Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It was not rock inclusive! Where are suggestions for rocks on how to roll?

Seriously though huh? These papers were clearly a collection of suggestions from the opposite sex, not some hegemonic cis-normative autocracy. In a class to teach these kids relevant things about being adults. You know like the old home economics classes. A class this young woman clearly needs because her mother is poisoning her mind with this nonsense.

How many of you appreciated some straight forward ADVICE on social dating get norms as a STARTING POINT when you first start after dating. Of course this isn't going to apply to everyone, it's quite obvious to anyone with knowledge of what the word suggestion means. And note that in these suggestions lists there are some common thoughts that both the boys and girls polled had. Like respect each other.

Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint, but the internet needs to wake up to the fact that no one viewpoint including your own is inherently better or worse than another. And that furthermore it's useful to temper your ideas by considering opposing ideas through a more flattering lens. Finally let the word misogyny die. It only serves to embitter people like this young woman's mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    There is no need for everything to be gender neutral or for it to cater to people who are not interested in the opposite sex.
    We are talking about something that's supposed to prepare students, is there a reason why gay and bi students should be ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    why yes, yes i am saying that, because apparently you didnt even bother reading what my first post was about. suggestions about how to have a successful date and a suggestion to kill someone are two INCREDIBLY EFFING DIFFERENT THINGS.

why you felt the need to bring up the killing someone suggestion, well only you know that, but it was a pathetic attempt to discredit my post regardless.
    Thats the problem here man, we not need to discuss anymore, you wont understand. the problem here is that you think that suggestions arent wrong. like killing, WRONG. I imagine you are grow person right now, i cant change anything here, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if most females of the human species turn out to be feminine.
    That doesn't actually mean anything. What is feminine? Make-up, dresses, flowers, hearts, soft voice, kind words? Plenty of women aren't like that, and they don't need to be like that to get a date either because there are people who prefer a different kind of woman. This assignment is trash

Quote Originally Posted by Saiako View Post
    The whole this is offensive to BOTH sexes the guy is expected by the GIRL to pay and never question how much they pay and just shut up AND they need to be parents of the girl they are going out with as well seeing as they are the ones who have the responsibility of getting them home in time both of these expectations are baffeling.

And as its been mentioned a billion times a girl is supose to act a certain way is a fucking joke but at least the girls part did have "relax and be yourself" but oddly it conflicts with EVERYTHING said previously.
    Exactly, it's offensive to both sexes. I lol'd at "Do this, be like that, respond properly, have a sense of humor, don't do that, don't talk about that - but relax and be yourself".
    Last edited by Selinde; 2017-01-14 at 04:10 PM.

At least it wasn't institutionalized - it was an opinion piece. The teacher never told anyone to do anything (except the date). The rest was real advice from what real people wanted. You don't have to listen to advice. The parents shouldn't be upset about the advice, they should be upset about the ridiculous assignment itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We are talking about something that's supposed to prepare students, is there a reason why gay and bi students should be ignored?
    This is like bitching that a cooking class shouldn't teach people how to make meat because it's not useful for vegetarians. Being more inclusive would be a fine thing to do, but I'm not going to wring my hands if something's only suitable for 97% of the population.

(Also, yes, 2-3% is consistent with best current estimates. There are ~1.5-3% that are gay and a few more that are bi. Obviously straight dating advice is useful for bi people, so there's no reason to count them separately here. Likewise, trans people generally want to act like their identified gender, so straight dating advice is generally fine for them as well.)
    Last edited by Spectral; 2017-01-14 at 04:34 PM.

Some cringe-worthy stuff in there honestly. It presumes a lot of social behavior that is formed from a misogynistic-friendly history. I don't think it is offensive, per se. Some of it can be worded in such a way as to not be so ancient seeming if you will.

The thread title here is fairly problematic too. Obliviousness to such is kind of the problem. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    Thats the problem here man, we not need to discuss anymore, you wont understand. the problem here is that you think that suggestions arent wrong. like killing, WRONG. I imagine you are grow person right now, i cant change anything here, sorry.
    is the concept of a suggestion just too difficult for you to grasp? never mind.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like a case of poor judgement by the teacher. The assignment came out of an assignment db, and she should have looked at it and realized it sounds like something from the 50's or earlier and tossed it out. But she went ahead with it which was the mistake. The school realized the mistake and said they didn't have to do a date and it's been removed from the db now.

There's probably a larger issue about greater social anxiety nowadays partially due to the Internet leading to less teen dating. For some people it's probably easier to ask someone out over social media, but even that kind of carries the "creeper" stigma. It's definitely different now from 20 years ago where it would be more likely to happen in person. Even things like high school football games don't seem as attended by students as they were. High school dances used to be more of a thing to initiate teen dating than now I think too.

And they tell the boys not to feel entitled to a kiss. Guess that means they think all men are rapists.

Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    That doesn't actually mean anything. What is feminine? Make-up, dresses, flowers, hearts, soft voice, kind words? Plenty of women aren't like that, and they don't need to be like that to get a date either because there are people who prefer a different kind of woman. This assignment is trash
    When you say plenty, are you saying there's a significant minority of women that are essentially bull dykes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is like bitching that a cooking class shouldn't teach people how to make meat because it's not useful for vegetarians. Being more inclusive would be a fine thing to do, but I'm not going to wring my hands if something's only suitable for 97% of the population.

(Also, yes, 2-3% is consistent with best current estimates. There are ~1.5-3% that are gay and a few more that are bi. Obviously straight dating advice is useful for bi people, so there's no reason to count them separately here. Likewise, trans people generally want to act like their identified gender, so straight dating advice is generally fine for them as well.)
    That's a dumb analogy. A more sound idea here btw is "why can't a cooking class also teach a few vegatarian meals for those who are vegetarian"

Also the point is imagine how a gay youth who lives in an area that isn't progressive would feel, considering many are already in pretty fragile states.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That's a dumb analogy. A more sound idea here btw is "why can't a cooking class also teach a few vegatarian meals for those who are vegetarian"

Also the point is imagine how a gay youth who lives in an area that isn't progressive would feel, considering many are already in pretty fragile states.
    So the analogy works does work. Sure, it'd be nice if they included a few other things, but it's pretty easy to see why they didn't go out of their way to cater to a very tiny minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So the analogy works does work. Sure, it'd be nice if they included a few other things, but it's pretty easy to see why they didn't go out of their way to cater to a very tiny minority.

That's a weird assertion you have that it's going out of the way. It's like saying it's difficult. It is not difficult.

What is wrong with feminine and lady-like?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    This is a pretty ridiculous assignment to give to teen girls, you don't have to be an SJW to see that. If you make everything rational people think is absurd into "SJWs just getting triggered" then you lose the meaning of SJW pretty quickly. Don't turn SJW into the new "Racist!"
    I found it to be weird; I don't like people getting involved in my personal/sexual life, especially not the government or school. At the same time, I could see it as a sort of socialization promotion process for those more liberal than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
    What is wrong with feminine and lady-like?
    Nothing if the girl likes to be like that. Everything if it's someone else suggesting the girl to be feminine just to appeal to boys' (apparently applied to every boy) preferences and taste, according to the list. What is wrong with just being oneself?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    When you say plenty, are you saying there's a significant minority of women that are essentially bull dykes?
    Look, I know you can do better than this. I'm saying that there are plenty (as in, well, plenty) of women and teenagers who don't like flowers, or have short hair, or would rather wear jeans than a dress, don't have a caregiving nature and can be pretty competitive. Is that a "bull dyke"? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Selinde; 2017-01-15 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    Nothing if the girl likes to be like that. Everything if it's someone else suggesting the girl to be feminine just to appeal to boys' (apparently applied to every boy) preferences and taste, according to the list. What is wrong with just being oneself?
    So being oneself for women is acting and being unfeminine? I'm confused. How are those things mutually exclusive? You can be yourself and be feminine at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    I think its bloody weird that a school is setting homework to go on a date, wtfs up with that?
    What business does the school have in the dating lives of its students?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    It sounds like a case of poor judgement by the teacher. The assignment came out of an assignment db, and she should have looked at it and realized it sounds like something from the 50's or earlier and tossed it out. But she went ahead with it which was the mistake. The school realized the mistake and said they didn't have to do a date and it's been removed from the db now.

There's probably a larger issue about greater social anxiety nowadays partially due to the Internet leading to less teen dating. For some people it's probably easier to ask someone out over social media, but even that kind of carries the "creeper" stigma. It's definitely different now from 20 years ago where it would be more likely to happen in person. Even things like high school football games don't seem as attended by students as they were. High school dances used to be more of a thing to initiate teen dating than now I think too.
    Are you sure you're sufficiently familiar with Utah to assess this correctly for the locale?