15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Yes, Reapers don't attack Citadel right away (which any reasonable invasion force would start with), which would immediately nullify our chances. This is fiction, you shouldn't expect it to be perfectly logical and sensible.
    They did. That is what ME 1 was all about. The protheans modified the keepers which usually activate the citadel rely. The keepers didn't respond when it was time for the cycle to begin so Sovereign had to go there to activate it. That is why Saren and the Geth were enlisted. The geth were supposed to replace the keepers as a servant for the next cycle. We stopped them. They had to travel to the next closest rely through dark space. And that is when ME3 picks up.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    He has a point though, lot of people are pushing forward with this "exploration" thingy only to make huge, empty and dull worlds.
    Big difference is, Dragon Age had some tactical based combat ish. Mass Effect is more actiony. The exploration part will be...interesting.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Jesus fuck, you went to fetch a comment 10 days old xD
    Yeah, but if they make the maps as empty as they were in Dragon Age... will still boring as fuck =X
    Pretty much, I mean the idea of exploration is cool buuuuuuuuuuuuut how it plays out is another matter. I want to be excited but

*Points to EA*
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Pretty much, I mean the idea of exploration is cool buuuuuuuuuuuuut how it plays out is another matter. I want to be excited but

*Points to EA*
    I just hope they make areas respawn/be farmable if they have open empty area/exploration.

I assume the crafting will be very similar to Inquisition, so if they go with "Mastercraft" style stuff again, I hope mastercraft items are easier to get/farm. I am pretty OCD about min/maxing in RPGs and Inquisition peeved me since a lot of good ones came from enemy drops early game and those enemies never respawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Meh, I don't think so. MMOs are a genre of the yesteryear. No new one really thrives anymore, it's not worth the huge investment to create one.
    More because people keep designing shitty MMO's. And Wow devs keep getting away with mediocre talent and shitty design.

The problem is when mediocrity is allowed to reign king.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They did. That is what ME 1 was all about. The protheans modified the keepers which usually activate the citadel rely. The keepers didn't respond when it was time for the cycle to begin so Sovereign had to go there to activate it. That is why Saren and the Geth were enlisted. The geth were supposed to replace the keepers as a servant for the next cycle. We stopped them. They had to travel to the next closest rely through dark space. And that is when ME3 picks up.
    Reapers, having access to the Solar relay, could immediately jump to the Citadel space in large numbers and overwhelm the defenses. It wouldn't even be much of a battle, with the Citadel races arguing over who and how to defend, with fleets not ready and not really expecting an invasion, etc. While what the Protheans did helped a bit, it would still be an absolute slaughter.

But, again, it wouldn't make for a very good, or a somewhat long, story. Writers always have to make someone make obvious mistakes, because only this way good plots can be constructed in many cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Reapers, having access to the Solar relay, could immediately jump to the Citadel space in large numbers and overwhelm the defenses. It wouldn't even be much of a battle, with the Citadel races arguing over who and how to defend, with fleets not ready and not really expecting an invasion, etc. While what the Protheans did helped a bit, it would still be an absolute slaughter.

But, again, it wouldn't make for a very good, or a somewhat long, story. Writers always have to make someone make obvious mistakes, because only this way good plots can be constructed in many cases.
    uh. i disagree, no they don't. weak writers have to resort to obvious constant mistakes that are out of character for the characters and the wrold they have set up, but all writers don't HAVE to. (though apparently for all the reaper powers, apparently full genocide takes several generations if we trust Javik's accounts as well as Liara's findings, so even jumping to Citadel wouldn't' result in immediate slaughter.

even ME1 had its logical inconsistencies, but they were not nearly as glaring as ME3.

P.S. I'm too damn lazy to quote the other reply right now, but on finding plans. its not finding the plans that is unbelievable. its the fact that we conveniently find them at the archives that we had been studying for 40 years and they didn't show up until then, but what's even more unbelievable, that despite not even understanding what the heck is that device we are building supposed to do.. we throw ALL our resources into building it anyways. and best part... it actualy works out for the best? this is just... self insert wish fulfillment fanfiction grade writing. which.... is not the only example of such writing in ME3.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-01-15 at 08:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course it would. Which is why when they did get control of it, and move the citadel, it was a slaughter. The thing is though that they could warp directly to it until they hit Batarian space and the Alpha rely. At that point it made more sense to attack the major powers directly because the surprise and confusion of the citadel wouldn't have been as effective. It would have still made for a good story which is why the Citadel was taken over by the Reapers. The story just happened to have us stop it from happening when it should have which made for a good story.

Obvious mistakes can happen when literary figures are not omnipotent. Which most are and even perceived omnipotent characters are shown to have flaws. There really is nothing literary or logically wrong with how the Reapers proceeded with the war effort in ME3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    P.S. I'm too damn lazy to quote the other reply right now, but on finding plans. its not finding the plans that is unbelievable. its the fact that we conveniently find them at the archives that we had been studying for 40 years and they didn't show up until then, but what's even more unbelievable, that despite not even understanding what the heck is that device we are building supposed to do.. we throw ALL our resources into building it anyways. and best part... it actualy works out for the best? this is just... self insert wish fulfillment fanfiction grade writing. which.... is not the only example of such writing in ME3.
    They didn't just find it. It was found when all of the other data was found but nothing was done with it because it wasn't known what it did. You don't have to understand what something is in order to build it. Do you think all of the people that build an airplane understand all of the science behind it? If the blueprints are good enough you can build it with out understanding what it ultimately is or does. Resources were thrown into it because why not? It was hinted at being way to fight the reapers and all of those resources would have been useless if the Reapers won. Could they have put those resources other places? Sure, but would it have had a effect? Another dreadnought, a few more scout recon vessels wouldn't have helped against the reapers.

It doesn't necessarily work out for the best though. It can fail. The different endings are not exactly "for the best" given their different effects. If we use your logic though most endings will be fan fiction grade writing because they all have just as much wish fulfillment as ME3. Or you have the anti-wish endings of ultimate failure. Which still could have worked with Andromeda being in a different galaxy but if the Reapers found out about an expedition they likely would have went to Andromeda in order to wipe out the potential threat of Milky species coming back to combat the Reapers.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    uh. i disagree, no they don't. weak writers have to resort to obvious constant mistakes that are out of character for the characters and the wrold they have set up, but all writers don't HAVE to. (though apparently for all the reaper powers, apparently full genocide takes several generations if we trust Javik's accounts as well as Liara's findings, so even jumping to Citadel wouldn't' result in immediate slaughter.

even ME1 had its logical inconsistencies, but they were not nearly as glaring as ME3.

Just starting with Saren not finding a worker hiding behind a bar (he-he, after killing a fellow specter, the first thing he would do is to swipe the area clean with the Geth, to make sure no witnesses survive), an audio sample of Saren's speech being enough to prove his guilt (almost 200 years from now, when an audio-tape of that quality probably any amateur can make), Wrex joining with Shepard just to take down a local gang leader and for no apparent reason sticking with him...

I mean, if you try really hard to find inconsistencies/loopholes, then you can find a lot of them probably in the best-written book in the world. A certain suspension of disbelief on the player's/reader's/watcher's part is necessary for a fictional plot to work. But if you just decide to pick of everything that doesn't make perfect sense to you personally, then, of course, ME3 plot will look weak - and so will ME1 and ME2 plots, if you are consistent and look at them from the same point as you are looking at ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Of course it would. Which is why when they did get control of it, and move the citadel, it was a slaughter. The thing is though that they could warp directly to it until they hit Batarian space and the Alpha rely. At that point it made more sense to attack the major powers directly because the surprise and confusion of the citadel wouldn't have been as effective. It would have still made for a good story which is why the Citadel was taken over by the Reapers. The story just happened to have us stop it from happening when it should have which made for a good story.

Obvious mistakes can happen when literary figures are not omnipotent. Which most are and even perceived omnipotent characters are shown to have flaws. There really is nothing literary or logically wrong with how the Reapers proceeded with the war effort in ME3.
    Both Prothean VI on Ilos, and later Javik, explain that the reason Protheans lost the war so terribly was that the Reapers quickly captured Citadel, which contained all the relevant information which helped them easily take down all the opposition, also cutting off any hope for the Prothean forces to unite and fight back; all systems were isolated from each other and couldn't coordinate a counterattack.

Having done the same at the beginning of the last invasion, they would destroy all hope for different races to come together in a fight. As it is, they let all the major races assemble and join up the forces for the final fight. It was strategically a very poor choice, and, you bet, Reapers are supposed to be much better strategists than any organics.

I didn't have an issue with it, because I understand that if the Reapers did everything logically, then they would have won quickly and the game wouldn't be very long. But if we are to deliberately pick on every flaw of the story, then this would be one of the first I would pick on.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    More because people keep designing shitty MMO's. And Wow devs keep getting away with mediocre talent and shitty design.

The problem is when mediocrity is allowed to reign king.
    I don't think WoW can be considered mediocre. MMOS generally just go for a model we've all seen before. That and MMOs are huge investments so there isn't that many to see.

No that's not even close to fan fiction. I mean some archive being left on Mars and with how plaes like the Citadel not giving a damn about the Reapers too much and being "NA NA NOT A PROBLEM. DOESN'T EXIST1111"

Some big things fall through the cracks. It wasn't that bad as you make it.

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Having done the same at the beginning of the last invasion, they would destroy all hope for different races to come together in a fight. As it is, they let all the major races assemble and join up the forces for the final fight. It was strategically a very poor choice, and, you bet, Reapers are supposed to be much better strategists than any organics.
    Was it though? Allow your enemy to mass their remaining fleets in one place for a showdown? The Reapers were winning until the Crucible was connected to the citadel and likely even choose to allow it to connect instead of blowing it out the sky in some fashion. None of that goes against them being great at strategy. Could Bioware have had it so Reapers showed up at the staging area and the Citadel fleets jumped away at the last second? Sure. Still doesn't make it a tactical error. Even with that said they could have made mistakes. It isn't the first time the Reapers have under estimated Humans (and other races). Being a tactical genius doesn't mean you are flawless and can't make mistakes. The Reapers might have started off as the omnipotent bogey man that can do anything. But Bioware turned them into just another force that can fall. Of course they had to do that for any sort of victory ending to make sense but it isn't a flaw in the story.

So I decided to replay the trilogy. The advanced textures mod makes ME1 look quite good, especially on my PC(which is obviously waaaay overqualified to be running a game like ME in the first place). And for some reason the Mako controls don't seem as bad on PC(still clunky at times). Decided to play a FemShep going full Renegade this time(few Paragon points here and there just because I'm not gonna always be a total B). I have to say I love Jennifer Hale as a VA, FemShep especially as Renegade just sounds so badass.

I made a Sentinel since my first two playthroughs were Vanguard and Soldier. With Barrier and combination of Tech and Biotic abilities I can still CC, pseudo tank, and deal some damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    So I decided to replay the trilogy. The advanced textures mod makes ME1 look quite good, especially on my PC(which is obviously waaaay overqualified to be running a game like ME in the first place). And for some reason the Mako controls don't seem as bad on PC(still clunky at times). Decided to play a FemShep going full Renegade this time(few Paragon points here and there just because I'm not gonna always be a total B). I have to say I love Jennifer Hale as a VA, FemShep especially as Renegade just sounds so badass.

I made a Sentinel since my first two playthroughs were Vanguard and Soldier. With Barrier and combination of Tech and Biotic abilities I can still CC, pseudo tank, and deal some damage.
    ME1 has aged pretty well I might say, the more arcade-third person shoot em up nature holds out well against the test of time. Soldier and Sentinel are objectively the best builds. Adept is just too painful and slow and Vanguard doesn't do any damage. Not gonna comment on Engineer, never played that.

I wanted to replay the entire trilogy myself before ME4, but then I remember the pain of doing all the Citadel sidequests or gathering all the stuff from planets...

I kinda love replaying ME1 actualy. if you are doing ng+ (and cheating) its possible to mix and match powers almost in a way that they describe in Andromeda. So I often end up playing Sentinel with singularity and sniper rifle :P

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    ME1 has aged pretty well I might say, the more arcade-third person shoot em up nature holds out well against the test of time. Soldier and Sentinel are objectively the best builds. Adept is just too painful and slow and Vanguard doesn't do any damage. Not gonna comment on Engineer, never played that.

I wanted to replay the entire trilogy myself before ME4, but then I remember the pain of doing all the Citadel sidequests or gathering all the stuff from planets...
    Yeah Sentinel is pretty awesome I have to say, especially once you unlock Bastion. The only downside is basically only being able to use Pistol. Kinda weird that I'm this badass soldier but when I try to fire a weapon other then a pistol I have the galaxy's worst potato aim. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Yeah Sentinel is pretty awesome I have to say, especially once you unlock Bastion. The only downside is basically only being able to use Pistol. Kinda weird that I'm this badass soldier but when I try to fire a weapon other then a pistol I have the galaxy's worst potato aim. :P
    This is why Soldier is my preferred class, if you level it properly with a high damage assault rifle you can pretty much run around like Rambo and blow motherfuckers up like you're playing on easy mode. One might argue it's too easy, but you're a glass cannon. Other than that it's fucking gravy train.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why Soldier is my preferred class, if you level it properly with a high damage assault rifle you can pretty much run around like Rambo and blow motherfuckers up like you're playing on easy mode. One might argue it's too easy, but you're a glass cannon. Other than that it's fucking gravy train.
    Wat

In Mass Effect 1 solider was immortal. With high damage protection armor (Colossus) and skill cooldown mods, you could have permanent master immunity which made you basically take no damage from anything forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Wat

In Mass Effect 1 solider was immortal. With high damage protection armor (Colossus) and skill cooldown mods, you could have permanent master immunity which made you basically take no damage from anything forever.
    Yeah, totally forgot about immunity.

Yeah I've done a playthrough as Soldier. I found it boring. I like using actual abilities(besides just self buffs and shields and the like).

At least when I import to ME2-3 I can use SMGs on Sentinel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always assumed that the generic canon run was BroShep/Soldier/Space Born/War Hero.

After that, it worked out to be that Colonist's best class involved Tech and Earthborn's best class involved Biotics. The only one I would dispute would be Engineer could be a Space Born.