Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    Not that I'm for this topic at all, but I would assume the reason why is because they actually fill you and keep you alive and Soda does not necessarily do that. TBH, I haven't really read up on if someone can live just drinking soda as a 'food', but I know for certain that you can pretty much do that with Pasta. When I lived in New York for a year and a half what I could or couldn't eat was often dictated by what was on sale rather than what I wanted. My diet was awful and I ate pretty much nothing but Pasta because frankly I can't think of anything else near Yonkers that would let you have multiple meals off of $2-3, and I was working minimum wage.

Would not suggest it, it sucked. My weight ballooned and I'm still losing it. But I can objectively say that those empty calories, even if I obviously had nutrient deficiencies did their job since I'm still around. It was worse for my boyfriend because he lost a ton of muscle mass from the lack of protein and it really made him go from upbeat to depressed as hell for quite some time.
    well lets take a look at the science, shall we?

Nutrition Facts
    Cola, without caffeine
    Amount Per 1 can 12 fl oz (368 g)
    Calories 150
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 15 mg 0%
    Potassium 11 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 39 g
    Protein 0 g 0%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 0%

Nutrition Facts
    Pasta, fresh-refrigerated, cooked
    Amount Per 2 oz (57 g)
    Calories 75
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.6 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 19 mg 6%
    Sodium 3 mg 0%
    Potassium 14 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 4%
    Protein 2.9 g 5%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 3%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Vitamin B-12 1% Magnesium 2%

pasta does not fulfill any significant nutritional needs other than carbohydrates, same as soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Tomatoes are one of the most expensive low calories health items? Seriously, what don't you understand that healthy foods have lower calories and unhealthy have more on average. Are there healthy high calorie foods? Sure, but those are also expensive. Feel free to find a study that supports your argument though.
    I said ONE OF THE MOST, BEING THE SALMON (thought this was obvious), not the tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    snip
    Fuck, I think I would have preferred just drinking soda than eating spaghetti all the time and the occasional garlic-salted noodles. Bleeeeeehhhhh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I have no care if low income people drink Soda or eat Junk food. But they should just admit they do it because they are lazy or just want to. instead of always complaining about Healthy Food being too expensive which is a poor excuse. By the logic of these people anyone that gets a good wage should ONLY eat healthy food because they can afford it. But no, people still drink and eat low quality junk food because they enjoy it.

If drinking soda or eating junk food is just above "just surviving" to you, well that is just sad.
    Healthy food, by and large, is more expensive. Even in the cases where it isn't, food deserts are a thing for a lot of people.

It's almost as if there are multiple factors contributing to the problem rather than one easy soundbite that Republicans can exploit to trigger idiot voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I have no care if low income people drink Soda or eat Junk food. But they should just admit they do it because they are lazy or just want to. instead of always complaining about Healthy Food being too expensive which is a poor excuse. By the logic of these people anyone that gets a good wage should ONLY eat healthy food because they can afford it. But no, people still drink and eat low quality junk food because they enjoy it.

If drinking soda or eating junk food is just above "just surviving" to you, well that is just sad.
    No one said they do it only because it's cheaper. Obviously there is an enjoyment aspect, however, at least in poorer inner-city areas, access to fresh, quality, healthier alternatives are in short supply. When people are struggling to make ends meet with 2 jobs and food stamps, spending time at the grocery store is less important than 5 minutes in a McDonald's drive-through.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    80% of corporate welfare goes to executive bonuses. Which one is the bigger problem?

Soda has nothing to do with the cost of healthy vs junk. It's a 100% pointless purchase. I would be fine with certain items not being allowed. Soda, candy, chips, etc...

Eating healthy can be cheap. As others have mentioned, things like rice and beans are very cheap and go a long way. Oatmeal and grits are another two examples. Just a week ago the local store had 10 pound potato bags for $1. There are sales all the time on fruit and veggies. Even some meats can be cheap with chicken quarters/thighs/legs going under $1/lb.

I understand there are problem areas where grocery shopping options are limited. That's obviously needs to be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Soda has nothing to do with the cost of healthy vs junk. It's a 100% pointless purchase. I would be fine with certain items not being allowed. Soda, candy, chips, etc...

Eating healthy can be cheap. As others have mentioned, things like rice and beans are very cheap and go a long way. Oatmeal and grits are another two examples. Just a week ago the local store had 10 pound potato bags for $1. There are sales all the time on fruit and veggies. Even some meats can be cheap with chicken quarters/thighs/legs going under $1/lb.

Arguing that healthy food is expensive while tossing out examples of the most expensive types of fish is a bit ridiculous.
    Again, this is the opinion of entitled middle class surburbanites with a variety of food options and the money to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, this is the opinion of entitled middle class surburbanites with a variety of food options and the money to buy them.
    This is completely false.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is completely false.
    No, it isn't.

Food deserts are a thing and a fairly significant problem for a lot of Americans, as is the fact that time and effort are also factors in food choices.

Moreover, carb heavy diets are not healthy.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cmon. People are allowed to buy some sweets.

No, it isn't.

Food deserts are a thing and a fairly significant problem for a lot of Americans, as is the fact that time and effort are also factors in food choices.

Moreover, carb heavy diets are not healthy.
    Fewer shopping options are a problem for some areas. Not most. The vast majority of people on SNAP aren't limited to a convenient store for grocery shopping.

Also, this has nothing to do with things like soda. If your tap water is poison and you have to buy drinks at a gas station then you can probably buy water too. Same goes for chips and candy.

No, it isn't.
    You made an incorrect assumption about me. It was false. Now you know.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2017-01-15 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fewer shopping options are a problem for some areas. Not most. The vast majority of people on SNAP aren't limited to a convenient store for grocery shopping.
    Source?

Also, this has nothing to do with things like soda. If your tap water is poison and you have to buy drinks at a gas station then you can probably buy water too. Same goes for chips and candy.
    "Let them eat cake."

Source?

"Let them eat cake."
    You're the one making it sound like half the people on SNAP can only shop at a convenient store. Most areas of the country have a nearby grocery store. Feel free to browse google maps for a nearby location. Even if you live in a big city there are shops that sell groceries. Only some bad off neighborhoods only have convenient stores nearby.

I'd love to know what you're basing your assumptions off of? Mine are based off of experiences living in both rural and city areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the one making it sound like half the people on SNAP can only shop at a convenient store. Most areas of the country have a nearby grocery store. Feel free to browse google maps for a nearby location. Even if you live in a big city there are shops that sell groceries. Only some bad off neighborhoods only have convenient stores nearby.

I'd love to know what you're basing your assumptions off of?

And this somehow proves that people need to buy soda and candy bars?

How are you making that leap?

10+ Year Old Account
    And this somehow proves that people need to buy soda and candy bars?

How are you making that leap?
    Do you not understand the definition of a food desert?

Do you not understand the definition of a food desert?
    What shop sells soda but doesn't have water?

10+ Year Old Account
    What shop sells soda but doesn't have water?
    Bottled soda is often cheaper than bottled water, point in fact.

Even then, this idea that poor people should 'just drink water' is the opinion of entitled assholes unwilling to acknowledge that the system has severe issues with inequality.

Bottled soda is often cheaper than bottled water, point in fact.
    Outside of Flint, who are these people that don't have access to water? Are you basing any of this on a real person or just in your imagination?

Also, what is this shop that sells really expensive water and cheap soda?

When it comes to food it's the same story. Every convenient store I have ever been in has alternatives to candy and chips.