Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

incredibly shit fps after installing new gpu

EVGA GeForce GTX 660
    AMD Athlon II X4 B55
    8GB RAM
    Driver Versions: tried both 362.00, 372.70 376.33

17 FPS in overwatch on low settings in actual matches. before I was getting 30-45 FPS with a 5770 =\ I am in the menu literally watching the game ping pong from 50 to 100 fps

uninstalled and reinstalled drivers more than I'd have liked to. A lot more than that, actually. I'm just completely at a loss. I have no idea what to do

Couple things to note, are you sure the 6pin power cable was plugged in all the way (some cards can start up with it not plugged in, most wont tho). Also have you checked temps during operation, i use HWmonitor for this. Make sure the card is boosting to its max clocks in game, HWmonitor should report this as well.

Outside of that i really have no other suggestions, only other question would be did you test other games with the 660?

did you reinstall the games ? i know that every time i change my gpu, i have to reinstall the blizzard game because my fps will be shit, dunno why ithink their config try to be like the old card you had on the new card or something else, but anyway, after reinstall the games, my fps is what is suppose to be with the new card, so make it a try to see ;p

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people don't have the dl speed to just dl a 50gb game whenever they want. Some also have gb caps.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    did you reinstall the games ? i know that every time i change my gpu, i have to reinstall the blizzard game because my fps will be shit, dunno why ithink their config try to be like the old card you had on the new card or something else, but anyway, after reinstall the games, my fps is what is suppose to be with the new card, so make it a try to see ;p
    i will give that a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Couple things to note, are you sure the 6pin power cable was plugged in all the way (some cards can start up with it not plugged in, most wont tho). Also have you checked temps during operation, i use HWmonitor for this. Make sure the card is boosting to its max clocks in game, HWmonitor should report this as well.

Outside of that i really have no other suggestions, only other question would be did you test other games with the 660?
    yes i made sure the connector clicked. the PSU is also Corsair CX500 if that is important

i will have to reinstall card as i put the 5770 back in temporarily. i think the hottest i have seen the card get was 60c and that was when i was trying to overclock it which usually ends with the driver not recovering and having to restart my computer

ran it up in wow too. same crap FPS

Deleted
    Did you actually uninstall the drivers with a tool to completely remove them? Also make sure your Nvidia control panel settings are set to "Performance" since they usually default to power saving.

10+ Year Old Account
    yep and whatever the fuck display driver uninstaller did it shit all over my computer

i couldnt boot with the card at first so i had to reset the CMOS too

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    i will give that a shot

yes i made sure the connector clicked. the PSU is also Corsair CX500 if that is important

i will have to reinstall card as i put the 5770 back in temporarily. i think the hottest i have seen the card get was 60c and that was when i was trying to overclock it which usually ends with the driver not recovering and having to restart my computer

ran it up in wow too. same crap FPS
    When you reinstalled the driver did you select custom and then check the box that says perform a clean install? I would start there if you didnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i hit clean install the most recent times i have installed them

What you are describing i have never really seen, the only thing i can think of is you are plugging the monitor into the onboard GPU instead of the 660. I dont know how else to explain you are getting 17 FPS on low in overwatch, when that card should be capable of 60 FPS on high.

10+ Year Old Account
    well i can take a picture of the cable plugged into the dvi port of the 660 if you want XD

just put it back in trying at this again

hmm. Don't have overwatch but I played it during the free weekend.

I have a 660 TI that ran overwatch fairly badly. 20-30fps while sitting still, dipping to 15 during fights.

Can get 60+fps constantly on 7 in wow with particle density and view range maxed out. Runs Witcher 3 really well. Overwatch just didn't like my 660ti. I didn't worry to much with it because it was just the free weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by avolation View Post
    hmm. Don't have overwatch but I played it during the free weekend.

I have a 660 TI that ran overwatch fairly badly. 20-30fps while sitting still, dipping to 15 during fights.

Can get 60+fps constantly on 7 in wow with particle density and view range maxed out. Runs Witcher 3 really well. Overwatch just didn't like my 660ti. I didn't worry to much with it because it was just the free weekend.
    Something wrong with your PC then, i have a 760 which isnt much faster than a 660ti and i literally never dip below 60 at anytime in the game. My cpu is faster than his but it does not make up the kind of numbers we are talking about here, and when i turn vsync off im between 80-110 fps so ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you buy the GTX 660? It's not exactly an upgrade over a Radeon 5770.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Did you buy the GTX 660? It's not exactly an upgrade over a Radeon 5770.
    That is incorrect, if my memory serves a gtx 660 is about double the performance of a 5770, whole different level of graphic horsepower.

Deleted
    Did you check percentage of usage of both CPU and GPU ? Did you check temps? Did you check with another game/games?

For the record, i have a gtx 560 OC + i7 860 8GB ram, and Overwatch runs at 40-60 fps (1680*1050) in minimal settings.
    Last edited by mmocbc562de0cc; 2017-01-14 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That is incorrect, if my memory serves a gtx 660 is about double the performance of a 5770, whole different level of graphic horsepower.
    I mean they're both low end old GPUs. Still want to know if he bought the 660.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowbaq View Post
    Did you check percentage of usage of both CPU and GPU ? Did you check temps? Did you check with another game/games?

For the record, i have a gtx 560 OC + i7 860 8GB ram, and Overwatch runs at 40-60 fps (1680*1050) in minimal settings.
    yeah

the gpu temp looks fine but my cpu temp is like 70c just sitting at my desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I mean they're both low end old GPUs. Still want to know if he bought the 660.
    *shrug* the 5770 played the game at very reasonable framerate and I've had it since '10. Gave a friend a few bucks for it

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    yeah

the gpu temp looks fine but my cpu temp is like 70c just sitting at my desktop

*shrug* the 5770 played the game at very reasonable framerate and I've had it since '10. Gave a friend a few bucks for it
    70c sitting at desktop? You didnt forget about thermal paste did you?

Rather than reinstalling the game, unless you are certain that is necessary.
    Go the the battle.net launcher, and click the logo in the top-left corner.
    Settings, Game Settings - and in each game section there should be an option to reset the settings for that game.
    Best to try it with games which have less setup requirements, such as Overwatch.

Simply reinstalling may not actually clear the settings.

Also in WoW there has been a bug causing graphics settings to default to high.
    Check the settings in-game to see if hasn't defaulted to something higher.
    It tends to do that for me, "suggesting" settings higher than my hardware is going to cope well with.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-14 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.