending just because Shepard couldn't ask everyone's opinion first seems very strange to me. It's like being offered a billion dollars which you can freely donate to anyone you want, and then say, "Eh, I haven't asked their opinion, so I'll reject this billion. Throw it in a garbage can instead". I mean, I understand people having made an other choice, but to me personally this isn't even a question.
    Shepard affects the fate of the galaxy, yes. and a lot of Shepard's decisions affect various species. but guess what? those are not good choices, those are NOT choices to feel good about. exterminating Rachni, not distributing genophage cure.. those are not good choices, those are NOT perfect choices. its not about asking for opinions either, its about consent. consent is important.

like I said, I think all endings suck. NONE of them are perfect. NONE. there is just no way to call any of them perfect, especially since SYNTHESIS is exactly what you fought across 3 games. since you know the whole... husk thing? that's your synthesis right there, and btw, those husks that were hit with the wave... what becomes of them? are they turning from one horrific drone to another horrific drone? do they regain their memories? what happens to composite husks? are they all too brainwashed to care? Synthesis is positioned to be "the best" ending the middle one, the green one. until you start to think about what it actualy entails

I picked synthesis once because it was the most character for that particular Shepard. i felt sick afterwards. I haven't played the game without Mehem since (which is essentially destroy ending, but without ridiculousness of Starchild or "it doesn't freaking work like that" death of geth and Edi). I can kinda see picking control, becasue you can always headcanon flying reapers into the sun or something, of course EC still places you as benevolent helper when paragon, supreme dictator as renegade (which still works out to be more in character, even if still nonsensical)

and to reiterate. ALL ME3 ENDING CHOICES ARE TERRIBLE. there are NO good endings. they are ALL TERRIBLY WRITTEN. which is why I'm still worried about writing of Andromeda. I've been alternately jumping on a hype train and back off it ever since the announcement and in a way, thank you for these conversations, because I'm now definitely not preordering (let alone pre-purchasing) Andromeda. going to wait until people play through and story spoilers come out. and then decide if I want to play it.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-01-14 at 05:32 AM.