Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's definitely been a long-term problem with police treatment of minorities in general (most are good, but it's been a problem). So police kind of created their own problem. There was a DOJ report just today released on the Chicago Police detailing their longstanding problems with abuse and mistreatment of minorities. The unfortunate part is that the bad cops are probably not the ones usually to pay the price with people having attitudes with them (or attacks). The police groups and blue lives matter group is also super-defensive whenever any controversy comes up and immediately dismisses any possible bad cop activity, which doesn't help either when we know that there are problem cops.

The problems are on both sides. I've seen firsthand blacks I'm with get pulled over for minor things like a headlight much more quickly and often than white people do. They are also treated far more suspiciously even when polite. On the flip side there are bad guys that claim racism as soon as the police show up just to try to avoid getting searched or arrested.

So it won't be an easy problem to fix. There needs to be trust rebuilt in the public that if there is a bad cop that really does do something wrong and unjustly uses force, that they'll be convicted. Likewise, good cops can't feel afraid to shoot someone when it is a just situation. More minority cops and good cops, along with better community policing, would probably help too. Moving cops around to different areas would probably also help so they don't burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    There's definitely been a long-term problem with police treatment of minorities in general (most are good, but it's been a problem).
    When things like this still happen, there is a problem.

On Wednesday night, Evanston Police released dashcam video from 2015 that shows the arrest of an African American man who was suspected of stealing a car that turned out to be his own.

On October 10, 2015, Lawrence Crosby was working on his car around 7:00 PM when a woman passing by saw what she thought was an African American man breaking into a vehicle and stealing it. She called 9-1-1 and then followed the vehicle, relaying information to the dispatcher about the location.

“Hi somebody's trying to break into, somebody's trying to break into a car,” the woman told the dispatcher. ”I Think the person just got into the car."

Evanston police release arrest video of man suspected of stealing car that was his own
    Crosby, an engineering doctoral candidate at Northwestern University, was driving from his apartment to campus when he was stopped. He had his own dashcam video recording in his car, and before the stop, he can be heard talking to someone saying he thought he was being followed. He was reportedly headed to the police station because of those suspicions, when police pulled him over in a church parking lot.

The dashcam video shows him get out with his hands up with a cellphone in his hand and he then gets taken down by officers who thought they were dealing with someone who stole a car.

“On the ground... on the ground... down on the ground... down on the ground...turn around,” the officers can be heard yelling as they knee Crosby to bring him to the ground and then punch him.

“I'm cooperating...sir, you're on video... that's an FYI,” Crosby can be heard telling the officers. He had moved to the front of his car to put himself within view of his own camera.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/228831926-story
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Why not? If you don't have reasonable cause you shouldn't be stopping people, and i assume these cops aren't ignoring people walking around with a gun in one hand and meth in the other, so i can only assume their definition of "suspicious" people is about as suspicious as a kid standing outside of a convenience store in a hoodie. If they are ignoring people who are actually suspicious because they are afraid of being shamed then they shouldn't be fucking cops.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    In most cases? Absolutely.

While not related to the criminal justice system, I did represent myself in a civil case. After speaking just a few sentences to the company's attorney the case was dismissed with prejudice. I beat a civil lawsuit with 1 hour on Google.

I'm not saying to ignore the old saying "someone who represents themselves has a fool for a client" - but if it is a minor ticket or something similar a bit of education goes a long way.
    Yeah, tickets are usually pretty easy to overturn.

The most hilarious cases are the automated ones that they started installing around here. Legally, they are a total quagmire, so much that judges barely even bother with them. If you go to court, it's almost an automatic overturn in many cases. Happened to a friend of mine. Now the authorities are phasing them out slowly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    72 percent said they are less willing to stop and question suspicious-seeming people;
    76 percent said they are now more reluctant to use force when it’s appropriate.
    I want to pull those two numbers out for a second. They're presented as if this is somehow a "bad thing". Cops being less willing to harass innocent bystanders who they just think are "suspicious" but have no probable cause against, that's a good thing. I don't care if the cop thinks I look shifty; if he didn't see me doing anything wrong, he's got no business holding me up.

And the latter is even more laudable. A cop should always, be reluctant to use force. Always. It should be a last resort, and generally only used in self-defense against similar levels of force, or to protect bystanders from a threat. While I can see the reason for some use of force in making an arrest, if the target resists, the officer should be reluctant to scale that up and should be trying to use the absolute minimum amount of force they can. They shouldn't ever step up the level of force to make the arrest easier. If the guy's wrestling with you, but your partner's there, get some help to get the cuffs on him. There's no grounds, in that situation, for tasing the guy, as a for-instance. If you were solo, that's a maybe, but I want the officer to debate whether or not the upgrade in force response is warranted, every single time. And they should be trying to talk themselves out of it, every time.

I mean, if gunfire is shattering bricks around you, by all means, return fire. I'm not saying officers aren't authorized to use force. But yes, they absolutely need to be using it as a last resort, not a tool to make their jobs easier.

https://news.vice.com/story/cops-say...e-or-use-force

If you follow the rules you shouldn't be worried about the consequences. It's when we have cops who are mistreating suspects or even worse, shooting without cause, then the issue arises.
    Most of the cops in US cases have been following the rules like the cop in the Michael Brown case or the cops in the Freddie Gray case who were all essentially found to have been in the right and yet their lives were destroyed in the process due to the racist black people that wanted to riot over criminals who misbehaved getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Depends on the ticket. I've never had to pay for court appearances for the few tickets I've ever got.

We're not sure. When her white wife takes her to work, they never get pulled over. When she goes alone it's a few times a week.
    How to put this succinctly... you casually describe "never" having to pay for court. I've never been to court as a subject myself. A society where you do nothing wrong and yet have to fight for every inch of respect seems somewhat foobar'd.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Most of the cops in US cases have been following the rules like the cop in the Michael Brown case or the cops in the Freddie Gray case who were all essentially found to have been in the right and yet their lives were destroyed in the process due to the racist black people that wanted to riot over criminals who misbehaved getting shot.
    Wasn't Freddy Gray the one who died because the police gave him a Rough ride/Nickle Ride? There is no reason he should have died.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Michael Brown case? Where the unarmed man was gunned down? Is that the one you're referring to?

In the Michael Brown case? Where the unarmed man was gunned down? Is that the one you're referring to?
    Fuck Michael Brown. The world is better off with him dead.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like they face a witch hunt if they make tough decisions. Some are bad apples, but the media has made the people think they all are.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Fuck Michael Brown. The world is better off with him dead.
    Amen.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2017-01-14 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    Wasn't Freddy Gray the one who died because the police gave him a Rough ride/Nickle Ride? There is no reason he should have died.
    Yeah, they basically murdered the guy. The problem was that it didn't quite fit the legal definition of murder and the prosecutor combined zealotry and incompetence in the wake of Baltimore protests. It's very likely they could have gotten a lesser conviction.

Implement body cams, charge only the cops that shoot or use force unjustly on the cams. Too many cases of he-said-she-said or one sided witnesses because the perp/victim is dead, video evidence will better enlighten the courts if the cop is in the right or wrong.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Not any of the times I go. You either pay by the date or set a court date by the date, if you set a court date you dont pay till after your appearance.
    Depending on the "crime" you´ve been stopped for. /cough civil forfeiture /cough
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The solution is simple.

Do the Micheal Jackson and bleach the skin! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    2x the fatal shootings were perpetrated against white people, so I say again... PULL A GUN ON A COP, GET SHOT, YOUR RACE IS IRRELEVANT.
    Well, there are 6 times as many white people as black people.

- - - Updated - - -

Destroyed his life? Guy murdered an unarmed black man and raked in hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I want to pull those two numbers out for a second. They're presented as if this is somehow a "bad thing". Cops being less willing to harass innocent bystanders who they just think are "suspicious" but have no probable cause against, that's a good thing. I don't care if the cop thinks I look shifty; if he didn't see me doing anything wrong, he's got no business holding me up.

And the latter is even more laudable. A cop should always, be reluctant to use force. Always. It should be a last resort, and generally only used in self-defense against similar levels of force, or to protect bystanders from a threat. While I can see the reason for some use of force in making an arrest, if the target resists, the officer should be reluctant to scale that up and should be trying to use the absolute minimum amount of force they can. They shouldn't ever step up the level of force to make the arrest easier. If the guy's wrestling with you, but your partner's there, get some help to get the cuffs on him. There's no grounds, in that situation, for tasing the guy, as a for-instance. If you were solo, that's a maybe, but I want the officer to debate whether or not the upgrade in force response is warranted, every single time. And they should be trying to talk themselves out of it, every time.

I mean, if gunfire is shattering bricks around you, by all means, return fire. I'm not saying officers aren't authorized to use force. But yes, they absolutely need to be using it as a last resort, not a tool to make their jobs easier.
    This is ridiculous stuff, yes a cop should be reluctant to use force but this article says "when its appropriate". Now I have no idea of what their definition of appropriate is and neither do you. But lets presume for a second as a policing force that they may know when its appropriate to use force in a general sense, far more so than the rest of the population, given its their job to do so.

So you are essentially happy that police are no longer able to do their job for fear of retribution from the public/black community that has been driven into a fury by the media reporting lies/half truths before the entirety of the story has come to light, as has been demonstrated by many cases in the past 3 years. Have you considered the possible negative side effects as well as the positives? Maybe this won't effect you but if you look at the murder rates and crime statistics of certain areas in the US over the past 6 months and in the near future you will see significant spikes in crime due to police being reticent to actually do their job.

I understand you probably think the majority of the police are somewhat power tripping egotists but consider that a vast majority of them do things like stopping and questions suspicious people for the good of the community. They may not always get it right but they don't just do this shit for fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what happens when the media demonizes them. 49/50 officers are perfectly competent, innocent people who do their job without incident their whole career but the 1/50 are the only ones that make it to the news so obviously that makes them all evil, racist bastards. -.-*

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I know some friends who have been racially profiled. A friend of mine is regularly pulled over on the way to work for things like "changing lanes too slowly" and racks up a few hundred a month in tickets. She's taking it to court. Rather than be stupid and resist and fight the police at the time, she's being smart, collecting the evidence, and will see her day in the justice system instead of in a coffin.
    I smell BS!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    That's what happens when the media demonizes them. 49/50 officers are perfectly competent, innocent people who do their job without incident their whole career but the 1/50 are the only ones that make it to the news so obviously that makes them all evil, racist bastards. -.-*
    With the amount of theft ("civil forfiture") committed by American police, I see no reason to presume those ratios are anywhere close to correct.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters