Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You know you need a SSN and a State ID (along with other requirements) to get on welfare right?
    Then why is everyone so against voter ID laws. They say we cant have it cause poor people cant afford ID's according to you they need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't support the creation of a sin tax for sugar.
    I find it interesting you slapped a name on it you could associate with bad religious people in order to be against a tax on objectively unhealthy, high sugar items.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Then why is everyone so against voter ID laws. They say we cant have it cause poor people cant afford ID's according to you they need them.
    Go make another thread asking that question because it isn't related to this one.

Once again, educate yourself on the topic at hand because ur link and you calling me a fucktard show's you don't know what you are talking about.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    How far do you have to travel to a grocery store? It takes less than 5m for me to get to the publix near me, so not much travel or gas, so that's basically nothing, and what, do you pay yourself to prepare your own meals? I don't understand how prep time costs you.
    1. Myself? Not very far. Others, a significant distance.

2. No, but people have a finite amount of time in a day, between work, travel, and other necessary activities. Adding in more food prep time means something else gets cut back. And the USA already has a significant problem with people not getting enough sleep.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I find it interesting you slapped a name on it you could associate with bad religious people in order to be against a tax on objectively unhealthy, high sugar items.
    /Facepalm...

The term they used isn't related to religion.....
    sin tax
    ˈsin ˌtaks/
    nouninformal
    a tax on items considered undesirable or harmful, such as alcohol or tobacco.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-14 at 10:23 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    That's an option for you, but that's not an option for everyone. If we take the $300 for the sale of the TV and used $100 to buy a cheap laptop that leaves you with $200. Where are you getting this Free Wi-Fi? What if you have children? How do you plan on getting to that place with Free Wi-Fi if you've sold off your vehicle to pay the rent? That $200 isn't going to last very long.

The problem many people here have is that they declare the poor person is an individual who is somehow unmotivated and lazy. They almost never take into account the people who had good paying jobs and lost them. They just lump every poor person together, claim they shouldn't have had children if they couldn't afford them, and then demand they sell off all their goods because they're poor and shouldn't have those things.
    Except I'm not doing any of that. Pointing out that when you're cash-poor, having cash is generally more useful than having things isn't a demand. Hell, it's not even a request. And what's with this hang-up about the car? I'm not Titan, why are you lumping him in with me? Especially in the same post as the bit about how lumping people together is wrong, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    ...but I actually don't think encouraging people to save money is that obnoxious.
    Yup. Terrible money management isn't anything isolated to poor people. I know plenty of people with hi tech gear and homes that if they lost their job they would be fucked.

Reminds me when we bought our house the bank runs our credit, looks at all the needed info and says, "We will finance a house for up to $260,000 for you." Keep in mind, in my area of Georgia you could get something around 2500-3000 sqft for that.

I instinctively told my wife "they are fucking nuts". We bought a smaller house (1050sq ft), with stuff like upgraded hardwood floors for around $120,000.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-01-14 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Because Republicans specially make those IDs not eligible for voting?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Seems like a bullshit excuse to tax people more instead of, oh i don't know, taxing the corporations who put so much sugar in?

Can't do that though because uh ____
    If you taxed the corporations, you could just argue they'll pass that on to the consumer anyways. So you can't win with taxing, might as well have no taxes right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I too find it interesting you used normal English words and phrases to express meaning. Such a bizarre thing to do.
    Calling it a sin tax has a pretty clear intention of smearing a simple good health initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    1. Myself? Not very far. Others, a significant distance.

2. No, but people have a finite amount of time in a day, between work, travel, and other necessary activities. Adding in more food prep time means something else gets cut back. And the USA already has a significant problem with people not getting enough sleep.
    A smart thing to do would be to have done grocery shopping for some period of time, and then spend the mornings prepping dinner, maybe even throwing it into a slow cooker in order to have dinner ready or almost ready when you walk in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Seems like a bullshit excuse to tax people more instead of, oh i don't know, taxing the corporations who put so much sugar in?

Can't do that though because uh ____
    You realize that taxing corporations that produce sugared goods and taxing sugared goods have almost the exact same impact, right?

/Facepalm...

The term they used isn't related to religion.....
    I'm not even sure if I should take this guy seriously, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Calling it a sin tax has a pretty clear intention of smearing a simple good health initiative.
    Ummmm no it isn't.......but whatever.

If you taxed the corporations, you could just argue they'll pass that on to the consumer anyways. So you can't win with taxing, might as well have no taxes right?
    That increase won't be as hard on the consumer as if you did it the other way.

One its a example and two it all comes down to what is needed.

A $20 filer isn't needed, A Cell Phone (any type) is quite needed.
    A filter is needed if you live somewhere with old piping where the water tastes more like a film than it does a liquid. And you were arguing that soda is the cheapest route for an energy boost. Soda is probably one of the worst choices you could make, economically and nutritionally, when it comes to an external source of energy. Buying a cheap filter and making caffeinated water or caffeinated tea is not only more cost effective, but won't lead to diabetes, weight gain, rotten teeth, and the myriad of other health risks that come with drinking soda nearly as easily. Soda is also a terrible way to get a boost of energy, because you will end up with the sluggish feeling shortly after, which is the exact opposite of what you want when you're trying to wake yourself up for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    A smart thing to do would be to have done grocery shopping for some period of time, and then spend the mornings prepping dinner, maybe even throwing it into a slow cooker in order to have dinner ready or almost ready when you walk in the door.
    So you think poor people have time to get dinner ready in the morning and also have the spare money to buy a slow cooker (even a cheap $15 one at wal-mart).

I do love how people like you keep assuming all poor foke can do X,Y and Z.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Rice and beans are inexpensive and constitute a complete set of amino acids with a high protein count.
    Yep, there are some high protein foods. The truth is a lot of fruits and veggies don't have a lot of protein though.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you think poor people have time to get dinner ready in the morning and also have the spare money to buy a slow cooker (even a cheap $15 one at wal-mart).

Sure, when Marcus and I were at our worst while he was going back to school, slow cooker meals was our easiest way to save money.

Acting like picking up a slow cooker and tossing a roast and veggies in is some ridiculous, unperformable task is really incredibly infantilizing to the poor. These aren't Hecrulean tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by skatecL5 View Post
    A filter is needed if you live somewhere with old piping where the water tastes more like a film than it does a liquid.
    And a Cell Phone is needed more then a filter so you can keep your job and try to find better ones, along with other needs

This isn't 1970, Cell Phones are required and so is the Internet. You can get a cheap smart phone for $20 and a Cellphone plan for $30 a month (No contract)
    https://www.metropcs.com/shop/phones...t/610214645975
    https://www.metropcs.com/shop/plans

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Sure, when Marcus and I were at our worst while he was going back to school, slow cooker meals was our easiest way to save money.
    But OMG, how did you find the time? Putting some pork, potatoes, onions, and carrots in can take upwards of 5 minutes of your morning. Pulling that off is both stunning and brave.