Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I guess it looks ok. Mostly dislike the colorful squares inside. Is it for children or adults?
    How do you propose they choose a single colour?
    Pick one and I will tell you which party or country you've (unknowingly?) supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ropa-brussels/

People complain about the price, but I also complain about its ugliness. I cannot believe you would build such a building using post-modern design in our Old World... and for such an astronomic amount of money.

The EU is over soon, though, so enjoy the hideousness while it lasts.
    What's with your irrational hate towards modern and neo-futurist architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    How do you propose they choose a single colour?
    Pick one and I will tell you which party or country you've (unknowingly?) supported.
    I don't think the issue is that the varied amount of colors, but the palette: they wen't with very bright and saturated ones.
    I don't have an issue with it, and the elevator looks trippy and fun. But there are other more sober choices that could work too.

Quote Originally Posted by gugu View Post
    I don't think the issue is that the varied amount of colors, but the palette: they wen't with very bright and saturated ones.
    I don't have an issue with it, and the elevator looks trippy and fun. But there are other more sober choices that could work too.
    All of those sober choices are already taken for political parties and countries in the EU.

Kinda like it .. it is unique enough to not look like every other official building, the colours inside is a bit hard on the eyes but i guess it could look a bit different when you see it in person.

The price ... well big stuff cost money and the timing .. not like they planned to make this last week so if it is done on a not so lucky time .. well that's it.

If i ever visit the city i would plan a half day to see it.

Not many big new buildings that have been make over the time of history was praised for its look when it was made, the opera house in Sidney pops into mind.

Edit: The globe looks dope AF at night.
    Last edited by Drungan; 2017-01-15 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ropa-brussels/

People complain about the price, but I also complain about its ugliness. I cannot believe you would build such a building using post-modern design in our Old World... and for such an astronomic amount of money.

Oh hey, it's you, the person who unironically and unsarcastically argued that World of Warcraft belongs to Europe.
    I see you're here to complain, just to complain because it's about the union. You'd probably call getting fluffy kittens for all the delegates to cuddle a waste of money and resources too, even if you got one too because fuck, we GOTTA complain about the EU.
    You're predictable and repetitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What's with your irrational hate towards modern and neo-futurist architecture?
    it's standard for the OP. Have you seen the threads he makes? There is no logic, rhyme or reason to it.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2017-01-15 at 02:42 PM.

All of those sober choices are already taken for political parties and countries in the EU.
    That's a weird claim, given that parties and countries go for bright and saturated colors in their logos and flags.

We're they subconsciously trying to make it look like Borg cube?

Because that would be fitting given the nature of the EU.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    That said, the facade looks awful. There's nothing attractive about it. The shapes and forms are straight and square, which is very boring.
    But the inside looks nicer, though reminds me of a kindergarten.
    Perhaps there is a structural reason for things, perhaps safety reasons too, but in appearance I don't like it. Personally I prefer a clean look
    And you'd think that if they're doing the solar panels, they'd move away from having lots of windows that leak heat.

I dunno, I can't see any logic or unity to this construction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    We're they subconsciously trying to make it look like Borg cube?

Because that would be fitting given the nature of the EU.
    Unlike...who?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure he gets what trouble he'd be in if it ever happened.
    Nobody that wants the EU deconstructed understand the shit we'd all be in without it.
    Im sure they'd all prefer to be bullied and pushed around by Russia instead, or maybe just get annexed by whomever, when there's no unity to resist.
    Just look at the U.K., they wanted out but hillariously they still want to have all the benefits of being in the EU.

That's a weird claim, given that parties and countries go for bright and saturated colors in their logos and flags.
    Have you looked at those colours in the pictures and videos?

Have you looked at those colours in the pictures and videos?
    I have, yes. It's like a flag mashup.

Quote Originally Posted by Svad View Post
    Op is from Bosnia / Herzegovina, so if the EU should get demolished, his country would go straight back to the stone age...

Though on another topic, his Avatar, used to say he was in Denmark, so I guess he could always come back, and recieve benefits... arh, no, he couldnt, the EU doesnt exist... we dont have to allow him in

*Im not a racist, im just trying to make him aware, that the EU is keeping his country afloat.
    It is indeed, all of the Ex-Jugoslavia-states have a extreme lack of jobs, hence the big migration from these states to central and western Europe. And I'm not racist about this, half of my ancestors come from Ex-Jugoslavia. You can be glad to be in the EU because you're in one of the countries that gets more money out of it than it has to put in. With that said I don't want to say everything is good about the EU in it's current state. For example neoliberalising everything including agriculture (TTIP, CETA) is a huge problem. You can make a lot of money with this process in the short term but we'll be losing a lot of agriculturable land and money long term and in addition we're destroying the environment big time. With all respect but I don't want to have the USA as a role model in terms of agriculture.

Well, 300m doesn't sound really expensive for me. It also doesn't strike me as especially ugly. I've seen prettier buildings, but I wouldn't really call it ugly.

What I don't get is the colorful interior. Very likely it's representing the different EU nations blabla, and it might have some appeal now. But the colors will wash out over the years, and imagine how this will look like in 10 or 20 years, like the floor of some 80's Woolworth market...

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    That said, the facade looks awful. There's nothing attractive about it. The shapes and forms are straight and square, which is very boring.
    But the inside looks nicer, though reminds me of a kindergarten.
    Perhaps there is a structural reason for things, perhaps safety reasons too, but in appearance I don't like it. Personally I prefer a clean look
    And you'd think that if they're doing the solar panels, they'd move away from having lots of windows that leak heat.
    the consilium of europa page says:
    The facade consists of a patchwork of restored wooden window frames from renovation or demolition sites in all the EU countries. They serve a dual purpose:

promote sustainable development and recycling of materials
    testify to EU artisanship and cultural diversity
    The facade is also a reminder of the EU motto: "united in diversity" as all the windows are different but all are made of oak or similar species.

The Europa building was designed by the joint venture Samyn and Partners (Belgium) - Studio Valle Progettazioni (Italy) - Buro Happold (United Kingdom). The Belgian authorities, through the Belgian Buildings Agency, have assumed the role of prime contractor for the building work.

From the looks if it, it's mostly symbolic. But I'm also not a fan.
    As for energy efficiency, I think glass panes can be used as a kind of greenhouse. Most of the volume it houses goes unused in the upper levels, so it's not like they'll be heating anything but the bottom. Not sure how they cycle the air exactly, but there's probably some tech solution to it (specially if they're given some green award).

I have, yes. It's like a flag mashup.
    We must have been looking at different things then.

Windows look like scaffolding...

Great to see all EU countries funds going towards stupid things like this...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes yes, the EU cannot possible survive without the Glory of the United Kingdom!

Keep trumpeting.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes yes, the EU cannot possible survive without the Glory of the United Kingdom!

Keep trumpeting.
    Not to back up his point or anything since it's more wishful thinking on his part than anything but with Trump's apparent hostility towards the EU (Hmm, I wonder who benefits from that) coupled with the complexity of Brexit, the EU is in a pretty precarious position. It won't end soon but people need to be vigilant.

Deleted
    A bit bland, but certainly not ugly.
    It's ok that some people have a bit of nostalgia for ancient styles. And it's nice that we make efforts to protect old buildings. But nostalgia should not prevent us from developing new styles.
    These new styles are ugly, and nobody will remember them for anything good in the future. They make no statement to our minds and hearts about the culture, environment, history, or anything else, like the grand-style buildings serve as a testament to. They are objectively bad, considering they make people more prone to anxiety/stress due to their inherently unnatural appearances (i.e., having shapes, colours, and materials that are usually not found in nature in the same sense - e.g., by being very glassy and boxy, edgy and sharp, etc.). If a building should represent our continent, it should indeed represent our continent. A style in say, Romano-Gothic form would literally suit every single European country.

Quote Originally Posted by Svad View Post
    Op is from Bosnia / Herzegovina, so if the EU should get demolished, his country would go straight back to the stone age...

Though on another topic, his Avatar, used to say he was in Denmark, so I guess he could always come back, and recieve benefits... arh, no, he couldnt, the EU doesnt exist... we dont have to allow him in

*Im not a racist, im just trying to make him aware, that the EU is keeping his country afloat.
    Who said I was in Denmark because of the EU? Besides, my country isn't even in the EU to begin with. Not sure what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Oh hey, it's you, the person who unironically and unsarcastically argued that World of Warcraft belongs to Europe.
    I see you're here to complain, just to complain because it's about the union. You'd probably call getting fluffy kittens for all the delegates to cuddle a waste of money and resources too, even if you got one too because fuck, we GOTTA complain about the EU.
    You're predictable and repetitive.

it's standard for the OP. Have you seen the threads he makes? There is no logic, rhyme or reason to it.
    What do you mean by "belongs to Europe"? Warcraft doesn't "belong to it" but it is, at its core, based on European elements, which means that if you took them out, you would have a very different game and it would no longer be the Warcraft you know. It is a European-inspired game.

Enjoy the glorious Medieval-themed music in it while you're at it.

These new styles are ugly, and nobody will remember them for anything good in the future. They make no statement to our minds and hearts about the culture, environment, history, or anything else, like the grand-style buildings serve as a testament to. They are objectively bad, considering they make people more prone to anxiety/stress due to their inherently unnatural appearances (i.e., having shapes, colours, and materials that are usually not found in nature in the same sense - e.g., by being very glassy and boxy, edgy and sharp, etc.). If a building should represent our continent, it should indeed represent our continent. A style in say, Romano-Gothic form would literally suit every single European country.
    Said every citizen in the history of ever at the sight of a monstrous and out of scale cathedral.
    Architecture is not natural. It's about dominating and domesticating it. Check any traditional building and see how many have earthen colors. Very few, as stone was reserved for the rich. The rest is painted in very unnatural colors. The first styles that thought about nature as inspiration was the several modern movements.

This one instance, is bland. I will forget it by tomorrow probably. And I won't cry when it gets replaced, as most buildings are. Very little of the stuff we build deserves any praise at all. This happens with new styles and old ones too: most buildings are ultimately lame and replaceable.
    That we like the old stuff so much is only a testament to this process: we only keep the very few things that shine.