Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ah so basically a spiritual memory?

- - - Updated - - -

WoD had a great chance to tell the story. Problem is they introduced people like Grom and Yrel and did fuck all with them until the end of HFC. WoD is a fucking insult to Grommash Hellscream imho. Character development was the most awful I ever saw in WoD. But yeah it's getting a bit off topic.
    Pretty much . Think of them like photos - a reflection of a being etched in eternity - except due to his awesomeness , Medivh's photos can whoop asses & take names

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post
    Pretty much . Think of them like photos - a reflection of a being etched in eternity - except due to his awesomeness , Medivh's photos can whoop asses & take names
    Meanwhile all my photos can do is either sit in my screenshots folder or on a mantelpiece

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post
    Pretty much, due to Medivh's massive magical prowess, he can affect things but Blizzard stays away from it since well WCIII's ending is significant.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Well apparently no one fucking dies in Warcraft anymore, whether it's demon, demon hunter, human or other. Then again we had shit like Altar of Storms all the way back in WC3 where you could resurrect heroes for the modest cost of a few hundred gold.

Look at Uther, we contacted him during one of the artifact quests and he was like hey guys wassup, so everyone's spirit is somewhere ready to be accessed at your heart's delight and stuck into a physical shell.
    Warcraft's afterlife is not like it's believed to be in the real world. Also, yeah, they're dead. Body's now food for maggots while the spirit moves on.

Fucking Archimonde died in at least 3 separate timelines already and the motherfucker still comes back like nothing happened.
    Hello? Did you somehow miss the various in-game explanations that a demon can only truly die if killed in the Twisting Nether, otherwise its body reforms over time?

Medivh on the other hand was a Guardian, resurrected by a Guardian, bound to a magical tower that transcends dimensions, past-possessed by a Titan, all kinds of shit.
    Medivh wasn't 'bound' to Karazhan. What we see are echoes of his memories made 'sentient' by magic.

As long as there's a planet somewhere with a bunch of motherfuckers with some magical competency they'll just cast some kabbala voodoo shit and summon back Arthas to fucking Aman'Thul himself.
    Despite the name of the Priest ability, resurrection is not an easy and simple spell in the universe of Warcraft. Necromancy is one thing, but true resurrection? I think I only saw it happen one in all of WoW, and even then, it was done by a Death Knight, so I don't know how true said 'resurrection' is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Despite the name of the Priest ability, resurrection is not an easy and simple spell in the universe of Warcraft. Necromancy is one thing, but true resurrection? I think I only saw it happen one in all of WoW, and even then, it was done by a Death Knight, so I don't know how true said 'resurrection' is.
    Pretty sure it was explained in the lore that the only reason the player characters are able to "resurrect" is because there's a bunch of renegade Val'kyr covering our asses in the form of the Spirit Healers. I may have misinterpreted that bit, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I'd guess that the spells in WoW that bring people back from the dead are only a tiny spark or trigger, with the Val'kyr doing the heavy lifting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Pretty sure it was explained in the lore that the only reason the player characters are able to "resurrect" is because there's a bunch of renegade Val'kyr covering our asses in the form of the Spirit Healers. I may have misinterpreted that bit, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I'd guess that the spells in WoW that bring people back from the dead are only a tiny spark or trigger, with the Val'kyr doing the heavy lifting.
    Rezzing is a bit harder in actual lore(Minus Spirit Healers).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Rezzing is a bit harder in actual lore(Minus Spirit Healers).
    Undoubtably. The one case I can think of where an Altar of Storms was used in WoW, the demon hunter in question ended up having his soul sealed together in an eternal conflict with a dreadlord(I think you get him as a follower in the DH order hall?).

Although the OP does have kind of a point. LOTS of characters have a bad habit of not staying "dead". It's like a bad comic book story. There's a pretty big list of people who haven't stayed down. Even freakin Muradin didn't stay dead, and he was killed way back in WC3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Undoubtably. The one case I can think of where an Altar of Storms was used in WoW, the demon hunter in question ended up having his soul sealed together in an eternal conflict with a dreadlord(I think you get him as a follower in the DH order hall?).

Although the OP does have kind of a point. LOTS of characters have a bad habit of not staying "dead". It's like a bad comic book story. There's a pretty big list of people who haven't stayed down. Even freakin Muradin didn't stay dead, and he was killed way back in WC3.
    Comic book characters technically come back all time

But yes sometimes characters don't stay dead but a Fantasy world like Warcraft will have returning old characters often. Just not as much as comic book characters. Not nearly as much. >.>

Warrior-Magi

Assuming you're being serious here, this is the first time I hear something like that, and it sounds way too much like a player's wild theory than anything resembling fact, due to all the holes in it, like why do those "renegade val'kyr" don't bring back Varian, or Uther, or Vol'jin, for example?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a game franchise set in a fantasy world with a rule-set that is pretty wild and wacky. The tone and story has always allowed for resurrections and spirit-talk, although I do agree with you that they pull this card out a little too often.

Likely a reason as to why they showed Varian explode. So there would be no doubt this time, they actually killed off a character.

Old Blanchy. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    There are major/minor characters before them who are still dead.

Antonidas, Mograine, Uther, Kilrogg (MU), Llane Wrynn and Ogrim Doomhammer for example.

My point is if they do it then I'll happily say I was wrong but well until that time possibly happens they are deceased.
    Uther and Morgraine have came back as ghosts and interacted with us so yea they are technically dead but not totally gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Uther and Morgraine have came back as ghosts and interacted with us so yea they are technically dead but not totally gone.
    Being a ghost in no way means they aren't dead. So......that's irrelevant.

OP is just complaining about something else without understanding what he's saying.

Varian, Gul'dan, Garrosh, Vol'Jin, Rag, Arthas, Deathwing, The Fucking Pantheon, And more. THEY'RE ALL DED!

What the fuck are you talking about? Only the Player's can't die.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Undeath Still= Dead....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Well apparently no one fucking dies in Warcraft anymore, whether it's demon, demon hunter, human or other. Then again we had shit like Altar of Storms all the way back in WC3 where you could resurrect heroes for the modest cost of a few hundred gold.

Look at Uther, we contacted him during one of the artifact quests and he was like hey guys wassup, so everyone's spirit is somewhere ready to be accessed at your heart's delight and stuck into a physical shell.

Fucking Archimonde died in at least 3 separate timelines already and the motherfucker still comes back like nothing happened.

Medivh on the other hand was a Guardian, resurrected by a Guardian, bound to a magical tower that transcends dimensions, past-possessed by a Titan, all kinds of shit.

The guy can do whatever the fuck he wants, even if he dies he'll be back somehow if he wants. Wish they'd followed Warcraft 3 lore and let him be a "legend of the past", but after Warlords of Draenor I've realized they'll even bring back Anduin Lothar if it suits their nostalgia purpose.

As long as there's a planet somewhere with a bunch of motherfuckers with some magical competency they'll just cast some kabbala voodoo shit and summon back Arthas to fucking Aman'Thul himself.

Shit's getting out of hand.
    Almost everyone you mention is either dead, or is going to die soon.

Hell, ARCHIMONDE is dead as of now! Blizzard confirmed that they might change it, but as of now, he's dead....

Op is talking about characters being dead but still brought up in the game were traditionally when someone dies they are never heard from again or taken out the story completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Assuming you're being serious here, this is the first time I hear something like that, and it sounds way too much like a player's wild theory than anything resembling fact, due to all the holes in it, like why do those "renegade val'kyr" don't bring back Varian, or Uther, or Vol'jin, for example?
    From the wiki on Spirit-Healers:
    Spirit Healers are val'kyr who choose to remain in the Shadowlands for those unfortunate adventurers whose spirits will soon join them.
    And the wiki about the Shadowlands:

Keeper Odyn used knowledge he gleaned from this place to create the first Val'kyr, Helya, and tasked her with bringing the souls of worthy Vrykul to the Ha ls of Valor. Later Val'kyr were created by the Lich King and used to corrupt Vrykul into his servants. Spirit Healers are uncorrupted Val'kyr who chose, after Odyn's defeat, to remain in the Shadowlands and assist the dead in returning to the land of the living.
    Apparently this is explained in the book "World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1". It seems retconned to me. But I'm sure the team at Blizzard has a LOT of background already written up. Still, there's no explanation for why the Spirit Healers only rez players instead of NPCs. It's some 4th wall breaking stuff, I'd say. They know the difference between players and NPCs. xD

Or it could just be a game mechanic with a lame explanation.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-01-15 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    They're more like "echoes". Not really him, just traces left over due to his enormous magical power/presence. Or something.
    Uh, no. Medivh that you meet after the chess event and the one that talks to Khadgar after the final boss is the real Medivh, he's alive. He comments on all the echoes of himself that he left in the tower and Khadgar recognizes him as the real Medivh. Have you not read any of the conversations?
    Last edited by Adoxe; 2017-01-15 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Hell, ARCHIMONDE is dead as of now! Blizzard confirmed that they might change it, but as of now, he's dead....
    I think that's because he was killed right in front of a portal directly to the Twisting Nether, or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Uh, no. Medivh that you meet after the chess event and the one that talks to Khadgar after the final boss is the real Medivh, he's alive. He comments on all the echoes of himself that he left in the tower and Khadgar recognizes him as the real Medivh. Have you not read any of the conversations?
    pretty much this, he's alive just been MIA since the end of warcraft 3.

I think that's because he was killed right in front of a portal directly to the Twisting Nether, or something like that?
    No. In mythic, Archimonde sends the players to the nether at 40/45% health. He dies, but we get the regular WoD ending before he dies....so...yeah.

Blizzard is considering of bringing him back, but they're undecided as of now. So, in a SENSE, he's dead.